• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Megasoum

Banned
It's the new user switcher. It used to be that you could create multiple chrome "users", and each one would have a different profile, cache, saved passwords, etc. Great feature for households with multiple people that shared a single computer. But most people didn't know about it and it was under utilized.

Previously, if you had multiple users, you would see a little avatar icon to the left of your leftmost tab, and clicking that would drop down a little bubble that would you let you change the active user on the fly. That has been moved to the place you see now, and I believe it now shows even if you are the only user, due to the addition of allowing you to go incognito. This is another useful feature that most people didn't know about or didn't understand, so they are trying to increase its visibility to make more people aware of it.

Any way to hide that thing? Not seeing an option for that in the settings.

rossonero

It's the new user switcher. It used to be that you could create multiple chrome "users", and each one would have a different profile, cache, saved passwords, etc. Great feature for households with multiple people that shared a single computer. But most people didn't know about it and it was under utilized.

Previously, if you had multiple users, you would see a little avatar icon to the left of your leftmost tab, and clicking that would drop down a little bubble that would you let you change the active user on the fly. That has been moved to the place you see now, and I believe it now shows even if you are the only user, due to the addition of allowing you to go incognito. This is another useful feature that most people didn't know about or didn't understand, so they are trying to increase its visibility to make more people aware of it.

Oh thanks for the info, didn't even know Chrome had that feature and now that I installed it again the user switcher is gone.

I'm still having problems with gifs, the affected tab gets really slow and unresponsive.

Any way to hide that thing? Not seeing an option for that in the settings.

Not as far as I know. It's there to stay. I believe they're trying to increase the visibility of Incognito Mode so people start using it more. Which is a good thing I guess, but like anything that has close to a billion users, not everyone is going to like it.

Megasoum

Banned
Not as far as I know. It's there to stay. I believe they're trying to increase the visibility of Incognito Mode so people start using it more. Which is a good thing I guess, but like anything that has close to a billion users, not everyone is going to like it.

My OCD is making me twitch right now...ugh

How has the text issue remained on Win7 in Chrome and Chromium? Enabling DirectWrite or LCD text antialiasing doesn't fix it.

Incredible

My OCD is making me twitch right now...ugh

chrome://flags/#enable-new-profile-management

Should be able to disable first option

cbox

I'm having serious problems running 1080p60 videos on my machine. I have an i7 2600k and a 6870 and it runs around 2 fps. Any ideas why? I'm on regular chrome.

Groof

I'm having serious problems running 1080p60 videos on my machine. I have an i7 2600k and a 6870 and it runs around 2 fps. Any ideas why? I'm on regular chrome.
I have the same issue. I think turning off hardware acceleration for video solves it, but RAM usage may be higher.

I also get constant page has become unresponsive popups. And by constant I mean every 5 minutes. It's so annoying because they superimpose themselves on all other windows. I clean install solved it before, but then it came back. Tried it again and no dice. Haven't installed any new or strange extensions so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

DonMigs85

Do you have the latest Catalyst Omega installed? Might not also be a bad idea to switch to Chrome 64-bit. It's seamless.

longdi

Banned
On my new W8.1 re-install, Chrome 64bit keeps popping up page(s) unresponsive error.

Any idea what is wrong?
Chrome64 worked fine before this.

Groof

On my new W8.1 re-install, Chrome 64bit keeps popping up page(s) unresponsive error.

Any idea what is wrong?
Chrome64 worked fine before this.

See my post above, having the exact same issue. I've searched for days for a solution and nothing has come up. Seems to be fairly widespread.

wilflare

sorry to bump this up - but is there any good extensions/app that scans through your bookmarks for duplicates, etc and help re-organize them?

McLovin

I'm done with chrome. It crashes on gifs, videos stutter all the time now, I can't even have more then a few tabs open. Am I suppose to buy a new pc to browse the internet? F that. And I know its not the computer because IE and firefox work fine. It even lags on my phone and ipad. Sites that would crash on my ipad run perfectly fine on safari. So yeah I'm done. I'm posting this from my IE browser :/

strafer

I'm done with chrome. It crashes on gifs, videos stutter all the time now, I can't even have more then a few tabs open. Am I suppose to buy a new pc to browse the internet? F that. And I know its not the computer because IE and firefox work fine. It even lags on my phone and ipad. Sites that would crash on my ipad run perfectly fine on safari. So yeah I'm done. I'm posting this from my IE browser :/

Yeah, I'm back on Firefox.

I really hope they do fix Chrome though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not sure if this is GAF specific, but after browsing even a few pages, images will just stop loading and I need to close chrome and reopen it. I only have a few tabs open too.

And even before that, it takes ages for links to be clickable - even the basic gaming forum page so no gifs or anything.

VPhys

I suddenly got something weird next to my minimize-icon. It says "first user" and you can press on it and have a profile photo, switch users and go incognito. Why the hell is it there?

The Chrome version is 39.0.2171.65 dev-m

I just noticed this today. My name was in the top right of the browser. WTF?

Luckily I found a fix

Chrome://flags

under Enable the new avatar menu, click disable

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

This never popped up for me. Are they doing a slow roll out, or has Google actually nixed something that people didn't like?

ryan299

So, I just switched back to pc after years on Mac and I'm learning windows over. I've been using chrome fine but yesterday the window disappeared.

I have it running but can't see anything. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it but I'm running into the problem again. Same thing happened with file explorer but after a restart it worked again. Any ideas?

I'm on windows 8.1

Megasoum

Banned
I started having a weird issue with Chrome and youtube a day or two ago.

The way my 2 monitors are generally setup is that I have a maximized Chrome window on the main screen and a non maximized one on my second monitor that takes roughly 90% of the screen. The last 10% (the far right) is a 1 column window of TweetDeck I keep there.

Now in the last couple of days youtube stopped resizing to fit the window properly on my second monitor. This means that when I open a window the video will be sized for my full resolution instead of the size of the actual window and I get a horizontal scroll bar. Really annoying.

Kibbles

I've decided to use Chrome profiles on my computer to sync all my stuff to all my devices, BUT what I realized is anyone can just switch to my profile? Can you not password protect your Chrome profile? I made another profile that people can use but mine isn't protected at all and I can't find an option anywhere. Seems to be completely missing the point for me.

3phemeral

there's the option to create supervised users

They can, but if you create a supervised user, you can't add any extensions/plugins to that profile. Also, there's still no real way to lock your profile as far as I can find.

One useful thing about the is that I can link all of my family members' profiles to y computer and connect to there's remotely to fix their computer issues with Chrome Remote Desktop, though.

Nyrad

They can, but if you create a supervised user, you can't add any extensions/plugins to that profile. Also, there's still no real way to lock your profile as far as I can find.

I don't know about the extension situation but you can lock your admin account by clicking on your username (right corner in chrome) and choose the last option (lock account). After that you have to input your Google password to access your chrome profile.

3phemeral

I don't know about the extension situation but you can lock your admin account by clicking on your username (right corner in chrome) and choose the last option (lock account). After that you have to input your Google password to access your chrome profile.

I've read about that but the only options that appear for me is "Switch Person" and "Go Incognito."

Nyrad

I've read about that but the only options that appear for me is "Switch Person" and "Go Incognito."

Did you already create a supervised user? When you create it you have to click on the option to track the Users Data via your email adress/google login

3phemeral

Did you already create a supervised user? When you create it you have to click on the option to track the Users Data via your email adress/google login
Ah, that may be it. I created a supervised user but removed it after discovering I couldn't install apps (this is how I connect to my parents' PC, by linking their gmail account to my chrome and using Chrome Remote Desktop for unlimited access). I guess I'll make a supervised guest account to activate that lock feature. Thanks!

nataku

Anyone else getting constant crashes with the latest version of chrome? Version 42.0.2311.135 m.

It's not flash, the entire browser just crashes. I get that windows popup that says it's looking for a solution.

Weird. Chrome says "the administrator has deactivated updates" accompanied by an exclamation mark in a yellow box, in the "about chrome" section. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but I get the same thing. I'm using the version 43.0.2357.65 m (64-bit) on Windows 7.

Is it just for me ?

edit: well I fixed it by modifying some value in the registry, as detailed in this video. It's still weird though. I wonder if it could be the work of the bullshit spyware that I got from some emulator website last week.

Goldrusher

question / annoyance

(Windows 7 desktop)

Since a few weeks (months?) I've noticed that if your window size is below a certain width, many websites will then switch to the mobile version.
Is there any way to disable that nonsense?

Blue Lou

Has anyone noticed that the chrome://downloads/ page has two sets of links to where the file was downloaded from ? It used to be one link to the file on your hard drive and the url would be a link to redownload it. It's pretty annoying.

Coreda

Is there any way to change the blurred rendering behavior when scrolling? Whenever I scroll the page quickly the previously out of frame areas becomes slightly blurred, unlike Firefox.

Checked the :flags page but none of the options seemed to make a difference, but I may have missed one.

Draper

Is there any way to change the blurred rendering behavior when scrolling? Whenever I scroll the page quickly the previously out of frame areas becomes slightly blurred, unlike Firefox.

Checked the :flags page but none of the options seemed to make a difference, but I may have missed one.

Why does the page load in a white, blocky pattern when I scroll quickly. I was looking to switch to chrome from safari for the extensions, but that's just infuriating.

There's a reason they hide them and advise people not to use them. When they put something behind a flag like that, it's going away, it's already been decided, and there's nothing you can do about it. Might as well just get used to it from the beginning.
With people actually using that flag though, as they point out in the issue, there was the hope they'd acknowledge that as more than an annoyance and add in official suport for hiding the label. Best I've managed is rename myself to 1 character.

With people actually using that flag though, as they point out in the issue, there was the hope they'd acknowledge that as more than an annoyance and add in official suport for hiding the label. Best I've managed is rename myself to 1 character.

Once something like this goes behind a flag, it's done for. Chrome almost never adds options, it's fundamental to their philosophy.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The best I've been able to do is use Chrome as a guest, but doing that I can't customize how I want cookies to function.

I was really irritated when I logged in to Gmail today and saw a message telling me that Chrome had been linked to my Gmail account because I logged in while using it. I never wanted any of the other Google services attached to my Gmail account, it never made much difference though, because the only other one I ever used was YouTube. I just made a new account for that at the time.

The idea that now, if I use someone else's computer to check my email, I'll have to unlink my Gmail account from Chrome is irksome. I'm looking at Vivaldi to replace Chrome, but it has issues with cookies too.

Top Bottom