• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 set to release on November 2nd [S-CONF]

Status
Not open for further replies.

offshore

J-Rzez said:
The Stig damaged quite a few cars already though, but people don't care, considering the publicity they get via that show for their cars.

There's a difference between damaging a loaned/private/rare car than one provided by a manufacturer.

J-Rzez

offshore said:
There's a difference between damaging a loaned/private/rare car than one provided by a manufacturer.

Cars are fixable. If he damaged something it can get fixed by them I'm sure. Now, incredibly rare cars, sure, there's a massive risk there if something breaks that there's no replacement parts for. But, if something is that rare, nobody in their right mind should give them the car in the first place. IIRC, didn't a private owner of a McLaren F1 lend them the car for a top speed run? Something like that, if something bad happens, it's over for the car. :lol

Actually, now that I think about it, they had quite a few "owner lenders" on the show.

J-Rzez said:
Cars are fixable. If he damaged something it can get fixed by them I'm sure. Now, incredibly rare cars, sure, there's a massive risk there if something breaks that there's no replacement parts for. But, if something is that rare, nobody in their right mind should give them the car in the first place. IIRC, didn't a private owner of a McLaren F1 lend them the car for a top speed run? Something like that, if something bad happens, it's over for the car. :lol

Actually, now that I think about it, they had quite a few "owner lenders" on the show.

It's been rumored that the F1 that they used for the Veyron race belongs to Rowan Atkinson.

J-Rzez said:
Nick Mason of Pink Floyd let them use his Enzo, for one.

Has there been any footage of GT5 showing backfire from the exhausts? That was a visual addition I liked in GT4 and which is rarely shown in other racing games.

Truespeed

THE:MILKMAN said:
In most situations, the f1 and veyron would be pretty equal.

Their power/weight ratios are almost the same: f1=550hp/tonne veyron=529hp/tonne.

In a straight line, perhaps. The Veyron would get slaughtered by an F1 car on a race track.

jett said:
Kazunori Yamauchi himself said 60 million.
Of course, that was about 9 months ago... ;)

I can only imagine what the total figure will look like once you've thrown marketing on top of that.

Truespeed said:
In a straight line, perhaps. The Veyron would get slaughtered by an F1 car on a race track.
I believe they're talking about a McLaren F1 (the hypercar).

Truespeed

Psychotext said:

I can only imagine what the total figure will look like once you've thrown marketing on top of that.

I believe they're talking about a McLaren F1 (the hypercar).

Ah, my bad.

-viper-

Banned
Slackbladder said:
Nick Mason of Pink Floyd let them use his Enzo, for one.

Has there been any footage of GT5 showing backfire from the exhausts? That was a visual addition I liked in GT4 and which is rarely shown in other racing games.
I don't think I've ever seen it in GT5 Prologue if that is anything to go by. Don't recall seeing it in any GT5 footage either.

THE:MILKMAN

Truespeed said:

In the hands of a top f1 driver maybe.

But me or you behind the wheel? I doubt it.........sadly.

The mclaren doesn't have ABS, BRAKE SERVO, TC ect. The veyron has all that plus 4wd and is automatic.

Like driving grandad's civic:lol

When gt5 arrives we should have a race with these two cars.

offshore

Psychotext said:

Talking of marketing, is anybody else undecided on Kevin Butler working on a GT5 advert? I suppose humour is one way to stand from the deluge of ads that will accompany Kinect and Black Ops, but still, it's bugged me since "Kevin" announced it, for some reason.

The GT5P mix of Moon Over The Castle is what they should use.

offshore said:
Talking of marketing, is anybody else undecided on Kevin Butler working on a GT5 advert? I suppose humour is one way to stand from the deluge of ads that will accompany Kinect and Black Ops, but still, it's bugged me since "Kevin" announced it, for some reason.
Butler lacks the style / class deserving of a GT advert.

Ploid 3.0

Psychotext said:

Are the profits from GT5 Prologue factored into that estimate?

Rflagg

offshore said:

The GT5P mix of Moon Over The Castle is what they should use.
I think I would prefer non-Butler ads, I do love his brand of humor just not for gt,and despite his line about his next project I wonder if Sony has him next advertise for lbp2, his style fits that game better I think. I believe the line was more of a way to say hey we are going to release some good info soon hold on fans. If he does anything for gt I could see it being something lower key like the mod racer blog thing was.

Psychotext said:

It looks like we'll never know what the final budget is. Kaz was asked about it at E3 and he said that he wasn't going to talk about the games budget anymore because he didn't like that some seemed to focus on it more than the game.

Truespeed

THE:MILKMAN said:
In the hands of a top f1 driver maybe.

But me or you behind the wheel? I doubt it.........sadly.

The mclaren doesn't have ABS, BRAKE SERVO, TC ect. The veyron has all that plus 4wd and is automatic.

Like driving grandad's civic:lol

When gt5 arrives we should have a race with these two cars.

The lack of all those driving aids are all advantages for the McLaren :) I still think the McLaren would win in on a race track, though. The Veyron is just too heavy and doesn't accelerate as fast out of corners as an old McLaren would. There's a Top Gear video of McLaren vs. a Veyron in a 1 mile race. The Veyron obviously pulls it out, but had the length been a 1/4 mile, the Veyron would have been badly beaten.

spats

jett said:
Kazunori Yamauchi himself said 60 million.

Yeah, that's the old figure I remember aswell. I saw the 80M floating around on several sites a few months ago.

Maybe not very credible but according to this site it's the latter.

Even at that price the game would be worth the time and effort. Not because of the initial return on investment but also the face time the Playstation brand gets in circles that don't usually involve them in games. The cross-media advertising opportunity is (and has been for past GT games aswell) invaluable for Sony.

That's not accurate. I've seen someone dispute the costs of another game on that list. And it mentions that the official dev cost as of 2008 was 60m, but the only time Kaz has even discussed the cost was late last year and he mentioned that it was 60m.

spats

SolidSnakex said:
That's not accurate. I've seen someone dispute the costs of another game on that list. And it mentions that the official dev cost as of 2008 was 60m, but the only time Kaz has even discussed the cost was late last year and he mentioned that it was 60m.

Fair enough. My argument still stands. :p

dalin80

Banned
It would be nice to know how much GT5P put back into the bank, while nowhere near the 60 mil and i can see it buying the team the extra time they were after.

It must have sold over 5 million copies by now, does anyone have any rough figures of how much goes back to a dev on each game sale?

Ashes

Banned
dalin80 said:
It would be nice to know how much GT5P put back into the bank, while nowhere near the 60 mil and i can see it buying the team the extra time they were after.

It must have sold over 5 million copies by now, does anyone have any rough figures of how much goes back to a dev on each game sale?

If they made just $10 off of each copy:

10x5,000,000= $50 million.

They're owned by Sony, so I'm 'guessing', they only get paid their wages. And I think Sony makes a lot more then just $10 per game.
edit: cod:MW2 grossed over half a billion retail dollars in the first week, and they sold around five million units, I think...
But Prologue was bundled and near half price.

dalin80

Banned
That still offsets a lot of development costs, coupled with the millions GT5 is bound to sell plus whatever DLC then hopefully PD will spring for a few more modellers so that GT6 has a full compliment of premium cars.

Ashes

Banned
I think it'll be a sony's first billion dollar grossing game this gen...

edit: okay, I've said it. I can't retract!

Razgreez

dalin80 said:
That still offsets a lot of development costs, coupled with the millions GT5 is bound to sell plus whatever DLC then hopefully PD will spring for a few more modellers so that GT6 has a full compliment of premium cars.

The issue with premium cars is less one of funds and more one of time. They'd need to improve the production process itself. A few more modelers really wont cut it - an army of them might

Piggus

Hey guys, I ordered a Driving Force GT the other day, and it should arrive this week. Couldn't say no to the price I paid for it. While I wait for GT5, what are some other PC or PS3 games that work really well with this wheel? I'm really looking forward to testing it out.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
of course the veyron would be bad on a driving circus, it was designt to go a straight line and go after the top speed record, no other street legal car at the moment can do this as good as the veyron.

Truespeed said:
The lack of all those driving aids are all advantages for the McLaren :) I still think the McLaren would win in on a race track, though. The Veyron is just too heavy and doesn't accelerate as fast out of corners as an old McLaren would. There's a Top Gear video of McLaren vs. a Veyron in a 1 mile race. The Veyron obviously pulls it out, but had the length been a 1/4 mile, the Veyron would have been badly beaten.

dude, acceleration is not veyrons problem. stopping this fat bastard for cornering is

that top gear battle was fake.

people have to realize that the F1 is ~15 years old... some things have changed by now

Dead Man

I was doing really well at keeping my hype in check, but the last couple weeks have been the end of that, so looking forward to November, I just need to figure out which version to get.

Piggus

sankt-Antonio said:
of course the veyron would be bad on a driving circus, it was designt to go a straight line and go after the top speed record, no other street legal car at the moment can do this as good as the veyron.

dude, acceleration is not veyrons problem. stopping this fat bastard for cornering is

that top gear battle was fake.

people have to realize that the F1 is ~15 years old... some things have changed by now

Is there any proof that it was fake? I think the only reason the F1 pulled ahead in the beginning is because the Veyron is 4WD. 4WD cars are really hard to get off the line as quickly as they're advertised.

offshore

Piggus said:
Is there any proof that it was fake?.

Well maybe not fake, but according to Ron Dennis, they didn't just do one take.

When we did the race in Abu Dhabi, we beat it off the line so many times that the film crew was getting frustrated because the outcome was supposed to be for the Bugatti to win. So we had to do that whole thing about ten times before it managed to get off the line cleanly and catch us up. Because every time they dropped the clutch it bogged down and we were gone.

sankt-Antonio

Piggus said:
Is there any proof that it was fake? I think the only reason the F1 pulled ahead in the beginning is because the Veyron is 4WD. 4WD cars are really hard to get off the line as quickly as they're advertised.
what is this i dont even...

only flipside of 4wd is additional weight...

modulaire

the "new" Veyron SS is currently the fastest car ever on the TopGear track. So I guess pure force is enough to be fast on a track even if the handling isn't the best.

mil6es

sankt-Antonio said:
what is this i dont even...

only flipside of 4wd is additional weight...

how do you know the f1 vs veyron drag was fake, source please???

the fact is the F1's 0-60 is 3.1 secs and the Veyron's is 2.8

for all you know the veyron could of bogged down abit like most 4wd cars do off the line, but to say its fake is pretty dumb

basically down to the drivers ( even if the veyron is idiot proof )

Piggus

Pepto said:
So you don't think they had the opportunity to launch the veyron correctly?

I'm sure they did. But why would they? It was much more dramatic the way they did it. Just because Hammond didn't get off the line as fast as a "professional" Veyron driver doesn't mean it's fake.

Piggus said:
Hey guys, I ordered a Driving Force GT the other day, and it should arrive this week. Couldn't say no to the price I paid for it. While I wait for GT5, what are some other PC or PS3 games that work really well with this wheel? I'm really looking forward to testing it out.

Pretty much the usual suspects. If you're looking for PC games then go with stuff like iRacing (can be expensive though), GTR, Live for Speed, Richard Burns Rally ect. For the PS3 if you're europe look for Euthechnyx racers like Ferrari Challenge and Super Car Challenge. DIRT, Shift ect. on either platform. I'd suggest Prologue but if you don't already have that then it's probably not worth getting at this point considering how close GT5 is to releasing.

Chris R

modulaire said:
the "new" Veyron SS is currently the fastest car ever on the TopGear track. So I guess pure force is enough to be fast on a track even if the handling isn't the best.
Speaking of quick top gear times, will the FXX be in game or is a full car list not out yet?

spats

sankt-Antonio

mil6es said:
how do you know the f1 vs veyron drag was fake, source please???

the fact is the F1's 0-60 is 3.1 secs and the Veyron's is 2.5

for all you know the veyron could of bogged down abit like most 4wd cars do off the line, but to say its fake is pretty dumb

basically down to the drivers ( even if the veyron is idiot proof )

well if they shot 10 drag races and cut them together to make it look cool (not boring) its fake to me.

just for fun:
veyron(2005vers.)
0 - 200 km/h 7,3 s

F1
0 - 200 km/h 9.4s

edit: off topic/on topic:
but what really shows that the veyron is the holy grail in automotive engineering is:

a) the design was done first
(no fancy air vents, wings etc...basically a nightmare for a top speed car),
then engineer's had to make it run... awesome feed!
b) no modified stock parts (like pagani/königsegg/gumpert etc use ) all custom designed and made. even tyres are specifically made for this car
c) the car is not whining or cracking when its driven... its calm and save but is as fast as cars that seem deadly to drive
d) interior quality that is on par with interiors from bentley

it is a one o a kind car - so excuse my fanboyism :D

spats said:
I'm possibly alone here, but to me the Veyron always looked like a cheap vacuum cleaner. The design is awful.

You aren't alone. I don't like the Veyron's design at all. But I also don't like most Ferrari, Porsche or Lambo designs either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom