• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

spats

Happy 15th anniversary Turismo-GAF. My entry point in to the series was GT3, but I feel like I've been obsessing over this game forever. Here's to 15 more.

I'm gonna go boot the game up just to hear some sweet holiday jazz.

amar212

Happy 15 years anniversary!
No thread? I am disappoint.
Amar, loved your article on GTplanet.

Just saw Amar's article. Great read.

Thank you guys, I am glad you liked it!

Yes, I was hoping for some GAF coverage of the anniversary, even planned to do it myself but I didn't have time - and to be honest, I was dead certain SolidSnake or Murph will do it here for the frontpage.

The greatest selling PS exclusive celebrates 2 crazy milestones - 15 years anniversary and almost 70 million games sold and nobody gives a damn. Not even US/EU playstation blogs. Unbelievable. There is really something strange going on at Sonylands.

Here is a great intro-mix video that GTPlanet's Racecar did yesterday for the Anniversary, check it if you are interested and give man some likes, he will be thankful: http://youtu.be/W-qpCGo2Jx0

Kaz shared his sentiments over Twitter:

8huEO.png

And here are some things from the good old times to share:

Gran Turismo original Promotional Poster (1997)
ibn2k4mFAWW7Yd.jpg

Gran Turismo original artwork (1997)
ibtYW4JG4xDyl4.jpg

Gran Turismo 2 Racing Modification Cars (1999)
ibfoAzMeQkCh96.jpg

Midfield Raceway map (1999-2004)
i3pq8UDtDh4DW.jpg

Gran Turismo 4 Black Carbon LMP cars (2004)
ir4MVjRosvlij.jpg

Infamous original GTHD Classic&Premium "microtransactions" announcement (2005)
ibp7KMLrUp9nhc.jpg

Vision GT official screenshot (2006)
ibb7vh75vZTxUd.jpg

Gran Turismo HD original concept artwork (2006) quoted for size

GTHD on E3 2006 with bikes and cars on the same track (2006)
i9sQFUHwmI8HW.jpg

Kazunori Yamauchi's 2006 "GT5 Goals" presentation
izinJ3HCCn3U7.jpg

Premiere GT5@4K/320fps demonstration (2008)
ibmxDrFXK1jhpo.jpg

my humble contribution to "NeoGaf Criterion Game Collection" (2009) quoted for size

Legendary MDR's photoshop of GT5:p (2009) quoted for size

Cars of GT5 artwork (2010)
iTAeOAZWUIB7g.jpg

Astonishing 15 years.

Infamous original GTHD Classic&Premium "microtransactions" announcement (2005)
ibp7KMLrUp9nhc.jpg

I wish that they would've gone through with that. It was very forward thinking of them, especially when you look at what's going on in the industry now. The type of model that they were looking to use is something that's quite big and profitable now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Updated the game to 2.09 and saw the new seasonals and "half-price" online store, and... just didn't have the will to grind 2million credits for the later half-price cars.

I think it's because there's no fast-high-payout and the grind kinda killed the game for me, so them wanting me to grind for higher-end cars is a little ugh. I mean 1mill, sure. But 2million a pop for like 5-6 of the online cars is a little too rich for my blood.

I mean since they nerfed Like the Wind Indy's payout, I haven't heard much about a new fast and decent paying race to grind with a reasonable payout.

I wish that they would've gone through with that. It was very forward thinking of them, especially when you look at what's going on in the industry now. The type of model that they were looking to use is something that's quite big and profitable now.

I wish they didn't. Being the sucker that I am I would have probably ended up paying $1000 for the game.

Besides, Kaz hated that model.

spats

I wish they didn't. Being the sucker that I am I would have probably ended up paying $1000 for the game.

Besides, Kaz hated that model.

Did he, though? Fans everywhere went ape shit when they showed that DLC model so maybe he backed out because of that reaction.

Niks

Wow 15 years!

Great writeup Amar, so many memories...
Looking at those videos, damn, GT4 was a great looking game.

Heres to 15 more!

Amar said:

We need these cars in premium and that track in HD for GT6.

Hoplatee

Here is a great intro-mix video that GTPlanet's Racecar did yesterday for the Anniversary, check it if you are interested and give man some likes, he will be thankful: http://youtu.be/W-qpCGo2Jx0

So much nostalgia. Loved them all so much. I recently popped in GT3 and it really aged well. Pretty damn impressive.

I never did play Tourist Trophy. Was it any good?

So I've uninstalled GT5 and deleted the game data for more space. If I were to install GT5 again, will I have to download those huge patches again?

Yes! That's the price you pay for uninstalling GT5!

Waiting for the HDD install again was worse. I was forced to at one point because the disc stopped booting :( Somehow it's ok again now, I think the automatic update option in PSN+ did all the updates for me after I'd reinstalled the game offline.

Grim1ock

Banned
I have just went back to Gt5 after such a long time and i want to say i love the new seasonals the new year one's

Really a challenge! Thank you based kaz

Toxa

Join us

Scion FR-S vs Subaru BRZ vs Toyota GT-86 Event

YXEcf.png

gran-turismo-FRS.jpg

Everybody is welcome to join.
If we race under 6 Drivers the race will be cancelled

Race starts in:
This Saturday

Allowed cars:

Scion FR-S
Subaru BRZ
Toyota GT-86​

Tuning allowed:
No tuning is allowed.​

Tyre Selection
Confort Medium​
Track:
Autumn Ring and Suzuka Circuit
Laps:
Pit Stops:
No mandatory pit stops
Damage
Heavy (Light damage only if requested by the majority of participants)​
Assists
ABS

Players Participating (0 / 16):
  • 01 - Paskowitz
  • 02 - Sleeplessnights
  • 03 - Niks
  • 04 - Toxa
  • 05 -
  • 06 -
  • 07 -
  • 08 -
  • 09 -
  • 10 -
  • 11 -
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 -
  • R2 -
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -
  • R6 -
  • R7 -
  • R8 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7pm GMT
Lounge reset - 7:55pm GMT
Qualifications start - 8:00pm GMT
Race start - 8:15 GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules: Car balancing may change between now and the start of the race. In addition the Mclaren MP4-12C may be added to the car list if a proper balanced tune can be found to compete with the SLS and 458. I may also choose to do a PP check.

