• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 ships 9 million units

I quite dislike the approach that Kaz took with the GT5 campaign. The decision to take out multiple tournament prizes and it's repeatably took a lot of the fun out for me. It was sad to see the Supra as a standard car when there was so many GT-Rs and Skylines as premiums. GT5 was sad as a Supra Fan.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
And better use of the Top Gear UK license.

Wasn't the lack of any proper Top Gear stuff because of the deal MS signed with the BBC a few months before GT5 came out?

After which all the Top Gear stuff besides some names got taken out, the stuff disappeared from their video player, and the track and even the DLC for the Stig outfit were only kept because Top Gear don't technically own the track and the clothes which could be license separately?

Or something, lol.

Wasn't the lack of any proper Top Gear stuff because of the deal MS signed with the BBC a few months before GT5 came out?

After which all the Top Gear stuff besides some names got taken out, the stuff disappeared from their video player, and the track and even the DLC for the Stig outfit were only kept because Top Gear don't technically own the track and the clothes which could be license separately?

Or something, lol.

They also don't mention The Stig at all. They say stuff like, "you can now replicate your that famous driver"

I dont now what its going to take for them to fix the follow camera and return to the standard racer follow camera that they had in GT3 and is in every racing game ever.

Heck at least give me the option.

The super stiff camera in GT4-5 is completely useless. It makes it feel like your playing one of those atari racing games where the car was just a sticker you put on your TV.

They had a ok follow cam in GT HD and GT PSP that wasn't perfect but at least it was better then 4 but they dropped it for Prologue and 5.

I dont know what they where trying to do with that update a few months ago that made the follow camera sway from side to side. Maybe they dont know what the problem is?

This is the best example that shows what I am on about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e7Y4QFbg3w

amar212

I dont now what its going to take for them to fix the follow camera and return to the standard racer follow camera that they had in GT3 and is in every racing game ever. .

They've actually changed it to GT3-spec-cam with one update, but then Kaz had his twitter filled with rage and GTPlanet was going crazy about it.

Update later, and it was gone.

It should really be an option for those interested, I agree.

Also, regarding OP subject, Megawolaz is famous :)

Thank you. RT @magawolaz: @Kaz_Yamauchi Congratulations on the 9mln copies of GT5, well deserved :)

https://twitter.com/Kaz_Yamauchi

FireCloud

Great game and one I continue to go back to when I'm between games or burned out on everything else.

Now if only I could find/afford a car that could stand a chance of winning the "Historic Racing Car Cup" event in the Expert Series. Grinding for the $20mil to purchase one from the dealership is taking a while.

Parfait

If the next GT is on the PS4 and lets me *IMPORTANT* make fun decals/art/anime on my car than I will buy it immediately with the system even though I am not good at Driving Sims.

I REALLY wanted it in GT5 and loved it from what i saw in Forza, but I could never play forza because I cant justify having live for just one game.

And I want to run an online cartel dealing in art cars. I will be the baron of cars with funny art on them, damnit. The masses will come to me...

Wish I had more time to replay old games, but I really need to fire this up again. And yes, if Sony can secure GT6 close to release, the PS4 will be an instant success in Europe.

Kyon

Banned
WHY isn't there a GT Vita? It makes so much sense. (Unless its already in development and not ready to be shown lol)

WHY isn't there a GT Vita? It makes so much sense. (Unless its already in development and not ready to be shown lol)

Because Sony is ran by idiots. I mean seriously, Sony could have put 30 people to convert GT5 or develop GT Vita and release post launch. It would sell great and it would push Vita hardware, a lot.

WOW GT PSP shipped close to 4 Million. Awesome!!!

Completely underserved, GT PSP is the first BAD Gran Turismo i have play, with 4 cars in race, no customization, no structure it simply sucks. I waited for that game so much and was the worst disappointment ever.

I can stand GT5 sales because it was a good but flawed game, GT PSP just sucks and its sad to see that game selling so well while other good races crash and burn like Shift 2 or Supercar Challenge, both series could have evolved into something better.

I dont now what its going to take for them to fix the follow camera and return to the standard racer follow camera that they had in GT3 and is in every racing game ever.

Heck at least give me the option.

The super stiff camera in GT4-5 is completely useless. It makes it feel like your playing one of those atari racing games where the car was just a sticker you put on your TV.

They had a ok follow cam in GT HD and GT PSP that wasn't perfect but at least it was better then 4 but they dropped it for Prologue and 5.

I dont know what they where trying to do with that update a few months ago that made the follow camera sway from side to side. Maybe they dont know what the problem is?

This is the best example that shows what I am on about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e7Y4QFbg3w
I despise the camera it's really awful, it makes it feel like the car is standing still and the environment is moving around it

I'm only level 10 so far, and I get the UI complaints, and I really don't get some of their decisions about car selection and acquisition, but the thing just feels very adult. Aesthetically, it comes across as the type of game a 31 year old man would play. I wouldn't be embarrassed if the in-laws dropped by unannounced and caught me playing. Contrast it to something like Dirt 2...

yurinka

I remember when Doritospope didn't mentioned as one of the biggest upcoming games of the year. xD

Btw GT PSP 3.860 millions, maybe one of the top 5 psp games.

It's the type of game I really really want to go back and play again, but I can't be bothered to go through the effort of setting up the wheel.

vazel

Banned
Few things are very important for GT - and those are the main differentiators from all other console sims:

- its physics is developed from-wheel-to-controller (since GT3) and not vice-versa. Result is equal physics for all types of input devices where controller players do not have usual advantage over wheel players (as on all other console driving games) and they can drive in the same race with equal precision and handicaps (it is the greatest part of Akihiko Tan's magic regarding physics of GT series IMO) which creates extremely competitive environment non-related to input device

- if you play with the wheel then you have the greatest wheel-FFB support of all console games. And since GT games have FFB support since 2001 (GT3) the userbase with wheels is vast compared to all other games. Thus, you get great chance to meet and race players who race it on wheel, thus more serious

- actual multiplayer was the prime focus of all GT games, even prior to online-era. From GT1 you had Memory Card battles as superior 2P mode of that time (backthen there was no game on consoles that allowed you to race tuned cars from garage VS friends). GT3 introduced 6P iLink connectivity, GT4 LAN 6P connectivity. Online MP options for GT5 are vast for a console game, only console game I know that have so much diverse options that cater serious and organized players is RacePro

- also regarding realism, I have to highlight maybe the most important part of realism when actual game-design is concerned - consequences of ownership/usage of cars. That particular design is the most unique and most important single aspect of GT series that was constantly developed and improved since 1997. Once you purchase the car and start using it, you are getting actual consequences of that usage. Engine wears-off (higher revving will accelerate both fuel-consuption and wear of the engine), engine-oil needs to be replaced with mileage, chassis wears-off with mileage and reckless driving (which changes suspension properties of the vehicle), aerodynamics properties are lessened with accumulated dirt, etc. All those consequences can be repaired in-game, but after some time (and mileage) car can't be returned to brand-new state (only with special Prize Cards which are very, very, very, very rare). Thus, you get actual consequences for driving a vehicle (mentioned repercussions appear in all game-modes except Arcade and online Free Run mode), which is very important part of the overall ownership philosophy of GT games. Also, this is one unique area where no other driving-games developer ever even tried to step-up and develop that area of their games. And that is one of the reasons I personally find GT series unique and worth praise because they are doing what noone else does in genre.

- GT5 also have one particularly interesting feature that appears on tracks with variable weather. Special sub-engine that is tied to weather engine is doing real-time calculations of on-track temperature/air humidity/air temperature/air pressure. Although those data are nowhere to be displayed in the game, they are the one that actually powers the weather engine and decides the possibility of rain/snow/blizzard/etc, when it will start, when it will stop, etc. I personally also find that a extremely important part of the overall realism-factor.

Many things that GT series does through time are really genre-groundbraking and unique. Of course, since there is no perfection in the universe, GT can be and should be criticized for its shortcomings, but it should also be praised for what is does great and different then others. It should not be matter of personal preference towards some aspect of the game, but objective verification of what GT does great. And I really think there are much more fields where competition can learn from GT, and not vice-versa (all I mentioned above fall into that category).

And unfortunately, we live in the times where some long-term qualities, unique game-designs and less-supraficial features of GT5 are criticized, overlooked or deliberately ignored in order to cater some subjective opinion or fuel neverending platform&title wars. While in the same time it would be much better if majority of shortcomings and omissions from other games were highlighted with the same aggression and effort as GT5's were - it would make those other games much better from perspective of serious racing and long-term enjoyment, which is unfortunately not the case.

Nice post. I never knew GT did all those things. I have a newfound respect for the franchise. I can't wait for GT5 to get to me in the mail, I bought it on black friday.

I have to ask, have the massive updates to this game made it to the level that most wanted? I know some were disappointed with GT5 originally, or am I wrong?

I dont play racing sims, but Id like to try...

If this game has sold 9 million, does it mean that the online community is still very big? How many people still play online? Is there an in-game live number?

And just how successful is GT5, considering its budget and development?

Just curious..

Niks

Yeah, GT5 have been improved in spades since day 1. It still gets updates 2 years later.
One of the best supported games post release this gen.

The community is still active. No idea how many numbers but its there (see GTplanet)

GT5 budget was +/- 60 million. They paid for it from GT5: Prologue sales alone.

Hmmm thinking about this. Does it teach stuff well to newcomers?

I never really got when to brake for certain turns or when to down shift and what not.

How's cockpit view? Do you see gear shifts and detailed pedal work?

Yeah, GT5 have been improved in spades since day 1. It still gets updates 2 years later.
One of the best supported games post release this gen.

The community is still active. No idea how many numbers but its there (see GTplanet)

GT5 budget was +/- 60 million. They paid for it from GT5: Prologue sales alone.

Wow, really? :O

They made money back by Prologue? So, Polyphony must be rolling in cash..

Dont do these updates cost money? How is the game supported? DLC, presumably, sales still going strong. How does it stack on sales charts these days?

Holy crap, the forums alone have 600 people on it at this very moment. That is quite a community

Mrbob

Anyone have the Forza numbers? Greenawalt was talking a lot of smack when Forza 4 came out.

About two million. Forza isn't in the same class as GT in terms of sales. It's like comparing Halo sales to Resistance.

http://gamer.blorge.com/2012/11/05/...-million-encroaching-on-forza-lifetime-sales/

GT5 almost sold as much last year as Forza 4 did as a new release. These numbers don't even include GT5 prologue which sold over 5 million.

You could argue the Forza franchise is already finished. Forza Horizon has been a huge flop. MS has had to nearly give the game away for it to sell.

Top Bottom