• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeDog

Psychotext said:
I don't think it'll have that sort of weather. But I think it'll have some sort.

You don't think they wouldn't show off weather in the E3 trailer if they had it in there? I'd say it's hoping for too much. At a stretch they might include day/night transitions (or simple time-of-day settings), if you factor in the "Top Gear" test track snippet in the trailer.

Melfice7 said:
Meh looking at this i'd say it won't have weather :<

That quote was taken from 2007. So there's no telling what they've been able to figure out since then. One of the first things Kaz mentioned that he wanted in GT5 was weather.

thejared

i'd guess no rain drops, and fancy stuff, but just like GT3 with the wet roads.

maybe theyll dry overtime though as the sun comes out though.

Iknos

Psychotext said:
I don't think it'll have that sort of weather. But I think it'll have some sort.

At the very least Special Stage Route 5 or 11 in wet form. Which I'm fine with.

Kaz should have checked out PGR4 it does a good job of changing the weather while you are racing. More importantly it does a good job of having deep puddles in some areas of the track and that affects your racing line and braking points. I'm sure Kaz would be interested in integrating that sort of stuff.

SolidSnakex said:
Yeah they did it. Kaz was asked if the customization was deeper this time around and he pulled up a Skyline model and pointed out how every part of the car is now individually modeled so that is now possible.

Didn't he also mention that he wants brand name parts as well? No more generic stuff.

thejared said:

maybe theyll dry overtime though as the sun comes out though.

They can have rain even without the stuff he mentioned. Other racers have rain without doing all of that. He's recently said that technically speak they can do anything they want now, but it comes down to timing.

Niks

image_gran_turismo_5_prologue-5964-1316_0043.jpg

image_gran_turismo_5_prologue-5964-1316_0042.jpg

Wax Free Vanilla said:
gimme the photomode now

Yes, the GT5 screenshot thread is going to be amazing!

Man I miss GT. Prologue was ok and all but I cant wait for license tests, complete track list for TT's, and all the other stuff that comes with GT. I hope online is up to standard though.

Psychotext said:
Pin the tail on the don... uhh, calendar.

I still expect it to be this fiscal year as Sony's E3 press release said. If it takes a few months longer to get something like weather in then so be it. I've waited this long anyway so a few more months won't hurt.

slider

SolidSnakex said:
I still expect it to be this fiscal year as Sony's E3 press release said. If it takes a few months longer to get something like weather in then so be it. I've waited this long anyway so a few more months won't hurt.

Yep, just don't stop to think about it too much. Can't wait to struggle with the licenses all over again. Now I'm gonna play Prologue having overlooked it for so long.

SolidSnakex said:

I agree that something like weather would be worth waiting for (I'd gladly wait longer for it and night racing to be in Forza, for example), but if it could possibly be added via a post-release content patch then I'd rather have the 'weatherless' version first.

You don't want a game to arrive with missing features, but if it was the difference between releasing before and after Xmas I'd consider it a no-brainer from a business standpoint.

Oblong Schlong said:
I agree that something like weather would be worth waiting for (I'd gladly wait longer for it and night racing to be in Forza, for example), but if it could possibly be added via a post-release content patch then I'd rather have the 'weatherless' version first.

You don't want a game to arrive with missing features, but if it was the difference between releasing before and after Xmas I'd consider it a no-brainer from a business standpoint.

I'd prefer waiting and getting the whole features for the game from the get go then getting something that's missing features that's patched later on.

RavenFox

Banned
Iknos said:
At the very least Special Stage Route 5 or 11 in wet form. Which I'm fine with.

Kaz should have checked out PGR4 it does a good job of changing the weather while you are racing. More importantly it does a good job of having deep puddles in some areas of the track and that affects your racing line and braking points. I'm sure Kaz would be interested in integrating that sort of stuff.

Didn't he also mention that he wants brand name parts as well? No more generic stuff.
Does not compute. He would not use that game to get an idea to implement that stuff anyway.

Goldrusher

kodt said:
Agreed, unlocking content gave it an RPG type progression which is why I really loved GT3.
BlueTsunami said:
I remember playing GT3 like a mad man and finally getting one of the F1 cars.
thejared said:
Dra-Q said:
Clubmaster Stage Route 5 was a blast in GT3.

7,140,000 GRAN TURISMO 3 A-spec (North America)
2,970,000 GRAN TURISMO 4 (North America)

Amazing. What a difference a bundle makes.

onijutsu

Banned
one thing i have been wondering about is the nascar mode, correct me if i am wrong but half the strategy of nascar involves tire management, involving stresses on the tires and changing to new tires and different compounds, and in the trailer they showed pit crews changing the tires when they were showing the nascar segment. They could of included nascar vehicles to just play around with, but they really showed a full nascar race.

i mean, it wouldn't be nascar without damadge and proper tire modelling, although i can't imagine doing hundreds of laps in a sitdown to actually have the time to do some realistic tire wear(well i could but since when have sports game been played in realistic time periods).

onijutsu said:
one thing i have been wondering about is the nascar mode, correct me if i am wrong but half the strategy of nascar involves tire management, involving stresses on the tires and changing to new tires and different compounds, and in the trailer they showed pit crews changing the tires when they were showing the nascar segment. They could of included nascar vehicles to just play around with, but they really showed a full nascar race.

i mean, it wouldn't be nascar without damadge and proper tire modelling, although i can't imagine doing hundreds of laps in a sitdown to actually have the time to do some realistic tire wear(well i could but since when have sports game been played in realistic time periods).

I don't think they got the WRC or NASCAR license just to say "Hey, look what we have". They've had rally racing in GT since GT2, it wouldn't make sense to go out and get the WRC license unless they planned on doing something signficant with it. The same goes for NASCAR. We won't know until they start discussing G5 more. But I think it's possible that WRC and NASCAR are separate modes from the GT mode. You go there to have full season races in them. Or perhaps they've restructured the old GT mode so that those two editions will fit right in. Either way, I don't think it's just something for them to brag about, I think they're planning big things for both of those licenses.

AndyD

aka andydumi
As to tire wear, they can accelerate wear and have a 50 lap race instead of 500. They have had that before and it is doable.

Have such a love/hate relationship with this franchise, especially in light of MS releasing a trilogy of excellent and progressive Forza games before GT5 proper. That GT5 is shaping up to be pretty epic makes the lack of a release date twice as irritating.

RavenFox

Banned
AndyD said:
As to tire wear, they can accelerate wear and have a 50 lap race instead of 500. They have had that before and it is doable.
I remember those races lol. I would take a nap half way through, wake up and proceed to go another 200. Tire management was very important for time and win.

Tonay

Banned
I'd like to mention that I thought the lighting in the track races in Dirt was more realistic (and beautiful, too) in Dirt than in GT5 Prologue. What's everyone elses views on this, would you say that GT5 Prologue has the best lighting in any game?

Tonay said:
I'd like to mention that I thought the lighting in the track races in Dirt was more realistic (and beautiful, too) in Dirt than in GT5 Prologue. What's everyone elses views on this, would you say that GT5 Prologue has the best lighting in any game?

GT5P definitely has the most impressive lighting and overall graphics I've ever seen next to Crysis. Every other video game I've seen that goes for a realistic look, outside of those two, ends up looking like rubbish.

Also, I really like the slick menu music in Prologue. Been listening to this recently:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PH8pU1oVEM

Hopefully it will be in GT5. So classy. Like walking into a five star hotel.

Goldrusher said:
7,140,000 GRAN TURISMO 3 A-spec (North America)
2,970,000 GRAN TURISMO 4 (North America)

Amazing. What a difference a bundle makes.

Wonder if GT5 will be heavily bundled like GT3 was. GT5P was bundled in EU and JP but not in the US.

H_Prestige said:
Also, I really like the slick menu music in Prologue. Been listening to this recently:

The only way it wouldn't be in is if they decided to compose a completely new soundtrack for GT5 rather than keeping GT5P's while adding some new songs to it. The menu music is the only GT music that I keep on, so I appreciate it not being some loud licensed shit.

thejared

H_Prestige said:
GT5P definitely has the most impressive lighting and overall graphics I've ever seen next to Crysis. Every other video game I've seen that goes for a realistic look, outside of those two, ends up looking like rubbish.

Polyphony exudes class, they give these beautiful machines the respect they deserve by being the only company in the business who models every component accurately and true to life. the only company in gaming that BILLION dollar car manufacturers come to when unveiling and developing cutting edge instruments and designs.

Polyphony are gods

SolidSnakex said:
The only way it wouldn't be in is if they decided to compose a completely new soundtrack for GT5 rather than keeping GT5P's while adding some new songs to it. The menu music is the only GT music that I keep on, so I appreciate it not being some loud licensed shit.

I agree.

thejared said:
Polyphony exudes class, they give these beautiful machines the respect they deserve by being the only company in the business who models every component accurately and true to life. the only company in gaming that BILLION dollar car manufacturers come to when unveiling and developing cutting edge instruments and designs.

Polyphony are gods

If Sony ever allows background music over the XMB, I can't think of a better tune to use than that.

dalin80

Banned
gt4 had a large array of music that you could choose track by track. pretty sweet.

i was playing gt1 last night and i really miss the atmosphere and music from that, gt4 and gt5p sound more like elevator jazz.

i hate jazz.

Dra-Q

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
Wonder if GT5 will be heavily bundled like GT3 was. GT5P was bundled in EU and JP but not in the US.

GT5 is Sony's game of the generation, they will bundle the fuck out of it. GT5P was even bundled with DualShock 3s in europe.

evilromero said:
Yes
Was discussed officially back in 2006 and then announced and shown in 2007. Am I in some twilight zone or something?

Took me a while to figure out you were quoting something I wrote over a month ago :lol

Anyway, that article you link to is talking about a preview shown for GT5P, not GT5.

evilromero said:
Yes
Was discussed officially back in 2006 and then announced and shown in 2007. Am I in some twilight zone or something?

While the trailer is certainly indicative of what Gran Turismo 5 in full will look like, it was actually set up to tease Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, the prequel of sorts that will give gamers a sizeable taste of the full Gran Turismo experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom