• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2017 |OT| O What could it be?

nullset2

This might be the worst Google conference of all time.

It's terrible, and yes I get that it's a dev conference.

Nah it was also terrible as a Dev conference.

Their last 3 or so Google IOs have been boring IMO. Kotlin is the only good thing to come out of this.

Vuze

Lots of other companies are working on significantly better AR/MR headsets than glass - they've even invested hundreds of millions into one.
Which ones if you don't mind listing them? (I vaguely remember hearing about one a long while ago but forgot the name). I know Apple is suppossedly working on one but there's not really anything about it yet.

Also yah, idk. Main takeaway was that they are feeding even more of your personal data and life to their network lol. "Now we not only know that you're at a certain shop but also exactly where in the building thanks to our new VPS technology!"

louiedog

My Nexus Player became practically unusable on the first N beta so I'm sitting this out for now. I don't think there's any important TV stuff anyway.

Can't watch atm, did they announce anything I can purchase? I was kinda hoping for a new Android TV box thing since the Nexus Player is 100 years old.

SPDIF

Could you name them, please?

Which ones if you don't mind listing them? (I vaguely remember hearing about one a long while ago but forgot the name). I know Apple is suppossedly working on one but there's not really anything about it yet.

Magic Leap, Avegant, Snapchat, Meta, and a few more I can't remember off the top of my head.

You're kind of forgetting the biggest one: Microsoft, with HoloLens. Magic Leap was the one that Google invested into, although the last time we had any major update about them, it wasn't exactly good news

rc213

Can't watch atm, did they announce anything I can purchase? I was kinda hoping for a new Android TV box thing since the Nexus Player is 100 years old.

Mi Box or Shield?
I thought the Mi Box looked like a good replacement for the Android puck.

Almost done installing Android O beta 919mb on my Pixel XL.

reggie186

I'm not. That's the point. :p No one does, because they have no idea what they're doing.

I was an iPhone user before I got the Pixel. I was hoping Google would have an iMessage competitor by now, but I guess they aren't interesting in that.

I convinced most of the people I text with to download Allo. It has some fun, baked-in features like typing @lucky to generate gifs and @yesno to generate a poll.

A shame that it doesn't allow SMS too.

louiedog

Shield is more than I'd like to spend. Mi Box looks good, I guess I'll get that. It's kinda surprising Google doesn't have their own device anymore.

Just make sure you get the Android TV US version and not the ones that are just running phone/tablet Android with a different skin that are similar to the other Android piracy boxes. Xiaomi made two different boxes with the same name so it can get messy when buying online.

Just make sure you get the Android TV US version and not the ones that are just running phone/tablet Android with a different skin that are similar to the other Android piracy boxes. Xiaomi made two different boxes with the same name so it can get messy when buying online.

This is one reason I avoided them for awhile, their whole setup seems kinda sketchy and I wasn't sure if they were even legit devices. Now that I'm actually in the market for one I'll do some more research. Thanks!

New notification changes and emoji are awful in Android O.

Jeez. What an awful year for Android.

WTF are you kidding me google?

This shit is straight garbage:
nexus2cee_android-o-beta-heart-eyes-emojipedia_thumb.jpg

Done with Android.

Sigma722

Not a fan of o so far. Haven't gotten a chance to check out the smart select stuff or whatever yet, or much features, but on stock 7.2.2, if I slid down my notifications and clicked the battery it would tell me where I was at and how much time I had left.

Now when I slide down notifications my batteries % shows next to the battery, but doesn't really give an estimate of time left. To see the estimate I have to actually go into settings. Further, it thinks I have a 1.5 hours left with 58% charge left on my pixel XL. Most likely that will get figured out better soon, since it was processing a lot for the upgrade, but thought it would have a better idea by now, since it's probably been a solid half hour since I upgraded.

edit: okay it finally jumped back up to 14 hours, ha.

jstripes

Banned
I should've known this was coming. Everything was going downhill as soon as they got rid of humping ghost, but I didn't think it'd be this bad. Damn. Might as well just get an S8.

It's about inter-platform consistency. The different shape of the Android emoji have the potential to communicate slightly different emotions, and that's enough to start drama if interpreted wrong.

Randdalf

Done with Android.

Man this really sucks. I mean, I know they're just emojis, but they're a big part of how I communicate on my phone and the blob-based emojis have a lot of character and charm. Although apparently you'll be able to use the old ones still, somehow?

Done with Android.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I came to love the Google emojis. I loved how basic they were, and were representative of something and not overdone.

I'm sure I can just choose my own emoji pack and keep the old ones but... darnn.

Mindwipe

I found it impossible to tell the blobs apart and that the meaning tended to be inconsistent between Android and Samsung/iOS, so I'm kinda happy to see the new ones tbh.

Top Bottom