• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll buy the new Nexus 7 for my mom, will need to see what they do in terms of phones. The X Phone looks like it might disappoint, and the battery already wasn't the great with the Nexus 4, I can see LTE making it a lot worse. I'm tempted to buy an S4 and slap CM 10.1 on it if nothing interests me.
Nexus 5 y u sofar. 5 more months.

survivor

Banned
First time I will be watching the I/O event while having an Android phone. Gonna keep an eye for the Android OS updates, and whatever Chrome/Web sessions there are. Paul Irish is doing bunch of them, can't wait.

Dear Google, why doesn't a Google Weather app exist when this shows up when I search "weather" in your search engine:

jqHc5fzy1dHwQ.png

Hurry up and make this an app/widget, kthx.

If I've been living under a rock and this is already a thing, please inform me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dear Google, why doesn't a Google Weather app exist when this shows up when I search "weather" in your search engine:

jqHc5fzy1dHwQ.png

rFfsuIy.png

?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I wonder if they're going to talk about Ingress at all. I've been geocaching like a maniac as soon as I got accepted.

That thing is so evilly brilliant.

Rengoku

Great job OP! It'll be my first time going to I/O this year, pretty excited!

Did some research and found a pretty good list of other events happening outside of Google I/O.
Link here: Google I/O Timeframe Events

Also, found some useful tips posted by various folks on the official Google+ page.

How to survive Google I/O

• Use the 5GHz WiFi for better stability, WiFi is unlikely to be very stable or available.
  • Alternatively buy a 25$ AT&T prepaid card to use your phone instead of the WiFi. Tmobile has a $3/day plan with 100mb daily data allowance.
  • There is a lot of interesting sessions and code labs, but don't forget to take some time to mingle around in the exhibition area
  • Check in early, Wednesday is normally frantic.
  • Queues for the keynote start real early, then in general they open escalators to first floor which then becomes totally jammed.
  • Eat a big breakfast at your hotel or elsewhere, the food has in general been meh..
  • Follow Google people like +Vic Gundotra last year they put out open invites for after hours meetups in local bars etc
  • Watch out for the side events from other companies and if they are giving away stuff be prepared to get there 5 hours before they open or you wont get anything.
  • Its a struggle to get round to see the Booths as the Sessions are normally too compelling
  • Google starts to shut the place down as early as Thursday night, so booths are likely gone on Friday
  • Take time to go to the chat sessions held by Googlers, you can get all sorts of info there.
  • Check back on the session info, sessions are sometimes thrown in at late notice
  • If they have an Ignite session its well worth going to.
  • If anything is given away, open it, make sure it works, lots of Google stuff is restricted to US play store, so download what you need there and then.
  • Google speakers may only be there for a few hours - don't expect to be able to bump into them the next day as they might be back at work a few hours after their talk.
  • First and second day breakfast room will be packed to the brim. And for some reason the lines to go to the upper floors for the Keynotes are gigantic, so be prepared to feel like human cattle.
  • The stage is huge and you can get really good view of it from pretty much anywhere.
  • Choose your sessions ahead of time and make sure you take into consideration which floor they are on. Additionally, attending Glass sessions will probably require you to skip the session slot before so you can get in line since they DO cap rooms and won't let you in after certain number of people standing.
  • At the conference they have constant snacks and drinks in the main halls as well as sitting space which is great to relax, check your email, etc.
  • I'm not a big fan of their lunch catering, at least not io11 or io12. So, you might want to bear in mind that right across the street there is a pretty nice food court with more variety and quality.
  • Wait until the second-to-last session slot of the day to pick your swag bag. People tend to get a bit crazy and swamp the swag kiosk and lines can be annoyingly long. Late afternoon, you can pretty much walk and get your stuff w/o lines.
  • Pick out the sessions you really wan to go to and the there early. Like 15 minutes early. A lot of them fill up fast. Also have a backup session in a time slot so when you don't get into something you can go straight to the next thing.
  • ABC. Always Be Charging. In pretty much every non-keynote room, there are power strips every other row.
  • Prepare for those seats to hurt your behind... they've had the same exact seats since 2008.

Nakazato

Just want dat nexus 7.7 but I have made a decision to go nexus 5 this year want to move away from non google product ala gs3

Edit: is that apk out for google play game out for the public?

Hylian7

My parents want to get me a tablet for graduation. I suggested a Nexus 10, but told them they should wait til after this to see if they announce a refresh.

http://i.imgur.com/rFfsuIy.png[/IMG

?[/QUOTE]

[quote="Cipherr, post: 57451658"]Tap on it and it does the weather search:

Oh.... and fuck the knicks.[/QUOTE]

Whereeeeeeeee is this shit?!

I'm on 4.0.4 / GSII if that matters. Am I seriously blind or is this not on the Play Store? Oh...it's tied to the Google Search isn't it...

Edit: Yeah, that seems to be Google Now which requires 4.1+ it seems.

Edit 2: Apparently 4.1 wasn't pushed OTA, you have to download and install it manually for some idiotic reason. Doing so now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Did some research and found a pretty good list of other events happening outside of Google I/O.

Also, found some useful tips posted by various folks on the official Google+ page.

• Use the 5GHz WiFi for better stability, WiFi is unlikely to be very stable or available.
  • Alternatively buy a 25$ AT&T prepaid card to use your phone instead of the WiFi. Tmobile has a $3/day plan with 100mb daily data allowance.
  • There is a lot of interesting sessions and code labs, but don't forget to take some time to mingle around in the exhibition area
  • Queues for the keynote start real early, then in general they open escalators to first floor which then becomes totally jammed.
  • Eat a big breakfast at your hotel or elsewhere, the food has in general been meh..
  • Follow Google people like +Vic Gundotra last year they put out open invites for after hours meetups in local bars etc
  • Watch out for the side events from other companies and if they are giving away stuff be prepared to get there 5 hours before they open or you wont get anything.
  • Its a struggle to get round to see the Booths as the Sessions are normally too compelling
  • Google starts to shut the place down as early as Thursday night, so booths are likely gone on Friday
  • Take time to go to the chat sessions held by Googlers, you can get all sorts of info there.
  • Check back on the session info, sessions are sometimes thrown in at late notice
  • If anything is given away, open it, make sure it works, lots of Google stuff is restricted to US play store, so download what you need there and then.
  • Google speakers may only be there for a few hours - don't expect to be able to bump into them the next day as they might be back at work a few hours after their talk.
  • First and second day breakfast room will be packed to the brim. And for some reason the lines to go to the upper floors for the Keynotes are gigantic, so be prepared to feel like human cattle.
  • The stage is huge and you can get really good view of it from pretty much anywhere.
  • Choose your sessions ahead of time and make sure you take into consideration which floor they are on. Additionally, attending Glass sessions will probably require you to skip the session slot before so you can get in line since they DO cap rooms and won't let you in after certain number of people standing.
  • At the conference they have constant snacks and drinks in the main halls as well as sitting space which is great to relax, check your email, etc.
  • I'm not a big fan of their lunch catering, at least not io11 or io12. So, you might want to bear in mind that right across the street there is a pretty nice food court with more variety and quality.
  • Wait until the second-to-last session slot of the day to pick your swag bag. People tend to get a bit crazy and swamp the swag kiosk and lines can be annoyingly long. Late afternoon, you can pretty much walk and get your stuff w/o lines.
  • Pick out the sessions you really wan to go to and the there early. Like 15 minutes early. A lot of them fill up fast. Also have a backup session in a time slot so when you don't get into something you can go straight to the next thing.
  • ABC. Always Be Charging. In pretty much every non-keynote room, there are power strips every other row.
  • Prepare for those seats to hurt your behind... they've had the same exact seats since 2008.

Fricking sweet! Thanks for the tips, I'll be there too. :) First year as well.

Vyer

Need to dump my Nexus 7 in anticipation for the new one.

In the past I've been vocal about how dropping $400+ dollars on a tablet is stupid when there are laptops which are much more capable and still very portable..

Then the HP Touchpad file sale came and I bought one. So far it's been actually running very well with 4.1.2 and there are already several working 4.2.2 roms for it.

For the first time, I may consider actually spending more money for a good tablet. I'm not going to be going up to $500, but I won't mind doing like $200-$250ish. The reason is because the touchpad was extremely convenient for pick up use at home, especially streaming HBO go or videos from my laptop and for quick web browsing. If the next Nexus is going to be having a quad core qualcomm inside, then I know what to expect and I'll like it. I could see the jagged sub pixel matrix on the GNexus and the pixels on my touchpad. I don't want to be able to see any of that on the next Nexus 7 so if it does have a 1080p screen, that would be awesome. It would be awesome if they carried a 32 and 64 GB version with USB OTG support. If this refresh looked good and had everything I wanted then my HTC One would probably barely get any use at home.

So basically, you hated on tablets until you used one? ;)

Any Nexus rumors for Verizon?

I'm getting kind of annoyed that my family moved to Verizon almost two years ago and now I can't get an HTC One or Nexus on Verizon -____-

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Any Nexus rumors for Verizon?

I'm getting kind of annoyed that my family moved to Verizon almost two years ago and now I can't get an HTC One or Nexus on Verizon -____-

Nexus isn't a Nexus on Verizon.

At this juncture the only viable phone on Verizon is the GS4 unless you want to get a last year model phone on the cheap cheap low like the GS3/Note2/Droid DNA. Outside of that I'd say if you can stomach the size just wait and get the Note 3 when that drops.

Nexus isn't a Nexus on Verizon.

At this juncture the only viable phone on Verizon is the GS4 unless you want to get a last year model phone on the cheap cheap low like the GS3/Note2/Droid DNA. Outside of that I'd say if you can stomach the size just wait and get the Note 3 when that drops.

Well when we jumped on Verizon, they had the Galaxy Nexus...

Stock or nothing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Samsung Chromebook refresh rumor added to OP.

It's weird watching I/O from the other side of things. Have fun everyone and get hyped.

Does Google let non-speakers out of the code dungeons for I/O?
;)

Groof

Damn, good job on the OP!

Need me some of that Nexus 7 lovin'. Just hoping that it doesn't take a year for it to get released here again like last time...

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I'll be there live. 3rd year in a roll :) Can't wait!
Last year's keynote was INSANE (specifically the Google Glass skydive). Will be hard to top.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My main wants are a universal messaging system. And, hmm, mainly that. The games thing is awesome but until there are better mobile games, meh. Cloud saving is awesome and I can't believe it took this long.

Groof

My main wants are a universal messaging system. And, hmm, mainly that. The games thing is awesome but until there are better mobile games, meh. Cloud saving is awesome and I can't believe it took this long.

Agreed. But most of all I hope it makes big enough of a splash to make people switch, which I doubt however. I think a lot of people have already found their messaging service of choice and won't switch unless they have a real incentive to...

Tworak

excite!

totally fetching a refreshed nexus 7, and I'm still curious about google music after all these years.

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm waiting on news for the next nexus. My galaxy took a crap last week and I'll most likely replace it with whatever they come out with. Luckily I still had a week left on my 12 month warranty and Samsung is fixing it now. Your death timer was a week early Samsung!

TehOh

Good list. I'm so excited, this is my first year attending too. Need to finish deciding on the second I want to see.

I do really want to see the Glass stuff, but it'll be nuts.

Matugi

Babel better get SMS integration. I want group messaging

Also how much do you guys think the new Nexus 7 will be and how much of an upgrade would it be? I'm looking to get into personal training in college and I'm considering get a Nexus 7 after the price drops because it would be really good for organizing clients and stuff not to mention other apps like Dish Online.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to Babel and hoping for SMS integration. Would be nice to stop using the default Samsung SMS app. Never liked GOSMS either.

derder

jqHc5fzy1dHwQ.png

aix-weather_crop-580-75.jpg

AIX Weather widget

reKon

Banned
Need to dump my Nexus 7 in anticipation for the new one.

So basically, you hated on tablets until you used one? ;)

Well I didn't make thisI clear enough in my post, but no. I still believe spending 500 dollars on tablets is fucking stupid because you're basically paying for convenience. After owning a touchpad for this time I understand how nice this convenience was for quick browsing and streaming video from YouTube and from my computer. I would do stuff like use the dice player to use the pop up video feature browsing GAF and using facebook messenger.

I will admit that now, tablets safe and will be worth it compared to the past because they do much more powerful and we've seen many with better screens and battery life compared to laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom