• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going Platinum: Bayonetta 2, combat design, and the Nintendo angle

wizzbang

Banned
hahahaha what

Vanquish was ugly as sin

Bayo was ok but even it wasn't particularly great (speaking art/graphics here, very fun to play)

I don't know what version of Vanquish you played - but besides the odd texture here and there and kind of bland design on a couple of characters, the graphics were very good - just hard to notice due to the pace of the game - some of the shit in the background on the space station was epic - it was like a good version of the Halo Ringworld thing (whatever it is, I don't know)

Vanquish actually looks fairly good if you're not playing it and watching someone else.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I figured the Nintendo angle was tone down the sexiness by chopping off that long hair.

Seriously though, Bayonetta 2 is going to be so badass!

ash_ag

Really nice interview. Good answers come up when good questions are asked.

Very hyped for Bayo 2, hope it succeeds both commercially and critically. Platinum is what the Japanese industry can and should be.

hwalker84

I hope one of my friends gets a Wii U so I can play this game. It and Wonderful 101 are the only titles I want to play.

Frodo

And can we stop with the assumption Nintendo is toning the game down, please? Because so far, everything points to Platinum having the freedom do to what Platinum does with Nintendo not intervening. And also, the Gameplay Trailer on the E3 Direct opened with this:

20130611163117-bayonetta2.jpg

wizzbang

Banned
And can we stop with the assumption Nintendo is toning the game down, please? Because so far, everything points to Platinum having the freedom do to what Platinum does with Nintendo not intervening. And also, the Gameplay Trailer on the E3 Direct opened with this:

I bet her smoo would taste like treacle.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I really hope the Wii U has recovered by the time this game comes out.

If things stay as they are it's going to be one of the biggest bombas of all time.

Axiology

To those who are concerned with the possibility of Platinum Games being bought by Nintendo and therefore being unable to develop for the more powerful next gen consoles, how likely do you think it is that Platinum would even be able to secure the funding they would need for the kind of graphically intensive titles you guys are asking for? I mean, Bayonetta was their most popular game by far and they still struggled to release a sequel to it. Platinum's games aren't really breaking any sales records or anything, so I'm curious what makes it so clear that Nintendo would be the ones holding them back in this case?

popyea

I wonder what made Nintendo fund this game. Is it an attempt to capture the "mature" audience that liked Bayonetta?

Lol, no self-professed "mature" gamer would be caught dead playing Bayonetta. It's as someone said, definitely more for "core" gamers. Most adults will approach a game like this with derision, mostly because the kitschy presentation doesn't sit well with people who think that sophisticated games can only exist in the form of gritty realism or with filmic stories and characters.

Darryl

Banned
AI: Working with Nintendo, one thing that comes out of that is that we're not able to cover up weaknesses in the core gameplay by making the graphics prettier or adding cutscenes, or whatever. The concern, first and foremost, is the core of the game and the quality of the gameplay. They really have our back in that sense. And that's actually a little bit unnerving, working with people who are such perfectionists in that sense.

these guys know just what to say to their new nintendo audience. gameplay, gameplay, gameplay.

Lol, no self-professed "mature" gamer would be caught dead playing Bayonetta. It's as someone said, definitely more for "core" gamers. Most adults will approach a game like this with derision, mostly because the kitschy presentation doesn't sit well with people who think that sophisticated games can only exist in the form of gritty realism or with filmic stories and characters.

i thought it was kind of a more mature game at first when i lent it to my friend. action and sex, what could be more mature. they'll love this. except they never played it or even tried, it was too over the top for them. platinum games is definitely targeting a hardcore fan niche, someone closer to a GAFfer than an everyday person.

Nibel

hahahaha what

Vanquish was ugly as sin

Bayo was ok but even it wasn't particularly great (speaking art/graphics here, very fun to play)

The hell are you talking about? Lighting, motion blur + object blur, particles and effects still look top-notch in Vanquish

Scum

Iwata Asks: H. Kamiya and Platinum Direct for Wonderful 101 & Bayonetta 2 needs to happen sooner rather than later.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
To those who are concerned with the possibility of Platinum Games being bought by Nintendo and therefore being unable to develop for the more powerful next gen consoles, how likely do you think it is that Platinum would even be able to secure the funding they would need for the kind of graphically intensive titles you guys are asking for? I mean, Bayonetta was their most popular game by far and they still struggled to release a sequel to it. Platinum's games aren't really breaking any sales records or anything, so I'm curious what makes it so clear that Nintendo would be the ones holding them back in this case?

Platinum is independent, and so all the games they've developed are contract based. With Bayonetta 2, we know SEGA initially greenlit product to some degree, and then pulled the plug. SEGA still technically own the rights to "Bayonetta", but Nintendo swooped in and picked up the development and publishing rights for Bayonetta 2. However long it was developed at SEGA would have been somewhat wasted time until Nintendo entered the picture.

The Wonderful 101 is a different case, one of which we might learn more abut at a later date. I figure, like any indy dev, Platinum/Kamiya had the idea down and pitched it around, and Nintendo were the ones the pick it up. No different to SEGA picking up MadWorld, Bayonetta, and Vanquish, and Konami contracting them to make Revengeance.

And really, for those concerned Nintendo is holding Platinum back or will stand in the way of developing next gen titles, being able to contract work is all that matters. Platinum want to make games, and they need someone to fund that process as well as distribution. If nobody is going to put the cash down, the game simply won't exist. This is exactly what happened with Bayonetta 2 and why it's so silly when people kick up a stink about it being Wii U exclusive. No Nintendo, no Bayonetta 2.

As long as Platinum can get funding from pubs for next gen games, we'll get them. If they cant, and Nintendo continue to fund projects, then great. That's the difference between having games and not having games. I don't think people should be worried about a full acquisition though, and given the positive reception (critically and commercially) of Revengeance I expect KojiPro has already had words with Platinum for a sequel.

monome

I'm so excited.
And I just can't hide it.

no, no, no, no, no!

I'm about to loose control and I think I like it.

yeaaahhhh! yeahhhh!

monome

One step closer to a buyout.

as noted above, PG's worth is its talent pool.

A buyout may shift loyalties.

Nintendo and PG probably have had discussions about a third game.
that's all I need to think about to make sweet, leaky dreams.

zroid

Banned
ooh this should be a good read

also i can't believe people are still talking about this acquisition thing. it's really dumb. Platinum doesn't even want to be bought out. They fucking said to Iwata's face that they like being independent (this was in an Iwata Asks)

Exile20

I agree. I want to see what Platinum has to offer on the PS4 and Xbone. Unless Platinum is dying, they need to remain 3rd party.

Why limit yourself to those consoles? If you want to see their games on powerful hardware, make it is a PC exclusive.

I can't wait for Bayonetta 3 and TW101 2(TW102) to be Wii U exclusives especially if those games turns out to be awesome.

zroid

Banned
Kind of off-topic, I really wish P* would ape Game Freak and start a program to, alongside their main projects, develop some smaller games, headed up by just a few team members. It's a brilliant way to both give fans a taste of something a bit different every so often and also just a general morale booster and creative outlet for the people working in the studio.

As one of the few relatively large independent studios, they're the ones (like Game Freak) who can do this. Plus, wouldn't it be awesome to see a self-published P* game where they own the IP?

Kade

Kind of off-topic, I really wish P* would ape Game Freak and start a program to, alongside their main projects, develop some smaller games, headed up by just a few team members. It's a brilliant way to both give fans a taste of something a bit different every so often and also just a general morale booster and creative outlet for the people working in the studio.

As one of the few relatively large independent studios, they're the ones (like Game Freak) who can do this. Plus, wouldn't it be awesome to see a self-published P* game where they own the IP?

Hopefully Kamiya or Inaba get a chance to do a game for Level-5's Guild compilations.

Geedorah

Can't wait for Bayo2 - still not entirely sold on the WiiU, so I will be playing/borrowing my brother-in-laws. Gonna take like a week off work and just play Bayo until my eyes bleed.

TreIII

Excellent news~! Now I just need a release date for when it will go on the Eshop already...

Unless there will be a super-sexy LE to buy...? 8D

Did Nintendo outright fund this for full exclusivity? Does anyone know what the arrangement is? It's absoloutely locked to Nintendo consoles or possibly only a timed exclusive?

How the fuck is this still getting asked? Serious over a year later and people still don't have a damn clue. Every damn Bayonetta 2 thread.

I hope that by the time Bayonetta 2 releases, I can pick up a Wii U for dirt cheap. Whatever the price it's likely to be the most expensive peripheral I've bought for a game.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I wonder what made Nintendo fund this game. Is it an attempt to capture the "mature" audience that liked Bayonetta?
Yes, this game along with zombiU and an attempt to get a special batman were to attract older audiences to The platform, the "nintendo too kiddy" audience, as it turns out they just don't like nintendo in general

Does that absoloutely confirm they can't release on other platforms? Like they entirely funded the game or partially? Do they own the rights?
I'm assuming you guys are completely right, I just kinda want assurance y'all know what you're talking about before I commit seppuku here.

EDIT: yeah it sounds like it's concrete :(

This is a passenger announcement. We are sorry to announce that the Bayonetta 2 hype thread has been temporarily delayed as a result of derailment due to a large amount of salt on the line. Platinum Games would like to apologise for this delay and the inconvenience it may have caused.

Top Bottom