• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5: Release date announcement incoming! THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

Juicy Bob said:
The new Stig will be a different character, as the persona of 'The Stig' was synonymous with the whole white suit and everything. The BBC probably want to do what WWE do to all their wrestlers who go to different companies and just pretend that they never existed. It's possible that the BBC Chris Benoit-ed Ben Collins and so maybe PD were forced into removing all references to 'The Stig' at the eleventh hour as a result.

If that really is why the game was delayed, I wish they'd just come out and say it.

If some silly character from a tv show is the reason... fuck videogames.

darkwing

Hanmik said:
ha ha....just called the shop. They were just informed that the magazine had a mis-print with the game.
So I asked the Clerk when the game will be in their shop then.. She Said..

We called the retailer this morning, they are saying it will not be in the shops before next year.

This is in the Faroe Islands btw..

wait, what does that mean , not this year?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SirIgbyCeaser said:
The Stig should be property of the BBC and not Ben Collins. So I hope after the fiasco is over, it might get patched in again.

Doubtful. :/

That said, if the Stig is gone, I'll be disappointed. The reveal of him in the original release date trailer + the Top Gear track had me interested in GT5 more than the actual races and cars. :/

Jilt

Juicy Bob said:
The new Stig will be a different character, as the persona of 'The Stig' was synonymous with the whole white suit and everything. The BBC probably want to do what WWE do to all their wrestlers who go to different companies and just pretend that they never existed. It's possible that the BBC Chris Benoit-ed Ben Collins and so maybe PD were forced into removing all references to 'The Stig' at the eleventh hour as a result.

If that really is why the game was delayed, I wish they'd just come out and say it.

I agree, but all the blame then would be put on the BBC and the former Stig.
I can't imagine that this would be the only reason for the delay, but I think it was one of them.

dwebo

darkwing said:
wait, what does that mean , not this year?
It just means the Faroe Islands missed the memo that said all new speculative release dates are required to be sooner than the last. Jeez, get with the program, game store clerk!

Jilt

TheSeks said:
Doubtful. :/

That said, if the Stig is gone, I'll be disappointed. The reveal of him in the original release date trailer + the Top Gear track had me interested in GT5 more than the actual races and cars. :/

Look at this, its gone allright:

First menu shots:
4997216830_e4a85e17cc_z.jpg

From latest vid's of specials:

top%20gear%20challenge%201.jpg

Jilt

SolidSnakex said:
That first Special Events menu screen was also just a mock up. So it's worth keeping that in mind.

True. But, as I said, there was a big point made out of the Stig Challenge in the press conference I attended.
Or are you trying to say that the stig is still in?

Senua

Gold Member
hey guys remember when perry mccarthy (black stig) left? they just got a new driver and changed the colour of the suit so they'll probably just do that again, maybe a grey stig!

Ravenn17

SolidSnakex said:
That first Special Events menu screen was also just a mock up. So it's worth keeping that in mind.

Wasn't Sebastian Vettel supposed to involved in special events under a "formula" category, or am I mistaken?

I was under the impression that the Stig Challenge would be exactly that - a one-on-one duel against the Stig. I know there may have not been a specific explanation of what the content of this Challenge would be but the video showing the Stig in the TVR suggested this. If it turns out that it's just a race on the Top Gear Test Track, and the Stig is nowhere to be seen then it's disappointing. Still, it'll be fun setting times on the Test Track all the same.

TheSeks

Fender_Uk said:
hey guys remember when perry mccarthy (black stig) left? they just got a new driver and changed the colour of the suit so they'll probably just do that again, maybe a grey stig!

They should just do multi-colored versions of the Stig. It's not like the BBC/Top Gear hasn't done that in Season/Series 16 anyway.

I find the "delay being due to the Stig controversy" absolutely batshit insane if true, but knowing the BBC it is possible. :|

I don't think anyone but the BBC really cares about the Stig's identity. Sure, the "mystery" is gone, but he's just a character. (Well, a character on the show. An actual "person" in driving.)

Goldrusher said:
Why would he have level 1 events ?

Some say his GT level is over 9000...?

Senua

Gold Member
TheSeks said:
They should just do multi-colored versions of the Stig. It's not like the BBC/Top Gear hasn't done that in Season/Series 16 anyway.

I find the "delay being due to the Stig controversy" absolutely batshit insane if true, but knowing the BBC it is possible. :|

I don't think anyone but the BBC really cares about the Stig's identity. Sure, the "mystery" is gone, but he's just a character. (Well, a character on the show. An actual "person" in driving.)

Some say his GT level is over 9000...?
well i wouldnt be surprised if people actually thought the stig was a unhuman driving machine, a lot of people thought the stig was actually schumacher so yea people are dumb

Goldrusher said:
Or The Stig will arrive later in the game...
Why would he have level 1 events ?

When you click on the Top Gear Special Event they list 3 difficulties. You need to be Level 4 to play Beginner and Level 8 to play Intermediate. But for the hardest difficulty you need to be Level 19. He never scans over the hardest difficulty so it's possible that The Stig is the main challenge for that Special Event. It makes more sense that way rather than having him in races where he'd be easy to beat.

Jilt said:
Look at this, its gone allright:

First menu shots:
4997216830_e4a85e17cc_z.jpg

From latest vid's of specials:

top%20gear%20challenge%201.jpg

If you look at it that way, and the wording for the karting experience changed. Rally is different too.

Maybe the stig is still in the game. It's just different. Anybody able to confirm if reviewers have had their copies on GT5 yet?

Anyway, did anybody notice the Numbers at the top? Maybe the stig is the 4th challenge and the player in the game hasn't unlocked it yet.

Ashes

Banned
Fender_Uk said:
well i wouldnt be surprised if people actually thought the stig was a unhuman driving machine, a lot of people thought the stig was actually schumacher so yea people are dumb

wait, he's not schumacher! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! gee thanks for ruining top gear for me buddy. who is he then? it's not the stunt driver who made the jump to fifth gear is it? :p

Senua

Gold Member
Ashes1396 said:
wait, he's not schumacher! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! gee thanks for ruining top gear for me buddy. who is he then? a stunt driver who has made the jump to fifth gear?
u dum

dwebo

SirIgbyCeaser said:
Anyway, did anybody notice the Numbers at the top? Maybe the stig is the 4th challenge and the player in the game hasn't unlocked it yet.
Yeah, I just noticed it too. The missing special event from the TGS pic is the Grand Tour, which I'm actually kinda excited about. The youtube of the final build special events wasn't missing any numbers.

Jilt said:
I would like to believe...:D
That'd work too. Final Top Gear challenge is to beat a blind man around the track! :lol

TheSeks

Fender_Uk said:

The appeal of the Stig mystery was trying to find out who the "inhuman" driver was. That said, the mystery being gone, I still like the Stig character and will continue to watch TopGear even if the "Stig that's been there since Season 3(?)"/2000 is gone. It's just crazy how that situation diffused just because the dude got tired of having to be secretive (driving to work everyday under a bunch of layers so the media doesn't get wind of your true identity has to be really draining and tiring after a bit) and not being paid as much despite the fact his "character" is probably the most popular in the show is a shame.

SolidSnakex said:
When you click on the Top Gear Special Event they list 3 difficulties. You need to be Level 4 to play Beginner and Level 8 to play Intermediate. But for the hardest difficulty you need to be Level 19. He never scans over the hardest difficulty so it's possible that The Stig is the main challenge for that Special Event. It makes more sense that way rather than having him in races where he'd be easy to beat.

NO! MY STIG CHALLENGING AND BEING BEATEN BADLY AT LEVEL 1 AND CRYING MYSELF TO SLEEP BECAUSE I'LL NEVER BE THE "STIG!" D: ;____; Hopes and dreams of this shattered.

Man, GT5 is going to make me cry with how much I suck at race driving for some of the things I want to do in it. :/

Final Top Gear challenge is to beat a blind man around the track!

So, he'll be driving a Lexus and slams into a wall at the start giving me an easy win? Sounds like Top Gear alright! :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
new stig is still white, they had a 'stig farm' youtube clip around a little while ago. Makes sense as they have so much merchandise on sale with white stig.

But yeah, it'd be hilariously stupid if it got delayed to pull stig references, especially if in the end the stig is exactly the same on Top Gear.

The talk of stig and the silence of sony got me thinking...

What if sony is being held back because of legal limbo? The BBC and Ben Collins might be in a lawsuit that is holding sony from announcing a release date.

The game is done, the game is in printing, but until sony, the bbc, and Ben collins can't get their shit straight, sony can't publish a marketing campaign.

Oozinator

Banned
Hi GAF,

Any close-up shots of the items that come with the Collector's edition especially the "Digital GT-branded stainless steel key chain" ?

I'm mostly interested in the APEX book, so I might just buy the standard edition and get the book from eBay.

TheSeks

SirIgbyCeaser said:
The game is done, the game is in printing, but until sony, the bbc, and Ben collins get their shit straight, sony can't publish a marketing campaign.

I seriously doubt the delay is the Stig. Like I said before, that just seems absolutely batshit insane if that turns out to be the case. The Stig is a character that is owned by the BBC. The reveal of the person playing that character/the driver shouldn't be an issue with GT5/merchandisers of the character.

Buuuuuut it is the BBC...

That said, I don't think the 3.50 SDK angle is too true either, given how games that "want to run 3.50" on jailbroken PS3's are able to run there. CoD7: BO wanted 3.50 to run, but that's been cracked to run on 3.15/3.41.

I say the delay has to have been because of some bug in the game that got past QA. There's really no reason for Sony to suddenly pull the game 3-4 days before it's release unless they didn't have discs printed and shipped to stores in October. :|

Edit: Of course, this is the Sony that did pull LittleBigPlanet 1's initial printing for a week or three to reprint the game due to a copyright/whatever song in the game.

Juicy Bob said:

What do you mean a different character? There was a Black Stig before the White Stig, and they still just called them The Stig. The new Stig will still be called The Stig

Also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs5MGJmz4Ao

hirokazu

Oozinator said:
Hi GAF,

Any close-up shots of the items that come with the Collector's edition especially the "Digital GT-branded stainless steel key chain" ?

I'm mostly interested in the APEX book, so I might just buy the standard edition and get the book from eBay.
There are no US CEs leaked, so nothing about the keychain or what. The copies out there are just the EU CE game itself without any of the CE bonuses - possibly taken from direct from BD plant before it was bundled with the rest of the CE content.

hirokazu

TheSeks said:
That said, I don't think the 3.50 SDK angle is too true either, given how games that "want to run 3.50" on jailbroken PS3's are able to run there. CoD7: BO wanted 3.50 to run, but that's been cracked to run on 3.15/3.41.
If the rumours are true, Black Ops isn't compiled against SDK 3.50, it just does a check for it before it boots, whereas GT5 is compiled for 3.50 and would try to access system calls that don't exist in lower firmware.

There was never any supporting evidence of this though, so the only way to verify is to wait and see how the game fares once it's out and pirates are having a crack at it.

Also, the game was delayed about two weeks before release, not 3-4 days. Whether they had thing discs pressed and ready to ship is unknown, but it's unlikely that it had already shipped to stores before the delay.

No45

SirIgbyCeaser said:
The Stig should be property of the BBC and not Ben Collins. So I hope after the fiasco is over, it might get patched in again.
It IS the property of the BBC, but they (the Beeb AND the Top Gear crew) seemed so burned by what he did I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone from the show somehow for the next series.

No45 said:
It IS the property of the BBC, but they (the Beeb AND the Top Gear crew) seemed so burned by what he did I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone from the show somehow for the next series.
See two posts up.

Juicy Bob

Metalmurphy said:
What do you mean a different character? There was a Black Stig before the White Stig, and they still just called them The Stig. The new Stig will still be called The Stig

Also

Yeah I know. Probably didn't put it as well as I could've done. What I reckon is that as 'White Stig' was so successful, having 'New Stig' act in the exact same way as him probably won't work as well because everyone knows it's not the same bloke anymore and the persona won't be as effective. I think they might try and give him minor characteristics to help separate him from the Collins persona while keeping him fundamentally 'Stig-ish'. A bit like when they change James Bond actors.

EDIT: Having just watched that video, though, I'm probably wrong.

Senua

Gold Member
Juicy Bob said:
Yeah I know. Probably didn't put it as well as I could've done. What I reckon is that as 'White Stig' was so successful, having 'New Stig' act in the exact same way as him probably won't work as well because everyone knows it's not the same bloke anymore and the persona won't be as effective. I think they might try and give him minor characteristics to help separate him from the Collins persona while keeping him fundamentally 'Stig-ish'. A bit like when they change James Bond actors.

EDIT: Having just watched that video, though, I'm probably wrong.
the stig never acted in any way really he either just drove or stood around

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Jilt said:
This was posted already I guess, but the Stig Challenge disappeared. Could that be the reason for the delay of GT5?

I was at a press conference of GT5 the 13th of October and they stated that the Stig Challenge was in. The same day the news came out of the delay.
Right then and there they could not answer how the troubles with the Stig in real live, would translate into the game.

I think it was Amar (am i right?) who stated that the delay was not due to the 3.50 update.

Probably the reason why the Stig (Ben Collins) is seen in a NFS commercial.. :D

That could be the doings of Microsoft and Forza since they signed a rather big deal with Top Gear recently.

Corto

Metalmurphy said:

Also

That is fucking brilliant... Hilariously brilliant! This show writers deserve their weight in gold!

Also:

maystigg3.gif

:lol

Arrrrghhhh Beaten like a mule
stig
by metalmurphy.

eso76

no customizable rims on standard cars doesn't really bother me, i don't plan on purchasing one anyway (well, except the one i'll be forced to buy as my first ride in A spec)

But wait...Clio Sport is in, but no Renault Megane Coupe ? : (

renault-megane-coupe.jpg

aw

saladine1

eso76 said:
no customizable rims on standard cars doesn't really bother me, i don't plan on purchasing one anyway (well, except the one i'll be forced to buy as my first ride in A spec)

But wait...Clio Sport is in, but no Renault Megane Coupe ? : (
Like I said, it's not the biggest deal but there are 800 or so standard vehicles and i'm in the group that will use these cars. I just hope that they won't be limited too much when it comes to customization/upgrades/tuning as opposed to the premiums.

Ainigma

Neo Member
Sony Rep for our local Game/Gamestation (In the UK) is guessing at 3rd December Release, no one know's why he's guessing that date though???

Also in the New Gamestation Christmas Catalogue GT5 is no where to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom