• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP senators to cut all US embassy budgets unless Israel embassy moved to Jerusalem

Status
Not open for further replies.
the American embassy in Israel is moved to Jersualem.

A TRIO OF GOP senators have introduced legislation that would cut security, construction, and maintenance funds for U.S. embassies around the world in half until the president moves the American embassy in Israel to Jerusalem.

In 1995, Congress passed a law requiring the federal government to move the U.S. embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama all campaigned on relocating the embassy and executing this law. But once in office, every one of them invoked a waiver in the law that allows them to hold off on the move if they deem it necessary to the national security interests of the United States to do so.

Moving the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem would be seen as a green light to some Israeli government officials, such as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who seek to make Jerusalem the undivided capital of the state of Israel. That, in turn, would preclude the Palestinians from establishing a state that includes East Jerusalem. Most international observers believe that this would render the two-state solution impossible and thus be damaging to peace.

Source

It's just worth underscoring this: Republicans, after several years of lamenting the loss of at Benghazi, are now willing to hold the lives of other Americans hostage in order to appease Israel.

It's just worth underscoring this: Republicans, after several years of lamenting the loss of at Benghazi, are now willing to hold the lives of other Americans hostage in order to appease Israel.

It's almost like they didn't give a shit about what happened and just wanted a rallying cry against their enemy.

What an absolutely disgusting party.

Do it. Please. Let's see what happens.

You say this as if they hadn't already cut the State Department's budget prior to Benghazi.

Lautaro

What's the point of the threat? I mean, this was one of Trump's promises (and one he can actually fulfil... sadly).

Unless the idea is to give a way for Trump to reject it and appear strong... ugh, I'm turning into a conspiracy nut.

_Ryo_

This doesn't even make sense. They're willing to put lives in danger, for? I mean they're the majority of the house,and of the senate, and there's a republican president, if...when people die, they will have no one to blame but themselves and it will make Benghazi look like snow flakes.

I just don't get it, why is risking lives in order to placate Israel so important?

Ithil

Literally no different from a mobster going "Be a shame if something happened to it" if you don't pay protection money.

Wilsongt

Well, makes sense. I mean... Jesus will have to arrive and check in with the US embassy before he is allowed to enter the world... Gotta check his credentials.

Both sides are the same though, am I right?

If you support the Repubs, even in small forms, you are giving tacit support to shit like this.

Because history suggests he might change his mind, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, and Nevada Sen. Dean Heller introduced the new legislation

If one of these shit heels is representing you, please let their offices know how you feel about this.

Also vote against them at the next opportunity.

Mivey

Why though? Didn't Trump say he would do this anyway? Also would this not also involve some deliberation with Israel, since embassies are considered extraterritorial.

kess

Clearly we must do this thing so the Robo-Jesus Automaton can rapture our asses

fucking over the Palestinians is a nice bonus

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Dems don't fall for this. Let them cut the security budget. If something happens under a Trump administration you'll be filling many presidential candidates with shit before they even consider running in 2020 or 2024.

Who am I kidding, Dems will give in.

TDLink

It's important to note that this isn't at all something Israel wants or cares about. Entirely something being pushed by the GOP. Mossad has said in the past moving it would be pointless and provocative for no reason.

As someone that was raised as a christian , I will never understand US protestants obsession with Israel.

Something Something Meggido and the Second Coming

If you move it it becomes a consulate. The entire thing with an embassy is that it is in the country's capital. So we could close down the embassy and just open a consulate, I guess, or move most of the people from the embassy to the consulate, but unless Israel actually just moves the capital we can't do what these people want.

finley83

Banned

The main problem with the modern Republican party is they take the position of being the opposition too literally. You're not supposed to oppose literally everything the other party says without exception, you're actually supposed to have a set of principles that define who your are and what you stand for.

I guess now they're back in power we can all get a nice reminder of what that actually is.

The Republicans are really out of their rocker.

This would be an obvious provocation, but it may happen in the next administration as some sort of revenge from the resolution recently passed by the UN concerning the Israel settlements that was allowed by the Obama administration. But I don't see the point, as I can't recall Netanyahu supporting such a move.

The fact that they are actually threatening the security budget is disgusting, especially after the whole circus that they made of the Benghazi incident.

Madness

Let's cut off our nose to spite our faces... I swear AIPAC needs to be investigated for how much money they put in these politicians pockets. It is crazy. Not even France and Great Britain were this Pro Israel when they divided British Mandate of Palestine into Palestine and Israel. A lot of these people are those crazy evangelicals who say things like Israelis are gods chosen children and that apocalypse is coming and Israel is ground zero blah blah.

They risk American lives and american safety and security for their own selfish views.

Wag

This is not about Israel. This is about the Evangelicals- specifically Christian Zionism. All the Jews need to return to Israel for the 2nd coming to occur- then The Rapture can happen and all the Jews (and everybody else) will burn.

Balphon

Republicans never actually cared all that much about Benghazi. It was always a political cudgel to hit Obama and then Clinton with.

Everything about the GOP response to Benghazi was showmanship. That's why it got more scrutiny than every attack on a diplomatic mission under Bush combined and probably eclipsed even the '83 Beirut bombings at some point.

Darknight

Will dems bring Benghazi up or no? Like time to play dirty, say reps will get people killed. Shove it up people's ass. Its what they like after all.

Opto

Banned
Under Trump, there won't be any impeding of Israel erasing Palestine. Dems would have be very careful about arguing against it, since most Americas don't give a shit about Israel's aggressive actions. Only the most liberal of americans see Palestine as sympathetic
( http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ricans-view-the-israeli-palestinian-conflict/ )

Third Intifada will probably occur, and then there won't be a second possible state left for the two state solution.

Fox Mulder

Will dems bring Benghazi up or no? Like time to play dirty, say reps will get people killed. Shove it up people's ass. Its what they like after all.

When was the last time Dems actually played dirty and it worked? The GOP is far better at playing that game and spinning any bullshit to their favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom