• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Trends: Stadia doing worse than the Wii during Cyber Monday. Bomba?

Javthusiast

Banned
Phil Harrison to his google higher ups: What, oh no you heard that wrong, I didn't fumble 2 console launches before, nah, stadia isn't the third strik...

tumblr_inline_o5uutnA2KB1t1g6cn_500.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
To be fair, once in a blue moon, a company provides something we never knew we wanted. >.>

100% agree. I give Steve Jobs a million points of credit for figuring that out with numerous Apple products. But this "streaming video games" trend is something that many in the gaming community actively doesn't want (if it's going to be forced on us in any way), that's the difference.

Grinchy

Banned
I wonder if Google's problem is how ready they are to fail at things . I think that's kind of a good thing and it's fun to see a big company take risks sometimes, but a hungry company that needed their streamed games service to do well at launch would have put something out so much better than what we're seeing with Stadia. And they wouldn't have to be one of the biggest companies on the planet to make that happen.

Just how does a company with so much infrastructure in place to make this work already, with so much capital to put it all together, limp out of the gate with what we are seeing? It just feels like the company thought it was a great idea for the first half of its creation and then realized it would fail and completely scaled back in the second half. Then released it anyway to grab $130 from each....well, let's just call them enthusiastic testers.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

The only way Stadia makes sense to me is if it was a monthly sub only and you got to play whatever games were available.

That's what most people interested in game streaming want. Considering all the downsides, you better offer it as the netflix of gaming to make up for that.

Gamezone

Gold Member
As expected. I mean, what people buy Stadia? You have to pay a huge entry ticked to have the option to stream old games that you can play with a shitty controller.

I didn't fumble 2 console launches before, nah, stadia isn't the third strik...

What were the other two? PS3?

100% agree. I give Steve Jobs a million points of credit for figuring that out with numerous Apple products. But this "streaming video games" trend is something that many in the gaming community actively doesn't want (if it's going to be forced on us in any way), that's the difference.

Steve jobs just took an Ipod and made it a phone and it took off. Cell phones were already rapidly evolving and were already in the same mindset. Tablets were from Microsoft but they failed to capitalize on it because Ballmer.

Still I agree, there's really no reason to not have a game console. Streaming can be a feature of a console, but by itself with its own games as a service? lol that's a freaking joke.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I wonder if Google's problem is how ready they are to fail at things . I think that's kind of a good thing and it's fun to see a big company take risks sometimes, but a hungry company that needed their streamed games service to do well at launch would have put something out so much better than what we're seeing with Stadia. And they wouldn't have to be one of the biggest companies on the planet to make that happen.

Just how does a company with so much infrastructure in place to make this work already, with so much capital to put it all together, limp out of the gate with what we are seeing? It just feels like the company thought it was a great idea for the first half of its creation and then realized it would fail and completely scaled back in the second half. Then released it anyway to grab $130 from each....well, let's just call them enthusiastic testers.

You are on track to the truth here. Google has an issue with scatterbrain. They have AMAZING engineers that want to create the new "NEXT" thing for Google. And they work hard on it for 2-4 years. And after that period at some point executives start listen to other engineers at the company to create the next NEW thing without making sure the first new thing actually is successful.

Google works on so many things and they have so much money that some of their new tech will be a hit. But it seems like it's a hit on accident and not by internal design. It just so happens to be a hit and then they are forced to stick with it. From Gmail, to Android, to their Google mesh routers many of the things they've created have worked. But 3 times more than that are the failures. And I'd say half of the failures could have been successes had they actually cared enough to make it work.

Jtibh

Banned
yeah, just keep on bashing it, makes sense, just don't buy it if you are not interested in using it.

If it still sucks a year from here on, then we can talk, but two weeks after release I call bullshit on everyone acting like Google threatened to kill their first born.

It's still some impressive tech, people nowadays are so entitled.. ohhh noooo not 4k60fps ultra on day one muuhh this is so bad
Nothing wrong with your statement if they would only charge a beta fee and give games at half price since you just rent and dont own.

Stuart360

Dont like taking joy from this, but me hatred for streaming is just that big.
Streaming is inevitable yes, but keep buying local hardware, and that inevitable future keeps being the future.

NickFire

Streaming reminds me of fidget spinners. Stupid as all hell for most people to buy, yet for one reason or another they sold millions and millions of the things.

Good. I hope it dies quickly.
And I can't believe that I'm the only one that thinks having to purchase hardware for streaming shit, is just silly.
Why not allow any controller to be able to play stadia games? Add a customizable button options screen before you start streaming games and that's it.

Top Bottom