• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

rataplein

iceatcs said:
WOW
11gue7p.jpg

Translator guy in-game confirm.

That's a Megaton.

Dead Man

Goldrusher said:
I remember a long time ago, Yamauchi hinted that it might be in the game.
(which is the same answer he gives to any "will xxx be in the game" question)
Really? Not going to get my hopes up though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Iknos said:
Totally forgot about that track. :lol Oh the memories

http://i38.tinypic.com/2hrcy88.jpg[IMG]

I think this is the most impressive due to the lighting.[/QUOTE]

Too clean. Needs bugs splattered on the windshield and front bumper. Now that would be cool :lol Remember how in old GTs you had to wash the car from time to time to keep it shiny?

Iknos

TTP said:
Too clean. Needs bugs splattered on the windshield and front bumper. Now that would be cool :lol Remember how in old GTs you had to wash the car from time to time to keep it shiny?

I don't know if it was posted here but Kaz did mention not too long ago that GT5's graphics were "better than real life" for the reason that real life has all the dirtiness and gunk whereas GT shows off the cars in a pristine manner at ideal times of day.

And I'm sure they could also add that car wash feature with the GT5 engine. In the past it was just toning down the reflections on the car models. They can do that and add some decals around the wheel arches for disintegrated tire residue.

EazyB

Banned
That TT is making me all kinds of excited. Really has me consider selling my 360 wheel and getting one that works for both. $$$ :(

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Can't say I like that skyline. It's ugly infact, mainly the bumper kit (even if it's a real car). But damnnnnnnn PD...those shots look amazing.

mr_nothin said:
How awesome would it be if they let you drive in an environment like that...powersliding and doing donuts and such.

Then allowing you to capture all of that with videos and photos. Imagine the SEX!
DO IT PD!

Phreak47

jett said:
947.jpg

That is some fine background. That's some crazy detail in the windows/inside the buildings.

No shit... look at the bottom rows of windows on the right building and notice how there are vertical blinds in some of the windows, and they even have a natural uneven hang to them. That's just a beautiful and highly anal-retentive thing right there.

Edit: holy shit, I just zoomed this pic up 400% (thanks Firefox imagezoom addin!) and there's even more insanely minute detail in the buildings than you can even tell otherwise. It really looks like a real damn photograph. Try it everyone

Ploid 3.0

Iknos said:
I don't know if it was posted here but Kaz did mention not too long ago that GT5's graphics were "better than real life" for the reason that real life has all the dirtiness and gunk whereas GT shows off the cars in a pristine manner at ideal times of day.

And I'm sure they could also add that car wash feature with the GT5 engine. In the past it was just toning down the reflections on the car models. They can do that and add some decals around the wheel arches for disintegrated tire residue.

I'm pretty sure car wash will be back. Looking at the rally section of that e3 vid there's a lot of dirt on those cars. Maybe the reason GT5:p cars didn't get dirty is because it wasn't a complete GT and it didn't have a place to wash them anyway.

mr_nothin

Banned
Phreak47 said:
No shit... look at the bottom rows of windows on the right building and notice how there are vertical blinds in some of the windows, and they even have a natural uneven hang to them. That's just a beautiful and highly anal-retentive thing right there.

Edit: holy shit, I just zoomed this pic up 400% (thanks Firefox imagezoom addin!) and there's even more insanely minute detail in the buildings than you can even tell otherwise. It really looks like a real damn photograph. Try it everyone
It's just a texture...I dont see what's so special about the building to the right.

-Amon-

mr_nothin said:
It's just a texture...I dont see what's so special about the building to the right.

Take a look at how background buildings are made in any other racing game and you'll understand i think.

-Amon-

However, going back to the cars in the new pics, i'm thinking those are the result of tuning "normal" cars and not standalone models by themselves.

At least i'd like them to be.

Nachkebia

Banned
They totally get the light, looks astonishing, AA and polygons aside which depends on hardware, lights and textures are superb, closest real time computer generated imagery I have seen that comes to photo realism, applaud....

DarkJC

-Amon- said:
However, going back to the cars in the new pics, i'm thinking those are the result of tuning "normal" cars and not standalone models by themselves.

I wouldn't bet on it, personally.

-Amon- said:

The cars in those pictures are the previous SEMA GT Award winners. So it's nothing that's been done through an in game tuning system. What you're thinking of is much more likely with those cars in Prologue that were in the Concept by GT label. Anyway, Kaz confirmed at TGS that you'll be able to do visual customization in GT5.

-Amon-

SolidSnakex said:
The cars in those pictures are the previous SEMA GT Award winners. So it's nothing that's been done through an in game tuning system. What you're thinking of is much more likely with those cars in Prologue that were in the Concept by GT label. Anyway, Kaz confirmed at TGS that you'll be able to do visual customization in GT5.

I already knew about the customizazion part, was just hoping. I'm not that found of tuner's cars that you have to buy as they are. I'd prefer to buy the stock car and go to the tuner to buy the parts i want.

Iknos

-Amon- said:
Take a look at how background buildings are made in any other racing game and you'll understand i think.

PGR and Ridge Racer had the same sort of interior modeling and texturing of buildings were you could look inside them with even more variation and detail. The lightmaps of PGR were much better than RRs though and these pics show some great lightmaps as well. It could be why he wasn't too impressed but it's not just one aspect of these shots that make them impressive it's the whole cohesiveness of all these aspects.

mr_nothing the building on the VERY right is just a texture but there's plenty of geometry all over the place. There's a couple set of stairs and detailed trees. And the lightmaps on the building look great.

To me the visuals in GT5 are greater than the sum of it's parts. We can compare specific things about the game but it's really the consistency of the colors that make things look photographic.

And I don't think people here understand how hard that is to achieve. There are many 30fps racers out there with the benefit of high poly counts and excellent car models but they still can't get the same sort of photorealism in all aspects from cars and tracks to even skyboxes... And this has been true since the days of GT1. You had many racers on the PS2 that clearly had a better resolution and more polygons but they still weren't quite up to GT1/2.

Some of these pics demonstrate my point. Look at this screen:
http://i33.tinypic.com/zxno8m.jpg

And now look at this screen:
http://i38.tinypic.com/2hrcy88.jpg

I can imagine many developers being able to achieve the first shot. But can they put their asset into an engine and make it look like the second shot? And if they can...can they make the background look as good?

soundahfekz said:
all this and 60fps on a fucking 7600gt or similar.... wow!
On that subject... you know what would make my year, possibly even my half decade?

PD coming out and telling us that the game is going to be 60fps locked. It's the only real fly in the ointment of all these fantastic visuals as it stands. (I can't begin to tell you how much I hate tearing)

It looks like those that wanted a rewind function got their way (hopefully it's not featured in the GT mode)

How many cars will be on GT5?

I have never actually counted all the cars. I don't have a policy to count them all. We are aiming for 1,000 cars in GT5.

Will those be on the disc when you buy the game or will we have to download them from other sources?

They will all be on the disc.

How do you chose which cars get in the game?

There will be three types: cars we want, the cars the users would like to see in the game and then cars the manufacturers want in it.

Have any manufacturers paid to put their cars in the game?

There have been cases where they've shown that interest (in paying to play) but I don't think we've ever shown interest in (accepting money to include certain cars).

Wouldn't that be a profitable venture for you?

A lot of times it develops into a relationship where we collaborate to raise the level of the game.

Is GT5 more for the advanced player or can beginners play too?

We do have a setting for people who are just learning how to drive. The other setting is very strict, where even an F1 driver can learn new tricks from the system. However, a lot of driver's aids will be included, such as driving lines, ABS, automatic braking, you can reverse your game and record your laps and share them with others. All those things. They were not that difficult to implement.

What other features will GT5 have?

There will be 400,000 polygons per car, 100 times more than were present on GT4. GT4 had 4,000 polygons per car. You can customize and tune the cars, too.

You have NASCAR and WRC in the game. Does this include the complete list of all tracks in those series?

The NASCAR series is so large it would be impossible to put everything in the game. We will have select courses and select cars in the game. You will also be able to race the stock cars on a number of tracks not found on the NASCAR calendar. In speaking with NASCAR they said they'd like to see their cars able to race on other tracks, and you can do that (in GT5).

Will you have F1, ALMS or FIA GT?

We had a Ferrari F1 car in the game. For FIA GT and ALMS we won't have that in the series yet. But we will have a lot of cars that race at Le Mans, so in that sense there will be cars from ALMS.

What did GT5 cost to make?

He and translator do some figuring, converting yen to dollars) $60 million. There are other games that cost more. Considering the size and scale of the game I think it's probably a fairly small amount.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20091103/SEMA/911039983

Some good info in there though. Interesting that they've doubled the poly count per car since GT5P. Back then the average poly count per car was 200k and now they're at 400k.

Goldrusher

When will you release GT5?
Yamauchi: We will release it in March in Japan but for other regions, it has not been decided yet.

What's holding it up?
That's more depending on SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment America) marketing decisions.

Ugh. Just release it already.
Not everyone cares about Modern Warfare, Final Fantasy and God of War.

Goldrusher

And what the hell is this ?
Will any SEMA cars ever be in GT5?
It is possible.
Didn't they just release a batch of screens with "SEMA cars" or am I missing something here ?

How many racetracks do you have in GT5?
There are 20 different environments and around 70 different track layouts.
Now it's environments ?
What are environments ? Forest ? Desert ? Snow ? Jungle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom