• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 set to release on November 2nd [S-CONF]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woo-Fu

Banned
TheThunder said:
Still doesn't make sense to spend all that time recreating tire smoke and tire dust and yet not Tire marks on asphalt roads !!

Does skid marks take a huge amount of ram or something, it just boggles my mind !!

Particle effects are fleeting, decals stack up, particularly in the memory footprint of a console.

The answer is to FIFO them but then people would just complain about disappearing skidmarks. It is one of those damned if they do, damned if they don't situations, and they went with don't this time.

Dat gif!

DOBERMAN INC said:
I would love it if they could implement some kind of course training mode, like if we could select a track and then a corner from the track then practice that corner until you feel you have it down.

I know licenses work in similar ways but I think it could be a nice inclusion.Or even a walk mode so you can just view the track.

Would a rewind button suit your needs?;)

dalin80

Banned
Seanspeed said:
Yea, its been a while since playing a GT game, but I thought I remembered them already doing this, too, so I'm not sure that this is big news or anything.

Very true. Its one of the things that still keeps these games seperated from the 'real' simulators, like rFactor, Live for Speed, iRacing, GTR, etc. Surprisingly, I also felt that braking was one area where NFS:Shift actually shined, so I really think that the devs of Forza and GT make a very considered choice to keep braking distances kinda short, rather than them just not having 'mastered' that aspect yet or have some limitations due to hardware or something.

When GT4 was released it was heavily criticized for having too long braking distances, many threads were spawned on gtplanet about cars with what were considered too weak braking and the effects of locked wheels under braking.

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58993

just the one of literally hundreds of threads that came up on a search.

spats

PjotrStroganov said:
Would a rewind button suit your needs?;)

Lifejacket_shark.gif

Yoboman

Gold Member
SolidSnakex said:
Yeah you can see an option for that there

2llllb4.jpg
I seriously hope the online works well. I'm hoping for integration that would make the likes of Bungie blush... Is that unrealistic?

SolidSnakex said:
There's got to be more to why they went through the trouble of simulating something like that than just smoke effects.

All will be forgiven if the gameplay is king. Flat tires, tire flex and reasonable tire/fuel wear should be in. They can miss this oportunity if they already went crazy with the calculations.

Also, i believe we are very close to dynamic weather. Would do wonders to wipe off the bad taste left in the minds of many after this standard thing.

Last night i felt like going back to GT4 to remember how it was. After being used to Prologue, it looks and plays like shit. Handling is way too twitchy for the sixaxis, and the graphics are just very rough.

That was good to give a bit of perspective. Comparing that to the E3 2006 demonstration, i really believe that the standard cars will not look bad in GT5. People crying about need to play GT4 again, and then see the videos of Vision GT and GH HD Classic.

I was disappointed, sure, but i soon realised it was not the end of world and most importantly, i want to drive a lot of those GT4 cars with updated physics.

Goldrusher said:
But where's the burning rubber ?!

It's, i always thought those jokes about things like skidmarks were stupid, but right now it looks like PD is just being hard ass about it.

Really, how hard could it be?

I just wish they just implemented and put an end to this silly complain.

Mobius 1

Yoboman said:
I seriously hope the online works well. I'm hoping for integration that would make the likes of Bungie blush... Is that unrealistic?

I wouldn't expect the same level of online experience polish. Bungie has an absurd amount of experience on that field, Polyphony has not. It doesn't mean they can't do something special, but I'm not expecting much until I see it.

I wish they released more screens of the menu system. Looks pretty :D

Yoboman

Gold Member
Norante said:
I wouldn't expect the same level of online experience polish. Bungie has an absurd amount of experience on that field, Polyphony has not. It doesn't mean they can't do something special, but I'm not expecting much until I see it.

I wish they released more screens of the menu system. Looks pretty :D
Setting up a whole studio to get it right gives me a little reason to have faith. It doesn't seem at all like they are treating it like a secondary feature as most Japanese developers do

Wazzim

Banned
seattle6418 said:
It's, i always thought those jokes about things like skidmarks were stupid, but right now it looks like PD is just being hard ass about it.

Really, how hard could it be?

I just wish they just implemented and put an end to this silly complain.
It isn't silly, making a game so good looking with all details but forgetting the skidmarks is just stupid.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Obviously PD are leaving all the little detail till the end now that they are realising what overhead they have left after putting in damage, day/night cycles and weather. Skidmarks would be a nice little bit of attention to detail, but I'll take smoke and particle effects first

Wazzim said:
It isn't silly, making a game so good looking with all details but forgetting the skidmarks is just stupid.

I agree, silly in a sense that it's such a small and easy feature that shouldn't be an issue.

Hey, they caved in and put reverse lights, so i know they keep attemtion to the things we bitch about.

However, if i had to choose, skidmarks would probably be my 975th priority. Doesn't really matter, it's just a small touch.

Cigol

People who continue to cry for tire marks just don't get it - I always wanted them in iRacing and it wasn't until I got them that I suddenly realised how pointless (and potentially costly in performance) they are. The more important effects are smoke and dust particles. Smoke from locking up tires, dust particles from cars going off track. When both these were added to the same patch that included tire marks in iRacing, the impact was immediate. They really added a lot to the experience, not just visually but in terms of understanding more about what was going on with the cars around you. More than I ever imagined they would. Whereas the disappearing tire marks... I honestly forget they are even included since they are that pointless.

I totally understand where people come from in wanting them, but since my experience with iRacing not having them, and then getting them, my opinion is they are a waste of time - especially until they have realistic properties and don't disappear so suddenly.

If skid marks didn't stack up and disappeared every lap I don't see how that could hurt performance. However, 16+ online and skidding left, right and centre? That's another matter. I'd like 'em but I can live without them.

@Toxa
That's....pretty damn good.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SolidSnakex said:
One of the most interesting gamescom announcements will be about this

It's pretty cool that they're going to extra mile with the Top Gear license. I was just expecting them to include the track which would've been fine.
I want the reasonably priced car to be fitted with a bunch of sensors, then the celebrity laps get uploaded to GT5 for you to race against

Originally Posted by DOBERMAN INC:
I would love it if they could implement some kind of course training mode, like if we could select a track and then a corner from the track then practice that corner until you feel you have it down.

I know licenses work in similar ways but I think it could be a nice inclusion.Or even a walk mode so you can just view the track.
As long as all races include a practice and/or a qualifying option than it's all good. My biggest complaint of other racing games is the lack of practice/qualifying before you start a race. In fact I loved Practise in GT4 so much I'd try and best my time again and again, for as long as possible before I even started the race.

Slackbladder said:
Originally Posted by DOBERMAN INC:

As long as all races include a practice and/or a qualifying option than it's all good. My biggest complaint of other racing games is the lack of practice/qualifying before you start a race. In fact I loved Practise in GT4 so much I'd try and best my time again and again, for as long as possible before I even started the race.

I would prefer a sunday driving type mode, where you can just drive and sit there and such.

Firewire

Banned
In one of the press releases they mentioned something about a driving school. Didn't sound like it was part of the license's either.

That should help the new comers.

Firewire

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
I would prefer a sunday driving type mode, where you can just drive and sit there and such.

Track Day is for you then. Just race around and talk with others. Hopefully some of the more experienced can help you with tips. It isn't a race so there isn't any pressure to get things right.

saladine1

Firewire said:
In one of the press releases they mentioned something about a driving school. Didn't sound like it was part of the license's either.

That should help the new comers.
Honestly, even though I'm not a newcomer, I'll still enjoy this.
What I love about Kaz and PD, is that they truly love and cherish all things automotive, especially the hitorical stuff which I love to death. They make you feel involved in all aspects of the automotive/racing industry: License tests, historical info, dev videos, nostalgia, rare motors..etc and now this driving school.
PD has always had this magic something when it comes to 'involvement' which no other game has yet to really emulate imo..

dalin80

Banned
oh god, the opening to GT1 still gives me goosebumps, i was just a casual gamer until then and that game was just a holy kick to the face of awesome.

Firewire

Banned
saladine1 said:
Honestly, even though I'm not a newcomer, I'll still enjoy this.
What I love about Kaz and PD, is that they truly love and cherish all things automotive, especially the hitorical stuff which I love to death. They make you feel involved in all aspects of the automotive/racing industry: License tests, historical info, dev videos, nostalgia, rare motors..etc and now this driving school.
PD has always had this magic something when it comes to 'involvement' which no other game has yet to really emulate imo..

Yeah I just love how PD approaches racing. They go well beyond others when it comes to teaching people about racing and car history. I'm very happy that they are continuing that and even expanding on it.

I've got thousands of hours logged in the GT series so I'm not in the need for a driving school, but I'll be giving it a spin regardless. I would suggest that all new comers take advantage of it as well as really focusing on the license's.

One thing I hope that PD does is teach more about car tuning. It's the one area that I always felt was lacking from an educational standpoint in GT.

saladine1

Firewire said:
Yeah I just love how PD approaches racing. They go well beyond others when it comes to teaching people about racing and car history. I'm very happy that they are continuing that and even expanding on it.

I've got thousands of hours logged in the GT series so I'm not in the need for a driving school, but I'll be giving it a spin regardless. I would suggest that all new comers take advantage of it as well as really focusing on the license's.

One thing I hope that PD does is teach more about car tuning. It's the one area that I always felt was lacking from an educational standpoint in GT.
I don't know how viable this idea is, but I would love for GT or any future racing game for that matter,to be able to actually show what upgrade or tune does what, in a video sequence of some kind, instead of just words.
This will inevitably stem the flow of 'how do you' and 'what does' threads on the forums and at the same time, expand on their 'involvement' I was talking about earlier.

saladine1 said:
I don't know how viable this idea is, but I would love for GT or any future racing game for that matter,to be able to actually show what upgrade or tune does what, in a video sequence of some kind, instead of just words.
This will inevitably stem the flow of 'how do you' and 'what does' threads on the forums and at the same time, expand on their 'involvement' I was talking about earlier.
I had an idea where you pay a mechanic to tune your car for you. You take it for a spin and they will tune it depending upon your wishes. If you say it oversteers too much they adjust it, maybe with an option of a % of understeer etc. Just like real life. I mean drivers rarely physically tune their cars. But I don't think it could be implemented. Maybe it'd make tuning too easy.
I hope there are more tuning options. And I hope there's telemetry too. Real time tuning would be good too. I don't want to go in and out of the pits just to make the odd change to my suspension etc. Yes it's realistic, but I've only got so much time to spend on gaming and I'd lose so much pitting all the bloody time. I'll already be spending bloody hours tuning! :lol
Oh well, we'll see.

-viper-

Banned
Slackbladder said:
I had an idea where you pay a mechanic to tune your car for you. You take it for a spin and they will tune it depending upon your wishes. If you say it oversteers too much they adjust it, maybe with an option of a % of understeer etc. Just like real life. I mean drivers rarely physically tune their cars. But I don't think it could be implemented. Maybe it'd make tuning too easy.
I hope there are more tuning options. And I hope there's telemetry too. Real time tuning would be good too. I don't want to go in and out of the pits just to make the odd change to my suspension etc. Yes it's realistic, but I've only got so much time to spend on gaming and I'd lose so much pitting all the bloody time. I'll already be spending bloody hours tuning! :lol
Oh well, we'll see.
I'm going with the easy route - GTPlanet tunes. They are always usually very good.

offshore said:
Someone who speaks Japanese should tweet Kaz and ask him what the music in the trailer is.

I think Kaz said something about it in 3 or 4 tweets. google translator was a bit rough but from what I could tell he was saying that he also didn't know the name and was trying to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom