• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

Does this rumor go back to the multiple Nexus "phones" from different OEMs talks a year ago?

If Google can get their online retail store to keep up with demand, and actually not fuck up orders, I wouldn't mind seeing Vanilla versions of all the big smartphones (S4, HTC ONE, etc) being sold through Google.

Ha! It's the rumor that never dies.

Perhaps a GS4 with AOSP is Google's stop-gap solution to the Nexus 5.

I for one wish that Google had something ready to compete against the One/Z/S4. Something ZL sized with a bigger battery would be lovely.

What's the difference? If Google buys their phones just like any other carrier would?

Why wouldn't Samsung sell the S4 to Google at the same cost they do to AT&T?

It's most likely Google the one not making any margins on the phone, going by the cost of the Nexus 4.

I see what you are saying. I really can't speak to their strategies, but I was under the impression that they had their own Android overlay for brand differentiation. For example, Samsung loves to show off their Touchwiz-exclusive features.

kaskade

I gotta say I'm pretty excited for it this year. Probably because I have an android phone now but I feel like there's a bunch of cool stuff rumored to be announced.

SimleuqiR

I see what you are saying. I really can't speak to their strategies, but I was under the impression that they had their own Android overlay for brand differentiation. For example, Samsung loves to show off their Touchwiz-exclusive features.

I get that, but it's not like Google goes out of their way to promote the Nexus devices. At least not in the scale Samsung does. So this would just be a Galaxy S4 with Google, only available through the Google Play store (which is not even open for business in many countries).

Blackhead

Redarse
A certain apple veteran named Scott is now working as the real lead for android, not sundar. Bright future ahead for google.

New Google Play Store
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05/14/download-latest-google-play-store-4-1-6/

Probably has the hooks for the Playground (gamecenter).

hmm... while everybody has been getting hyped by the media leaks for the iveOS 7, Google might just deliver as significant an update to Android's look today.

TwIsTeD

Hoping for some cool stuff for ChromeOS (my Pixel is begging for more attention)

an LTE Nexus anything would be nice....but a partnership with HTC &/or Samsung to do "Google Edition" devices would be fantastic....but a long shot haha

I want a Nexus phone of HTC One-quality. Aluminum casing and everything.

That would be nice but I wouldn't expect any new phones during I/O. That has always been later in the year. New tablets most likely though

EDIT: just saw the s4 google edition thing...wow that would be cool...would buy that.

eznark

Banned
BKT85zeCMAAX3Cj.jpg:small

Mario007

I know it won't happen this year, but the inevitable Anroid 5.0 better have that card UI as a standard. That thing is beautiful.

Since we already know almost everything I assume I'm just hoping that the Hangouts thing launches today on all platforms rather than some lame staggered beta release crap.

BFIB

I'm pretty pumped for the announcements today.

Love my Nexus 10, can't wait to hear about the new software.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Since we already know almost everything I assume I'm just hoping that the Hangouts thing launches today on all platforms rather than some lame staggered beta release crap.

I'm hoping for one or two surprises. Maybe if we're lucky, we'll see their next ProjectX.

JordanKZ

Posted this on the G+ droidGAF community, but this is what I'd expect for today:

- Android 4.3
- New Nexus 7
- Some kind of phone unveil, either the Moto X Phone (as it just went through the FCC) or something to do with the S4.
- White Nexus 4
- Play Music subscriptions
- Hangouts (unified Google Chat)
- Google Play Games
- Cloud syncing of apps
- New Google Maps
- Probably a metric fuck tonne of app updates.

At the very least, Google Play Games will go live today. A couple of games have already sent out updates with achievement support.

Posted this on the G+ droidGAF community, but this is what I'd expect for today:

- Android 4.3
- New Nexus 7
- Some kind of phone unveil, either the Moto X Phone (as it just went through the FCC) or something to do with the S4.
- White Nexus 4
- Play Music subscriptions
- Hangouts (unified Google Chat)
- Google Play Games
- Cloud syncing of apps
- New Google Maps
- Probably a metric fuck tonne of app updates.

At the very least, Google Play Games will go live today. A couple of games have already sent out updates with achievement support.
there's still chrome OS, some google glass crap I'm sure. Maybe something google TV related.

I really hope they do a preview of some kind for 5.0. If it was recently delayed then they must have some of it done, just a glimpse into what it could include would be nice. Would make the wait for October easier.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I think this will be the first I/O where I will be seriously interested in the developer focused news. Considering this is supposed to be a 'developer focused' I/O, sounds good to me.

edit: Hmm, think I'll be able to stream this through my PS3's youtube app?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom