• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Grabbed Shadowman on the insomnia promo and Nox on the sale. How can you not? Classic!

That list reminds me it may be time for my semi regular replays of Little Big Adventure 1 & 2. I love those games, i think my spectacles may be a little rose tinted but i don't care one jot :)

Jag

Very important question. Which do I play first HOMM III or HOMM V? I've already played both, but I need something to clear M&MH VI out of my head.

RAIDEN1

I'm thinking of getting Broken Sword 2 the remastered version of GOG, and the free copy of Beneath the Steel Sky...is Broken Sword 2 worth getting if I've played the original, (though I don't think I completed it..) but it was many years ago..I hardly remember it scene for scene..

mclem

Bringing a discussion over from the sale thread:

The adventure journals could be printed out, so no problem there :)

Actually, one thing I would like from GoG, along those lines: A nicely-integrated documentation browser app for smart devices. When I played through Might & Magic 1 I did so with the documentation dumped to my tablet, which was really comfortable and effective... once I'd got it set up. The process of getting set up, though, such that I had the map, the manual and the hintbook all readily to hand, as well as flicking between manual pages to consult the spellbook... that could all be made easier.

(Actually, I was toying with getting my hands dirty with programming again by making an app that was specifically designed to be a companion with M&M1, where the user can choose the level of aid they want from it. I decided in the end that it was a big job with probably not that many people actually interested in it).

Persona7

Banned
Wow, Grimm. I remember a bunch of ads for that game but I never got around to playing it. I think it was exclusive to a download service.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Did anyone want a copy of Heroes of Might and Magic III, but didn't manage to get it during the sale? I'm giving away a free copy, but only to someone who actually wants the thing.

Catshade

I don't know what's the promo, but if you go to gog.com/redeem/COMEBACKTOGOG you can get the following games for 50% off (valid till November 27):

Baldur's Gate 2 Complete: $4.99
Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga: $4.99
Heroes of Might and Magic® 3: Complete Edition: $4.99
Dungeon Keeper™ 2: $2.99
System Shock™ 2: $4.99
RollerCoaster Tycoon: Deluxe: $2.99
Myst: Masterpiece Edition: $2.99

mclem

Woohoo for Prophecy - the only WC game that's still missing, I believe, is Armada. Glad to see Prophecy includes Secret Ops.

Hi there, me from two weeks ago!

Wing Commander: Armada ... Edit: Includes Proving Grounds

Dustforce

Also, there's a promo on Wing Commander games. Slightly different from the norm: If you buy all the games you're missing from the collection, you get 50% off. No discount for just buying some.

Finally, The Shivah (presumably the new edition) is mentioned on the front page, but the game page doesn't seem to be up yet.

Edit: Shivah mention on front page has gone. Jumped the gun?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Rad. Been meaning to play Dustforce for a long time now, and I've put it off for no particular reason. Definitely don't mind having it DRM free, though.

Wing Commander Armada? I had that when I was younger. I didn't get into the strategy stuff, but my brother and I loved to play the LAN multiplayer. We liked that you could play as either the Confed or Kilrathi ships, though from what I remember, the Kilrathi Stealth Fighter was pretty broken (Cloaking made you unable to fire, but also disabled enemy lock-on and had almost no cooldown, so you could just go through the match re-cloaking, resulting in either a constant stalemate or your enemy eventually messing up).

vazel

Banned
Makes me happy to have all these Wing Commander games on GOG. Some I didn't even know existed like Armada or Wing Commander V.
Well, here's a game I'd completely forgotten about.

American McGee's ... Grimm
Now there's one game I wish I never knew existed. A big horrible blight in McGee's gameography. It was a low budget Gametap exclusive from what I remember.

mclem

I'm always a little uncomfortable with people flagging the System Shock titles as FPSes. I've preferred to think of them as first-person RPGs with FPS-based combat.

Axiom

Unlike V:TM Bloodlines or Deus Ex, the System Shock games were enough like FPSes that I could never get into them despite liking RPGs

So I would list them as such too.

And that was back in the day when they didn't baby you along to experience the story, so there was never any chance of me tolerating it even for that.

mclem

Unlike V:TM Bloodlines or Deus Ex, the System Shock games were enough like FPSes that I could never get into them despite liking RPGs

So I would list them as such too.

And that was back in the day when they didn't baby you along to experience the story, so there was never any chance of me tolerating it even for that.

Would you regard Ultima Underworld as an action game by the same token, then? I've generally interpreted it as the fact that there's very little difference at a base level in design terms between Underworld and System Shock 1, other than the fact that ranged weaponry is front-and-centre in the latter - but I think there's enough mechanics in the design that aren't to do with combat to not leave that as the dominant impression I get of the game.

Ultimately, of course, it's simply a different strokes for different folks thing!

muddream

Banned
How's Painkiller Black?

That depends entirely on whether you like to bunnyhop. It's by far the best "retro-fps" because it gives you a sense of speed and acrobatics that Serious Sam and others lack. Think of it as a wacky Quake mappack where the focus is on enemy waves instead of level design...and you're magically able to fly around the map like a speedrunner thanks to simplified controls.

inm8num2

In terms of [really] old school shooters, how does Blake Stone stack up?
Also, that edition of Riddick, worth $6

Blake Stone is fun but you're bound to get bored after a few levels. If you enjoy playing something like Wolf 3D to completion then go for it.

As for Riddick, it was $2.99 during the insomnia sale last weekend, and it's been in other special promos for 75-80% off. Definitely a good buy even at $5.99, but if you're keeping a tight gaming budget I'd bet strongly you can get it cheaper during the holiday sale.

LOL sorry to dissuade you on your purchase interests.

gabbo

Blake Stone is fun but you're bound to get bored after a few levels. If you enjoy playing something like Wolf 3D to completion then go for it.

As for Riddick, it was $2.99 during the insomnia sale last weekend, and it's been in other special promos for 75-80% off. Definitely a good buy even at $5.99, but if you're keeping a tight gaming budget I'd bet strongly you can get it cheaper during the holiday sale.

LOL sorry to dissuade you on your purchase interests.

No worries, I am on a tighter budget for games lately (and my backlog is, imo, too large at the moment), so I can hold off on all of them for now. Will keep an eye out for Riddick cheaper during Christmas.

muddream

Banned
The Blake Stones all lack a vertical aspect to the level design, right? To me Doom is the first real FPS, can't play anything that came before.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The Blake Stones all lack a vertical aspect to the level design, right? To me Doom is the first real FPS, can't play anything that came before.

Yea, Blake Stone is basically just a sci fi skinned Wolf3d. It has a few small extra wrinkles, but nothing overly special.

Finally, a chance at redemption for skipping out on Riddick last Christmas!

As for Riddick, it was $2.99 during the insomnia sale last weekend, and it's been in other special promos for 75-80% off.

The whole point of the insomnia sale was that only a few people got a chance at each given deal and so the discounts could be much steeper than normal. The only other time it's been cheaper than $6 on GOG was when it was part of the "get extra big discounts if you buy 5 games" promotion. Plus it got pulled from Steam and GOG's the only place it's available sans DRM. Don't tell people not to get it at 60% off to hold out on three whole dollars. :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Got Riddick and Ghost Recon classic. Couldn't say no to either for those prices. Now to find the time to replay Riddick and go through Ghost Recon finally after devoting a ton of time to the X-box demo.

cicero

24 Hour Classic Gem Stacking Promo: Master of Orion Series. 60-70% off ($4.78 for entire series). The promo lasts until Tuesday, November 26, at 10:59AM GMT.

http://www.gog.com/news/classic_gem_promo_master_of_orion_series

I figure this might be worth mentioning given that there is a clear disparity of opinions about it. If you go beyond page 1 of the GOG reviews you will find five star reviews instead of one star based on the supposed updated patched experience of the game vs the initial unpatched that everyone hated. So maybe it is worth it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom