• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story |OT| Return to Camelot

Cerium

I think it's a game where you need to pace yourself and take it in chunks rather than trying to marathon it all at once. I've been alternating it with Stardew sessions.

JonnyKong

I think it's a game where you need to pace yourself and take it in chunks rather than trying to marathon it all at once. I've been alternating it with Stardew sessions.

I think you're right, I've got Samus Returns arriving tomorrow so I'm going to start that and come back to GS.

I have loved this game so far but I think I might already be done with it as I can't for the life of me figure out how to control the discs properly in disc golf. Which is sad as it's gated my progress to the rest of the game.

Cerium

I have loved this game so far but I think I might already be done with it as I can't for the life of me figure out how to control the discs properly in disc golf. Which is sad as it's gated my progress to the rest of the game.

Read the OP.

How do I control the disc?

Be the disc. Use left and right to turn. Controls are from the perspective of the disc. This is often referred to as "tank controls".

To manage the speed press the throw button (normal strength) rather than holding it down (power throw).

I just got access to Oak Manor and I really like this area, haha. I was a bit fearful because just before that I had quit the game when
I had to to the schmoozing in Tidy Park
which appears to be a fatal bug for some.

I've been playing on and off and am about 18.5 hours so far. Some short sessions, some long sessions.

just about to play
Coach's Son
at
Blue Moon Dunes
. I'm trying to do everything because I'll be really sad once this is over.

I loaded up both portable Mario Golf games earlier and this really is up there with them.

WoolyNinja

I hit a ball off a cliff and the game made a few funny noises... then I realized my sound was off and my mind was blown that it was the HD Rumble! I then realized the sound of the ball going in the hole, etc was also the HD Rumble!!! WHAT!!!

jrcbandit

The Pro tournament is so frustrating. All the courses up until then have been easy for me. It's the combination of incredibly high wind, water everywhere (counts as 2 shots if goes in water), and every green is medium slope (difficult to predict how much ball speed and what angle to use when it is a 2D overhead representation ;p). I keep ending up in 2nd place with either a score of 1 or 2, I mean that would be a fantastic debut for an amateur going Pro, I should still win the game lol.

The Pro tournament is so frustrating. All the courses up until then have been easy for me. It's the combination of incredibly high wind, water everywhere (counts as 2 shots if goes in water), and every green is medium slope (difficult to predict how much ball speed and what angle to use when it is a 2D overhead representation ;p). I keep ending up in 2nd place with either a score of 1 or 2, I mean that would be a fantastic debut for an amateur going Pro, I should still win the game lol.
Yeah I had the same problem, but I just banged my head against it until I finally won

As frustrating as the course was it was incredibly satisfying to beat it

In Oak Manor, I can't get the second hole to register that I did it (I assume it turns blue once you do it).

I've tried sinking the ball in every hole in range, but nothing is working. Am I just not noticing the right hole, does the color not have to change from red to blue, or is it a bug?

Edit: figured it out, I was doing the manual ball drop instead of hitting A to "officially" do the hole. I made the same mistake hitting the balls into the skeletons.

mstevens

Powered through the last third of the game so I can try Stardew. Really enjoyed it overall. In fact, I think I like some of the golf mechanics more than Everybody's Golf. I really like precision mode and the ability to Tee up a few times per round.

I don't know if anyone else experienced this, but I felt like I had really bad luck throughout the game. I never lost a match or anything (did have to repeat quite a few challenges) but I felt like if I could get screwed over by a pixel, I would. I don't know how many times I went in the water or bunker by the very last possible pixel. The hole-in-ones on Oak manor were like that too. I felt like I was in some cartoon western where I was shooting a perfect trace all around the outlaw.

dock

I’m enjoying Golf Story but I can’t get my head around the controls. There’s no guide anywhere in the game, and they seem so complicated.

Can anyone summarise them?

Can I swing a club anywhere somehow? I know I can press Y to drop a ball to hit, but sometimes this results in a ball being left on the ground.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I’m enjoying Golf Story but I can’t get my head around the controls. There’s no guide anywhere in the game, and they seem so complicated.

Can anyone summarise them?

Can I swing a club anywhere somehow? I know I can press Y to drop a ball to hit, but sometimes this results in a ball being left on the ground.

X throws a ball - hold down to increase power. This is also used to throw discs in disc golf
Y drops a ball on the ground to take a shot. Usually you can do this anywhere but you might run into a few spots where you can’t. This is useful for things like hidden holes or just arsing about.

When taking a shot:
Left/right on the analog stick aims left/right
Up/down on the analog stick changes clubs
Press Y to go into ‘precision mode’ This lets you use up/down to move a ‘ghost’ target to where you want the ball to land. This shows you on the power bar where you need to press to get that distance. Bear in mind wind will affect this.
Press X to go into ‘spin mode’ (not sure what its called exactly’. You can move the red spot on the ball for side/top/back spin. In this game it is used in some challenges to get around obstacles but not that essential.
L/R bumpers are for top/back spin (you can see the overlay on the ball icon to show where the ball will be hit). You have to hold the bumper down until you press A to lock this in.
After finishing your aiming etc, press A to go into shot taking mode and then its your usual three click job.

For disc golf - you press/hold X to throw a disc, then the left analog to steer left/right. this is from the perspective of the disc so can be tricky to get used to

dock

Thanks so much, mrklaw!
What is Focus mode?

I'm stuck on the game already because I keep being told to snoop in Lurker Valley, but I did everything I could in Lurker Valley. Does this game have some awkward progress triggers?

kami_sama

Thanks so much, mrklaw!
What is Focus mode?

I'm stuck on the game already because I keep being told to snoop in Lurker Valley, but I did everything I could in Lurker Valley. Does this game have some awkward progress triggers?
Focus mode makes the ball ignore wind and will make the white marker go slower when swinging.

Sardello

So in the mansion, how does one get the
book
? I feel like I'll hit myself after seeing the answer

You need to play the minigolf hole in that room. You can't do it unless you don't have the ball of the color of the flag of the same hole.

one_kill

You need to play the minigolf hole in that room. You can't do it unless you don't have the ball of the color of the flag of the same hole.
Yeah, but where is the ball located?

Thanks for the response btw Sardello

Edit: nvm, somehow pressing A everywhere worked.
It was the bell

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks so much, mrklaw!
What is Focus mode?

Yeah there are different modes by pressing up on the direction arrows.
Normal mode is normal
Focus mode ignores wind and swings slower
Power mode hits the ball further
Tee mode lets you put the ball on a tee anywhere, so is useful if you’re deep in a bunker or deep rough.

They have to be unlocked by finding items, and are limited use - I think you start with three and then they slowly recharge as you hit perfect shots.

As for lurker valley - you did the mini course and everything the caveman wants? How about finding the archeologist? Honestly you should be able to find everything by just walking around and talking to everyone. Make sure you check out all areas, and play the course by going to the pro shop.

dock

As for lurker valley - you did the mini course and everything the caveman wants? How about finding the archeologist? Honestly you should be able to find everything by just walking around and talking to everyone. Make sure you check out all areas, and play the course by going to the pro shop.
I did every challenge I could. I can’t play the course because there is a missing idol. I need a shovel or similar for the archaeologist. I’ve bought every item available and the only challenge I haven’t done is Holey Moley 2.

CoolS

Found the
final cache on the world map. What do I get for it? The cacher in the soda bar won't react to it.

CoolS

I did every challenge I could. I can’t play the course because there is a missing idol. I need a shovel or similar for the archaeologist. I’ve bought every item available and the only challenge I haven’t done is Holey Moley 2.
you can equip different clubs

dock

you can equip different clubs
Thanks for the help!

Wow, the UX for this game is awful. There’s no indication of current club in the non-golfing sections.

Now I’m stuck because I have to appease a
turtle
I haven’t seen, and find some
baby turtles
that I haven’t the first idea where to look. I’m apparently terrible at this game.

duckroll

Didn't have time in the past few days to continue. Just picked it up again yesterday and have had one freeze per day so far. It just locks up during an animation (in this most recent case in the middle of a golf swing I'm attempting), or a cutscene just doesn't process properly. All these little annoyances pile up, and I'm having really bad luck with these bugs lol!

Solving a "murder mystery" seems fun though! I like the variety of random shit in the game's story. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Didn't have time in the past few days to continue. Just picked it up again yesterday and have had one freeze per day so far. It just locks up during an animation (in this most recent case in the middle of a golf swing I'm attempting), or a cutscene just doesn't process properly. All these little annoyances pile up, and I'm having really bad luck with these bugs lol!

Solving a "murder mystery" seems fun though! I like the variety of random shit in the game's story. :)

I think you had all of mine - been pretty plain sailing for me. I had one situation where I couldn’t exit galf but I didn’t lose any progress and then just avoided it.

Spades

Just got to the bit where you have to play disc golf and it’s honestly making me never want to pick up the game ever again.

duckroll

I think you had all of mine - been pretty plain sailing for me. I had one situation where I couldn’t exit galf but I didn’t lose any progress and then just avoided it.

If all my minor pain made it better for anyone else, then it was worth it! I don't believe luck transfers that way though. :p

Press - on any screen to see context sensitive controls. See FAQ in the OP.

Thanks so much, mrklaw!
What is Focus mode?
open Story menu option. See FAQ in the OP.

I had one situation where I couldn’t exit galf but I didn’t lose any progress and then just avoided it.
You can only quit GALF during a round. Not from its menu screen. See FAQ in the OP.

Just got to the bit where you have to play disc golf and it’s honestly making me never want to pick up the game ever again.
Be the disc. Use left and right to turn. Controls are from the perspective of the disc. This is often referred to as "tank controls". To manage the speed press the throw button (normal strength) rather than holding it down (power throw). See FAQ in the OP.

Watch out as up/down can greatly affect your distance, so I find it easier to not use them.

Yeah if you're actually on the green you're only allowed to use the putter. As this is how golf works.
I think during a round you can use any club on the green but on specific putting challenges you can only use the putter?

Wow, the UX for this game is awful. There’s no indication of current club in the non-golfing sections.
Press each of the d-pad buttons to change/see current club selection for each club type: driver, iron, wedge, putter.

Now I’m stuck because I have to appease a
turtle
I haven’t seen, and find some
baby turtles
that I haven’t the first idea where to look. I’m apparently terrible at this game.
You never really see the turtle you just need to find the
idol
item. The baby turtles are dotted around the course. Bring them to the yellow markers. You should not expect handholding in this game, each challenge is a puzzle to be solved.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finished the game and now find out you have an up/down control on discs. Never needed them though - for long shots I just threw it harder.

Finished the game and now find out you have an up/down control on discs. Never needed them though - for long shots I just threw it harder.
They're more hassle than they're worth. I play like you, using only left/right and power.

Speaking of disc: did anybody manage to
change the colour of all the poles from red to green
on the Blue Moon Dunes disc challenge? I played and failed the challenge repeatedly so I could try, but two of them seem to have no collision detection so I had to give up. Annoying.

Majora

Can't believe how many people have had trouble with disc golf. Just steer it left or right! Did the people having problems never play any top-down racing games or something?

I think I might be stuck, but not sure.

I'm in the Mansion and doing the murder mystery. I got the token, went into the room but didn't have the yellow ball. I'm told I need to just 'wait' now.

Can't believe how many people have had trouble with disc golf. Just steer it left or right! Did the people having problems never play any top-down racing games or something?

It's funny, I got the R/C minigame on the first try because I've played several games with those controls, but I've never played a disc golf game so I expected it to be different... for some reason?

Salaadin

Anyone aware of any glitches during the oak manor minion quest? I stand on the green circle, tee up, hit the target, and nothing happens...

Plainsong

Took me quite a few attempts then it clicked and I got it easily.

Just started this morning with this and when I looked up it was 4 hours later. Loving it so far. Just opened up the soda bar now I'll take a break.

Top Bottom