• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goldrusher said:
Ugh. Just release it already.
Not everyone cares about Modern Warfare, Final Fantasy and God of War.

For America, GoW is obviously the issue with its release. February could be a possibility though. There's nothing from Sony coming in that month. So it'd get MAG and GoW3 breathing room.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Goldrusher said:
And what the hell is this ?
Didn't they just release a batch of screens with "SEMA cars" or am I missing something here ?

Now it's environments ?
What are environments ? Forest ? Desert ? Snow ? Jungle ?

Tokyo might be an environment, so would London, so would Nurburgring. Remember there is some translation going on, so environment may be a new translation of what was before location.

Also, it seems they are going for official licenses for various series, but while they cant have them yet, they will add the cars on a piecemeal basis.

I guess F1 or GT DLC packs could definitely come as the rights expand.

And it sounds like some srot fo reverse/rewind made its way in. I hope it stays in practice/arcade and not in full blown races.

SolidSnakex said:
For America, GoW is obviously the issue with its release. February could be a possibility though. There's nothing from Sony coming in that month. So it'd get MAG and GoW3 breathing room.

When is Heavy Rain? The Last Guardian would probably not be in Q1, but Heavy Rain could possibly be launched then.

iamcool388 said:
When is Heavy Rain? The Last Guardian would probably not be in Q1, but Heavy Rain could possibly be launched then.

HR still doesn't have a specific date as far as I know. And I wouldn't expect TLG until late next year. Ueda didn't even give a percentage of how much they had done at TGS.

Septimus

What other features will GT5 have?

There will be 400,000 polygons per car, 100 times more than were present on GT4. GT4 had 4,000 polygons per car. You can customize and tune the cars, too.
W...T...F?! Mind blown.

Polyphony Digital needs an English speaking community manager RIGHT NOW, this is seriously just getting ridiculous by now. They spend $60M on their game and cant employ a competent Community Manager who can communicate with the European and American fans?

They need someone like Ryan Payton immediately.

SmokyDave said:
It certainly read that way. I'm really not a fan of rewind, I hope there is an option to disable it.

He lists it along with the other driving aids, so there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to disable it like you would do with them.

$60 millIion is lower than I expected it to be. That doesn't include eventual marketing though right? Probably will be close to $100 when all things are said and done, still pretty low. How long has it been in development?

gogogow

jett said:
Could be.
I think it is, since Kazunori was talking about settings/features for beginners.
If the translator used the word "rewind", we wouldn't have to guess.

And GT5P shipped more than 3.90 million copies as of August 2009.
PD already made hundreds of millions in revenue even before GT5 is released.

criesofthepast said:
$60 millIion is lower than I expected it to be. That doesn't include eventual marketing though right? Probably will be close to $100 when all things are said and done, still pretty low. How long has it been in development?

5 years as of now. Same development time it took them with the original GT.

SolidSnakex said:
5 years as of now. Same development time it took them with the original GT.
Interesting. Some basic math:

110 employees x average salary of $35,000 x 5 years = $19,250,000.

Just a random guess on the average salary, I know Japan devs make less than they do in North America.

1/3 of the budget has gone towards employee wages. Where did the other $40,000,000 go?

criesofthepast said:
Interesting. Some basic math:

110 employees x average salary of $35,000 x 5 years = $19,250,000.

Just a random guess on the average salary, I know Japan devs make less than they do in North America.

1/3 of the budget has gone towards employee wages. Where did the other $40,000,000 go?

I would guess some would be used on visiting locations for mapping/Scanning, Testing the vehicles and such.

iamcool388 said:
Polyphony Digital needs an English speaking community manager RIGHT NOW, this is seriously just getting ridiculous by now. They spend $60M on their game and cant employ a competent Community Manager who can communicate with the European and American fans?

They need someone like Ryan Payton immediately.

I've been saying this, for like, forever.

Sadly, it won't be changed and i figured out a way to not be stressed about this: i will kind of forget about GT for a moment and only care about when it's close to release. Maybe it is is better to get into a game you like having surprises...

BeeDog

seattle6418 said:
I've been saying this, for like, forever.

Sadly, it won't be changed and i figured out a way to not be stressed about this: i will kind of forget about GT for a moment and only care about when it's close to release. Maybe it is is better to get into a game you like having surprises...

It's hard when all these pics keep popping up. :(

gogogow said:
av12812_0.gif
who is that?

-viper-

Banned
Rewind feature? That better stay out of GT mode, seriously.

Rewind should only be limited in a practise mode.

Rewind sucks unless you have a racer with a completely retarded driving model i.e. GRID.

cgcg

SolidSnakex said:
Some good info in there though. Interesting that they've doubled the poly count per car since GT5P. Back then the average poly count per car was 200k and now they're at 400k.

The final game will probably have only half a car racing around the track.

Goldrusher

LiquidMetal14 said:
20 environments /70 tracks sounds good. Not skimpy at all considering the 60M dollar budget.
It doesn't sound good and you know it.

UNLESS...

1. Belgium
  2. China
  3. France
  4. French Polynesia
  5. Germany
  6. Italy
  7. Japan
  8. Korea
  9. Monaco
  10. Portugal
  11. Spain
  12. Switzerland
  13. UK
  14. Arizona
  15. California
  16. Florida
  17. Indiana
  18. New York
  19. Washington
  20. Polyphonyland

And if you count everything in the USA as 1 location, you could even throw in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Portugal and the UAE.

-viper-

Banned
Goldrusher said:
It doesn't sound good and you know it.

UNLESS...

1. Belgium
  2. China
  3. France
  4. French Polynesia
  5. Germany
  6. Italy
  7. Japan
  8. Korea
  9. Monaco
  10. Portugal
  11. Spain
  12. Switzerland
  13. UK
  14. Arizona
  15. California
  16. Florida
  17. Indiana
  18. New York
  19. Washington
  20. Polyphonyland

And if you count everything in the USA as 1 location, you could even throw in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Portugal and the UAE.
That sounds a lot better.

SmokyDave

Fortinbras said:
Hopefully all the Forza 3 rewind 'critics' will shut up now. I look forward playing GT5 with rewind.

Are you crazy? I'm a Forza rewind critic and now I'm a GT5 rewind critic too. Shut up? I'm starting a leaflet campaign and printing up tee-shirts as I type.

Unless I can completely disable it, in which case I'll settle for knocking over a magazine rack.

Dead Man

SmokyDave said:
Are you crazy? I'm a Forza rewind critic and now I'm a GT5 rewind critic too. Shut up? I'm starting a leaflet campaign and printing up tee-shirts as I type.

Unless I can completely disable it, in which case I'll settle for knocking over a magazine rack.
Once again, just don't use it? Any lap where it is used would not count for leader boards, and it would not work for online modes, so just don't use it.

SmokyDave

idahoblue said:
Once again, just don't use it? Any lap where it is used would not count for leader boards, and it would not work for online modes, so just don't use it.

Ok, I'll try and explain this once more. I appreciate that the following is all my own fault and my own problem...

I cannot get over the psychological effect that having a permanent, unremovable "Undo fuck up" button on the pad has on me. When I race against the AI in single player career mode I feel no danger because I know if I get stuffed into a wall on the last lap I won't be able to resist using the button. If I could disable the button I'd be fine.

I hate it in Forza 3 and if it is in GT5, I'll hate that too.

Dead Man

SmokyDave said:
Ok, I'll try and explain this once more. I appreciate that the following is all my own fault and my own problem...

I cannot get over the psychological effect that having a permanent, unremovable "Undo fuck up" button on the pad has on me. When I race against the AI in single player career mode I feel no danger because I know if I get stuffed into a wall on the last lap I won't be able to resist using the button. If I could disable the button I'd be fine.

Gotcha. That sucks, since it looks like most racers from now on will have some from of rewind function. Maybe not, but it seems like you might be in the shit.

SmokyDave said:
Open your controller and take the back button out. :D

MrPliskin

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It means that you can customize your car, like putting on side skirts, spoilers ect.

I wouldn't jump the gun on this.

I think we'll see customization more along the lines of wheels and spoilers (and the color of the car).

One thing I do hope that Polyphony let's us do is pay money (in game) to change the color of cars after purchase. I never understood why I had to buy 5 different colors of the same car, instead of just one and then paying for a "paint job" to change the color whenever I wanted. I hated wasting credits for photo mode just to get different colors :(

SmokyDave

idahoblue said:
Gotcha. That sucks, since it looks like most racers from now on will have some from of rewind function. Maybe not, but it seems like you might be in the shit.

I know how FPS gamers feel about CoD fans now :(

As soon as I saw peeps in the Forza thread saying "I couldn't imagine playing a racer without rewind now" I knew where things were headed.

Psychotext said:
Open your controller and take the back button out. :D

Y'know, that's actually a really good suggestion! It isn't the feature I hate as much as the inability to turn it off. One backless pad coming up.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Interviewers need to step up their game, just ask clear questions ie:
Q1:Livery editor?
Q2:Track editor?
Q3:Rain?

mr_nothin

Banned
SmokyDave said:

Same way I feel...except for the Forza 3 part.
I hope its somewhere in the options and not embedded in the actual controls. I wouldnt be able to help myself if I fucked up. How many of you wouldnt use a rewind button in real life if you fucked up?

-Amon-

Fortinbras said:
Hopefully all the Forza 3 rewind 'critics' will shut up now. I look forward playing GT5 with rewind.

Why ? This is idea should be inplemented in motorstorm, or burnout games, not in driving sims.

And this is not going to change, it does not matter if it is in GT5 or Forza3 or next David Kaemmer sim is going to implement it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom