• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GotG is the "Deadliest Movie Ever" if you look sideways and squint real hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Guardians of the Galaxy tops list of deadliest films with 83,871 fatalities

Guardians of the Galaxy, the tongue-in-cheek superhero movie starring Chris Pratt, has comprehensively topped a study of the deadliest blockbusters, thanks to an especially bloody finale.

The film sees the killing of 80,000 Nova Corps pilots in one of its closing scenes, which takes its estimated on-screen body count to 83,871 – that’s 78,184 more than its nearest rival.

The study was conducted by financial services comparison website Go Compare, and totted up the casualties in the best-performing Hollywood films since the 1940s.

It found that the average number of deaths in movies has risen through the decades. In 1940, there was just one film with 50 or more on-screen deaths, rising to four in 1950, 33 in 1960, 44 in 1970, 84 in 1980 and 119 in 1990. Four films from 2014 made it into the top 10.

The top 10 deadliest Hollywood movies
1. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) – 83,871 on-screen deaths
2. Dracula Untold (2014) – 5,687
3. The Sum of All fears (2002) – 2,922
4. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003) - 2,798
5. 300: Rise of An Empire (2014) – 2,234
6. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) – 1,741
7. The Matrix Revolutions (2003) – 1,647
8. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014) – 1,417
9. Braveheart (1995) – 1,297
10. The Avengers (2012) – 1,019

tumblr_n8f207l02a1rwtl3wo1_500.gif

full list here:
http://www.gocompare.com/life-insurance/directors-cut

#46 Thor: The Dark World

Neoxon

Wait, didn't Civil War give a finite number of deaths for The Incident (A.K.A. The Battle of New York in Avengers 1)?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Aliens are not people. Maybe 1000 alien lives are worth 1 human life. Skewed numbers.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How is Cutthroat Island not on there? That thing killed an entire studio.

Gattsu25

Banned
There have been several films with inhabited planets exploding. I guess their omission is in how they define "on screen."

If they're only counting movies where the precise moment of death is captured on-screen in the final product then Star Wars 7 still counts.

I mean, the people in GOTG are obscured by their spacecraft and many don't even show a single pixel of their person/skin on screen before dying, so obstruction of viewing the person shouldn't matter.

Cartman86

Banned
Star Trek (2009) If you can count Nova Corp ships exploding without seeing the people in the ships then you can count planets.

I think they mean in terms of 100% verifiable statistics (like, they counted the exact number of exploding ships in GoTG

DrNeroCF

The pilots in ships? How's that count as 'on screen'? Wouldn't the same logic work for buildings / cites and put Independence Day up there?

Edit: And if only 'ships' count, doesn't that put Titanic at number 3?

There's absolutely no way the MPAA counts that as 80,000 on screen deaths...

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'm guessing they wanted to go for on screen battles otherwise stuff like star wars would have been listed. Though I am surprised by the omission of star trek into darkness, the c crash landing ship flattened like 5 city blocks, not counting the opening scenes attack and when the enterprise was ripped to pieces and you saw the crew just get vented into space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHSJ-Xq-flo

I mean seriously what the fuck.

No Man of Steel? So you can stop being pouty now, Supes.

As many times as I've seen that sequence the presentation is so disjointed and it has so many weird transitions and continuity errors that it's almost impossible to tell how much actual destruction is going on there.

No Man of Steel? So you can stop being pouty now, Supes.

You don't actually really see anyone die in Man of Steel. Of course it's implied but it's not like you're seeing people get brutally crushed left and right every 5 seconds of film like everyone makes it sound like. Hell BvS showed more people die in the Metropolis battle than Man of Steel.

If we can count implied deaths then this right here is probably still the bodycount king: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX9hL93HPMI

Still disturbing all this time later too, Cameron had some massive stones to show children being incinerated like that, their lifeless bodies laying there burning remains one of the scariest images I've ever seen in movies. Of course you can say it's just a dream sequence but seeing as how we know it really happens in the original timeline I'd say it counts, I'd say it's the only of the movies listed so far where it's massive display of death is treated horrifically as it should be instead of being a glorified fireworks display to spice up the third act.

Yeah, it's been a while since I've seen GOTG but that seems like an extremely arbitrary distinction between it and any number of other films where entire cities and/or planets get destroyed.

GoCompare is a UK price comparison website for stuff like car insurance and mortgages. They know shit all about movies. This is purely a publicity piece.

PSqueak

Banned
So what's the parameter? Army kills?

Because, i mean, you don't even need to go to TFA's destruction of an entire galaxy, there are movies where the entire population of earth is killed, that is more than enough to top GotG.

So what's the parameter? Army kills?

Because, i mean, you don't even need to go to TFA's destruction of an entire galaxy, there are movies where the entire population of earth is killed, that is more than enough to top GotG.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense. A New Hope also had all of Alderaan being destroyed. Just counting military deaths is stupid.

Skunkers

Star Wars: The Force Awakens at number one with gangs of planets being destroyed simultaneously (plus two entire solar systems, when I think about it).

Fj0823

Rebuild of evangelion killed every living thing on earth on screen you could hear the screams, oh God the screams...

So I'm not impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom