• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 set to release on November 2nd [S-CONF]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon's launch day shipping is a force to be reckoned with ;)

Though nothing beats a brick and mortar midnight launch :D

ps: Amazon still doesnt have the CE up >_<

MDJCM

Melfice7 said:
2m76y51_th.jpg
:lol

Man

rvy said:
Except the release date.
They have a European car on the boxart for the first time.

PS Move is releasing first in Europe.

The big GT5 unveil is in Europe GDC in August.

I say... October 26th.

Az

Man said:
They have a European car on the boxart for the first time.

PS Move is releasing first in Europe.

The big GT5 unveil is in Europe GDC in August.

I say... October 26th.

If that's right then my source would have been right for October 26th. We'll see.

plainr_

Any word or hints about a livery editor? Not really my thing but I love the dedication people put into this on other games.

Zaptruder

Banned
I dunno if you guys managed to get some clarification on how head tracking works... if not, I think this provides it... I mean as far as some words on the official features list can provide it.

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5247p7.html

The other major feature is a unique face tracking function using the USB PlayStation®Eye camera attached to the PlayStation®3. By utilizing facial recognition through the PLAYSTATION®Eye, players can move their face to the left and right to move the in-game field of vision while driving in a race.

3D and face tracking are both attractive features by themselves, but combined together, they make the world of Gran Turismo 5 an even richer place. By moving your face parallel to the screen, you can change your point of view (field of view), adding to the immersive feeling that you are driving inside the car.

So that means you'd be shifting your head from side to side, without turning it.

Hopefully they'll have a decent calibration system as well.

spwolf

evolution said:
While not realistic, that solution may work well in a game environment. Can't wait to try it out.

how do you mean not realistic? It cant be realistic at all, otherwise you would not be able to see the TV anymore ;-).

It is basically an head gesture. Actually i think you will be able to do turn of the head, just that lean works better (Richard Marks said that recently).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I wear headphones while playing... I really prefer an option to clip something onto them like with TrackIR so games can use tilt & turn. It feels natural to me now, it'd be weird tilting to turn.

I want this in shooters so bad you have no idea. All this emphasis on motion gaming this gen and (imo) it all sucks. The coolest thing (the one thing I wanted from the camera craze) is headtracking and no one does it but PC games!

Still... anything is better than nothing. Glad to have some type of implementation in GT5.

Empty

i haven't really been following the media on this game, mainly as i don't really need to given i know i'm buying it day 1 already, but i'm curious, is there any footage of the top gear test track in GT5, and which trailer do i need to watch to see it?

evolution

spwolf said:
how do you mean not realistic? It cant be realistic at all, otherwise you would not be able to see the TV anymore ;-).

It is basically an head gesture. Actually i think you will be able to do turn of the head, just that lean works better (Richard Marks said that recently).
it was more of a comment about how we'll be leaning into the turn in the game versus how it kinda works the opposite way in real life. Looking back it kinda came out wrong lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Empty said:
i haven't really been following the media on this game, mainly as i don't really need to given i know i'm buying it day 1 already, but i'm curious, is there any footage of the top gear test track in GT5, and which trailer do i need to watch to see it?

Newest trailer has a pretty long segment (compared to everything else) of the TGTT.

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Amazon's launch day shipping is a force to be reckoned with ;)

Though nothing beats a brick and mortar midnight launch :D

ps: Amazon still doesnt have the CE up >_<

Im not a car enthusiast so I dont need the artbook*, but I dont know if I should preorder from Amazon now for 54.00 or wait for them to add a $10-$20 promotion then preorder then, lol.

*car enthusiasts handbook and guide

Zaptruder

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
Im not a car enthusiast so I dont need the artbook, but I dont know if I should preorder from Amazon now for 54.00 or wait for them to add a $10-$20 promotion then preorder then, lol.

It's not an art book.

It's more like a automotive guidebook of history and driving techniques among other things.

gamelova

SolidSnakex said:
Hold out on buying a wheel for awhile. They're always putting them on sell. For example, a few weeks ago some site (I think Best Buy) randomly decided to sell the G27 (Logitech's new uber wheel) for $150.

Is there anyway I can find out immediately if there is a deal on that wheel or any other high quality wheel for this game. I want a really good one for $100, brand new. Slick deals never really shows deals on these wheels and I want to be alerted when there is a sale on one for a really good price.

Iknos

SolidSnakex said:
The people that ruin the experience for others aren't the people that are new to the game it's the people that go out of their way to crash into others.

People that are new to racing do ruin it for others. Honest mistakes from inexperience can still create clusterfucks. There are some etiquette that new racers need to learn. How to get safely back onto a track when going off track or in the pits for example.

There are a few announced features that should mitigate that.

Track day will allow inexperienced drivers to get tips from experienced drivers all while on the track.

Practice laps and qualifying laps before races can get new racers familiar with the car and track before hopping into a real race. They will get a general feel for the brake points and how the car handles.

Inexperienced drivers have a lot of trouble with getting used to different vehicles that behave very differently. A guy can drive a Skyline for 30 laps on a track and then get into an Elise and will have troubles despite it being the same track. Doing even a couple of practice laps will give inexperienced drivers a chance to do decently well in a real race in a brand new car.

The game still needs a proper hood cam. The E3 one was too high. I can live without cockpits but not this.

Ranger X

-viper- said:
i.e. premium NSX and Evo cockpits could be applied to all standard variants of said cars.

Actually I doubt its how they worked out their game. The cockpit view is litterally a camera placed inside the cockpit that is always there, regardless the view you use.
Unless those cockpits are detachable parts that can appear/disappear during gameplay, I doubt we will see that. Also, it's already wierd to have 2 "types" of cars, this would create third kind. Now that would be really wierd.

Yoboman

Gold Member
GT5's tracks have taken so long because they're all based on real world locations, and would've taken a lot of time to get those details right. Fantasy tracks should be able to be built really quickly though

UFRA

Can't freakin' wait for this. :D

I got GT5 for $12 with release-day delivery for free. All thanks to a sweet deal from GameStop and a gift card I had sitting around. :D

gamelova said:
Doesn't this wheel normally go for $200.

I think normal MSRP is 149.

I bought one from amazon for $99 for the time trial.

All the reviews say the wheel and force feedback itself are really good. It is after all the official wheel, they used to test and develop the game. The pedals feel a bit cheap, and the stick shift is only sequential, but it gets the job done.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Did anybody try to DL the E3 trailer from PSN????

It isn't working for me. It is downloading a thumbnail instead of the trailer itself!

offshore

Dizzan said:

It isn't working for me. It is downloading a thumbnail instead of the trailer itself!

Yeah, it's shafted. On the EU store it's called "Grant Turismo". :lol

dalin80

Banned
Yoboman said:
GT5's tracks have taken so long because they're all based on real world locations, and would've taken a lot of time to get those details right. Fantasy tracks should be able to be built really quickly though

Deep forest in the gt5 lighting engine.....fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfap.

Alos day/night transition in the night races and vice-versa, does that mean we could see grand valley at midnight and clubman during the day?

CozMick

Banned
Dizzan said:

Did the same for the Twisted Metal Trailer,

I ended up downloading a Modnation Racers thumbnail.

dalin80 said:
Deep forest in the gt5 lighting engine.....fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfap.

Alos day/night transition in the night races and vice-versa, does that mean we could see grand valley at midnight and clubman during the day?

That thought crossed my mind too.:lol

There was also a night track called something like Rome at Night. I hope that the new Rome and all previous iterations will be there.

I'm usually not into sim racers but this screenshot below impresses the hell out of me:

3_04.jpg

Makes me want to try it out.

And seeing the other screens, I just realized that I won't be buying this game for the racing but for the amazing graphics.

Not sure if I like the sound of that but it looks impressive.

-viper-

Banned
Ranger X said:
Actually I doubt its how they worked out their game. The cockpit view is litterally a camera placed inside the cockpit that is always there, regardless the view you use.
Unless those cockpits are detachable parts that can appear/disappear during gameplay, I doubt we will see that. Also, it's already wierd to have 2 "types" of cars, this would create third kind. Now that would be really wierd.

Yeah I know - the cockpit is modelled inside the cars.

BUT they aren't loaded for A.I. cars. So I still hope they can be applied to the standard cars. It's not like they are modelling a whole new cockpit - it's already there. all they need to do is apply it somehow to the standard cars.

Gravijah

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'm usually not into sim racers but this screenshot below impresses the hell out of me:

3_04.jpg

Makes me want to try it out.

And seeing the other screens, I just realized that I won't be buying this game for the racing but for the amazing graphics.

Not sure if I like the sound of that but it looks impressive.

Not 100% but I think that's from photo mode.

Gran Turismo 5 also brings an evolution in tire smoke simulation. By re-evaluating tire structures at the simulation level, Gran Turismo 5’s advanced physics engine calculates and simulates the surface temperature of the tires. This is applied to the basic principle of how tires generate smoke, and allows for the production of accurate and realistic tire smoke in the game.

There's got to be more to why they went through the trouble of simulating something like that than just smoke effects.

Gran Turismo 5 also brings an evolution in tire smoke simulation. By re-evaluating tire structures at the simulation level, Gran Turismo 5’s advanced physics engine calculates and simulates the surface temperature of the tires. This is applied to the basic principle of how tires generate smoke, and allows for the production of accurate and realistic tire smoke in the game.
It should be useful for Endurance racing. Though in previous GT games even 10 lap races had tyre wear and displayed tyre heat. What I would like to see is brake heat and realistic braking. Pretty much all console racing games, including Gran Turismo and Forza make their brakes waaay too good. I'm hoping the changes PD have made will include brake temperature and brake fade/failure.
In fact has there been any info on tuning and changes to the physics in GT5?

Seanspeed

Banned
Slackbladder said:
Though in previous GT games even 10 lap races had tyre wear and displayed tyre heat.
Yea, its been a while since playing a GT game, but I thought I remembered them already doing this, too, so I'm not sure that this is big news or anything.

Slackbladder said:
What I would like to see is brake heat and realistic braking. Pretty much all console racing games, including Gran Turismo and Forza make their brakes waaay too good.
Very true. Its one of the things that still keeps these games seperated from the 'real' simulators, like rFactor, Live for Speed, iRacing, GTR, etc. Surprisingly, I also felt that braking was one area where NFS:Shift actually shined, so I really think that the devs of Forza and GT make a very considered choice to keep braking distances kinda short, rather than them just not having 'mastered' that aspect yet or have some limitations due to hardware or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom