• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese President calls for East Jerusalem as capital of Palestine state

Status
Not open for further replies.
...just a day after Trump calls for Jerusalem to be the capital of Israel

Chinese President Calls for East Jerusalem as Capital of Palestinian State
Chinese President Xi Jinping on Thursday called for establishing a Palestinian state within the pre-1967-war borders amid efforts by Beijing to assert its economic and political clout in the Middle East.

Addressing the Cairo-based Arab League, Xi said the Palestinian problem "should not be marginalized."

"China supports the peaceful process in the Middle East [and] the establishment of a Palestinian state with its capital being eastern Jerusalem," he added through an interpreter.
Here's Trump's story
Israeli officials are awaiting what could be one of the first announcements from the new Trump administration: a decision to move the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

Such a move, which Trump repeatedly promised on the campaign trail, may please many Israelis but anger Palestinians as well as officials in Arab nations, who could see it as directly provocative and a hindrance to future peace negotiations between Israelis and Palestinians.

Palestinians claim Jerusalem as the capital of their future state, and Trump, like the Israeli government, views Jerusalem as Israel’s “eternal capital.” Since Israel’s creation, the United States has maintained that the status of the holy city of Jerusalem should be settled only in negotiations between the two parties, and Trump appears prepared to dramatically break with tradition.
I don't know if Jinpeng is trying to piss Trump off with this. But I hope not, and they're serious about this and not using Palestine issue to play games with each other.

jerry113

Banned
China getting this involved in international politics is pretty new, no?

They've been all over investment in Africa for a decade now.

But with the USA trumpeting out "America First" and looking to bring back the pre-WW2 isolationist America, someone's gotta try to fill the vacuum.

jerry113

Banned
They don't have near the military to challenge the US.

It's not all about "hard" military power anymore in the 21st century, as Russia has shown us.

Soft power through cultural exports, economic power by fostering an environment that attracts technological innovators, and asymmetric warfare via cyber warfare are other ways a country can exert its influence without escalating conflict to the point where either side feels the need to use military action.

In this case, it seems like China's leaders are trying to take advantage of the negative perception the international community has of Trump by presenting itself as an alternative choice of leadership in world issues.

Mr.Mike

It's definitely a really big step forward. And this is coming off of his speech in Davos.

When China deploys their military to some far off land, even if it's a relatively small excursion, we'll know shit is getting real.

numble

They are just trying to antagonize Trump, huh?

They don't have near the military to challenge the US.

How is this a military challenge?

For example, if many in the Middle East, Africa, Europe and Southeast Asia support Jerusalem as a capital for Palestine, this is an easy soft power win for China.

Derwind

Eventually, all this tension is going to hit a boiling point. I hope Trump gets equal credit for his involvement when history books are written.

jfkgoblue

How is this a military challenge?

For example, if many in the Middle East, Africa, Europe and Southeast Asia support Jerusalem as a capital for Palestine, this is an easy soft power win for China.
You can't seriously challenge to be a world power without a strong military.
They have nukes. What else do they need.
Which they wouldn't dare use. Not to mention they would get hit from the counter attack before their missiles even came close to the US.

numble

Which they wouldn't dare use.

Yes, you can? Willingness to enter trade deals, for instance. Support for international initiatives like the AIIB and Belt and Road.

The RCEP and Paris climate deal are other areas. If they are the center of a large regional trade bloc and working with other countries to address climate issues, all of which do not require a strong military, does that mean that China is not exerting global power?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Someone post the Mad Max bait gif.

Cause that is what China is doing. They know if the US goes ahead they will draw major anger in the Arab world which will be against US interests.

Atenhaus

r e a l p o l i t i k

I can guarantee Xi Jinping doesn't give an iota of a shit about the Palestinians and their plight, but if this allows them to get under Trump's skin, they'll take the opportunity.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
China might benefit from the US getting stuck in another Middle East conflict so they could just be stirring the pot more than anything.

watershed

Banned
r e a l p o l i t i k

I can guarantee Xi Jinping doesn't give an iota of a shit about the Palestinians and their plight, but if this allows them to get under Trump's skin, they'll take the opportunity.

Pretty much.

But for the sake of a 2 state solution, I'm glad China is willing to throw their weight around a bit.

BowieZ

Banned
I love that China is getting involved in this, separate to the fact that I also happen to agree with China on this.

There's no reason America should be exerting its geopolitical influence and another superpower shouldn't. It's healthy to have an open international debate.

The question is, can Trump negotiate successfully, such that it doesn't result in armed conflict?

If it doesn't, good on him, and we can all rest easy. If it does, though... he's out of there.

Which they wouldn't dare use. Not to mention they would get hit from the counter attack before their missiles even came close to the US.

Wow, so we need to explain how nukes work again right?

Nukes prevent two nations from going to war with another. Relative military strength doesn't matter, since either can nuke. If the USA were to invade china, china would nuke.

Would china get destroyed? Sure, but the USA would also get nuked, and the people would be pissed off at whatever dumbass leader thought that was a good idea.

Woorloog

Banned
The world has become C&C Generals one. USA losing power, GLA (ISIS) running around and China rising.

Fortunately China propably doesn't use much military might, more soft power projection.

Mimosa97

China getting this involved in international politics is pretty new, no?

Someone has to fill the vacuum inevitably left by the US once Trump is done with alienating every nation on earth.

Trump is a godsend gift to China and their imperialist/geopolitical ambitions.

JP_

Banned
Not to mention they would get hit from the counter attack before their missiles even came close to the US.

You get this from GI Joe or what? MAD ensures mutual destruction, but China/Russia have enough nukes to get through our defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom