• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Triad |OT| RocketMinigun not OP

CTLance

Not so sure about selecting winners already. We still have until the 31st, so there will probably be some strong contenders.
Also, yeah sorry Germany blocked the Yo Yo Ma is used in the Q n A video. But I wasn't gonna redo the whole thing for Germany. SORRY GERMANY. There's a Yo Momma joke in here somewhere...
It's OK, Germany forgives you. Germany knows this situation is dumb as hell. Still, Germany's gotta German. Derp.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Co-op is something we've been talking about for a while but it's gonna take some doing.

Meanwhile, GOG has a fan trailer competition going on: http://www.gog.com/news/rise_of_the_triad_qa_video_creative_trailer_challenge

Pretty sure this guy wins: http://youtu.be/k3UlOTR52pQ
Yeah, I figured it would take some work.

Could you comment on the style of level design you guys aimed for? Is it more akin to Doom (levels which require backtracking and open up like a flower as you progress) or more like Serious Sam (a series of empty rooms with enemies)?

DaveOshry

When should we expect some reviews/media to start popping up? The Giantbomb guys apparently already have the game.

We sent out codes over the past two days. Reviews should go up on launch day. I wanted to give everyone 2 weeks with it but 6 days is what they got because we're bad at generating Steam codes.

Yeah, I figured it would take some work.

Could you comment on the style of level design you guys aimed for? Is it more akin to Doom (levels which require backtracking and open up like a flower as you progress) or more like Serious Sam (a series of empty rooms with enemies)?

Definitely more like DOOM. Or more like Rise of the Triad obviously. Definitely not as mazey as ROTT 95. Any true ROTT fan can tell you the Shareware levels were the best and the other gajillion were mostly rubbish. Think of it as a good mix between the original levels and newer gameplay design. Colored keys and doors, monster closets, super fast speed, stupid powerful weapns, lots of secrets, it's all there. It really really really feels like a shooter from the early to mid 90's dressed up in Unreal 3. There's no other way to describe it.

finley83

Banned
Dave, does the new game still have different violence levels like the old one? For some reason I really liked the way you could scale the game anywhere between completely bloodless and literal showers of gibs.

Also, do severed hands in said showers of gibs still flip you off? This is important.

DaveOshry

Dave, does the new game still have different violence levels like the old one? For some reason I really liked the way you could scale the game anywhere between completely bloodless and literal showers of gibs.

It's basically in /EKG mode all the time now. However, you can turn the gore OFF. We had to do that at PAX AUS

Also, do severed hands in said showers of gibs still flip you off? This is important.

YES.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

9377537623_db80145826_o.gif

FYC

Banned
Can't wait, bought a four pack and gave the other three away as prizes for the Quake Live tourney. Gotta spread the awesome.

For some reason I thought this wasn't until August, but holy shit it's Wednesday

I still hazily remember the day me and my father found a boxed copy of Rise of the Triad from a random electronics store, in the middle of a road-trip our family was taking. My father bought it ( since we had played the shareware version to death ), and I was probably pleading him to do so, too, in the manner an excited kid does when he sees something he has to have that instant. RotT defined a part of my childhood, as it was easily the most 'violent' game I had played up to that point, and it just had this sense of foreboding and danger that most games lacked. It was also pretty damn challenging on the second-highest difficulty ( which I played it at ). It was my father's favorite FPS ( alongside Wolfenstein 3D ), as he always preferred to shoot 'real criminals' instead of imaginary monsters. Ergo, he was never a Doom-guy.

My father unfortunately doesn't play video-games anymore - he has this excuse of 'being too old to keep up with the speed' - but this new RotT is something I'd love to share with him ( and I will install Steam and buy a copy for him the next time I visit his house - he can't ignore a gift, right? ). Now... Those trailers pretty much summarize what I want out of this game: that old-school RotT spirit in a modern visual presentation. Pre-ordering it for myself was a no-brainer. Now I can't wait for it to unlock. See you in multiplayer, GAF! :)

Really awesome to see all the excitement in here for this. They ran out of codes for reviewers but imo that's only a good sign for the excitement of the game in generating. People WANT to play this!

Polari

So pumped for this. I hope they haven't tried to update the gameplay or done anything dumb like that. I miss the simplicity of games like this and Doom.

DSmalls84

Is there any controller support? It looks like the MP moves way to fast for it, but wouldn't mind using it for the campaign levels.

DaveOshry

Is there any controller support? It looks like the MP moves way to fast for it, but wouldn't mind using it for the campaign levels.

Yes! Partial support. For menus and stuff you'll still need a keyboard and mouse but some people have actually done quite well with a controller!

NIN90

JUST TO BE SURE: If I get the Steam code off GMG it won't be censored (I don't even know if there is a censored version in the first place)? Otherwise I'd just go the gifting route via Steam just to be sure.

Vormund

Played this a bit over a week ago at PAXAus.

Once I readjusted to the gameplay, I was having heaps of fun. I had a feeling I might have been playing it for a bit too long, it just seemed they wanted to kick me off let someone else have a go. :D

Top Bottom