• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goodbye Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Celegus

My dog's name is Buckey, so I approve of your excellent choice in town names! I haven't logged in for a long long time, but I'm interested in seeing your town you put so much time and love into, so I'll fire it up later and stop over.

pantsmith

That was some wonderful introspection, thanks for taking the time to write it up.

I cant play Animal Crossing anymore because I already spent too much time on the first game, and the idea of having to run a different town (and then eventually leave it to be overcome by weeds) is just too much.

Caliginous

Neo Member
Excellent post. I played ACNL for about six months before putting it down. I definitely didn't accomplish as much in my town, but I absolutely understand the enjoyment gained by working on your town. I loved it when my villagers would say new things I hadn't heard before. I found a few things tedious (weekly turnips), but overall I was amazed at how much I loved my first AC game.

Lexxism

Woah that's a lot. I played this game for 250 hours. I can't wait for Animal Crossing U. Where is it Nintendo? I'm seriously waiting!

#Respect
ihgeEKo28P7kQ.gif

Opiate

I think the same thing every time i see someone with thousands of hours in MOBAs.

By contrast, I always feel bad for people who seem to need to buy 2 games a month to have as much fun as someone who can buy one 40 dollar game (or even a free game) every 6 months.

I don't like animal crossing, personally, but I think it's great that some people can be so economically efficient and not blow all their discretionary income just to have fun.

Damn, good effort OP. I did about 120 hours and then changed the setting to 'beautiful town' before stopping in November. I think it was the longest I'd played an AC game for, most of them I've played I stop playing about 3 months in. Top notch game.

But even if you don't boot the game, time goes by and that villager is gonna move anyway, isn't he? I think I recall playing the game after some time and finding out some neighbors were already gone.

If you stop playing prior to a villager moving out and never load the town again nobody else will move, no matter how long it is left. I read on a forum how someone changed their clock forward a few years when a villager was due to move out, and the only one to leave was the one scheduled to go.

I love New Leaf to bits. A very wonderful experience made all the better because several of my family are playing it too. :D First time I've truly been able to enjoy it this way since the GameCube one.

Creating my awesome town, all the trading and collecting, to other things like staying up late dealing in turnips (serious business!) lol.

Memories I'll never forget! Can't wait to do it all again next Animal Crossing. <3

ACGAF represent!

cackhyena

By contrast, I always feel bad for people who seem to need to buy 2 games a month to have as much fun as someone who can buy one 40 dollar game (or even a free game) every 6 months.

I don't like animal crossing, personally, but I think it's great that some people can be so economically efficient and not blow all their discretionary income just to have fun.
Yep

I always like playing ACNL during a holiday, to see the holiday theme they have going on and get the unique items!

And wow I love how the game looks in winter!

Orayn

Congrats, OP! It sounds like you found an experience that really resonated with you and you took it about as far as it could go. That's something I'm always searching for myself.

A&#946;ydo&#962;;121576222 said:
So much time you could've spend on better games ç_ç

I know right? People shouldn't play what they like, people should play what *I* like.

gogogow

I agree. I am someone who's guilty of that too. I need to learn to change my spending habits. It's definitely getting better lately, but still when I see a game being discounted I fear I won't get a chance to buy the game at the same price again. I have so many games dating all the way back to the PS2. I have like at least 25+ PS2 games unplayed and not to mention to all the other newer platforms. Now I already have a backlog on my PS4 ... :(

Roto13

I'm pleased to say that none of the OTs ever got creepy. Thank god.

Playing 600 hours of Animal Crossing hasn't stopped me from hoarding games. :p

Anyway, I haven't really played much Animal Crossing in about a month, but it was great playing with Chopper and everyone else. It's the best subcommunity on GAF. The game itself really is like a zen garden.

Thanks for all the good times, Chopper.

Awesome stuff, it was my first in the series and I loved it. Only played about 300 hours so no where near your time. This game got my Mother into gaming and she ended up buying a 2nd cart so she could have two towns to herself. She still plays it all the time with my Dad they both play in the living room on their own XLs. So cute to hear them talking about the game and exchanging furniture.

Really hoping for a Wii U game!

tsab

Best 0€ ever spend. Nintendo gave it free on a promotion.
I think I played 50-60 hours (not close as your 850!!!) and may get back to it now on my summer vacation :D

Thanks OP!

It's a good-ass game, OP. I always think I'm going to return to my town of Secunda but I always get distracted. I know I'll return eventually to a town full of weeds.

Griss

Lovely OP, it truly is a wonderful game. I couldn't put more than 60-80 hours into it myself, but those hours were really great.

Anyone have that gif or webm of when you go to delete your town? As I recall it's fairly heartbreaking. Isabelle has a bit of a breakdown on the menu screen and makes it pretty clear that you'll be killing all of your friends in town.

I guess lonely, mayor-less isolation is better than that at least, right? :(

Fireblend

Banned
Already posted a reply here but I have to add: for a second there after reading the thread title I thought it would be some news about Nintendo shutting down the New Leaf servers or something. I admit I freaked out until I read the OP. It would've meant I picked the game up again at the worst time possible.
KuGsj.gif

Also I just got Lucha into my town. Woo!
Anyone have that gif or webm of when you go to delete your town? As I recall it's fairly heartbreaking. Isabelle has a bit of a breakdown on the menu screen and makes it pretty clear that you'll be killing all of your friends in town.
I gotta see this :O

Despera

Banned
One thing I really miss are the Animal Crossing themed swapnotes. A shame they decided to discontinue that service.

TheGrue

Somewhere in June, right after my one year anniversary with the game, I decided not to play anymore as well. I had spent time with the game every day for a year without fail....even if it as only fifteen minutes. I ended up logging 370 hours with the game. I figured I had seen everything in the game there is to see by playing it once a day (I mean, technically there are characters I've never met, but I have seen all the events).

The game I replaced it with was Disney Magical World, which I spent 106 hours on to get the 100 stickers you can get in that game. Now I've moved on to Rune Factory 4. One thing I do wish that Rune Factory did that Magical World and AC do is have a real-world clock, but I think this game fills my apparent need to do spend a little bit of time each day with a game to get some tasks done. I also have Tomodachi Life, but I don't play it daily.

I've played almost everyday since launch as well, but now I'm finding harder to find things to do in the game, so I might retire my town pretty soon too. Of course I still need to finish my art exhibit in the museum, and I wouldn't feel right quitting before doing so. I only need 6 more pieces, so I check daily mainly for Redd, and on Saturday mornings I do some weekly town maintenance.

Silvawuff

That was a great read, OP. Thank you for sharing your experience. That is the true core of what AC is about.

I also understand why it's not a game for everyone, especially one of endurance.

Great game. I petered off at about 300 hours, but I love it.

Animal Crossing Gaf is awesome. This is Coldsnap btw, Bryan from town Pasta.
Same here. A one-two punch of real world issues and it taking too much time to unlock the PWPs to finish my town made me end up never getting back to it after taking a break. 300+ hours and lots of memories from ACGAF though.

See now I have to boot it up again, for old times' sake. Too many feels.

Mononoke

Banned
I put about 70 hours into New Leaf before quitting. I know I'm weak. I'm just burnt out on these kind of games it seems.

Top Bottom