• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_nothin

Banned
igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
This is right, I'm not going to have to vomit everytime I see the words custom track in GT5, but if adding a track editor is stealing resources from perfecting damage modelling or fully implementing dynamic weather or adding 4 months to the release date, I'd really prefer that it isn't included.
Oh lord...it's Uncharted 2 all over again.

People hire and outsource exactly for these reasons.

-Amon-

Track editor ?

Never cared about fantasy tracks... this tool might come in handy if used to recreate old tracks or tracks PD did not succed to buy licenses.

But it has to be powerful for people to recreate from scratch an old circuit for examples. You have to be able to define geometry and import textures, it's hard work.

I don't think we'll see something like that...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
mr_nothin said:

Epic Jett meltdown when Uncharted 2 online was announced.

Facism

wouldn't be suprised if a track editor worked in a similar way to Trackmania, with "arenas" you can lay a track in, but not as wacky as trackmania can get.

mr_nothin said:

Sure, and I do agree to an extent, but Kaz almost seems notorious for saying that certain features (dynamic weather) might be in the game if they can manage it in time.

Issun23

Would love it even if it was a "simple" track generator. For example, you choose background terrain type (mountain, sea, desert), ground inclination, curvature and the like. Then it generates a track following those criteria. Infinite roads to drive on!

Yoboman

Is GT5 going to have better sounds than Prologue? Cause it's just terrible there. If it's like this in the final game their sound designer should have been fired long ago

Goldrusher

Yoboman said:
Is GT5 going to have better sounds than Prologue? Cause it's just terrible there. If it's like this in the final game their sound designer should have been fired long ago
GT PSP already has much better sounds, so probably, hopefully.

Woz

-viper- said:
Create your own tracks? Megaton if true. I personally think it sounds too complicated to simply create your own tracks, unless they look very plain.

Speaking of tracks, I hope this circuit is in the game:
http://leebecker.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/14-4517-yas-marina-hotel1.jpg

The Yas Marina Circuit. Simply beautiful. :O

I've seen the F1 race yesterday and it was boring as hell... well F1 is allways boring, but that circuit doesn't seem very funny to drive :/

Shurs said:
Isn't E4G a bullshit site?

I think N4G is the one you're thinking of. I've never heard of E4G before though.

Although personally I don't think it'll happen. I think Kaz is far too picky about features appearing in GT to put something like that in it.

-viper- said:
Create your own tracks? Megaton if true. I personally think it sounds too complicated to simply create your own tracks, unless they look very plain.

Speaking of tracks, I hope this circuit is in the game:
http://leebecker.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/14-4517-yas-marina-hotel1.jpg

The Yas Marina Circuit. Simply beautiful. :O
I have to second that, one of the most beautiful race tracks I've ever seen. As I watched the GP my first thought was that it better be in GT5!

Goldrusher

It's a flat, empty and boring Tilkedrome.
The lights and the penis-shaped hotel don't fool me.

Rayven_king said:
So which track would you re-create if there is a track editor
None.

Only Polyphony has the resources to recreate tracks worthy to be in GT5.
The players should stick to fantasy tracks. But I don't expect much of the editor. At most, it will probably be an empty field where you can make something like the Complex String.

And it's still an unconfirmed feature.

Woz

Rayven_king said:
pista%20polistil.jpg

roxya

Woz said:
I've seen the F1 race yesterday and it was boring as hell... well F1 is allways boring, but that circuit doesn't seem very funny to drive :/

I thought it was a really good track.

GodofWine

Rayven_king said:

Figure 8....online GT5 figure 8 death race of pure GAF Carnage.

If true / possible, I'll host this every Thursday at 10pm EST confirmed! :D

rataplein

As long as we can upload and share our "creations" and download others it will be fine. a good track online Ranking system, and bring it on!

I don't get it: we know for a long time that there will be costumisable tracks. Isn't it what they mean when they say "track editor"?

Remember we talk about the kings of bullshittingplayingonwords!

Nothing is clear when it comes to PD.

Yoritomo

Death Dealer said:
I hope the track editor is completely bonus, and not an attempt to make up for any perceived shortcomings on the # of included 'stock' tracks.

Did we ever get any clarification on the 20+ locations/ 70 variations thing ?

The low number of tracks seems odd considering WRC was supposed to be in the game I thought.

Yoritomo

GodofWine said:
Figure 8....online GT5 figure 8 death race of pure GAF Carnage.

If true / possible, I'll host this every Thursday at 10pm EST confirmed! :D

With the top gear test rack in the game then we already have a figure 8 style track at the outset.

Set to be held on November 14 at the recently opened Bellesalle Akihabara in Tokyo's electronics capital, Akiba Grand Prix will have players use their own PSP system and copy of Gran Turismo to challenge five pro racers. Defeating these racers will unlock up to 435 cars.

Those who defeat all five racers will be able to advance to a final tournament round. The final match in this round is a race against pro racer Juichi Wakisaka.

Sony has some tempting prizes up for grabs. The top placer will get his name included in the staff credits for Gran Turismo 5. Second place gets the Gran Turismo 5 Master Collection, consisting of a PlayStation 3, a Driving Force GT, and a copy of GT5 (following its March 2010 release).

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/11/02/gran_turismo_akihabara/

Ranger X

That would be too good to be true to have a track editor. And also, it can mean anything really. Having a track editor as complex as say Trackmania could render GT5 the game of forever for me though.

AndyD

aka andydumi
SolidSnakex said:

Not surprising really. Sony PR is less informed and free to say stuff than PD and Kaz.

Sony cant say much until an official pr is out and even then they stick to the pr line no matter what. Its been seen so many times with so many things, particularly leaks of stuff where stuff is so obvious and yet Sony pr still says "no comment".

Why say that something may or may not be in your game?
If Kaz is sure about a feature making it into a game, let him speak on the matter, if he's uncertain about something making it in, it would make more sense to not talk about it all, so as not to get hopes up. I hate that the word 'maybe' comes out of his mouth so frequently. I dont care that the press are pushing for details, all it takes is a "no comment" when asked about something that may or may not make the cut. Specifically, the bit about weather really pisses me off. "Maybe, maybe not."
Ugh.
(and a preemptive 'fuck you' to anyone that wants to call me a GT troll, I defended the shit out of GT in Bish's FM3 versus GT5 thread.:D )

Dead Man

If there is a good track editor, which allows elevation changes, I would take a stab at Mt Panorama.
Edit: Shit, huge images, sorry.
Edit2: Replaced one with a smaller image
Mount_Panorama.jpg

Forestelbow.jpg

theignoramus said:
I dont care that the press are pushing for details, all it takes is a "no comment" when asked about something that may or may not make the cut.

I don't see how saying "no comment" is better than what he usually says. "No comment" in the gaming industry is basically acknowledging that something is going on but it's not something that can be discussed right now. He's very specific about what will be in the game, so you know what to expect. But he'll also tell you if they're working on something that could be in it. Nothing wrong with that.

Goldrusher said:
It's a flat, empty and boring Tilkedrome.
The lights and the penis-shaped hotel don't fool me.

Looks OK to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikvjwBEYk50

It's obviously not the bloody 'ring, but it's visually unique (amongst the GP tracks anyway) which surely is the antithesis of boring? I'm no Tilke fan either but this one seems to bring something new to the table, and it's certainly a lot more interesting to drive than many of the street circuits in the GT series.

Dead Man

endlessflood said:
Looks OK to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikvjwBEYk50

It's obviously not the bloody 'ring, but it's visually unique (amongst the GP tracks anyway) which surely is the antithesis of boring? I'm no Tilke fan either but this one seems to bring something new to the table, and it's certainly a lot more interesting to drive than many of the street circuits in the GT series.
My problem with it is that as ever, Tilke constructs his tracks with nothing but constant radius corners. It's like he has a protractor and nothing else when he design them.

Yoritomo said:
The low number of tracks seems odd considering WRC was supposed to be in the game I thought.

That's what I always thought too. With WRC and Nascar, doesn't that have to be at least 8-10 unique track locations combined for those modes alone ? I think the detectives have already got a list of around 10-15 confirmed tracks. 20+sounds too low and disappointing, but 70 seems too high, that's more than GT4. I hope and pray there are at least 30 unique venues + variations.

peetfeet

Fuck the (possible) track editor, I want a proper Grand Tourer experience.

I want to be able to drive from the center of London to Venice via the Swiss Alps (ala Top Gear), Road for road, tree for tree. 100 mile stages with (overnight stays). At the end of each day you can compare your trip, speeds etc with your mates and place bets on who will get to the next 'bar' first. Make it happen. Just imagine taking your car through the Alps, gorgeous.

Goldrusher

idahoblue said:
If there is a good track editor, which allows elevation changes, I would take a stab at Mt Panorama.
I remember a long time ago, Yamauchi hinted that it might be in the game.
(which is the same answer he gives to any "will xxx be in the game" question)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Goldrusher said:
I remember a long time ago, Yamauchi hinted that it might be in the game.
(which is the same answer he gives to any "will xxx be in the game" question)
Dude, if Yamauchi wanted he could release GT6 right now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
peetfeet said:
Fuck the (possible) track editor, I want a proper Grand Tourer experience.

I want to be able to drive from the center of London to Venice via the Swiss Alps (ala Top Gear), Road for road, tree for tree. 100 mile stages with (overnight stays). At the end of each day you can compare your trip, speeds etc with your mates and place bets on who will get to the next 'bar' first. Make it happen. Just imagine taking your car through the Alps, gorgeous.

That sounds more like a proper game by itself. You are looking at about 1000 miles. Something no game has been able to do well ever, not accurately anyway.

SmokyDave

AndyD said:
That sounds more like a proper game by itself. You are looking at about 1000 miles. Something no game has been able to do well ever, not accurately anyway.

Test Drive Unlimited was absolutely humongous. It wasn't quite in this vein but it was (and still is) a seriously impressive achievement. It's also a blast to drive along the coastal roads in cockpit view with the roof down.

Maybe a next gen Mille Miglia is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom