• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufus

24 Hour Classic Gem Promo: Darkstone. 60% off ($2.39). The promo lasts until Tuesday, October 29 at 10:59AM GMT.

http://www.gog.com/news/classic_gem_promo_darkstone
D'aw, the smaller text is completely borked. Your characters stats and I imagine a lot of other things are unreadable. Seems to be an issue with graphics cards and/or drivers. I'll try it out on my netbook and report back then.

Update: Yup, the text is readable on my netbook. It has an Intel GMA 3150, running DX11. You might have to fuck with Ati Tray Tools or Riva Tuner respectively if you buy this. Relevant post from the GOG forums: http://www.gog.com/forum/darkstone/messed_up_font/post6

mclem

I don't recall GOG ever claiming about a Grand Finale, although I may just have missed it.

Anyhow, today's release:

Outlast ($13.39 currently)

Edit: More Haloween-themed stuff:
Deadly Premonition: Director's cut available "In about six hours" for $22.49

Also, Halloween sale; 75% off horror-themed games:
http://www.gog.com/promo/halloween_promo_291013

Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs
Amnesia: The Dark Descent

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
Penumbra Collection, The
Alan Wake
Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Cat Lady, The
Clive Barker's Undying
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within
Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned

Sanitarium
Phantasmagoria
Phantasmagoria 2
Alone in the Dark 1+2+3
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare
Pathologic
Waxworks

And finally, for reasons I can't fathom, 50% off on The Chaos Engine.

Jawmuncher

The Halloween Sale is great, finally grabbed a bunch I have been eying for awhile.

Phantasmagoria 2

Phantasmagoria

Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned

Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

Clive Barker\'s Undying

Tizoc

Aww had I known DP would be on gog.com I would've gotten it from there =P Ah well it's gonna Steam cards in due time anyways~

bender

What time is it?
Amnesia scared the hell out of me and I swore off survival horror. I still want to try the sequel since the Chinese Room was involved. I might pickup Sanitarium as well. I hear a lot of good things.

Miletius

I have no mouth and I must scream is now mine. I don't need anything else, already have GK, Sanitarium and Amnesia 1. I will wait a while on Amnesia 2.

cicero

:(

Maybe it was the free witcher game with any purchase or they have something planned for halloween
I don't recall GOG ever claiming about a Grand Finale, although I may just have missed it.

They did specifically mention a "Grand Finale" HERE, and I am fairly sure I saw it officially mentioned in at least 1-2 more GOG threads as well.

Pick 5 Promo is just the beginning of our big birthday celebration. GOG.com is turning FIVE, and we have five weeks of promos, gifts, contests, and specials with a Grand Finale in the middle of October. Become a fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, join our circle in Google+, and subscribe to our YouTube channel so you don't miss out on any of the upcoming birthday spécialités.

Unfortunately it seems like the free giveaway of The Witcher with every purchase was always intended to be that "Grand Finale".

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/special_promo_get_the_witcher_free_with_any_purchase/page1
Buy any game on GOG.com and get the Witcher 1, too, free for a limited time!
This is the final week of our 5th Birthday Celebration. We're going to go above and beyond the call of birthday, though, and give you guys something incredible for our final thank you: buy anything on GOG.com--yes, anything--and get a free copy of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition with any purchase.

In my opinion, they clearly botched the whole concept of a "Grand Finale" to their 5th birthday. The entire month long series of events/contests/promos had seemed to me to be a bit unfocused and vague. "Grand Finale" does seem to imply something a bit bigger than just a free giveaway of a game most people already purchased or got free during numerous previous promos.

Lime

Has gog.com said anything about Grim Fandango? I expected them to have released it by now.

They want it, but Lucasarts' executives didn't want to release them for some fucking reason back when they were still alive.

Now the Lucasarts games are in some hidden vault in Disney.

CTLance

So what's the verdict on it?
IMO: Good shit.

It's the old game in a new suit though, so there are jumping puzzles and some awkward stuff.

No regenerating health. No coverbased popout galleries. Little handholding with no braindead tutorials. You will also get lost a few times until you re-teach yourself the nonlinear level navigation techniques you hopefully learned as a kid. You will be slaughtered if you think you can play this with a gamepad. You will need to rediscover what it means to have twitch skills. Finally: You. will. get. pissed.

The good kind of pissed, though.

Also, the devs are awesome.

Look at the OT. Notice how Dave Oshry posts in it (aka, a member of the team that made this). Notice what a swell guy he is. Ascertain how much heart-blood and sweat they have injected into this game. Even down to the credits. It's ridiculous, really.

It's a love letter to the original. If you ever played that, you owe it to yourself to play this new version.
If you didn't play the original but have an appreciation of good twitchy circlestrafe-y fun you absolutely need to try it.

Also keep in mind that patches have added many features not mentioned in launch-day reviews, such as quicksafe/-load. Reading those will not give you the whole picture.

Dinskugga

Damn i really wish Gog.com could get Bullfrogs Theme Park in some way.
They have the most other Bullfrogs games. But not this masterpiece.

Themepark World would be fine too. But not as much as Theme Park.

mclem

Don't get your hopes up, folks.

NEW RELEASES:

Lone Survivor ($9.99, normally $14.99)

Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall ($5.99)

Entomorph's vaguely in the Zelda vein (Rather more linear than Zelda, and fairly short, without all that many puzzles, though; perhaps Ys is a better parallel, albeit Ys with more conventional combat). I rather liked it back in the day - not that I can remember much other than the overarching theme. I certainly question the 'over 40 hours' claim. Maybe 6-10.

That said, if you've got a thing about insects... perhaps it's best if you don't.

cicero

GOG is currently offering a chance to win a free copy of Realms of Arkania 1+2 to those who help them benchmark multiple download locations using a simple flash (which you will need installed) based test. Even if you already own the game you can still win a redeemable code.

Main benchmark test page HERE.

Official GOG Forum thread HERE.

Your help here is greatly appreciated. And as a bonus, for every completed test you get a chance to win a code for FREE copy of Realms of Arkania 1+2 (which you can redeem yourself or pass to one of your friends). Of course re-trying the test from different computer and/or location increases your chance to get the free game, but keep in mind you cannot win multiple codes. Oh and being logged-in to your GOG.com Account is required to get the code. :)

P.S.: For technical reasons we used a little bit of Flash in this test, so if you want to participate please make sure you have the flash player installed and/or your are not using flash blocking plugins in your browser.

cicero

Don't get your hopes up, folks.

NEW RELEASES:

Lone Survivor ($9.99, normally $14.99)

Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall ($5.99)

Entomorph's vaguely in the Zelda vein (Rather more linear than Zelda, and fairly short, without all that many puzzles, though; perhaps Ys is a better parallel, albeit Ys with more conventional combat). I rather liked it back in the day - not that I can remember much other than the overarching theme. I certainly question the 'over 40 hours' claim. Maybe 6-10.

That said, if you've got a thing about insects... perhaps it's best if you don't.
Entomorph certainly was not a 40 hour game. I think I probably spent around 10 hours beating it back in the day, and I am fairly sure I finished all of the side quests. I distinctly remember the experience of playing this game because of its interesting non-familiar Aden world setting, action-style RPG/Puzzle gameplay, and a focus on more of a adventure/"B" movie style insect transformation plague setting. The action RPG gameplay was a bit simplistic, but it also had multiple paths to the ending, a decent amount of optional sidequests, a redbook audio cd soundtrack (notable in 1995), plus it was one of the very few RPGs released on the Mac, which was a veritable desert for games at that point. Oh, and that great box art. Who hasn't wistfully daydreamed about catching something that caused your arms to transform into the stabbing/grabbing arms of a Praying Mantis?

jjAmq59.jpg

Entomorph OST HERE.

cicero

Non-GOG Bundle: The Indie Gala Halloween Mix. Currently price locked at $2.99, bundle includes a GOG activation code for Realms of the Haunting. The code must be activated within 60 days from today.

The $3 BTA price, currently locked for another hour or so, also includes two Steam games (The 39 Steps, and All Zombies Must Die), as well as Pathologic on Desura. $3 is a good deal if you are interested in these.

RPS did a great three part series of articles on the obscure Russian game Pathologic. You might have noticed Pathologic on Steam's Greenlight at some point, apparently this was without the consent of the devs, so it was pulled.
Butchering Pathologic – Part 1: The Body
Butchering Pathologic – Part 2: The Mind
Butchering Pathologic – Part 3: The Soul

Shaneus

IMO: Good shit.

It's the old game in a new suit though, so there are jumping puzzles and some awkward stuff.

No regenerating health. No coverbased popout galleries. Little handholding with no braindead tutorials. You will also get lost a few times until you re-teach yourself the nonlinear level navigation techniques you hopefully learned as a kid. You will be slaughtered if you think you can play this with a gamepad. You will need to rediscover what it means to have twitch skills. Finally: You. will. get. pissed.

The good kind of pissed, though.

Also, the devs are awesome.

Look at the OT. Notice how Dave Oshry posts in it (aka, a member of the team that made this). Notice what a swell guy he is. Ascertain how much heart-blood and sweat they have injected into this game. Even down to the credits. It's ridiculous, really.

It's a love letter to the original. If you ever played that, you owe it to yourself to play this new version.
If you didn't play the original but have an appreciation of good twitchy circlestrafe-y fun you absolutely need to try it.

Also keep in mind that patches have added many features not mentioned in launch-day reviews, such as quicksafe/-load. Reading those will not give you the whole picture.
Rad. I really don't need any more games and it'd be stupid of me to buy something that'll probably be discounted further soon AND I'll likely not play for months, but what the hell. I like supporting good devs :)

Entomorph certainly was not a 40 hour game. I think I probably spent around 10 hours beating it back in the day, and I am fairly sure I finished all of the side quests. I distinctly remember the experience of playing this game because of its interesting non-familiar Aden world setting, action-style RPG/Puzzle gameplay, and a focus on more of a adventure/"B" movie style insect transformation plague setting. The action RPG gameplay was a bit simplistic, but it also had multiple paths to the ending, a decent amount of optional sidequests, a redbook audio cd soundtrack (notable in 1995), plus it was one of the very few RPGs released on the Mac, which was a veritable desert for games at that point. Oh, and that great box art. Who hasn't wistfully daydreamed about catching something that caused your arms to transform into the stabbing/grabbing arms of a Praying Mantis?

jjAmq59.jpg

Entomorph OST HERE.
Is this the first SSI title? Oh god, I hope their more "traditional" titles (like Pool of Radiance, Secret of the Silver Blades etc.) make it! Come on, GOG!

cicero

Is this the first SSI title? Oh god, I hope their more "traditional" titles (like Pool of Radiance, Secret of the Silver Blades etc.) make it! Come on, GOG!
Thunderscape is the other one on GOG, a turn-based dungeon crawl also set in the Aden world. I sure hope we get some Gold Box titles too.

mclem

New release:

Lilly Looking Through ($8.99)

I kickstarted this a while back, but haven't actually poked the beta from a little while ago. It does look rather delightful, though.

Weekend promo: 60% off Ubisoft titles:

Heroes of Might and Magic®
Heroes of Might and Magic® 2: Gold Edition
Heroes of Might and Magic® 3: Complete Edition
Heroes of Might and Magic® 4: Complete
Heroes of Might and Magic® 5: Bundle

Heroes Chronicles: All chapters

Might and Magic® 6-pack: Limited Edition
Might and Magic® 7: For Blood and Honor™
Might and Magic® 8: Day of the Destroyer™
Might and Magic® 9

Crusaders of Might and Magic

Panzer General 2
Panzer General 3D Assault

Settlers® 2: Gold Edition, The
Settlers 2®: 10th Anniversary, The
Settlers 3®: Ultimate Collection, The
Settlers® 4: Gold Edition, The

Heritage of Kings: The Settlers™

Battle Isle Platinum (includes Incubation)
Battle Isle: The Andosia War

Beyond Good and Evil™

Rayman® Forever
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc
Rayman Origins

Anvil of Dawn

Far Cry®
Far Cry® 2: Fortune's Edition

Imperialism
Imperialism 2: The Age of Exploration

Warlords Battlecry
Warlords Battlecry 2

Assassin's Creed®: Director's Cut

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six®
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon®
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell®

POD Gold

Prince of Persia®: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Prince of Persia (2008)

Silent Hunter® 2

Driver®: Parallel Lines

Speed Busters: American Highways

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I loved M&M VI back in the day, but its 3d looked primitive when it came out in '98. Can't imagine I could stomach it now.

This Ubisoft sale is fucking great. I dunno, but I think this is the lowest I've seen Rayman Origins.

IT COMES WITH THE SOUNDTRACK AT THAT

fleck0

Wow I had no idea GoG gave you a discount on games if you are completing a full series. Saved me $7 when buying the last two Tex Murphy games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom