• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Triad |OT| RocketMinigun not OP

title.png

ROTT.exe returns for 2013!
Developer: Interceptor Entertainment
Publisher: Apogee Software
Release Date: 31 Jul 2013
http://www.riseofthetriad.net/

PC Windows
Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/217140/
GOG: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/rise_of_the_triad
GmG: http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/fi/en/pc/games/action/rise-triad/

14.99$/12-14€

All you need to know about the Multiplayer:

All you need to know about the Single player:

Blaa blaa blaa:
· Step into the shoes of the H.U.N.T. (High-Risk United Nations Taskforce) with five unique characters, each with different play styles.
· Blast through over 20 of levels of explosive single-player action. Unique multiplayer maps bring back all the fun and excitement of classic ROTT.
· The full arsenal of over-the top weapons is back, including the Flamewall, Firebomb, Split Missile, Drunk Missile and, of course, the Excalibat!
· The maniacal modes return, too, with God mode, Elasto mode, Mercury mode, Shrooms mode and everyone’s favorite, Dog mode!
· Build your own levels, mods and share them with Valve’s Steamworks.
· Offline single-player and multiplayer allows for instant action.
· Find tons of secrets, collectables, special events and hidden areas to explore.
· Get more than 100 achievements to add to your score, which is tracked on our worldwide leaderboard and stat-tracking system.
· ROTT is bloodier and more ludicrous than ever, with full character and enemy dismemberment.
· The iconic original soundtrack has been completely re-forged in the fires of heavy metal!
· Nostalgia abounds with the option to play with all the original sounds and music.
rottmap.jpg

Techspecs:
Minimum
Processor:2.4 GHz Dual Core Processor or Better
Memory:2 GB RAM
Graphics:ATI Radeon HD 3870 / NVIDIA 8800 GT
Hard Drive:5 GB HD space
Sound:DirectX Compatible

Recommended
Processor:2.4 GHz Quad Core Processor or Better
Memory:4 GB RAM
Graphics:Radeon HD 6950 / GeForce GTX 560
Hard Drive:5 GB HD space
Sound:DirectX Compatible
Other:Broadband Internet connection

If you can't handle the movement speed,
quit.jpg

Super excited for next week, the multiplayer video is what really sold me on the game. Just looks so damn fast, hopefully they do a pre-load (although I bet the game won't be a super huge download anyway.)

CTLance

Seems to be a bit of a discount Quake 3 Arena. Which is a big plus as far as I am concerned. Looks amazeballs.

Still, there's something about that Multiplayer Mode Video. The standard gun seems to be rather useless and most of the other weapons seem to be some sort of AoE missile pod... I want a close combat weapon or a railgun. (Oh I know, Rocket launcher > *, but I wanna pretend to have a choice.)

Seems to be a bit of a discount Quake 3 Arena. Which is a big plus as far as I am concerned. Looks amazeballs.

Still, there's something about that Multiplayer Mode Video. The standard gun seems to be rather useless and most of the other weapons seem to be some sort of AoE missile pod... I want a close combat weapon or a railgun. (Oh I know, Rocket launcher > *, but I wanna pretend to have a choice.)

Its quite traditional in the sense that the starter weapon or melee weapon is for humiliation kills only :D You can use a knife at anytime and i believe the Excalibat has a melee swing too!

Do the 20% / 25% / 30% discount coupons (I don't recall the amount) that were given out by GMG recently stack with this pre-order?

Also, can you use the discount coupons for Amazon.com digital gaming that were floating around recently?

I love Rise of the Triad, but backlog dictates I cannot get around to playing it before Christmas, so really the only reason I would pre-order would be to show my support for the franchise. As I'm only human, and my money is a finite resource, it's more tempting to wait for Christmas sales to save a bit more, particularly as I probably won't be able to play it before that point and I'll most likely be able to pick up the inevitable DLC at a discount too.

Two things that would persuade me to pre-order right now:

1) A plushy Dopefish pre-order incentive

2) Knocking a further 25% from the pre-order price now through some sort of discount coupon / whatever

I think I still own every title from the throwback pack somewhere in my archive of old PC games, and I also have ROTT on GOG, so there's no incentive for me not to attempt to pick it up in the GOG winter sale really.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

That's Rise Of The Triad :) It's more about shooting fools with explosives than it is about using pistols etc. It's very true to the original game in most ways.

The one thing I never realised is that the team funded and made the game more or less on their own with a very tiny budget. Apogee let them use the license and had a bit of input into keeping it true to ROTT but apart from that they were allowed to do what they wanted.

There's a great 4PlayerPodcast which goes into this with their marketing guy Dave Oshry. Basically him and the team have sold stuff (with him selling his car) of theirs to keep making the game and make it a reality. He tells a great story about trying to get a package delivered to one of their team and having to arm wrestle a midget in a whorehouse to find directions (no, I'm not joking!) Apologies for not being able to link to it as I'm in work but if someone else doesn't I'll dig out the link later. It's really interesting to listen to and he comes across as a cool guy and the team very passionate. He appears about 1hr 15mins in or so if you can find it.

I'm really looking forward to it and with the way the team interacts with their community and is very honest with everyone is quite refreshing too.

EDIT - Here's the podcast link

CTLance

Thanks for the answers. And the podcast link. Gonna listen to it when I get home.

Not sure whether it's depressing that they had to go to such lengths - or inspiring that they did. Cool stuff. I tip my hat to these fine gentlemen. And -women, in case there are any.

eshwaaz

I was excited about this until I saw footage from E3. Perhaps it's fun to play, but it looked horrible. The blood and gore effects were especially poor.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta give this a listen :) And yeah, not all comebacks need to come from Kickstarter.

Thanks for the answers. And the podcast link. Gonna listen to it when I get home.

Not sure whether it's depressing that they had to go to such lengths - or inspiring that they did. Cool stuff. I tip my hat to these fine gentlemen. And -women, in case there are any.

What I found admirable is that they asked him about using Kickstarter and he goes into detail about how it's a huge effort if you do that and that they're a small team trying to get a game made so it was probably better that they didn't. What I found admirable is that he said, from his perspective at least, he felt in a way they didn't deserve it as guys like Obsidian etc have earned that right with the previous games they've made. He feels like they've got to prove themselves first before asking people for money to fund a game etc. Come across as a pretty cool guy and a lot more involved with the game than just marketing - testing, writing etc.

I was excited about this until I saw footage from E3. Perhaps it's fun to play, but it looked horrible. The blood and gore effects were especially poor.

At least it's only $15 and you can get it cheaper at GMG :) It's obvious it won't compete with the 'big boys' in terms of looks but at least it's pretty open and moddable etc.

At least it's only $15 and you can get it cheaper at GMG :) It's obvious it won't compete with the 'big boys' in terms of looks but at least it's pretty open and moddable etc.

Yeah show some support now, they have also promised to give out a fan suggested weapons DLC pack for free after launch.

And some guy is already modding over the original Quake 1 multiplayer maps!

I like the fact that this is the first thing that you see as part of the credits:

v8I8Oyj.png

EDIT: Noisepurge. Nice OT by the way. I love it when people make concise OTs without screens and screens of fluff. Also may want to add that the throwback pack is apparently also available from GMG.

EDIT: Noisepurge. Nice OT by the way. I love it when people make concise OTs without screens and screens of fluff. Also may want to add that the throwback pack is apparently also available from GMG.

Thanks, GMG seems to have updated their page too, fixed the OP.

You have NO idea how happy this thread makes me. I'm SO pumped for this game. I miss my arena shooters, and I'm sure this will help fill that void. It looks like SO MUCH FUN! Not to mention all of the modding tools has me REALLY excited for what can and will happen in the future. Someone on their forums was already talking about recreating all the Quake DM maps. EXCITE!

Ifrit

Pre-order to get the Apogee Throwback Pack:
- Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
- Blake Stone: Planet Strike
- Rise of the Triad
- Extreme Rise of the Triad
* Full widescreen support for modern Windows and Mac operating systems

So, did they updated the original games or using some source port?

furntree

Neo Member
If anyone wants to get in on early chat we have the IRC room #rott13 setup on the network irc.p2pchat.net for you guys!

We look forward to using the room for matchmaking and discussion! If you're old enough to remember ROTT you can probably appreciate IRC as well :)

Hope to see you there!

So, did they updated the original games or using some source port?

They just run in dosbox. From what I have heard they want to release proper ports though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I really hope this game turns out...

Anyway, I'll probably buy it on GOG from the get-go. I dunno if having it on Steam would make it easier to join friends' games, though...

DaveOshry

I really hope this game turns out...

Anyway, I'll probably buy it on GOG from the get-go. I dunno if having it on Steam would make it easier to join friends' games, though...

We have our own back end multiplayer system so no matter where you buy the game you will see the same servers and players online. We also have chat rooms for whatever reason. Also, we have dedicated servers so you can run your own games with your friends and password protect them and direct IP connect if you like.

Also, holy shit I finally have a NeoGAF account o_O

shuri

Banned
As a fan of the original back in the days who greatly enjoyed the game, and spent wayyy too much playing deathmatch with my best friend over direct modem connection instead of going outside, I can't wait to play this.

Uiki

We have our own back end multiplayer system so no matter where you buy the game you will see the same servers and players online. We also have chat rooms for whatever reason. Also, we have dedicated servers so you can run your own games with your friends and password protect them and direct IP connect if you like.

Believe!

Also.. can you please hit that giant red button on your left with "RELEASE" on it?

Thank you.

SOON.

DaveOshry

Believe!

Also.. can you please hit that giant red button on your left with "RELEASE" on it?

Thank you.

SOON.

Hah. If only it were that easy. We DO have review codes and I'm TRYING to get them out today/tomorrow. The back end of Steam is not a pretty place. It's all Baloonicorns and repo redist Depot IDs and other things our coders probably don't want me touching.

SOON™

Also, quick question since I'm new here. What're the rules about me replying to anything and everything in the OT? If you follow the Interceptor or ROTT accounts on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook etc you know I usually respond to anything and everything in ALL CAPS like a lunatic, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate here and even if I write all my responses in Iambic Pentameter I don't want people to think I'm needlessly bumping the OT.

Really spilled my guts out on that 4Player Podcast eh? Felt good to get that all out to be honest. Working on a blog post that'll go even deeper into the whole thing.

LOOK MA, I'M ON NEOGAF!

celebi23

Welcome to GAF! :D I've got my Windows 8 Boot Camp partition all ready to go :D

Also, quick question since I'm new here. What're the rules about me replying to anything and everything in the OT? If you follow the Interceptor or ROTT accounts on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook etc you know I usually respond to anything and everything in ALL CAPS like a lunatic, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate here and even if I write all my responses in Iambic Pentameter I don't want people to think I'm needlessly bumping the OT.
As a general rule, as long as you don't pretend you're not part of the development team (and with your tag, that's kinda hard), don't bribe anyone with money (Steam keys are fine, to a point. PM a mod if you're planning to dump 100 keys in here at once, or something) and as long as you don't spam to much, you should be fine.

FACE

Banned
Hah. If only it were that easy. We DO have review codes and I'm TRYING to get them out today/tomorrow. The back end of Steam is not a pretty place. It's all Baloonicorns and repo redist Depot IDs and other things our coders probably don't want me touching.

SOON™

Really spilled my guts out on that 4Player Podcast eh? Felt good to get that all out to be honest. Working on a blog post that'll go even deeper into the whole thing.

LOOK MA, I'M ON NEOGAF!

ixnzl08goek27.jpg

I think it's best to PM a mod or an admin about the rules.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

SOON™

LOOK MA, I'M ON NEOGAF!

I think as long as you don't cross the line between answering peoples questions and actively trying to sell your product you'll be fine.

Being helpful and informative = good.
Being a door to door salesman = bad.

Top Bottom