• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

MrPanic

Ok, the game is looking good so far. The only worrisome thing is that all the putting greens seem to be flat, taking your normal "reading the green" mechanic away from what tends to make the putting challenging. Still looks good enough for a insta-buy tho, can't wait till tomorrow.

i'm honestly just shocked at how good the switch's first year is. It's fantastic. Probably helps that I had low expectations outside of the nintendo games, but still. I'm all for this system being an indie wonderboy
The last entire generations of systems had such shitty first years for me (Wii U, PS4, XB1), that even just a decent first year would have been great, but the Switch really has exceeded even my best expectations (with the exception of no virtual console).

luulubuu

It's a Cave Story spinoff where the crew play Golf. I think.

it's a story about someone who golfs, where you primarily play golf

TiredPaleEuropeanfiresalamander-max-1mb.gif

Which one is, GAF? Or should I say...GOLF?!

Ok, the game is looking good so far. The only worrisome thing is that all the putting greens seem to be flat, taking your normal "reading the green" mechanic away from what tends to make the putting challenging. Still looks good enough for a insta-buy tho, can't wait till tomorrow.

Patrick was struggling with reading the slope of the green in his stream, even missed a few putts due to it. Not anywhere close to being as complex as the droplet reading in Everybody's Golf, but it's at least as involved as the putting in Neo Turf Masters is.

TheMoon

Does anyone know if this is a lifetime Switch exclusive? Curious about the exclusivity deal because I haven't heard anything definitive.

I know nothing but I say with confidence: there is no deal. Nintendo doesn't do exclusivity deals. It's just a case of indie dev focuses on single platform, then ports it elsewhere later. Really nothing out of the ordinary and happens all the time.

I dont get this game

is a story about golf
or the history of golf
or the story about someone named golf

No.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Fucking Nintendo if reviews and impressions continue to be positive I'm buying. And I swear Nintendo systems are the only time I pay full price for digital games since afaik they don't really have fire sale prices like steam, PSN, XBL etc.

luulubuu

I derserve to know what a golf is, Kirby guy from the OT OT

snSonIK.png

WHY I SHOULD GOLF

okay, enough of that, looks great, I'm super excited about it and I'm happy I skipped on RUINER for this, not feeling like an edgy game right now, the older I get, the more cute my games need to be

MrPanic

Patrick was struggling with reading the slope of the green in his stream, even missed a few putts due to it. Not anywhere close to being as complex as the droplet reading in Everybody's Golf, but it's at least as involved as the putting in Neo Turf Masters is.

I mean, it's a simple slope and wind indicator, it's not really about reading the green but more about doing the math in this game. Neo Turf Master had actual slopes on the green.

finalflame

Gold Member
I really wish this would release today. Goddamn it. I might have to get in my car and drive down the street to Redmond to knock on NoA's door and demand a code.

I mean, it's a simple slope and wind indicator, it's not really about reading the green but more about doing the math in this game. Neo Turf Master had actual slopes on the green.

Ah, I guess I never fully grasped the slopes in Neo Turf Master. I might actually be thinking of the grain with that. Looking back, I see even Mario Golf GBC has some varied terrain on the green, so I see your point. Putting is always such a nightmare for me, I might actually be OK with how it's implemented here. We'll see.

The one thing I am intrigued by is the player's ability to place a separate pinpoint while lining up a shot's power. It's a nice touch that I've never seen done before, and while it might simplify things a bit, it's going to be pretty helpful in lining up some of the targeted trick shots that the quests give the player. (Bounce the ball off the footpath and on to the green, etc.)

Hasney

One thing I noticed during Waypoint stream is that the slope affects a lot more when the ball is going slower, so the slight curves you should elbe able to power through. Sure it'll come with practice though.

I'm sure the exclusivity will be timed, and it will sell bonkers on Switch, then proceed to release PC/PS4 versions. There's no reason for a game like this NOT to be made in Unity (unless it's not?) so I don't see porting being a problem.

Considering a major bullet point is this being TRULY EXCLUSIVE and at no point does their PR or Nintendo mention it's timed (where clarifying that is usually the case for any indie game they showcase), I doubt it.

That said, their incredibly silence on anything in terms of development makes even this a mystery.

Heh. You should try adding a huge PS4 backlog and upcoming releases to that too. And my demanding job :(

Looking forward to this, whenever I may get a chance to play it!

What really baffles me, is how a game like this can literally come out of nowhere and from an unknown developer, and be this awesome. I mean, we didn't even know anything about this game up until a couple of months ago, and even then it was just a short video clip.
Luckily for me, there is nothing I want to play on the ps4 til the end of year, if tlouii and spidey came out this year, I’d be totally swamped .

Bog

Junior Ace
After you brag to the goose that he can't putt like you, he should've waddled over and made an even further putt.

finalflame

Gold Member
Considering a major bullet point is this being TRULY EXCLUSIVE and at no point does their PR or Nintendo mention it's timed (where clarifying that is usually the case for any indie game they showcase), I doubt it.

That said, their incredibly silence on anything in terms of development makes even this a mystery.

Here's the thing, I see nothing on the official website that coins the game as exclusive coming directly from the horse's mouth (studio). It seems they have developed a good working relationship with Nintendo and had a desire to release on Switch (which I believe makes sense for a number of business reasons), but have the developers themselves at any point uttered the word "exclusive"?

All I can find is the media running with "exclusivity" because as far as we know it's on the Switch only for the foreseeable future.

Don't get me wrong, I'm getting this on my Switch on day 1 and it's the perfect kind of game for a hybrid handheld system, but I can't imagine this developer doesn't want to make the money from making it available at LEAST on PC if it's easy enough to port (which it should be if they used Unity, and, again, why wouldn't they?).

I'd love to double dip if it comes out on PC. Not that I plan to ever play it on PC, but I wouldn't mind giving the studio some extra $ for such an amazing game.

Fucking Nintendo if reviews and impressions continue to be positive I'm buying. And I swear Nintendo systems are the only time I pay full price for digital games since afaik they don't really have fire sale prices like steam, PSN, XBL etc.

Fuck gamers that refuse to pay more than pennies for games

Don't get me wrong, I'm getting this on my Switch on day 1 and it's the perfect kind of game for a hybrid handheld system, but I can't imagine this developer doesn't want to make the money from making it available at LEAST on PC if it's easy enough to port (which it should be if they used Unity, and, again, why wouldn't they?).

I'd love to double dip if it comes out on PC. Not that I plan to ever play it on PC, but I wouldn't mind giving the studio some extra $ for such an amazing game.

It's mostly from my impression of the developer. They say almost nothing, they appeared out of nowhere. And they got this exclusive Switch game that they clearly put a LOT of time on. And a week ago out of nowhere they were showcasing their game in Tokyo Game Show without even saying anything. They're going INCREDIBLY all in this as their first game. If they wanted to make a PC port before this point they would have.

Fireblend

Banned
It's mostly from my impression of the developer. They say almost nothing, they appeared out of nowhere. And they got this exclusive Switch game that they clearly put a LOT of time on. And a week ago out of nowhere they were showcasing their game in Tokyo Game Show without even saying anything. They're going INCREDIBLY all on this as their first game. If they wanted to make a PC port before this point they would have.

A port consumes resources. Resources they might only be able to afford with profit from sales on a console they know is young and in which people are going to appreciate a game that harkens back to a GBC/GBA clasic :p

I'm sure we'll see this ported at least to PC, so the devs can achiever more sales if it is indeed as great as it seems. I want them to make as much money from it as possible so they can keep delivering good games.

I'm buying this day 1 tomorrow, but if the devs can port it and get it to more people and profit even more, they absolutely should.

It's mostly from my impression of the developer. They say almost nothing, they appeared out of nowhere. And they got this exclusive Switch game that they clearly put a LOT of time on. And a week ago out of nowhere they were showcasing their game in Tokyo Game Show without even saying anything. They're going INCREDIBLY all in this as their first game. If they wanted to make a PC port before this point they would have.

I actually have an active bet about this game's exclusivity, so I hope it remains exclusive at least till January ^_^

Brizzo24

One of the devs said that the first 30 minutes is a tutorial. Mostly game basics get introduced. Then the game ramps up the putting greens more. Expect slopes and curves and whatnot. It'll get harder.

Perineum

I'm curious about this a lot. I'm thinking day one, but with the SNES classic I may just wait a pinch to hear general impressions and reviews to see how much meat is on this game's bones.

Love everything about it from that trailer though.

The only way this game is truly exclusive is if Nintendo funded development, i.e. Snipperclips. Nintendo is usually open about that, so my guess is the game is just a defacto exclusive for now because the team is small. Much like Shovel Knight, it will end up on other platforms if it does well.

Obviously I don't have any insider knowledge, but this just seems the most likely scenario to me.

Stencil

So does it come out at midnight tonight? Since that would technically be the 28th? Or how do digital releases work on release dates...

Looking back at the Indie direct Nintendo did, when it came to Golf Story they said it was coming "Exclusively to Switch", is worth noting that they specifically mentioned other games as "Coming to Switch first". So there's a possibility that this will be exclusive forever.

Top Bottom