• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2017 |OT| O What could it be?

Rafy

I wonder how many husbands will now get caught having pictures of their mistress, by automatically sharing them with their wives by mistake

Skinpop

So while a lot of this proactive stuff is interesting technically, they need to do the user research and find out that nobody actually wants or uses it. You're trying to take the humanity out of human things but you're too absorbed to see it. I share things because I want to interact with people, not have Google do it.

yeah. exactly my thought, watching this is depressing.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
I hate all the Google Home and "suggestions" stuff – it creeps me the hell out – but Shared Library is a pretty cool feature.

So while a lot of this proactive stuff is interesting technically, they need to do the user research and find out that nobody actually wants or uses it. You're trying to take the humanity out of human things but you're too absorbed to see it. I share things because I want to interact with people, not have Google do it.

That's a good point.

I do think that a lot of the features that Google introduces into one app are instances of trying to push that feature for more apps later. For instance, when Allo came out last year, nobody wanted another chat app that duplicates a lot of features from other chat apps that Google releases. But, Allo ended up being the beta program for Google Assistant, which 6 months later was released as the backbone of the Pixel and Google's future products (home, etc).

They'll debut a lot of features in one app, only to use that app as a testing ground for them implementing them in different ways across other apps.

kaskade

I am always trying to convince everyone to download it. It's a must have app and it should be included on every smartphone.

I really don't know why it took me until a minute ago to replace the default iOS photos app on my homescreen with good photos. It's so much better. Just being able to type me on the beach and it brings up all beach photos of me is awesome. I remember when I was trying to remember when I bought something and I just typed what it was in and it found it for me instead of digging all the way back.

Like how people wish you Happy Birthday because Facebook reminds them and not because they actually remembered your birthday?

Skinpop

I would appreciate something painstakingly crafted and edited by hand so much more than a 30 sec tap and order book. this is disgusting.

Google Photos is already awesome, and so these features are nice but aren't major changers like the stuff from last year.

The Lens stuff is probably going to be the biggest change for me. I've been using Google Photos for receipts and important stuff, and then I individually categorize them... but I'd like to not have to do that.

Top Bottom