• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got fired 4 1/2 months ago, now make 3x what my boss did + $100 Giveaway Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildfire

Banned
Nice story. Thanks for the uplifting speech. Did you do this to your ex-boss yet?

how-bout-them-apples.gif

terrisus

I know I'm not going to get it, but, what the heck, not like I'm going to be doing anything else at 8PM tonight, may as well post here.

MVP

Banned
I've read about affiliate marketing to no end at blackhatworld, which seemed to be a popular site for that sort of thing.

However, while it seems some people are making real income, the details of how it occurred never surface. There is always something missing other than merely creating backlinks, spamming your site everywhere, and having a solid domain name.

Maybe it's time to come up with a marketing campaign about marketing.. pretty sure that's what a pyramid scheme is though.

Anyway, clearly you're doing something right, man. Also, I can't believe that sick day thing is an actual policy..

BHW was one of the first sites I went to when trying to learn this stuff. There are better places, BHW focuses on mostly shady stuff, or gaming the system somehow, like finding holes in Google's algorithms to rank higher, stuff like that. Not really what affiliate marketing as a whole is about.

fertygo

You rich enough to paid people here that not bashing you OP ;)
BHW was one of the first sites I went to when trying to learn this stuff. There are better places, BHW focuses on mostly shady stuff, or gaming the system somehow, like finding holes in Google's algorithms to rank higher, stuff like that. Not really what affiliate marketing as a whole is about.

So from where you learn the non-shady stuff?

I'm assuming this is the equivalent of how various blogs and podcasts ask you to shop on Amazon through their specific URL because they get a cut. Yes / No?

MVP

Banned
I'm assuming this is the equivalent of how various blogs and podcasts ask you to shop on Amazon through their specific URL because they get a cut. Yes / No?

Amazon has an affiliate program, so yeah, someone telling you to shop through their Amazon link is doing some "affiliate marketing", but just one way of doing it, with one company.

Seriously, just go to Netflix.com and go all the way to the bottom. You'll see a link there that says "Affiliates". You get someone to sign up for Netflix, you'll get a cut. Same with Gamefly, same with referring someone to apply for a certain credit card, that's why there are so many credit card advertisements everywhere you go, etc. It's a huge industry, but for some reason people tend to associate it with the ONE method they have come across. Any time someone gets paid a cut for referring someone else to anything, it's affiliate marketing.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Hah...I used to do this quite a bit years ago.

I sorta still do, but now it's a giant mobile ad network with huge budgets and Fortune 500 clients.

MVP

Banned
http://www.affiliatetips.com/

That site legit? I wonder how well cigarette companies pay for such a thing. Those ecigs are everywhere now. I've never done such a thing before, so I'm doing a little research.

Never been to that site, but there are a ton of resources. My favorite thing to do is follow an actual affiliate's blog, someone who isn't selling shit. They tend to post stuff which is absolute GOLD, and you'll end up going from there.

One good blog I like is from some guy called Charles Ngo, at charlesngo.com, he's really helpful, and doesn't try to sell you a damn thing.

For anyone that wants to learn this stuff, I can't say this enough, DO NOT PAY FOR ANY COURSES. Don't pay a single dime to any so-called guru, or some bullshit course promising some guide to making money online, all the stuff is available for free with good research. I've lost decent money years ago buying course after course of useless shit.

Something you have to realize is, people who make these courses give you their methods once they're already saturated and don't work anymore. There are very few things which are worth the money, so just to be safe, don't pay for anything and learn for free.

As far as ecigs, I've run a few ecig offers, like South Beach Smoke, Regal Cigs i think they're called, etc. You get about $35-$40 a pop for each sale, but I couldn't make a profit so I quit those. Tough to get people to buy stuff, you need a much bigger testing budget, so a lot of people make the money getting leads instead.

MVP

Banned
OP do you have your own website?

I do but I don't sell anything on there, it's just a little "marketing agency" site that looks somewhat presentable, so if I need to work with some new ad network, they don't think they're working with some dude in his underwear playing Xbox half the day. Most of what I run is direct linked to the advertiser's site, or I'll sometimes make my own landing page to presell whatever it is before directing them to the final offer page.

Congrats dude, glad to see its working out for you.

Every time I look into something like this I always come across the scummy "you can make $3000 in one day after just 15 days of training" type sites. Are you just using the typical Amazon, Gamefly, other online retailer affiliate links or something different?

Edit: Never mind, I believe I know what your doing, I used to be a developer for a company that had affiliates for some of its marketing. If it is that, I've been wanting to send some leads to several places, but no idea how to start. Setting up landing pages isnt the problem, its finding the company to sends leads to ha. Its mostly lead-gen your doing, right?

MVP

Banned
Nice story. Thanks for the uplifting speech. Did you do this to your ex-boss yet?

how-bout-them-apples.gif

lol nah, I don't even have anything against my ex-boss, he was a pretty cool guy, and gave me plenty of previous warnings about attendance, so can't really fault him. I was his top performer so I know he didn't want to let me go, but he would look bad in front of HIS boss if he let me slide too much.

i would probably fire someone who said Lebron is better than Jordan too

You mean people nowadays still think MJ > Lebron? Lol, nostalgers gonna nostalge.

MVP

Banned
Congrats dude, glad to see its working out for you.

Every time I look into something like this I always come across the scummy "you can make $3000 in one day after just 15 days of training" type sites. Are you just using the typical Amazon, Gamefly, other online retailer affiliate links or something different?

Working direct with advertisers can boost your ROI once you make it big time, but I work with an affiliate network. They're kind of the middle-man between you and the advertiser, and they take a small cut too, but they are beneficial in that they can help you with cash-flow issues, etc.

For example, in the screenshots in my OP, I started running out of cash, and the CEO of my network made sure I started getting paid twice a week until my cash flow is back in order. When you start scaling up your revenues, it's hard to keep everything flowing smoothly unless you have a credit card with some super high limits.

Advertisers on the other hand, don't care about your issues, and will pay you Net 30 most of the time, so a whole month before you see your earned commission. No thanks.

satori

MVP good work bro. Keep at it but I don't think you need anyone to tell you that. I am doing the same. Not in the same breathe as you but branching out and doing things on my own. Tired of this grind I do. I enjoy my job, but I do feel like I would be much happier busting my ass 18 hours a day doing my own thing, vs a stable job under someone else.

MVP

Banned
MVP good work bro. Keep at it but I don't think you need anyone to tell you that. I am doing the same. Not in the same breathe as you but branching out and doing things on my own. Tired of this grind I do. I enjoy my job, but I do feel like I would be much happier busting my ass 18 hours a day doing my own thing, vs a stable job under someone else.

Exactly! When you're doing it for yourself, or you have a vision or goal in mind, it doesn't even feel like work, it just feels like you're doing what you're supposed to be doing. Just feels natural, and it's exciting when you think of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom