• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 ships 9 million units

My memory is hazy, so correct me if I'm wrong. But early on, wasn't a good handful of GAF trying to convince that GT5 had bombed, at least comparatively when held up against the other installments. 9 million is pretty exceptional for any game, no matter how you slice it.

Hindle

Banned
There's no way anyone other than Polyphony will be allowed to develop a console GT. The Vita version? I still think that's the way to go. But console GT's belong to Polyphony.

That's stupid of them. It's literally money on the table if they can release these games sooner.

tranciful

My memory is hazy, so correct me if I'm wrong. But early on, wasn't a good handful of GAF trying to convince that GT5 had bombed, at least comparatively when held up against the other installments. 9 million is pretty exceptional for any game, no matter how you slice it.

People still try to claim that today. GT5 sales blow Forza out of the water.

onQ123

Yep.

Corto

So how many rereleases and bundles does this comprise?

8 million. And you need to take into account that this are sold to retailer not sold-through, so in the end there are only 4-5 million games out there in customers hands, give or take. More give than take.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
good for Polyphony. Amazing game

pmJEf.gif

It's called ''Call of Duty syndrome''. You have to sell 5 million first week and over 10 million in one quarter to be success.

test_account

XP-39C²
8 million. And you need to take into account that this are sold to retailer not sold-through, so in the end there are only 4-5 million games out there in customers hands, give or take. More give than take.
Why would the retailers keep buying new copies if there are 4-5 million copies already in stores?

and they just melt down the discs they hadn't sold when they release the newer editions right?

People just love piling on the hate for GT when it goes without saying it's one of the most successful driving games out there, even with Turn10 pumping out the newer games every couple of years.

there's thread on the front page about Sony's corporate structure and ps4 and people really think Sony moves like no software it's ridiculous, but what can you do?

Grim1ock

Banned
there's thread on the front page about Sony's corporate structure and ps4 and people really think Sony moves like no software it's ridiculous, but what can you do?

Sony does have problems though. The fact that GT continues to sell millions despite sony's worthless marketing of their games is testament to the superb developers they gave got in house.

And ofcourse brand legacy certainly helps

Is this really happening. The last shipments were in the 7 million, even if what you is true, why would they ship more to the retailers.

Shipped + bundled for 2 years will do that to a game.

I am so tired of this ''it only sold because it was bundled!'' excuse. Every major first party game on every platform gets bundled. Halo 3 and Reach sold several million with bundles, Mario Kart Wii sold several million with bundles and the list goes on. Not to mention that these numbers do not include the newest super slim bundle.

Shipped + bundled for 2 years will do that to a game.

so, like every single game on that list right? but hey, somehow, gt5 is a totally different situation. it's rotting away in stores, only selling in bundles, and the rest of the copies are stored in a dark bunker somewhere where sony's putting all the games they're buying to make the numbers higher.

Corto

I was joking. Wink wink Why should anyone care how many of those are bundles, rereleases or sold through? First of all only Sony would know the numbers and that total is gigantic whatever the metric we use.

i-Lo

EDIT: They need to IMPROVE UI for GT6. In GT5 it is a mess.

The PS3 has way too many technical issues that they just can't overcome. All of their alpha effects end up looking horrible because of those limitations.

Yea, if it weren't for limited exposure of this flaw I'd be massively disappointed. That said, I hope they can fix it on PS4.

Cant wait to see if GT6 can surpass this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dGY87d4XhpU

[off course it will, this is made on 3-4mil € budget]

Let me preface by saying that I am GT fan, I have their GT5P and GT5CE. My biggest issue with the game's visual as pointed out by the target vid of PCars that you posted is that the visuals look very clean but somehow very sterile. It's the same problem I have with the HL2 as well. I think a lot of that comes down the lighting temperature in the game. That video shows the lighting to emit a warm organic glow (7500K most likely).

Btw, I expect GT6 to look near identical to their own pre-rendered intros (better AA, lighting).

Well, they don't plan on having another development schedule like GT5. Kaz said that we'll see GT6 much faster. So it should be either 2013 or 2014.

Yea, the biggest transition was in high resolution assets. Don't think much evolution will be needed for PS4. Safe bet would be either 2014 or 2015.

It depends on what region the person is posting from. You'll notice that GT sales are mostly brought up by PAL region posters since that is where the bulk of sales are from as pointed out by the OP. So say you are posting from Japan and say it has lost it's stride then you are right. Also, US sales have been on decline with each new version as well.

GT is becoming a game like Singstar where it bombs in one region, sells "ok" in another region and explodes in the third region.

Very good :) GT5 Prologue sales are also a lot stronger than what GT4 Prologue was.

GT4 Prologue wasn't a worldwide selling title.

I remember when people thought GT5 wouldn't sell more than Prologue.

In Japan it didn't. GT5P outsold GT5. Again, GT sales are very different in regards to what region you are talking about.

Was anyone actually questioning that though? I don't think so. Quality is a totally different matter of course...

I don't think it could be disputed that GT5 is vastly more popular than any Forza game but I wonder which franchise has been more profitable this generation, GT5 + Prologue or Forza 2 through Horizon?

I like the game and i love the franchse but to be completely honest, i dont think GT5 deserve this kind of sales, for part is good because the it shows that racing game still can sell millions and millions but GT5 was a flawed game with many problems and lacked the usual polish of Polyphony games, i dont want to enumarate details but clearly other Gran Turismo games were masterpieces and this not (again IMO and i think many will agree).

It makes me a bit bitter because if GT5 sell this much then Forza 4 should be more than the 3 millions it have (acording to leaderboards) and Shift 2 should have not bombed so hard.

GT is becoming a game like Singstar where it bombs in one region, sells "ok" in another region and explodes in the third region.

Except GT didn't bomb anywhere. It's sold nearly 2m in the US and 740k in Japan (which is now the same as Prologue). It's down from where it's been in the past, but every previous million seller series on the PS is down in Japan. So that's nothing new.

Was anyone actually questioning that though? I don't think so. Quality is a totally different matter of course...

lol, you must not have been in that GT vs Forza thread. Plenty of supposed passing of the torch bull in that thread.

Good to know GT is still king.

test_account

XP-39C²
To boost the ego of fans ofcourse! Geez get with the times!
Hehe :)

I was joking. Wink wink Why should anyone care how many of those are bundles, rereleases or sold through? First of all only Sony would know the numbers and that total is gigantic whatever the metric we use.
On 2nd thought, i wondered if you were joking, especially because that you mentioned that 8 million of those 9 million copies came from bundles :)

GT4 Prologue wasn't a worldwide selling title.
That is true, but it still sold a lot more, which means more profit :)

In Japan it didn't. GT5P outsold GT5. Again, GT sales are very different in regards to what region you are talking about.
Not according to Media Create.

Gran Turismo 5 = 595,881

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue = 238,578

If you count the Spec 2 and Spec 3 versions on top of GT5P, you get 583,688.

I'm probably in the minority but I don't want this franchise to release a game every 2-3 years, or God forbid annually....>.>.

Maybe every four years would be ideal. Congrats anyways, great numbers.

gaming_noob

so, like every single game on that list right? but hey, somehow, gt5 is a totally different situation. it's rotting away in stores, only selling in bundles, and the rest of the copies are stored in a dark bunker somewhere where sony's putting all the games they're buying to make the numbers higher.

Talk about stuffing words in other peoples' mouths.

I like how even though OJG is arguing that GT is really weak in NA, he goes and downplays GT4P's low sales because it wasn't sold in NA. Because otherwise it would have obviously sold the 4 million copies needed to close the gap with GT5P, or even exceed it.

Not according to Media Create.

I was using PD's own numbers.

Well done. Oldjadedgamer on suicide watch.

I just speaking logically from my region, the US and how the game isn't big here at all. Again, look at this thread and the main OT for the game and you'll see mostly PAL posters when it comes to GT sales talk. This is a worldwide title and not just a PAL game so discussing its previous worldwide appeal and not just one region makes sense. We can talk about Singstar and Buzz after this if you like. I'm not discounting the sales in Europe at all, in fact I'm fascinated that the game has exploded there where it's declining in other regions which is very interesting to understand why. When I speak of the game it is mostly from a NA and JPN view as I feel much of the great hype of sales for this game get hidden behind the PAL version when it is on decline in the rest of the world.

Singstar's only ever been released in two regions, so I don't really see how that could even begin to apply. Halo would be a better example, though even then, GT is far more evenly distributed between the three regions than Halo.

Arucardo

I like GT5. But I also think it's one of the most flawed games in the series. And it may be nitpicky, but I don't play the game anymore solely because of the engine sounds.

lol, I think you and I are the only two people who did this!
You two are going to love this (quote from Kaz in a GT Planet interview, but bear in mind it could just be mis-translated):

Critics often complain about the car engine sounds in GT5, claiming they sound sterile or artificial. What is your opinion on these engine sounds in GT5, and will these critics’ concerns be addressed in future games?

My perspective is that the sounds in Gran Turismo are just too real. With the recording method we use, we use a dyno and put the load on, and the sound we produce is just too accurate. I think it would be a good thing to sort of design the sound a little bit, and so that is something I would like to challenge ourselves with in the future.

What I find is that one of our themes with Gran Turismo is to create something that is real; that is what our team is focused on, but that can be an issue sometimes as well. If we see something in front of us, we try to reproduce that very accurately, and that tendency is getting stronger.

But, I think we maybe need to make things sexier sometimes, and I think that is something the Gran Turismo team might need to work on. It could also be because our team is growing in number, which could be one of our barriers to that goal.

-------------------------

Am I the only one who wants them to make another motorcycle game? I hope they do!
I'd be 10 times more excited for a new Tourist Trophy than a new GT game :p .

Yeah cause retailers always buy more games that have millions of copies sitting in warehouses

Top Bottom