• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Triad |OT| RocketMinigun not OP

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
We have our own back end multiplayer system so no matter where you buy the game you will see the same servers and players online. We also have chat rooms for whatever reason. Also, we have dedicated servers so you can run your own games with your friends and password protect them and direct IP connect if you like.

Also, holy shit I finally have a NeoGAF account o_O

You are not welcome! ;) Good job, buddy. Welcome to the party!

None of my friends understand why I'm excited about this game.

I showed one some gameplay and he said it looked a little cheesy and didn't understand why shooting someone with a pistol would make them come apart. I don't understand why it shouldn't.

DaveOshry

None of my friends understand why I'm excited about this game.

I showed one some gameplay and he said it looked a little cheesy and didn't understand why shooting someone with a pistol would make them come apart. I don't understand why it shouldn't.

Yeah, I think some people just might not get it, and that's ok. But for those who understand what ROTT is and what ROTT was - completely over the top and cheesy is what it's all about.

When we were designing stuff like the blood and gore, basically we just kept going until we stared cracking up, that's when we knew we'd gotten it right.

Yeah, I think some people just might not get it, and that's ok. But for those who understand what ROTT is and what ROTT was - completely over the top and cheesy is what it's all about.

When we were designing stuff like the blood and gore, basically we just kept going until we stared cracking up, that's when we knew we'd gotten it right.

It's great you guys are having such a good time making the game. You can always tell when a small team of people pour their heart into something (ex. DOOM).

I watched the 18 minute multiplayer trailer and the little quotes added in there made me bust out laughing (Objection! Leading the witness!). One thing I noticed though was less than stellar character model animations. Have those improved any since the video was made?

Uiki

I think as long as you don't cross the line between answering peoples questions and actively trying to sell your product you'll be fine.

Being helpful and informative = good.
Being a door to door salesman = bad.

Unlock my preorder early = best man ever.

DaveOshry

It's great you guys are having such a good time making the game. You can always tell when a small team of people pour their heart into something (ex. DOOM).

I watched the 18 minute multiplayer trailer and the little quotes added in there made me bust out laughing (Objection! Leading the witness!). One thing I noticed though was less than stellar character model animations. Have those improved any since the video was made?

The third person MP animations aren't 'stellar', but they are a bit better since then. We've also added a 'player highlight' option which basically puts giant glowing triads on everyone so they stand out better against the environments.

We'll keep working on polishing things like that after launch, hopefully the game sells well enough that we can start getting some money in house to keep people working on the game and not eating ramen.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
We have our own back end multiplayer system so no matter where you buy the game you will see the same servers and players online. We also have chat rooms for whatever reason. Also, we have dedicated servers so you can run your own games with your friends and password protect them and direct IP connect if you like.

yay finally

FACE

Banned
Single player. Also, we have two knives now. Because Rise of the Triad.

0345_r9s3.gif

The third person MP animations aren't 'stellar', but they are a bit better since then. We've also added a 'player highlight' option which basically puts giant glowing triads on everyone so they stand out better against the environments.

We'll keep working on polishing things like that after launch, hopefully the game sells well enough that we can start getting some money in house to keep people working on the game and not eating ramen.

Thanks for the reply. I guess my main concern was seeing other players clearly in the environment and it seems you've tackled that with the glowing triads. I really can't wait to pick this up. It's about time we had a shooter with some chaos again.

DaveOshry

Rise of the Triad and GoG.com proudly present... an afternoon with Fresch!

I made this video specifically for my mother who dared me to combine our game and Baroque. YOU OWE ME TEN BUCKS, MOM:

http://youtu.be/7DRgu2lDBaA

Also, we're having a launch party at Quake Con! FREE BEER.
(also 12 player multiplayer with giveaways n whatnot, woo)
FREE BEER

y4Y0jy7.jpg

Riggs

Banned
DAVE wtf I didn't know you were on GAf. Give beagleface a cookie for me. I am so hyped, ROTT SOON BITCHES!!!

Also sorry you don't know me I just follow you on Twitter lol.

Dude, that OT title is spectacular.

I am definitely looking forward to this game... waiting to seeGaf first impressions before dipping though.

Riggs

Banned
If anyone wants to get in on early chat we have the IRC room #rott13 setup on the network irc.p2pchat.net for you guys!

We look forward to using the room for matchmaking and discussion! If you're old enough to remember ROTT you can probably appreciate IRC as well :)

Hope to see you there!

They just run in dosbox. From what I have heard they want to release proper ports though.

Excellent .... man I used to come home and play this game every day when I was in 6th grade on my dads Gateway 3000. Fuck all I used was the KB lol.

DaveOshry

DAVE wtf I didn't know you were on GAf. Give beagleface a cookie for me. I am so hyped, ROTT SOON BITCHES!!!

Also sorry you don't know me I just follow you on Twitter lol.

I got approved YESTERDAY!

And of course I know you! You're the guy with the Ricky avatar! Think I tweeted about you once. SMOKES, LET'S GO!

And thanks for being hype! Hope we can live up to it. It's pretty much the game we said it's gonna be since day one. This ain't no AAA production, but it's fast, it's fun and it's only $15.

Riggs

Banned
I got approved YESTERDAY!

And of course I know you! You're the guy with the Ricky avatar! Think I tweeted about you once. SMOKES, LET'S GO!

And thanks for being hype! Hope we can live up to it. It's pretty much the game we said it's gonna be since day one. This ain't no AAA production, but it's fast, it's fun and it's only $15.

Ya I am hyped as shit, ROTT was the best as a kid. Gibs, more gibs!!!

Nokterian

Welcome to gaf sir!

I cannot wait for this game,just the amount of fast paced shooting and crazy ass weapons. Yeah gonna be fun for sure!

Anyone want a copy of RotT for $10? I have a spare Steam code from the discount pack and am looking to offload it.
Funny, I was gonna ask if there were two other people who wanted to split a four pack with me (I already had one biter).

Is that offer still standing?

Kumubou

I'm really curious about something: I know the game is trying to stay close to the source material (even to it's own detriment), but are the bugs in the engine being replicated too? Specifically, bugs like when moving walls go out of bounds (I'm freeeeeeeee!!!) or the glitched Bonus Bonus.

DaveOshry

I'm really curious about something: I know the game is trying to stay close to the source material (even to it's own detriment), but are the bugs in the engine being replicated too? Specifically, bugs like when moving walls go out of bounds (I'm freeeeeeeee!!!) or the glitched Bonus Bonus.

Hah. We have our own bugs now but those old iconic bugs do show up in the game as Easter Eggs now.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
All I need is a good Single Player campaign and I'll be happy. Multiplayer is never a selling point for me. I prefer to play with myself. (giggle)

DaveOshry

The single player campaign is 20 levels (plus secret levels) across 4 episodes. You can speedrun it in 4 hours (if you literally run past the enemies), 100% it in 12 hours and the average is somewhere around 6-8 hours based on our playthroughs. However, we know where everything is and we don't die often. And since it's all about points and leaderboards you'll find yourself replaying levels again and again to do them better and faster. It's kind of addictive. Especially when we wipe the leaderboards.

We're launching with 5 MP maps and 3 modes. DM, TDM and CTF. We've got 3 or so more maps which will be ready to go in a few weeks as well as a new weapon that ROTT has always needed desperately. Hooray for free DLC.

Plus with the editor we're hoping the community will pump out content like crazy.

There's already a guy remaking Quake 1 DM maps for us: http://steamcommunity.com/app/217140/discussions/0/846957366855387496/

Personally I can't wait to mess around with the classic assets in the editor: http://youtu.be/WNOsfV7cCyk

Sending the game out for review tomorrow. Kinda freaking out. o_O

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Any chance of seeing CO-OP play in the game? These types of shooters are always a blast with a second player.

CTLance

I found out why. It's not a hardware restriction, it's the usual GEMA crap we Germans have to put up with. I should have known.
Background: Youtube has prevented Germans from accessing the video because it MIGHT contain material one of GEMA's musicians has produced, in which case they'd want to get paid. So the video gets locked, and nobody in Germany gets money or gets to watch the video. Brilliant.​
Proxtube, I choose you. *sigh*

Cool vid, though. Very classy. Also: Dog mode. DOG mode. The NME "dance". And finally, "Would you like some more wine?".

These guys had way too much fun with this.

DaveOshry

Imma let you finish, but this is clearly the greatest ROTT trailer of all time.

Fact.

Also, yeah sorry Germany blocked the Yo Yo Ma is used in the Q n A video. But I wasn't gonna redo the whole thing for Germany. SORRY GERMANY. There's a Yo Momma joke in here somewhere...

Top Bottom