• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good 1P racing game for Xbox (Can't Play Online)

Kingpen

I have been wanting to get a racing game for the Xbox and am wondering what would be the best choice for me. I have PGR2 already, and it would be really good if it offered the option to race any car on any track, which is usually a very standard feature, but isn't offered. So I am making my way through the Kudos World Series and just don't see the game offering me much replay after I get done with that. I am for sure going to buy Burnout 3 next month, but now am wondering if I should trade PGR2 towards it, as I loved Burnout 2. Unfortunately I have no way of getting on Live, so I won't be online and I also am a solo gamer.

Which of the upcoming games being released this winter would be good for the single player? I like games that feature racing against oncoming traffic, custom soundtrack support, cop chases, and lots to do as a single player...

I liked Need for Speed Underground, but it just didn't have enough variety in music and tracks to hold up. I never played Midnight Club 2, so I am wondering about that series...

How is Rallysport Challenge 2???
I really wish EA would make a sequel to Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2, as that game was really good...

I guess what I am wondering is if PGR2 is really the best there is and maybe I should hold on to it???

pilonv1

Midtown Madness 3 is horrible offline. It's the same generic races/tasks over and over. You could give Sega GT a trial but it sounds like you're best waiting for Burnout 3.

jedimike

pilonv1 said:
Midtown Madness 3 is horrible offline. It's the same generic races/tasks over and over. You could give Sega GT a trial but it sounds like you're best waiting for Burnout 3.

I disagree. I loved the game and it's one of the few games that not only did I finish, but had to get 100%.

robot

You cant go wrong with PGR2 or RSC2. Theres so much offline content to keep ya busy. It all depends on wether you want a rally game or a street racer.

Midtown Madness is worth it if you can pick it up for $20. Online is far superior to it's offline mode, but thats not to say it's offline mode sucks. It's a fun go-anywhere racer.

EDIT: Just realized u had pgr2 already. I played the burnout 3 demo and it was pretty insane - and dont forget outrun 2!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I like Midnight Club II. It has a lot of short-cut races, neat tracks and the single player can be quite challenging. Personally, I think it's a lot better game than the generic NFS: Underground. While I'm sure the next version will be even better, you can get II for less than 20 bucks now.

Rallisport 2 is great offline and single-player. It's a lot more impressive than PGR2 (or any racer out there right now IMO).

I'm with you in wishing for a Hot Pursuit sequel. That's far and away their better racing franchise.

Kingpen

It sounds like Need for Speed Underground 2 will be better this year since it isn't so linear.... I probably will give Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition a chance too because it features open ended racing, and seems to be the only game this year that will have cops in it. I might pick up RallySport 2, as I have seen it has gone down in price. I think I will keep Project Gotham Racing 2 as well, as I have a feeling I may go back to it later. Dang there is so much money to be spent on games this year!

IgeL

FlatOut will rock both offline and online when it comes out in September, keep an eye out for that. It's sort of like Destruction Derby meets RalliSport, i.e. driving "rally" cars, causing havoc on the track etc.

This game rocks:

241495.jpg

It covers everything from Rally to Indy to Nascar to Big Rigs and much more. It's actually a story driven racing game where you compete in various events to gain sponsors and reputation to boost your career. It's really good.

Here's the back:

241495_back.jpg

Kingpen

I picked up RallySport 2 for 26 bucks (I figure any game under 30 bucks is a good buy for me because it is the equivalent of less then an hours pay for me)

You guys got me on the hype train for it. I am looking forward to popping it in my Xbox. I most likely will get Need For Speed Underground 2, MC3 and Burnout 3 this winter as well. Looks like my racing game fix is solved. Thanks for the opinions.

I still gotta beat F-Zero totally as well...

Gattsu25

Banned
PGR2 is a great game offline...you owe it to yourself to get this

after playing RSC I'm going to reluctantly recommend RSC2...while the original wasn't bad, I definately didn't like it at all...I hear RSC2 is a better game overall soo...

IgeL

eso76 said:
(isn't flat out using havok engine for physics ?)

Actually they have their own physics. Bugbear developed Rally Trophy some years ago and they have extensive knowledge of the racing genre, so it's quite safe to say that they're better off doing their own rally physics than using Havok. And it seems great. :)

Gregory

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
PGR2 is a great game offline...you owe it to yourself to get this

after playing RSC I'm going to reluctantly recommend RSC2...while the original wasn't bad, I definately didn't like it at all...I hear RSC2 is a better game overall soo...

heh, how about reading his post and the thread in general? ;) He has PGR2 and already bought RSC2.

Toca 2 is also a good recommendation, only second to RSC2, imo. Although a pretty far second..

eso76

IgeL said:
Actually they have their own physics. Bugbear developed Rally Trophy some years ago and they have extensive knowledge of the racing genre, so it's quite safe to say that they're better off doing their own rally physics than using Havok. And it seems great. :)

Really ? i read somewhere that it used havok, but in fact i couldn't see those physics adapting to a racing game without some serious reworking...most of the things havok tries to simulate wouldn't be needed, while the whole racing physics would have to be coded from scratch.
So, yeah, it would definately make more sense for them to develop their own physics, and they do look very good from what we've seen.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it doesn't really fit any of your criteria, but rallisport 2 is the best racing game since sega and namco's arcade heyday. get that.

JMPovoa

TOCA2 is a great driving game, especially if you go for manuals, which makes it that more authentic. But when you play it you never feel like it's THE game, unlike PGR2 which feels like that at times. I haven't had the time to pass definate judgment on RSC2 yet, but it's a winner already. May be just too arcadey for some though.

Kingpen

Played RallySport 2 for over 2 hours last night and loved every minute of it. So much so, that PGR2 is going in for tradebait sometime in the near future. I figure that Burnout3 and RallySport 2 will be more then enough to keep me entertained for racing games. RSC2 is so pretty, I feel like I am playing a tech demo! I don't even care which car I use in the game, the tracks are just so vibrant and fun to play on with anything!

Top Bottom