• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Sony Europe is running a GT5 teaser ad

OMG WTH OMG it was frekkin awesome

was watching men and motors TV like you do and it was a break and a game advert came on i thought probs a 360 one but i will give you the lowdown

although very breif it showed the back bumper of a car not sure what one but the detail on it was awesome then it went to a rear wheel and screen went black then all you heard was the car revving away then the PS3 banner showed and it ended

http://www.community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=62&thread.id=1639508

beast786

http://e4g.info/1886/gran-turismo-5-track-editor-confirmed-by-polyphony-digital.html

I am not sure how reliable the site is. But it some how confirms:

With the recent rumors and videos that have been going around about Gran Turismo 5 having a track editor, we decided to contact the developers to find out if it was true or not. Now, we have a official answer.

They were kind enough to give us a quick response and this is what a representative said:(Take note, translated from Japanese.)

“Yes it will have a track editor. You will be able to rebuild a track from scratch or edit the tracks that are already put in Gran Turismo 5.”

We also asked them when Gran Turismo 5 would be launched world wide. A representative replied with:(Take note, translated from Japanese.)

“Sorry, we can’t give out any of that information at the moment, you will just have to wait and see.”

The thought of a track editor in GT is extremely ugh to me. Just the idea of it comes as a poor reaction to trying to one-up or do something the console competition isn't really doing.

Hopefully the track editor is kept fairly simple like the gymkhana and complex strings in GT4 were. But the rumor stating you can edit existing tracks doesn't fit with that. Being able to modify existing tracks just seems almost blasphemous to the concept of GT.

spats

Wax Free Vanilla said:
- the game is going to be released next spring.

- Digi Expo version is the newest code .

- Track Editor confirmed at 2:25 by saying "You can make your own tracks." :D

amar:

- "Online is going to be huge in this game too."

http://www.iltalehti.fi/nettitv/?8520265

The guy must've been talking out his ass. He sure looked like it.

Besides the thought of adding a functioning track editor to GT5 seems ludicrous to me. Creating xx amounts of tilesets on top of the super-detailed tracks that come in the box? Considering all the other stuff they're boasting I just can't see how it would be possible to manage resources in such a way that they could actually get all that done.

I call BS.

Valkyr Junkie said:
The thought of a track editor in GT is extremely ugh to me. Just the idea of it comes as a poor reaction to trying to one-up or do something the console competition isn't really doing.

Exactly what is so wrong about an optional feature?

ianp622

Valkyr Junkie said:

Could you please give me an example of PD doing ANYTHING just in reaction to competition?

bud

someone will ask kaz about it sooner or later and he'll say: ''we could put it in, but we haven't decided yet. ^____^''

Does anyone have a list of features "that people have said will be in the game but no one actually knows yet because it hasn't been confirmed"?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I find that really unlikely (the track editor)... Considering the structure of the tracks in GT, it would be a massive feature to implement...

As for how PD releases information, in my opinion it's up to them. They have so far done a pretty good job at developing successful (sales, reviews) titles so why change a formula that works.

I personally enjoy seeing stuff revealed at the last second. Makes it all the more exciting than hearing about features for years without getting to play the game and then seeing it implemented in other games half-assed.

mr_nothin said:
It's probably making your own variation of the existing tracks.
That's what I would think, being able to create your own strings ala PGR3 track editor sort of thing. Long as the game features some tracks with a ton of possible routes, maybe a chunk of london to customise.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Valkyr Junkie said:

Hopefully the track editor is kept fairly simple like the gymkhana and complex strings in GT4 were. But the rumor stating you can edit existing tracks doesn't fit with that. Being able to modify existing tracks just seems almost blasphemous to the concept of GT.

You cant one up or react to something the competition is not doing.

That said, it could be that they give you the full track and you pick the layout corners. Many tracks have many variations depending on how its configured on a per race basis. Many tracks even have two or more grid lines and paddocks for pits.

Or it could be a full thing a la Modnation Racers. Pick the path and then the stuff around is procedurally filled in. If Modnation works, I dont see why this couldnt as well.

I cant believe people are complaining.:lol

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Track editor? If I can recreate the Alcatraz track from San Francisco Rush, and toggle a modifier to switch on moon gravity, okay, I'm in.

zero2000

Banned
I refuse to believe that E4G site who all of a sudden claim to have gotten a response from Polyphony Digital mere hours after a POSSIBLY mistranslated video hits the internet.

Just look at their site...looks like something I designed when I was 8. :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
If it does have a track editor, that could be quite interesting.

I can't imagine something like PGR3's map creator working in GT5.

Truespeed

A Track Editor you say?

Finally. My dream of building an oval track where NASCAR racers turn right will come to fruition.

NASCAR is an abomination to racing. If PD had left out that junk and made it DLC we would probably have the game this year.

Yoboman

Solidsnakex probably has the picture of the aimed feature list they showed once

Did it mention track editor on there?

Gravijah

beast786 said:
“Yes it will have a track editor. You will be able to rebuild a track from scratch or edit the tracks that are already put in Gran Turismo 5.”

Worded like that for a reason? I assume rebuild=still using a base track?

I can't help but think that a track editor is a waste of time, a game like Gran Turismo is all about memorizing the tracks finding the optimal line, not about having a billion different tracks so the race is always different. I'm not anti-track editor, I can't wait for ModNation Racers, but a track editor in a GT game just seems a bit too comparable to putting bbq sauce on your cereal.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
I can't help but think that a track editor is a waste of time, a game like Gran Turismo is all about memorizing the tracks finding the optimal line, not about having a billion different tracks so the race is always different. I'm not anti-track editor, I can't wait for ModNation Racers, but a track editor in a GT game just seems a bit too comparable to putting bbq sauce on your cereal.
I know someone who does/did that.

Anyhow, I can't see how the option to have custom tracks would hurt, you wouldn't be forced to use them.

Yoboman said:
Solidsnakex probably has the picture of the aimed feature list they showed once

Did it mention track editor on there?

oanhgk.jpg

Could race builder be it?

But that was GTHD's planned feature set, so if that's not it then that doesn't mean it won't be int he game. One thing we do know is that Kaz mentioned that what they announced at TGS was just the basic features for GT5. It was just what long time players expect to see in GT5. So they're definitely keeping some things under wraps right now.

user_nat said:
Anyhow, I can't see how the option to have custom tracks would hurt, you wouldn't be forced to use them.
This is right, I'm not going to have to vomit everytime I see the words custom track in GT5, but if adding a track editor is stealing resources from perfecting damage modelling or fully implementing dynamic weather or adding 4 months to the release date, I'd really prefer that it isn't included.

expy

Banned
This is right, I'm not going to have to vomit everytime I see the words custom track in GT5, but if adding a track editor is stealing resources from perfecting damage modelling or fully implementing dynamic weather or adding 4 months to the release date, I'd really prefer that it isn't included.
I'm sure space isn't an issue. It's only a storage issue since you'll never have the track editor running when racing, so it won't affect damage modelling in the least bit.

expy said:
I'm sure space isn't an issue. It's only a storage issue since you'll never have the track editor running when racing, so it won't affect damage modelling in the least bit.
By resources I meant PD staff, who would be working on this instead of other features.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Truespeed said:
A Track Editor you say?

Finally. My dream of building an oval track where NASCAR racers turn right will come to fruition.

NASCAR is an abomination to racing. If PD had left out that junk and made it DLC we would probably have the game this year.
I think one of the EA Sports NASCAR racers had an oval where the cars turned right.

I still don't know why people are so negative about NASCAR being in GT. The series already had oval tracks. I'd say it's pretty natural that NASCAR would eventually be included. Plus there are road courses in NASCAR. Anyway, it's good that they're including it since there's more to it than just the cars. They're going to be implementing the rules from NASCAR into GT5. So it'll also change the usual gameplay up.

Chris R

Would be so damn cool if there was a decently featured track editor included (and would be even better if the editor supported kbm and could be uploaded via the PS3 or computer to websites to be reviewed ect).

I hope the track editor is completely bonus, and not an attempt to make up for any perceived shortcomings on the # of included 'stock' tracks.

Did we ever get any clarification on the 20+ locations/ 70 variations thing ?

Iknos

What I'm hoping for is an autocross type track editor where you can lay down pylons to create an autocross track.

The pylon system could also work with current tracks much like PGR's cone challenges. Adding chicanes in some straights and/or changing the nature of some corners by narrowing them down a bit.

It's a tad more feasible than creating a track from scratch though I don't think creating one from scratch is impossible either. It could be much like ModNation Racers and it doesn't need to have a fancy background. It would look very clinical because the background could be on open field but it's better than nothing.

Iknos said:
It's a tad more feasible than creating a track from scratch though I don't think creating one from scratch is impossible either. It could be much like ModNation Racers and it doesn't need to have a fancy background. It would look very clinical because the background could be on open field but it's better than nothing.

Yeah, if there is a track creator then the backgrounds are probably going to be along the lines of the Complex String. Which is fine considering the Complex String is one of the best courses in the series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F5jrXJr5uA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom