• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP senators to cut all US embassy budgets unless Israel embassy moved to Jerusalem

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Benghazi though.

Ha ha ha, stop, my economic anxiety can only take so much.

I find it interesting that even though they control all pillars of the government, the GOP is still threatening to fuck everyone if they dont get their way. God that party is terrible. Party before country indeed.

On the left though I wish we did take the cue from the GOP to realize "look, regardless of who is the top of the ticket, its more important that the party I identify with, that's views and goals hue closest to mine, wins the election." Sadly, the left is full of a bunch of delicate snowflakes who dont want to bother unless they are in love with their candidate.

Probably worth reminding us of the DNC debates between Clinton and Sanders on the subject of Israel. I think it was the first time in a Presidential debate that a candidate who defended Palestinians, and spoke of them as equal to Israelis, got applause from the crowd.

However, as we've come to see in recent years, the U.S. obsession of Israel is still largely a bipartisan effort.

Real Hero

Yet not a single war where the U.S ever fought together with Israel. If Israel ever had this mythical control of the most powerful country ever, they're doing it wrong.

They don't need to be in control if they are already largely supported, Isreal is backed by the most powerful country ever not controlling it

They are pretty much provoking the Palestinians to another intafada which will give Israel the go ahead and just annex any territory left it the Palestinians and pick a fight with Iran and everyone else by proxy. This is pretty much a setup for no more two state solutions and the final solution to Israels Palestinian problem.

Yet not a single war where the U.S ever fought together with Israel. If Israel ever had this mythical control of the most powerful country ever, they're doing it wrong.

I often think the Israel Lobby is more a way to produce a steady stream of scapegoats since you get to blame anyone freely if anything happens: your opponents, people you don't like, filthy worthless jews, filthy worthless arabs, and so on.
those adverbs are there for stressing the point, not being my view

It's the definition of empty gesture politics that does nothing good for the supposed benefactor. "it's not for you, it's for me"

Any serious Republican should be against this as it literally threatens American lives for the sake of absolutely nothing. Kind of feels like the Tory Brexit gamble, actually. And we know how that turned out.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This doesn't even make sense. They're willing to put lives in danger, for? I mean they're the majority of the house,and of the senate, and there's a republican president, if...when people die, they will have no one to blame but themselves and it will make Benghazi look like snow flakes.

I just don't get it, why is risking lives in order to placate Israel so important?

It will be another Benghazi in the sense that it's the Democrat's fault that they didn't move the embassy. They put every American in every embassy around the world at risk by not complying with the GOP demands.

Kettch

From what I can tell, it's long passed the time where a two state solution is possible anyway. This would just accelerate things and make it official, exposing Israel for the apartheid state that it is.

That's why I don't see Israel moving their capital regardless of what dumb things we do, they like the status quo, so this is pretty low on my list of problems with our Israel policies.

rrvv

They need Israel for the end times and Jesus to come back or whatever dumb shit.

It's important to note that this isn't at all something Israel wants or cares about. Entirely something being pushed by the GOP. Mossad has said in the past moving it would be pointless and provocative for no reason.

Something Something Meggido and the Second Coming

I always curious on justification of "second coming". As far as I know, Muslim, Cristian and Jew believe them. So it doesn't really matter on who own the land

Oh please. We pour millions into their coffers. If they say "jump!" we "jump."

We're their bitch.
I always curious on justification of "second coming". As far as I know, Muslim, Cristian and Jew believe them. So it doesn't really matter on who own the land
That's not really true. It does matter to some people where the Second coming happens, and in this case according to certain Evangelical Protestant beliefs, it does matter on whose land.

FStop7

Banned
Ariel Sharon triggered an intifada that lasted 5 years and killed lord knows how many people merely by visiting Temple Mount.

Seems to me that the US embassy setting up shop in Jerusalem could easily start another uprising. It sounds needlessly provocative.

Ariel Sharon triggered an intifada that lasted 5 years and killed lord knows how many people merely by visiting Temple Mount.

Seems to me that the US embassy setting up shop in Jerusalem could easily start another uprising. It sounds needlessly provocative.

Palestinians are gunna get offered scraps & when they refuse, Trump will tweet nonstop about how they turned down a fair deal.

Setting up an embassy in Jerusalem would more or less coincide with Palestine losing any chance of ever getting any part of the city as their capital, so yes you can bet your butt there would be an uprising.

I don't really understand why you would try and make this play right before the embassies are about to be stuffed with Donald Trump's political donors and other assorted entourage, particularly when he's already made it clear that the current diplomats will be evicted before it can possibly matter to them.

NewFresh

I don't really understand why you would try and make this play right before the embassies are about to be stuffed with Donald Trump's political donors and other assorted entourage, particularly when he's already made it clear that the current diplomats will be evicted before it can possibly matter to them.

To be able to say that democrats obstructed and then blame them for any cuts.

To be able to say that democrats obstructed and then blame them for any cuts.

I mean, fuck it, they've already made it clear they're going to vilify Democrats no matter what choices they make. Own that shit. Force Trump's campaign donors to live in squalor and fear; I can't think of a better group of people to inherit a giant bag of cat-shit from the GOP's attempts to one-up themselves on being despicable.

Breads

Banned
The fuck? Did they forget to punch in what we stand to gain in whatever cost benefit analysis they this though?

Any credible news source on this yet?

ISOM

I wish Democrats would do stuff like this to get laws passed instead of letting Republicans obstruct them all the time.

It wouldn't work because the voting base of the Democrats aren't stupid while Republicans base are. Plus Republicans have right wing media to back them up. Democrats in general just aren't as evil to do something like this.

Dr.Acula

Banned
My eyes are being opened to all the subtle, nuanced international issues that Obama had to navigate, and now I'm being slapped in the face with the reaity that this responsibility is now being thrust upon Trump
's son-in-law.

thefro

As someone that was raised as a christian , I will never understand US protestants obsession with Israel.

Some of the more vocal ones believe that the Temple in Jerusalem needs to be rebuilt by Israel so that Jesus can come back and that we're close to the end times.

Xe4

Banned
Both parties r teh saem, rite guyz?!?!?! Obviously Democrats and Republicans treat Israel the exact same so why should I vote for either of them???

God dammit.

ISOM

Both parties r teh saem, rite guyz?!?!?! Obviously Democrats and Republicans treat Israel the exact same so why should I vote for either of them???

God dammit.

Don't worry the people who usually say both sides are the same don't pay attention to politics until a couple weeks before elections.

Xe4

Banned
Don't worry the people who usually say both sides are the same don't pay attention to politics until a couple weeks before elections.
I know. I'm still going to keep saying it every chance I get, so hopefully someone who holds that position will realize how stupid they were being. I was one of those people a while back too.

I have several good friends who work for the State Department as foreign service officers. If one of them gets hurt or dies as a result of this nonsense I will personally do everything I can to rally marches on Washington from that point until the GOP is out of power.

I cannot stand the modern Republican party, they are an affront to every ideal this country was founded on.

So will this be Intifada 3.0 or 4.0?

This will be the first military Wag the Dog of the Trump admin. The real question will be whether Trump's boss Putin allows him to fuck with Iran as it progresses.

Boke1879

Some of the more vocal ones believe that the Temple in Jerusalem needs to be rebuilt by Israel so that Jesus can come back and that we're close to the end times.

Then there's that whole thing with the Anti-christ, all the death, famine and disease that needs to happen before Jesus actually does come back.

Your friendly reminder that Trump's pick for Ambassador to Israel said Jews who support the two state solution are worse than Nazi collaborators.

etrain911

It will be interesting to see how two-faced they and Trump are now that Israel is openly bombing Assad's Syria. I don't think Putin would like that very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom