• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

atmuh

I'm 3 hours in now and it's very hard to put down. There's a lot of depth to the Golf while still remaining accessible. The world is very expansive and the story, while nothing huge, is told in such an endearing way. What a brilliant game.
after going off your impressions of steamworld dig 2 and loving that game I'm onboard for this now too

Silurus

What about the main question which affects people’s decision whether to buy or not: What does the game tile look like in the OS and is it better than that of Snake Pass?

What about the main question which affects people’s decision whether to buy or not: What does the game tile look like in the OS and is it better than that of Snake Pass?

Don't worry, it isn't a giant picture of a Golf ball with no title:
hwJTDOY.png

Son of a...my attach rate is through the roof with this damn switch, and only looks to be increasing this week with fifa and golf the rpg or whatever. Let's do this!

Can't really say at the moment. There's no embargo but the game seems pretty big. If I can finish it tonight I'll try and get a review out tomorrow but I would suggest expecting most to roll out in a few days time. I realise the game will have released by then.

Thanks!

I'm impressed that this game seems so big. I mean, it's an RPG so those are typically long but still, it's a golf game at its core. Looking forward to reading more impressions.

Damn, with this, Steamworld Dig 2 and Death Squared going on sale I'm probably gonna wind up buying 3 more games in September than I thought I would. Switch keeps punishing my wallet.

King_Moc

Banned
Son of a...my attach rate is through the roof with this damn switch, and only looks to be increasing this week with fifa and golf the rpg or whatever. Let's do this!

Yep, at the end of this week I'll have 21 switch games. And I was one of the people decrying the launch line up before it came out. Wtf.

Yep, at the end of this week I'll have 21 switch games. And I was one of the people decrying the launch line up before it came out. Wtf.

They started showing up. I guess there was some skepticism initially towards the Switch from devs burned by the Wii or Wii U, and at some point (though not in time to get much at launch) people started getting on board.

finalflame

Gold Member
Never thought I'd want to play a sports RPG this much. Just watched the "first 30 minutes" video and I'm hooked; definitely getting this tomorrow when it goes live!

Can someone explain the developer behind this one? Are these former Camelot/Clap Hanz guys or something? (haven't really kept up on the news with this one, but definitely intrigued)

Hasney

Watching the Waypoint stream because I can't help it, but this is living up to my stupidly high expectations already.

Can someone explain the developer behind this one? Are these former Camelot/Clap Hanz guys or something? (haven't really kept up on the news with this one, but definitely intrigued)

Nope. Seemingly brand new and Australia based.

I'm waiting for reviews, but it looks promising. Since we're talking about attach rate. I have 11 games right now and will add at least 4 more this year. I haven't actually had this many games on a system since the Dreamcast.

Yep I'll be at 22. And I've got at least 3 more coming that I know of before the end of the year (SMO, DOOM, Skyrim). Possibly (likely) more than that too.

I'm very curious what the overall attach rate is when factoring in digital only games, which Nintendo usually leaves out of their financials.

DarkKyo

Really happy this ended up coming out in September as planned when there was some question as to unannounced details a couple weeks back.

Hope it's good!!

Doombear

We need more Themes...

And Avatars! I'd love to be able to use something from MHXX.

I really am happy to hear the handful of 'Don't worry, you'll like it' impressions so far. I hope they keep on coming and I am excited to hear more specific details. I was interested in this the second they showed the first teaser. I really want it to be fun/good.

One thing I really like is the game doesn't have any waypoint markers. Each setting is rather small but it still encourages you to become familiar with your surroundings. There's one part very early on where you're guided around the starting area and then suddenly they ask you to speak to three specific people. You already encountered these people earlier but it won't remind you exactly where they are. You either have to explore or remember where it was you saw them. I like this approach of progression a lot.

Fireblend

Banned
One thing I really like is the game doesn't have any waypoint markers. Each setting is rather small but it still encourages you to become familiar with your surroundings. There's one part very early on where you're guided around the starting area and then suddenly they ask you to speak to three specific people. You've already seen these people earlier but it won't remind you eactly where they are. You either have to explore or remember where it was you saw them earlier. I like this approach of progression a lot.
I'm watching the Waypoint stream and Patrick had trouble figuring out if there's any way to zoom out during a game and look at the whole course. Is that a thing?

Hasney

Had to forcefully stop watching the stream. It looks amazing and Patrick was having a great time seemingly too.

I'm watching the Waypoint stream and Patrick had trouble figuring out if there's any way to zoom out during a game and look at the whole course. Is that a thing?
You get an overview of the course before you the round starts. Once it's your go you can then choose between whatever club you want and it'll show you approximately where the ball will land. With the right stick you can scroll a little further than your maximum range but I don't actually think there's a way to view the entire course while in gameplay. It doesn't impact your shots as you can still see everything you need to but it would have been a welcome quality of life improvement.

Edit: Clicking down on the right stick zooms out.

Hasney

You get an overview of the course before you the round starts. Once it's your go you can then choose between whatever club you want and it'll show you approximately where the ball will land. With the right stick you can scroll a little further than your maximum range but I don't actually think there's a way to view the entire course while in gameplay. It doesn't impact your shots as you can still see everything you need to but it would have been a welcome quality of life improvement.

Yeah, the reason Patrick needed it is because he decided to just power through a forest and had no idea where the green was...

PROTIP: Don't do this

Teletraan1

Banned
This game was not on my radar until today but itlooks pretty good. I am going to wait for reviews or more impressions but I will probably pick this up.

I TELL A LIE

Just discovered clicking down on the right stick zooms out. Doh.

Hasney

Game tile looks cool on the home screen. To anyone who is playing it now, what is the golf to non golf ratio so far?

Watching Patrick, golf is usually the solution to quests. You can tee off anywhere, so you could like throw a ball down to chip over a barrier to hit a switch.

Lot of talking to NPCs as well and the sarcasm and jokes are landing for me

A few minutes of watching Patrick's stream confirmed this is everything I wanted and more. I missed out on Mario Golf for the GBA, but the GBC version is an all time favorite. The RPG quest stuff looks excellent and the actual golfing looks every bit as solid as I expected to be. Can't wait to see how the Disc Golf and Mini Golf stuff gets implemented. Well done Sidebar!

I'm at 44 games ;)

I'll be getting Golf Story tomorrow, can't wait!

But I have an unrelated question since I have way fewer games than you. I remember reading that the profile section of the Switch UI only shows 20 games. Once you passed that are the old ones deleted or do they just show your playtime once you play them again and they are in your top 20? How does that work?

Thanks for all you impressions on these Switch games by the way.

Shahadan

I'll be getting Golf Story tomorrow, can't wait!

But I have an unrelated question since I have way fewer games than you. I remember reading that the profile section of the Switch UI only shows 20 games. Once you passed that are the old ones deleted or do they just show your playtime once you play them again and they are in your top 20? How does that work?

Thanks for all you impressions on these Switch games by the way.

There is an icon at the end of the row "all software" and you see everything. The games you've played recently are always thrown back at the beginning of the row anyway

Watched that 30 minute gameplay video.

The putting game seems extremely weak, anyone have a chance to play it want to expand on it?

Putting is a huge part of golf games...disappointed to see how almost every swing starting from the tee box, all the way to putting on the green, seems to be very samey.

I laughed so hard at the conversation on disc golf from that stream.

Will be waiting for a review though. Between this and Steamworld Dig, my wallet is cryin.

Fireblend

Banned
I’ll be curious to see what kind of replayability this has after you finish the story mode. Would love to see exhibition matches that you can do indefinitely.

There's a quick play mode on the main menu. Apparently you unlock courses as you play through the story.

Top Bottom