• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

giga, from the I/O 2010 thread:

HE KNEW

What else aren't you telling us giga!
LLShC.gif
A certain apple veteran named Scott is now working as the real lead for android, not sundar. Bright future ahead for google.

AndyD

aka andydumi
My main wants:
  • Fixing the freaking browser: Chrome's UI sucks, it's very buggy (crashes the OS, keyboards don't work properly in text fields), third party developers can't use the chrome engine for their in-app browsers etc. I can't use the Nex 4, 7 & 10 because there's no good browsing solution (Firefox and Opera's browsers are also piss poor).
  • Sort out the software navigation buttons: Aside from keyboard dismiss and a shortcut for Google Now, there's been no evolution of the software navigation. It's pointless on the big tablets.
  • Unified messaging: Enough said, no more excuses.
  • Intents/'Open With'/Multitasking/Back button: Android's freedom to switch default apps is limited by the the inability to temporarily follow an intent with a different app from the default. Sometimes you'll want to open a link in the youtube app and other times you'll want it in the browser. Occasionally you'll want to work on the same file with multiple apps. The Share feature is not a substitute for 'Open With...' Then there's the remaining niggles with the intents/multitasking view/back button. Fix it.
  • File Manager: Hierarchical file managers aren't user friendly enough for the average person. The UI revolution launched the iPhone and Android hasn't reached this area. This is what you pay the UX designers, let them solve this problem. (Hint: Google Drive is not the answer)
Extra wants: fix bluetooth issues before Google Glass and/or Google watch is released else I'll be using those products with an iPhone. Also get around to multi-window multitasking sometime soon.

I like all those and I will add my own:
- Maps - add basic voice commands like show traffic and reroute and search for POI en route (Waze style).
- Maps - add lane guidance.
- SMS - add a message popup preview window (I hope babel unifies everything and does this as well).
- Intents/Share - allow us to customize the lists better.
- build in a wipe/locate feature for lost phones.
- Music - add voice commands for car mode.
- Car Home - fix its compatibility.
- Play Store - allow us to buy many items at once (cart/checkout).
- I want the Google Card for Wallet.
- Improve Google Drive/+/Gmail integration.

KorrZ

So over/under on them actually unveiling a new major Android release? (Key Lime Pie). I have a Nexus 4, but I'm really curious to see Motorola's crazy phone.

Matugi

My hopes are a significant upgrade for the Nexus 7 that convinces me to spend the extra $100, something about the XFON and Verizon, and Google Babel getting SMS integration.

Zapages

any chance of Nexus 5 (16GB with micro sd card)or Xphone... I am holding till tomorrow to wait or buy the Galaxy S4.

Although I do want the next phone to have stereo speakers...

kharma45

any chance of Nexus 5 (16GB with micro sd card)or Xphone... I am holding till tomorrow to wait or buy the Galaxy S4.

Although I do want the next phone to have stereo speakers...

Doubt there'll be a new Nexus this soon, and if there was there'll be no card slot.

Cipherr

A certain apple veteran named Scott is now working as the real lead for android, not sundar. Bright future ahead for google.

Eww god. Don't even joke like that. We will end up with a GAF -> Internet -> GAF situation and everyone will be going crazy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Keynote is 8 hours from the time of this post.

Just checked into my hotel, time to get some shut eye. :)

Mario007

But, ehm, wasn't he shit at Apple? Wasn't he one of the reasons why the iOS failed to evolve over the years?

Someone in my office said there is a stock Android GS4 being announced today. :O

Would be amazing. All that power coupled with stock would be amazing.

Zaph

So hyped.

Google is one of the few consumer tech businesses I find really inspiring. Even if they don't always stick the landing, they dream so big (Streetview, Glass, self-driving car etc) you cannot help but admire them.

cdkee

Banned
I don't know if it's possible, but if they released an LTE Nexus 4 that works with Verizon:

1777915-1520931_take_my_money_super.jpg

..this GNex is feeling a bit dated...

Someone in my office said there is a stock Android GS4 being announced today. :O

Would be amazing. All that power coupled with stock would be amazing.

Hmmmm, remove the buttons and do something about that awful 'hyperglaze' back plate and I'm interested.

Although they'll probably do an HTC and label it 'Developer Edition' and charge an extra £100 over the normal version. :-

snacknuts

we all knew her
I just realized that I'm going to miss out on the keynote today because I have to go schmooze at the track (IMS) for a work thing. =[

Does this rumor go back to the multiple Nexus "phones" from different OEMs talks a year ago?

If Google can get their online retail store to keep up with demand, and actually not fuck up orders, I wouldn't mind seeing Vanilla versions of all the big smartphones (S4, HTC ONE, etc) being sold through Google.

What would be incentive for the handset makers? We geeks wanting Vanilla Android can't be a huge slice of the market, can we?

SimleuqiR

What would be incentive for the handset makers? We geeks wanting Vanilla Android can't be a huge slice of the market, can we?

What's the difference? If Google buys their phones just like any other carrier would?

Why wouldn't Samsung sell the S4 to Google at the same cost they do to AT&T?

It's most likely Google the one not making any margins on the phone, going by the cost of the Nexus 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom