• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going Platinum: Bayonetta 2, combat design, and the Nintendo angle

Tuck

I don't want to see Platinum exclusive to any of the big 3. How likely would something like that be though? They would be a pretty major grab for Nintendo.

It'd be a massive grab for Nintendo, as Platinum has several studios, and Nintendo needs more high quality developers (desperately). Granted, Platinum games don't seem to sell that well for some reason. But hey, it'd mean more high quality exclusives for Nintendo.

As long as Platinum games has free reign to do whatever they please, I am content.

To those who are concerned with the possibility of Platinum Games being bought by Nintendo and therefore being unable to develop for the more powerful next gen consoles, how likely do you think it is that Platinum would even be able to secure the funding they would need for the kind of graphically intensive titles you guys are asking for? I mean, Bayonetta was their most popular game by far and they still struggled to release a sequel to it. Platinum's games aren't really breaking any sales records or anything, so I'm curious what makes it so clear that Nintendo would be the ones holding them back in this case?

Platinum are an extremely efficent studio that create some of the best games in the AAA space, with some of the cheapest budgets.

The bayonetta situation was unique as Sega Obviously wanted to go alot further with her at one point with even a movie planned. Bayonetta 2 fell victim of Segas holding company pulling the leash and wasnt because platinum suddenly stopped being able to aquire funding.

In an industry that Ninja theory and spark unlimited can continuously get work, an independant platinum will be just fine.

StatsChu

Neo Member
Seems like they are happy or at least content with their relationship with Nintendo.

Here's hoping Ninty moneyhats them for a Infinite Space sequel for the 3DS

YES!!! Infinite Space is one of my favorite games of all time - such an epic story line.

That said, I can't wait for Bayo 2.

Sounds fantastic. I'll have to pick up the original Bayonetta and play through that before the sequel comes out. I think it's a mistake not putting the first game on the eshop.

Just give me a release date for Bayo 2 so I can know when to get my Wii U.

Bayo 2 is like the second coming of video game Jesus, I'm not surprised that there are unbelievers.

Himself

Where does all this speculation of Nintendo buying Platinum come from? Was there any sort of seed, or is this 100% speculation?

rvy

Banned
Where does all this speculation of Nintendo buying Platinum come from? Was there any sort of seed, or is this 100% speculation?

People are so upset that Bayo 2 is WiiU exclusive that they're coming up with paranoid shit about Platinum.

Himself

People are so upset that Bayo 2 is WiiU exclusive that they're coming up with paranoid shit about Platinum.

Jeez. I imagine it's also wishful thinking on die hard Nintendo fans' part. It would be a bit of a coup over all the "haters".

What was the last well established studio that Nintendo just straight up bought?

Well... I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to this. Even if we lose Rising 2 :'(

Could you imagine a Platinum Games redesign of an actual Metroid in the game? The art would be scary as shit, I bet.

The last time Metroid got handed to an action game developer it didn't work out so well.

Itagaki was gone by then, though. Team Ninja hasn't been the same since. I would be a bit worried how they would handle the exploration stuff, though.

Exile20

It is all speculation.

People are saying because if it does happen fanboys around the world will be pissed as hell like when Bayonetta 2 was first announced

Nintendo needs a good developers to make "mature" games and bolster their portfolio of games.

The fact that Nintendo has not only one but two games from the same developer meaning that there is some good relationship between them going on.

PSGames

It is all speculation.

People are saying because if it does happen fanboys around the world will be pissed as hell like when Bayonetta 2 was first announced

Nintendo needs a good developers to make "mature" games and bolster their portfolio of games.

The fact that Nintendo has not only one but two games from the same developer meaning that there is some good relationship between them going on.

Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

mantidor

I'll never understand why anyone wants this. I'll buy their games on any platforms like a true fan

It would guarantee Platinum output for many years.

As much as I would like to see the meltdowns, Nintendo itself has already said is not in their plans to acquire any more studios. They have mentioned it serves no purpose since the talent usually leaves.

mantidor

The last time Metroid got handed to an action game developer it didn't work out so well.

One of the greatest ironies in gaming. People were terrified about what Team Ninja would do to Metroid, but we should have been afraid the other way around. Team Ninja's actual contribution was the best aspect of the game, Samus finally recovered her agility and speed, she actually surpassed previous entries.

krizzx

Did Nintendo outright fund this for full exclusivity? Does anyone know what the arrangement is? It's absoloutely locked to Nintendo consoles or possibly only a timed exclusive?

This has been gone over more than a thousand times. You want to play this game? You buy a Wii U. Otherwise, you are not getting it.

Darryl

Banned

it's all speculation. we've already heard them talk about how they enjoyed being independent since they started working with nintendo so this talk was pretty much shot in the foot early. the speculation probably stems from how constant discussion about how nintendo needs to acquire studios. platinum isn't in the position that monolith was, though. they're already pretty bulky on talent. i can't see any obvious benefit to them doing it unless there's some personal shit we don't know about like debt.

MrT-Tar

I highly, highly doubt Platinum games would be bought over by any console manufacturer. The closest I can see them going to a Nintendo takeover would be a fixed term exclusivity contract with Nintendo, where Nintendo provides funding, localisation and publishing duties.

Man, seems like a lot of people have never bought a console just to play a few exclusive games before. If you have any interest at all in Nintendo properties along with your PG love then a Wii U is a no-brainer. Surely Nintendo will do something this fall to make the system more affordable or enticing.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I'm glad Nintendo is making sure one of the very few decent games it has on its alive (not dead yet) whatever-gen console is being looked after by Nintendapo.

But will it save the system? Can pigs fly? You get the picture.

I'm glad Nintendo is making sure one of the very few decent games it has on its alive (not dead yet) whatever-gen console is being looked after by Nintendapo.

who cares,

just glad to play a great franchise by a great developer

krizzx

The system doesn't need saving. It just needs games.

Man, seems like a lot of people have never bought a console just to play a few exclusive games before. If you have any interest at all in Nintendo properties along with your PG love then a Wii U is a no-brainer. Surely Nintendo will do something this fall to make the system more affordable or enticing.

For me personally, there are no must-haves on the Wii U yet or in the near future. I'm a huge fan of Zelda (enjoyed Wind Waker but not enough to buy HD ) so if the Wii U Zelda was out today, I'd buy the console in a heart beat. Out of all the Wii U games I played at E3, Bayo 2 and Mario Kart 8 were the only two titles that caught my interest. And those aren't coming out until next year.

Haha, let's hope Nintendo input is not "you guys should put a tutorial here... and here... and here...".

Kid icarus had so few tutorials that people were straight up playing it wrong. Nintendo seems fairly hands off with its more core-oriented IP.

For me personally, there are no must-haves on the Wii U yet or in the near future. I'm a huge fan of Zelda (enjoyed Wind Waker but not enough to buy HD ) so if the Wii U Zelda was out today, I'd buy the console in a heart beat. Out of all the Wii U games I played at E3, Bayo 2 and Mario Kart 8 were the only two titles that caught my interest. And those aren't coming out until next year.

no Wonderful 101 love?
Wonderful_Jel101_Dodge.gif

I wonder what made Nintendo fund this game. Is it an attempt to capture the "mature" audience that liked Bayonetta?

Variety. This kind of game is very scarse, and people seem to like Platinum Games for this genre. It's definitely cheaper and more flexible than trying to get something like GTA or some otger big, expensive franchise.

Plus, this game relies heavily on gameplay, so it fits Nintendo's desigb standards.

no Wonderful 101 love?

Wonderful 101 is also a title I will pick up eventually. I know it's releasing soon in a couple of weeks but that's a title I can hold off on. Nothing but love for Kamiya and Platinum. Bayonetta is my favorite action game of all time... of all time. I even have the Future Press guide, unopened and am currently waiting for the Eyes of Bayonetta artbook to be shipped.

Scoops

Banned
This game is so going to be so hype. Platinum and Nintendo really are a match made in heaven,

Nintendo wouldn't buy Platinum though, especially if they keep working out these partnership games. Why buy a developer when the talent can just leave.

R-User!

So I don't have Bayonetta yet, and I've read the thread a while back about the differences between 360 and PS3.... But I forget; are the patches in the PS3 good enough to make it perform or look as good as the 360 version?

And this interview makes me want to buy Bayonetta before Bayo2 comes out. Thanks knowledge-GAF!

So I don't have Bayonetta yet, and I've read the thread a while back about the differences between 360 and PS3.... But I forget; are the patches in the PS3 good enough to make it perform or look as good as the 360 version?

And this interview makes me want to buy Bayonetta before Bayo2 comes out. Thanks knowledge-GAF!

PS3 version is better now from what I've read, but 360 is still the superior version.

EDIT: And yes... do play the first one. It's not overhyped.

360S still better, but ps3 is now perfectly competent.

Anteater

Patches mostly improve the load time, framerate still crap, but still worth playing if you don't have a 360, don't know about graphics, never paid attention to that, lol.

R-User!

Patches mostly improve the load time, framerate still crap, but still worth playing if you don't have a 360, don't know about graphics, never paid attention to that, lol.

I have both 360 and PS3 but about 90% of my games are on PS3, so I would rather continue to grow the PS3 collection.

Edit: but Dat Framerate is haunting me...

Anteater

I have both 360 and PS3 but about 90% of my games are on PS3, so I would rather continue to grow the PS3 collection.

There was a demo on psn, not sure if it's still available, but you could give that a try and see if the framerate bothers you.

.la1n

Just the thought that they are going to one up one of the best action games to ever grace the genre is hype inducing. I am so glad this wasn't just left to die by Sega. I never thought I'd see a sequel to Bayonetta but here we are. Doesn't seem like there is any need for concern with Kamiya not being as hands on with the sequel.

Top Bottom