Standing start​

Lounge:
Race will be in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

track choice is still negotiable

Mung

Holy shit!

That special xmas/new-year race at spa is incredible.
Best race i've had in any videogame.
The changing conditions and pit strategy make it awesome.
Winning on the last corner (without taking the other car out!) was the icing on the cake!

MANGOD

Banned
So i thought I would dust of the cobwebs and pop this in as it had been a while. Anyway after 8 updates and many hours downloading them I am greated to a black screen with the message on my tv 'mode not supported' when i try and load this up. WTF! How do I fix this? I get to the screen where the piano piece starts gettin played with the earth in the background and then my pic cuts out.
Edit, problem fixed the game went into 3d mode which i do run on my projector but dont have on my tv. Thought you could only change 3d in options!

Toxa

GT5 running on a TV and GT PSP running in a Vita

You're pretty good

ocelot2.gif

decide to buy (again) GTPSP because I needed some GT experience until the real GT vita and it feels so good to drive at midfield, seoul, cita di aria, swiss alp, tahiti maze ...

KaidoRacer7

Running with a R34 in nurb tons of hours in PSP helped a lot :)

I tried to play GT PSP after playing GT5 and unfortunately isn't the same thing. The physics are very different

Hoplatee

GT5 standard replay

ikuANe5cNLFu5.gif

GT5 forced motion blur

iLda7NJm78ezF.gif

Better? Any noticeable difference?

Hard to judge since they don't start at the same time in for me. Don't know how I could fix that :(

But something else - I know this is not GT5 related but I was feeling nostalgic after popping in GT3 a few days ago and checked out some older trailers from GT3/4. Is there some higher res version of this trailer somewhere? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vCG0sX7nQ

I remember being blown away by that. Those hand movements were so awesome. And also unrelated - GT3 wet tracks look better than 4 for some reason. To me atleast.

Uch, so many tracks in all those trailers that I miss in GT5. Here's hoping for GT6! That test course in GT3 was so amazing.

Toxa

Running with a R34 in nurb tons of hours in PSP helped a lot :)

I tried to play GT PSP after playing GT5 and unfortunately isn't the same thing. The physics are very different

yeah GT PSP physics is completely outdated compared to GT5 but it remains the best sim on handheld

But something else - I know this is not GT5 related but I was feeling nostalgic after popping in GT3 a few days ago and checked out some older trailers from GT3/4. Is there some higher res version of this trailer somewhere? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0vCG0sX7nQ

I remember being blown away by that. Those hand movements were so awesome. And also unrelated - GT3 wet tracks look better than 4 for some reason. To me atleast.

Uch, so many tracks in all those trailers that I miss in GT5. Here's hoping for GT6! That test course in GT3 was so amazing.

best trailer ever dude I love it so much.
so many track like Honkong but GT3 is still my favorite game in the series

Jilt

I am posting this here, hoping for an answer.

In a replay, you can look backwards, but it seems impossible to look sideways, lets say, left or right. Am I missing something?

Trying to make a replay with al views and stitching them together....

Is there a trick to it, or is it not possible? Anyone?!

I am posting this here, hoping for an answer.

In a replay, you can look backwards, but it seems impossible to look sideways, lets say, left or right. Am I missing something?

Trying to make a replay with al views and stitching them together....

Is there a trick to it, or is it not possible? Anyone?!

Yeah, it's not possible when watching back a saved replay or from the race menu where you click the replay button.

However, it's possible right after a race is over (offline only), usually after the race is over or you exit during the race the replay starts automatically, in that replay mode you can look left and right and pressing the triangle buttons zooms into the car, bascially the same replay mode as in Prologue.

Jilt

Yeah, it's not possible when watching back a saved replay or from the race menu where you click the replay button.

However, it's possible right after a race is over (offline only), usually after the race is over or you exit during the race the replay starts automatically, in that replay mode you can look left and right and pressing the triangle buttons zooms into the car, bascially the same replay mode as in Prologue.

Thanks very much! Going to try this, and show you the results when finished!

It might only be possible to do two screens then, instead of three?!

televator

I sorely missed Midfield in GT5. I used to stay up 'til morning/dawn trying to squeeze every last fraction of a second in my attempt to beat out my friend's record and doing my own head to head time attacks. Nailing that last turn before the uphill toward the long straight was super satisfying. It's such a simple looking track, but there were so many instances to of learning the true and proper line to take coupled with tuning the car to take advantage of every little discovery.

Dead Man

I sorely missed Midfield in GT5. I used to stay up 'til morning/dawn trying to squeeze every last fraction of a second in my attempt to beat out my friend's record and doing my own head to head time attacks. Nailing that last turn before the uphill toward the long straight was super satisfying. It's such a simple looking track, but there were so many instances to of learning the true and proper line to take coupled with tuning the car to take advantage of every little discovery.

Chasing sub minute times on there was awesome. Such a great track.

amar212

I never understood why they didn't allow for "Classic" and "Advanced" replays. Well, just another for the long list.

Top Bottom