• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I really really really need to see what Moto and Google are working on for the Moto X.

Please goog feed me...

I want to see how they compete with iMessage & BBM, but I really don't want it to hook into the G+ system. No one I know will use it if that's the case :/

Couldn't care less about their gaming initiatives.

I'm usually super excited for IO every year, but for the first time, I'm expecting to be wholly underwhelmed. Babel sounds interesting, but no SMS makes it a nonstarter for me. I'm not interested in a Nexus 4 or 7 refresh, and a new version of Jelly Bean, which will likely just add Babel and fix bugs, is also i exciting. Where's KLP? Hopefully, they will, at least, talk about it, even if it's still months out.

rumor says it's not being tested so I wouldn't get my hopes up, but on the other hand it would be a little bit weird to launch this without it.

Yeah, I figured they were working on a competitor to iMessage that also leveraged G+, Chrome support, etc.

They could easily outdo Apple on this with SMS support, so it'd be really weird if they didn't have it.

I actually figured that with this transition, G+ would become the heart of your phone contacts list, given the benefits already in place for saving people as Google contacts as opposed to phone contacts. That could make way for future devices that are data-only, with no traditional phone support, instead using only Voice, Hangouts, and Talk/Messenger/etc. for communication.

We'll see how it plays out soon, I guess.

kind of off topic but i really enjoy all these illustrations that google has been using the last year or so. like the one on the OP and that shows on google now. gorgeous stuff.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The 10 minute footnote for Android at the end of the 2009 keynote seems so quaint now.

BKGxfOBCQAAaA8u.png:large

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I feel like the biggest jackass in the world. The hotel I booked for I/O is apparently in... England.

I knew that rate was too good. Damn you Jet Blue hotel finder thing!

And yes, I double checked on Google Maps before buying to see how far from SFO it was. Something got messed up along the way. Bad address data? Dunno. Wouldn't be a memorable trip if something didn't go wrong.

Should be all sorted now, have to call tomorrow to cancel but I don't even know if I'll get that money back. Oh well. New hotel is just a Travelodge but it'll do considering the short notice.

I feel like the biggest jackass in the world. The hotel I booked for I/O is apparently in... England.

And yes, I double checked on Google Maps before buying to see how far from SFO it was. Something got messed up along the way. Bad address data? Dunno. Wouldn't be a memorable trip if something didn't go wrong.

Should be all sorted now, have to call tomorrow to cancel but I don't even know if I'll get that money back. Oh well. New hotel is just a Travelodge but it'll do considering the short notice.

Hahah! That's funnier than the new Arrested Development season trailer! Hope you get it all sorted out :)

Personally, I'm keen to hear about the Playground, Babel, new LTE/32GB N4, new N10 and hopefully N8!

celebi23

Damn, sorry man. Hopefully everything gets sorted out.

Mindwipe

Dear Google: First order of business, say you're very sorry for breaking the bluetooth stack so badly and here's a fixed version.

Groof

Good thing you noticed it in time, could've been real awkward otherwise!

giga

Regarding I/O, Google's annual developer conference, Pichai says this year's event won't be as consumer-focused as previous years'. He warned not to expect "much in the way of launches of new products or a new operating system," saying that "we’re going to focus this I/O on all of the kinds of things we’re doing for developers." That's not to say there won't be any new Google-branded hardware on show, but Pichai reiterated that "any hardware projects we do will be to push the ecosystem forward" — a "continuation of what we have tried to do with Nexus and Chromebooks." The full interview is available at Wired.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/5/13/4325992/sundar-pichai-google-android-chrome-head-interview

Bring back Andy.

JordanKZ

Apart from the new Nexus 7, I'm most looking forward to seeing what/how Google update their core apps. Maps, all the Play apps, Google Search/Now etc.

Blackhead

Redarse
Regarding I/O, Google's annual developer conference, Pichai says this year's event won't be as consumer-focused as previous years'. He warned not to expect "much in the way of launches of new products or a new operating system," saying that "we’re going to focus this I/O on all of the kinds of things we’re doing for developers." That's not to say there won't be any new Google-branded hardware on show, but Pichai reiterated that "any hardware projects we do will be to push the ecosystem forward" — a "continuation of what we have tried to do with Nexus and Chromebooks." The full interview is available at Wired.
http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/5/13/4325992/sundar-pichai-google-android-chrome-head-interview

Bring back Andy.

New Android Boss Finally Reveals Plans for World’s Most Popular Mobile OS

Wired said:
Here’s my Samsung Galaxy S4. [Pichai holds up the phone.]

SimleuqiR

Mindwipe

I haven't had a single problem after the fixes in 4.2.2

If only the rest of us were so lucky. Lots are still having audio dropouts, and many of us (me included) find their keyboard refuses to reconnect after the tablet goes to sleep until you delete it and repair it from scratch. Every. Single. Time.

I’d love to see Google release their own equivalent of Airplay

So we can stream music wirelessly through devices without using Bluetooth speakers etc.

Would be cool if any newly announced devices get released this month and not have to wait months down the road. I want a new nexus 7 w/ full HD already!

Blackhead

Redarse
My main wants are a universal messaging system. And, hmm, mainly that. The games thing is awesome but until there are better mobile games, meh. Cloud saving is awesome and I can't believe it took this long.

This being said, from this year's I/O all I want is Babel, 4.3, to see how the Playground (gamecenter) is implemented, and hope for a new Nexus 7 refresh.

My main wants:
  • Fixing the freaking browser: Chrome's UI sucks, it's very buggy (crashes the OS, keyboards don't work properly in text fields), third party developers can't use the chrome engine for their in-app browsers etc. I can't use the Nex 4, 7 & 10 because there's no good browsing solution (Firefox and Opera's browsers are also piss poor).
  • Sort out the software navigation buttons: Aside from keyboard dismiss and a shortcut for Google Now, there's been no evolution of the software navigation. It's pointless on the big tablets.
  • Unified messaging: Enough said, no more excuses.
  • Intents/'Open With'/Multitasking/Back button: Android's freedom to switch default apps is limited by the the inability to temporarily follow an intent with a different app from the default. Sometimes you'll want to open a link in the youtube app and other times you'll want it in the browser. Occasionally you'll want to work on the same file with multiple apps. The Share feature is not a substitute for 'Open With...' Then there's the remaining niggles with the intents/multitasking view/back button. Fix it.
  • File Manager: Hierarchical file managers aren't user friendly enough for the average person. The UI revolution launched the iPhone and Android hasn't reached this area. This is what you pay the UX designers, let them solve this problem. (Hint: Google Drive is not the answer)
Extra wants: fix bluetooth issues before Google Glass and/or Google watch is released else I'll be using those products with an iPhone. Also get around to multi-window multitasking sometime soon.

gcubed

If only the rest of us were so lucky. Lots are still having audio dropouts, and many of us (me included) find their keyboard refuses to reconnect after the tablet goes to sleep until you delete it and repair it from scratch. Every. Single. Time.

that sucks, i mainly use it for audio and headset capability and it was fixed with 4.2.2, i didn't know there were still many problems. They did fuck up the stack, hopefully they continue to fix it

Cipherr

I wouldn't mind if they moved all the consumer faced stuff (Android updates, all the new hardware launches etc) to the fall conference and made I/O strictly a developer focused thing (wasn't this its intention anyway?). But there will be maaaaaaaaaajor gnashing of teeth when/if they make that switch the first time.

I wouldn't mind if they moved all the consumer faced stuff (Android updates, all the new hardware launches etc) to the fall conference and made I/O strictly a developer focused thing (wasn't this its intention anyway?). But there will be maaaaaaaaaajor gnashing of teeth when/if they make that switch the first time.

Android update announcements have to be much more developer-focused than consumer-focused, given that that's where they debut new APIs.

Personally, I'm hoping for Babel to happen (and for it to be folded into the iOS Google+ app instead of getting a dedicated new app on iOS) and be fully and seamlessly integrated with phone numbers like iMessage, for Android 4.3 to debut something as interesting/clever/useful as Google Now is, and for the Nexus line going forward to be moved fully in-house to Motorola only (even if OEMs complain about it, Google needs more control over the Nexus hardware to make better products).

SimleuqiR

I think OS updates (KLP) should go hand to hand with new hardware release. Do it once a year. So October or November for the Nexus 5 & KLP.

SimleuqiR

KLP/A5 is long overdue, we've been on android 4 since 2011.

Eh, I'm talking about OS updates not # increments per say. I mean who's to say KLP isn't still under 4.xxx?

4.2.x Jelly Bean November 13, 2012 17 API
4.1.x Jelly Bean July 9, 2012 16 API
4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich December 16, 2011 15 API

4.5 Could be KLP.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I feel like we're going to see Quickoffice merge with Drive this I/O.

Which, would be a huge boon for me - I use docs almost exclusively, but it's lacking when compared to Office - especially when it comes to excel.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

Didn't know that was a thing - seems like it suffers the same problems as docs as is, right now.

This techcrunch article seems to be thinking the same thing as me though

Quickoffice, however, is coming to the web. When Google introduced the Pixel Chromebook in February, it also dropped a hint that it was porting Quickoffice to Chrome, using its own Native Client technology. At the time, Google’s Sundar Pichai said that many people love Google’s productivity apps, but in the business world, Microsoft Office is still the de facto default. Having Quickoffice available for Chrome and on Chromebooks, he said, “completes the story for a lot of users.” During the February event, Google said that it would take about three months to launch the browser-based version of Quickoffice with full editing capabilities – and that puts the launch date almost exactly in line with next week’s I/O.

Polari

I don't really understand what porting Quickoffice to NaCl offers over improving compatibility and implementing native editing in Docs. Any ideas? Maybe it's just a temporary measure, with it being tricky to retrofit Docs to allow native editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom