• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 ships 9 million units

Best post-launch support on consoles too. Updates even 2 years since launch, what in the world.

Polyphony am gods, hatters gonna hat etc.

spats

This news makes me very happy. Incredibly ambitious game, sometimes too ambitious for its own good but it's thrilling that a massive multi million dollar game where damn near everything is simulated, including the fireworks, can be greenlit in today's shooter-driven console software industry. I wish they put all this revenue to good use and go even more batshit crazy with GT6.

Oh yeah, pro tip for the sound haters. Pipe your sounds through a reverb pedal or midi-controller or whatever to get your WROOM WROOM back to your Nissan Micra 2010

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
This news makes me very happy. Incredibly ambitious game, sometimes too ambitious for its own good but it's thrilling that a massive multi million dollar game where damn near everything is simulated, including the fireworks, can be greenlit in today's shooter-driven console software industry. I wish they put all this revenue to good use and go even more batshit crazy with GT6.

But GAF told me GT5 sold only 10 copies and they were all sold as part of bundles in Europe so there won't be a GT6

jcm

hatters gonna hat etc.

oPRdW.png

amar212

Where's the realism in GT?
The physics and handling are ok, no better or worse than Forza.
Races are equally simple and arcadey.

Few things are very important for GT - and those are the main differentiators from all other console sims:

- its physics is developed from-wheel-to-controller (since GT3) and not vice-versa. Result is equal physics for all types of input devices where controller players do not have usual advantage over wheel players (as on all other console driving games) and they can drive in the same race with equal precision and handicaps (it is the greatest part of Akihiko Tan's magic regarding physics of GT series IMO) which creates extremely competitive environment non-related to input device

- if you play with the wheel then you have the greatest wheel-FFB support of all console games. And since GT games have FFB support since 2001 (GT3) the userbase with wheels is vast compared to all other games. Thus, you get great chance to meet and race players who race it on wheel, thus more serious

- actual multiplayer was the prime focus of all GT games, even prior to online-era. From GT1 you had Memory Card battles as superior 2P mode of that time (backthen there was no game on consoles that allowed you to race tuned cars from garage VS friends). GT3 introduced 6P iLink connectivity, GT4 LAN 6P connectivity. Online MP options for GT5 are vast for a console game, only console game I know that have so much diverse options that cater serious and organized players is RacePro

- also regarding realism, I have to highlight maybe the most important part of realism when actual game-design is concerned - consequences of ownership/usage of cars. That particular design is the most unique and most important single aspect of GT series that was constantly developed and improved since 1997. Once you purchase the car and start using it, you are getting actual consequences of that usage. Engine wears-off (higher revving will accelerate both fuel-consuption and wear of the engine), engine-oil needs to be replaced with mileage, chassis wears-off with mileage and reckless driving (which changes suspension properties of the vehicle), aerodynamics properties are lessened with accumulated dirt, etc. All those consequences can be repaired in-game, but after some time (and mileage) car can't be returned to brand-new state (only with special Prize Cards which are very, very, very, very rare). Thus, you get actual consequences for driving a vehicle (mentioned repercussions appear in all game-modes except Arcade and online Free Run mode), which is very important part of the overall ownership philosophy of GT games. Also, this is one unique area where no other driving-games developer ever even tried to step-up and develop that area of their games. And that is one of the reasons I personally find GT series unique and worth praise because they are doing what noone else does in genre.

- GT5 also have one particularly interesting feature that appears on tracks with variable weather. Special sub-engine that is tied to weather engine is doing real-time calculations of on-track temperature/air humidity/air temperature/air pressure. Although those data are nowhere to be displayed in the game, they are the one that actually powers the weather engine and decides the possibility of rain/snow/blizzard/etc, when it will start, when it will stop, etc. I personally also find that a extremely important part of the overall realism-factor.

Many things that GT series does through time are really genre-groundbraking and unique. Of course, since there is no perfection in the universe, GT can be and should be criticized for its shortcomings, but it should also be praised for what is does great and different then others. It should not be matter of personal preference towards some aspect of the game, but objective verification of what GT does great. And I really think there are much more fields where competition can learn from GT, and not vice-versa (all I mentioned above fall into that category).

And unfortunately, we live in the times where some long-term qualities, unique game-designs and less-supraficial features of GT5 are criticized, overlooked or deliberately ignored in order to cater some subjective opinion or fuel neverending platform&title wars. While in the same time it would be much better if majority of shortcomings and omissions from other games were highlighted with the same aggression and effort as GT5's were - it would make those other games much better from perspective of serious racing and long-term enjoyment, which is unfortunately not the case.

paskowitz

As much as GT5 infuriates me, I have to agree with everything amar said. I would also add that GT has probably received the greatest amount of post launch support for any game this gen. By support I do not mean DLC, I mean fixing and adding to the game. Sure it would have been nice if it shipped in the state it is in now, but PD deserves major credit for not abandoning ship (which practically every dev does).

Grayman

Polyphony Digital's motorbike-lover Takamasa Shichisawa, who is normally working on the landscape design, and one of the guys from studio made first in-house demo for TT in their spare time with some basic help from Akihiko Tan and 3 more PD guys.

They literally made complete game before showing it to Kazunori who was so fascinated by the alteration that he made TT project being greenlighted at SCEI. Because of his work Takamasa Shichisawa was named as Director of the Tourist Trophy game and on the cover of the game it is him who is riding the CBR600 on the photo of the TT cover.

Akihiko Tan - director of the GT physics since the first game - was in charge of physics part, while Norio Takama - guy who was in charge of human animation for GT4 and some support programming - made all algorithms for driver body-behaviour and such.

In short, Tourist Trophy was *baby* of 6 people in PD who was working on it in their spare time with available assets and resources from GT4.

It would not be waste of resources by any mean if ever greenlighted, trust me on that one. Guys would produce it instead of sleeping, same they did with the first TT - which is still the best motorbike driving simulation ever created. I would gladly pay up to 50$ for a proper TT expansion for GT5 and wouldn't even think twice.
I never knew it was a guerrela development like that. I would buy another bike based GT too. I don't ride but tourist trophy has a feeling of flying that car games have not given me.

Like 20 Skylines ahead.

Probably more ahead than that, there are about 40 Skylines in GT5. I actually made a list a while ago of the Skylines that GT6 should have:

Nissan SKYLINE 1500Deluxe (S50D-1) '63
Nissan SKYLINE 2000GT-B (S54A) '67
Nissan SKYLINE 2000GT-R (KPGC110) '73
Nissan SKYLINE Coupe 370GT Type SP '07
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R R32 Touring Car
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R R33 Touring Car
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R R34 Touring Car
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec (R33) '97
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec II (R32) '94
Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec II Nür (R34) '02
Nissan SKYLINE GTS-25t (R33) '97
Nissan SKYLINE GTS-R (R31) '87
Nissan SKYLINE GTS-t Type M (R32) '91
Nissan SKYLINE GT-T (R34) '00
Nissan SKYLINE Hard Top 2000GT-R (KPGC10) '70
Nissan SKYLINE Hard Top 2000 RS-X Turbo C (R30) '84
Nissan SKYLINE Sedan 350GT Type SP '06
Nissan SKYLINE Sport Coupe (BLRA-3) '62

All unique, no duplicates. This list obviously excludes racing/tuner models.

raven777

The only thing i didnt like about GT5 was how slow the UI menus worked, with various small loadings.

Has this been improved with patches?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And employ a UI/menu designer so you don't waste all that talent building awesome content, only for it to be buried under a sea of messy menus and awkward navigation.

And less grind of a career mode.

And better use of the Top Gear UK license.

And proper point-to-point randomized map creations.

And a pony.

televator

Despite being disappointed by GT5, I'm looking forward to GT6. So it's good that PD will be in a position to do GT6 well.

I hope GT6 Keeps up the personal track record I have with even number GTs hooking me for years after they release.

Joni

How much is that compared to other racers?

In pure volume Need for Speed and Mario Kart are still ahead, but Gran Turismo 1-5 are about the best selling racing games behind Mario Kart Wii (30+ million) and Mario Kart DS (20+ million). Mario Kart 64 is tied with GT5 at 9 million. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is said to be at 8,5 million and considering the total sales of the franchise I don't think any other Need for Speed has matched it.

So its
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart DS
Gran Turismo 3
Gran Turismo 4
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 2
Gran Turismo 5
Mario Kart 64
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

meta4

In pure volume Need for Speed and Mario Kart are still ahead, but Gran Turismo 1-5 are about the best selling racing games behind Mario Kart Wii (30+ million) and Mario Kart DS (20+ million). Mario Kart Double Dash is tied with GT5 at 9 million. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is said to be at 8,5 million and considering the total sales of the franchise I don't think any other Need for Speed has matched it.

So its
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Kart DS
Gran Turismo 3
Gran Turismo 4
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 2
Gran Turismo 5
Mario Kart Double Dash
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Plus NFS has been released on multiple platforms. I am really shocked how powerful a racing franchise can be. Especially considering GT is not really a pick up and play accessible racer. For a sim these numbers are awesome!

saladine1

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the offices of PD. Granted, I wouldn't understand a word they would be saying but it would be great nevertheless.

Of all games i'm looking forward to next gen, GT6 is one of my top 3.
It'll be interesting to see how much of the GT formula they retain or change.
Will it be bigger?
Will they sacrifice quantity for quality as they did with GT3?
Will they make it more 'gamey'?

People might disagree with how things are done over there, and whether or not the success is warranted, but this is GT, a name synonymous with meticulous detail, automotive culture and let's face it, system seller. The GT brand is huge and well received, it's pioneering excellence cannot be ignored.
I have faith in Kaz and PD.
I just hope that we'll be seeing PD's next iteration much sooner than later..

GT5 was a big disappointment for me.With so many years in development it felt unfinished. Technically there were major issues. It looked like they used many of Gt4's assets.Performance was all over the place.The alpha effects severely degraded the image quality.Damage model and weather effects were obviously last minute additions.1hr installation.Delayed so many times.Poor UI."standard vehicles". Come on PD, you can do better.

The last greatest GT for me was from going from GT2 to GT5.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Great news for PD. personally GT5 never really clicked with me the way the other games did. I'd put some of that to enjoying the Forza series and the way they approach the genre.

GT5 though has had some fantastic post launch support. Really good stuff.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
GT5 was a big disappointment for me.With so many years in development it felt unfinished. Technically there were major issues. It looked like they used many of Gt4's assets.Performance was all over the place.The alpha effects severely degraded the image quality.Damage model and weather effects were obviously last minute additions.1hr installation.Delayed so many times.Poor UI."standard vehicles". Come on PD, you can do better.

The last greatest GT for was from going from GT2 to GT5.

I'd blame the PS3s technical shortcomings for that rather than PD. there was so much stuff they wanted to do but clearly the hardware fell far too short in the end.

Once you got past those shortcomings the game was still very nice.

I hope with GT6 and PS4/Orbis we can get a more complete experience.

Joni

It would be, if it wasn't a lie. Double Dash didn't sell no 9 million. Smash Bros. Melee was the Gamecube's best selling title with around 7 million.
Stupid mistake indeed, that needs to be Mario Kart 64. Got the two mixed up. Still an incredible attach rate for both games. Mario Kart 64 is 9 out of 30 million, Double Dash 7 out of 24.

Sid

I'd blame the PS3s technical shortcomings for that rather than PD. there was so much stuff they wanted to do but clearly the hardware fell far too short in the end.

Once you got past those shortcomings the game was still very nice.

I hope with GT6 and PS4/Orbis we can get a more complete experience.
They have been silent since 2+ years so maybe we'll get GT6:prologue at launch.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
They have been silent since 2+ years so maybe we'll get GT6:prologue at launch.

Just premium cars, Damage, 5 tracks redone for the extra power and the alpha effects turned up to 100.... Yeah, I'd definitely buy that at launch.

A.E Suggs

I've never been a real fan of the series but I may just have to pick up this game after reading this topic, curse you people!

Top Bottom