• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best sign that it'll be at gamescom is that GT5P had its full unveiling at GC in 2007. It was also the first time it was playable. Europe has the biggest GT fans so it makes sense to have the blowout there.

dalin80 said:
i thought gt5p's big reveal and demos was at tgs?

Nope, it was playable at GC

If you're going to play "the real driving simulator," Sony's spread at the German Games Convention is definitely the way to go. Several flat-screens are playing the game on the show floor, and in front of each TV is a Logitech steering wheel, bucket seat and a set of shiny gas, brake and clutch pedals.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/814/814720p1.html

thejared said:
i never understood your constant hating on this game while relentlessly pushing Ferrari Challenge. i kept asking myself, how can anyone "hate" Gran Turismo?

I said it had good handling, what more do you want? And the hate is directed at those pricks at Polyphony Digital for lack of improvement. The way some people on here defend them and their games is sickening.

Oh, and Ferrari Challenge is just better in all important aspects of a racing game. It's the best racing game on PS3.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
I said it had good handling, what more do you want? And the hate is directed at those pricks at Polyphony Digital for lack of improvement. The way some people on here defend them and their games is sickening.

I definitly agree on this. I still don't understand why GT could lack things that are in every other racing game... and we're not supposed to complain about it?

I absolutly love the GT franchise: but every iteration was disappointing as the core of the game has remained the same for 12 years now.

I really hope GT5 won't be about grinding forever... after hundreds of hours of GT, i just don't want and don't have the time anymore to do that.

I was a student when GT1 came out: i had all my time... now i m working , have a wife and a baby. Don't force me driving Fiat punto, Suzuki cappuccino, Prius for hours before getting a good car!

Give me ferraris and astons right from the start.

And damages btw.

And a good online mode (not that GT5P shit)

If they can deliver all this, then GT5 will definitly be the best racing game ever.

mr_nothin

Banned
cassiusclay99 said:
I definitly agree on this. I still don't understand why GT could lack things that are in every other racing game... and we're not supposed to complain about it.

I absolutly love the GT franchise: but every iteration was disappointing as the core of the game remains the same fore 12 years now.

I really hope GT5 won't be about grinding forever... after hundreds of hours of GT, i just don't want and don't have the time anymore to do that.

I was a
The only GT that's been disappointing was GT4.

How can anybody say lack of improvement from GT1 -> GT2 and no lack of improvement from GT2 -> GT3....

GT1 was almost arcade like with all the drifting.
GT2/GT3 was going from ps1 to ps2.
I dont think I should have to explain the jump from GT4 -> GT5:p

The only Gt that hasnt had "that much improvement" was GT4. They basically added more cars and tracks.

I'll end it here w/o going any deeper.

AndyD

aka andydumi
cassiusclay99 said:
I definitly agree on this. I still don't understand why GT could lack things that are in every other racing game... and we're not supposed to complain about it?

I absolutly love the GT franchise: but every iteration was disappointing as the core of the game has remained the same for 12 years now.

I was a student when GT1 came out: i had all my time... now i m working , have a wife and a baby. Don't force me driving Fiat punto, Suzuki cappuccino, Prius for hours before getting a good car!

And damages btw.

If they can deliver all this, then GT5 will definitly be the best racing game ever.

Heh, I hope its not the way you suggest and want. Career mode is there for a reason. Work your way up.

That said an arcade mode with a variety of easy and relatively quick unlockables is perfectly fine with me, but career will hopefully be career. We don't want inexperienced players online all in their GT 600hp cars on day 2 of buying the game. The point of all GT career modes was that it trained and taught you to play well.

And Mr_nothign above, you are right, but I think some people never played anything but 3 and 4. So their perception is based on only that.
I would venture to say relatively few people even on this board have been there from 1.

mr_nothin

Banned
cassiusclay99 said:

And damages btw.

The grinding is the best part about the GT series. I think it's what makes GT....GT.
It adds another element onto it. To take it away would take away some of the "reward-value". I want to win that race so bad because I really want that money to buy a better car.

I better stop because this is going to take me into one of my "devs are pacifying gamers more and more as the generations pass". I want to start from the ground and come out on top.

Civic to F1 Series is my moto for GT.

Sounds like you'd enjoy Forza more.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
grinding? what grinding?

in gt4, you could've dived right into the 'deep end of the pool' with the special event missions - at 10k a piece and no expenses for your own car whatsoever (vehicle provided by the mission), you'd be driving a racer in no time. and this is before we consider some 'high return' career races. heck, i was driving a jp gt car by the end of my 1st sitting in gt4. and i had not even read the damn faq's yet! in contrast, in the 'pick'n'play' nfs prostreet i was still on a golf rs32 after my first couple of days.

Facism said:
I didn't mean that in any derogatory way. It has that same feeling of wanting to get all the cars, you 'gotta catch em all.'
I completely agree... and it's actually something that has attracted some of us to the series.

JoJo13

Banned
I'd be very disappointed if they took the grinding element out of the game.

It's like a racing RPG. It's why the series got so big and why it's so addictive.

jett

D-Member
H_Prestige said:
If Sony ever allows background music over the XMB, I can't think of a better tune to use than that.

GT5 better fucking have custom soundtracks. The non-Masahiro Andoh licensed music is always crap in this series, I've had enough.

The japanese PS1 games had such classy soundtracks, both in-game and in the menu. It just gives GT a vibe and feel no other racing game has. It exudes pure class. At least since GT2 the western releases have kept the menu music...I guess that's something.

Custom soundtracks PD, plz. PLZ.

Ranger X

Wax Free Vanilla said:
Oh, and Ferrari Challenge is just better in all important aspects of a racing game. It's the best racing game on PS3.

iish, my eyes. Might be the best sim racer but hey, you're always the best when you're the only one! lol

AranhaHunter said:
:lol This is the 1st time I hear of a Gran Turismo - Pokemon comparison.

That comparison has actually been around since the PSone days. It's not used as much now, but back then GT was often referred to as a car RPG and the most obvious game comparison was Pokemon.

amar212

mr_nothin said:
The only GT that's been disappointing was GT4..

The only Gt that hasnt had "that much improvement" was GT4. They basically added more cars and tracks. ..

THis post best shows that you can say anything you want on the internet and live happily ever after.

GT4 introduced gameplay-wise:

- best physics in the series that far
- 900 force feedback wheel support
- B-Spec mode with true AI build-up
- PhotoMode
- Mission Races
- returned used cars sections
- A-Spec points as descriptive factor of car-performance related to the field
- implemented full "Ownership Philosophy" - besides old-school aspects of car-wash, mileage counter and oil change, every car had a "wear-algorytham" demanding for a Chasis Refreshment procedure after being driven by some mileage
- LAN races with option to exploit them via Kai and race online

etc.

But whatever.

SolidSnakex said:
That comparison has actually been around since the PSone days. It's not used as much now, but back then GT was often referred to as a car RPG and the most obvious game comparison was Pokemon.

Yes, I agree. But not many people today know many things GT related because many of them are just not into it for scuh a long time. I still describe GT series as "CARPG" in colocvial conversation, while Pokemon remains all-time-favorite comparation.

AranhaHunter said:
Amar, do you think we'll get more info at GC in Cologne?

I think we will :)

alba said:
Daiki Kasho is the fucking man so :D

He is.

amar212 said:

This is very important. Kaz has mentioned that GT4 represented the first major update in the series physics since the original. The engine was completely new rather than built of of one of an engine. While GT3 was also an upgrade, that was built off of GT2000 which was originally supposed to be Kaz's real vision for GT2 since he was disappointed in how it turned out, so it wasn't a completely new engine.

On another note, I was watching some old interviews with Kaz. In a GT2000 interview he mentioned the ability to customize your driver. It seems like GT5 could be the first game to allow that based on the GT5 trailer. There was one scene in there where a driver wasn't wearing a helmet, which is obviously different from what we saw with GT5P.

Grayman

SolidSnakex said:
This is very important. Kaz has mentioned that GT4 represented the first major update in the series physics since the original. The engine was completely new rather than built of of one of an engine. While GT3 was also an upgrade, that was built off of GT2000 which was originally supposed to be Kaz's real vision for GT2 since he was disappointed in how it turned out, so it wasn't a completely new engine.

On another note, I was watching some old interviews with Kaz. In a GT2000 interview he mentioned the ability to customize your driver. It seems like GT5 could be the first game to allow that based on the GT5 trailer. There was one scene in there where a driver wasn't wearing a helmet, which is obviously different from what we saw with GT5P.
Tourist Trophy had customizable riding gear and rider height.

mr_nothin

Banned
amar212 said:
THis post best shows that you can say anything you want on the internet and live happily ever after.

- 900 force feedback wheel support
- B-Spec mode with true AI build-up
- PhotoMode
- Mission Races
- returned used cars sections
- A-Spec points as descriptive factor of car-performance related to the field
- implemented full "Ownership Philosophy" - besides old-school aspects of car-wash, mileage counter and oil change, every car had a "wear-algorytham" demanding for a Chasis Refreshment procedure after being driven by some mileage
- LAN races with option to exploit them via Kai and race online

etc.

But whatever.

Yes, I agree. But not many people today know many things GT related because many of them are just not into it for scuh a long time. I still describe GT series as "CARPG" in colocvial conversation, while Pokemon remains all-time-favorite comparation.
Other than the bolded...the others arent that much of a change. It didnt feel much different too me, but i'm a dualshock (analog) driver....but i do not use analog for accel/brake.

The underlined part wasnt that important for me either...but there again, i'm a dualshock driver.

I was happy about the used cars returning though

I will be getting a wheel with gt5 though =]

But you're the GT guru so i'll shuttup and just wait for more winds to blow. :D

Saiyu

To be fair quite a few people preferred GT3's physics to GT4, and I suppose the feeling of disappointment with 4 was amplified by the lack of focus compared to the previous GTs.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Saiyu said:
To be fair quite a few people preferred GT3's physics to GT4, and I suppose the feeling of disappointment with 4 was amplified by the lack of focus compared to the previous GTs.

This can be said about any sequel in any series. There are always people who liked the "old way" better. Just look at any of the burnout threads for another example. :) In the case of GT3 to GT4 making the physics more realistic is not the same as making the physics more entertaining for everybody.

mr_nothin

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
This can be said about any sequel in any series. There are always people who liked the "old way" better. Just look at any of the burnout threads for another example. :) In the case of GT3 to GT4 making the physics more realistic is not the same as making the physics more entertaining for everybody.
Which is why I'll be sticking to "Standard" physics mode while using the controller.

Goldrusher

ke9szt.jpg

We can release it when we want,

20frrkl.jpg

but we can also keep fine tuning it forever.

All that means is that GT5 is "done" and that PD and Sony want to release it at the opportune moment (i.e. holiday season, cheaper slim ps3), rather than blow their biggest load right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom