• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2017 |OT| O What could it be?

reKon

Banned
haven't watch a thing, but someone please tell me if they are trying to make this project volta reborn so I can laugh at Google

Weckum

I have no idea what this means but people sure like this Kotlin thing.
Development lead Andrey Breslav has said that Kotlin is designed to be an industrial-strength object-oriented language, and a "better language" than Java, but still be fully interoperable with Java code, allowing companies to make a gradual migration from Java to Kotlin

Basically saying 'screw you, Java', which is good.

Jokab

Previously Java was the only programming language for writing Android apps, and a lot of people kind of hate Java. Any other thing is good news

5taquitos

I'm at work and can't watch, can someone break down the Photos changes that were discussed earlier that had people worried about automatically sending pictures? I'm just not clear on what's being changed/added.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
It's a significantly better syntax for development on Android, a lot less nonsense. People have been using it a lot over the last year or so - and if you include rxKotlin, it's really changed the best practices of Android development

This means kotlin no longer needs to be transpiled to java first to create Android apps, which should be a huge performance boost, and eventually will allow a complete decoupling from java.

I've got a Pixel XL... wonder if I should sign up for the beta.

I'm at work and can't watch, can someone break down the Photos changes that were discussed earlier that had people worried about automatically sending pictures? I'm just not clear on what's being changed/added.

Not a lot of thrilling stuff, most of it is around sharing.

First, Google has a new AI algorithm with photos that utilizes a service (or app) called Lens. Lens will continue the smart integration of Photos. A lot of the lens integration looks very strong, like one photo of someone behind a fence smartly removed the fence from the photo.

Sharing has been improved and powered by AI recommendations for sharing photos with people. You can also setup specific people to automatically get all of the photos you take of particular people or things (like your dog, kids, etc).

Other things like intelligent location awareness seemed neat.

And then Google is making something called PhotoBook which is a physical product generated by Google photos and available to purchase for $10.

Most of the photos stuff was underwhelming compared to what they've done with photos in the past, mostly seems like dot release type stuff... But still good improvements. Just nothing like last year's announcement with unlimited high res storage, Google assistant, etc.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Not a lot of thrilling stuff, most of it is around sharing.

First, Google has a new AI algorithm with photos that utilizes a service (or app) called Lens. Lens will continue the smart integration of Photos. A lot of the lens integration looks very strong, like one photo of someone behind a fence smartly removed the fence from the photo.

Sharing has been improved and powered by AI recommendations for sharing photos with people. You can also setup specific people to automatically get all of the photos you take of particular people or things (like your dog, kids, etc).

Other things like intelligent location awareness seemed neat.

And then Google is making something called PhotoBook which is a physical product generated by Google photos and available to purchase for $10.

Most of the photos stuff was underwhelming compared to what they've done with photos in the past, mostly seems like dot release type stuff... But still good improvements. Just nothing like last year's announcement with unlimited high res storage, Google assistant, etc.

As far as I know, Lens isn't tied to the smart removal that you mention, it's mostly about AR object recognition, with annotation and actions.

kiguel182

You'll most likely be able to put LineageOS based on O on your first gen Moto G. That phone continues to be well supported for custom ROMs.

Really? I need to try it. I could use a device with O but I don't want to spend money lol if this runs well on low end devices it should be able to run it.

nullset2

Yeah, someone want to explain this?

A Java alternative that works with the same platform. It should be seamless to move stuff over to Kotlin. It's easier to program in, you end up writing less code, and it's more functionally-oriented than Java, which is nice.

This is not groundbreaking but definitely nice.

Kthulhu

A Java alternative that works with the same platform. It should be seamless to move stuff over to Kotlin. It's easier to program in, you end up writing less code, and it's more functionally-oriented than Java, which is nice.

This is not groundbreaking but definitely nice.

So apps are basically easier to develop?

Top Bottom