• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 for PS3 listed at another retailer

spats

I'm totally fine with this being PS3 only. Give me a mindblowing GT7 Prologue a few years into the PS4's life and I'll be a happy camper. :3

Don't think it's a good idea if it is just coming out on PS3.

God, it's even like Sony are trying to take away sales from PS4 to their old system if true. Makes no sense.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm gonna be so happy if GT6 is actually a PS3 game. I don't want to have to buy a new hardware for just one game.

RankoSD

I don't really care about these retailers and their shitty predictions, but if GT6 is PS3 only then they need to announce it like........tomorrow.

Radec

PD works on Valve time. Was hoping the game would be for PS4, but obviously they want to cash in on the larger PS3 user base. Drive Club it is then.

Its probably much more financially viable to just release this to PS3 because they already have the supporting Engine and Assets. They'll just improve them, add content, more premium cars, different courses, greatly improve the weather system and hownit affects the car and there ya go, 5m+ easily.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

:^)

PS3 going out with a bang give PD time to blow minds when they release GT for the PS4.

This is how I feel. There are plenty of people that will purchase this on the PS3, while there are others that are going to experience something that at least appears totally different on the PS4. Give all of your console owners something to enjoy. The PS4 GT will be amazing when it is finally released. There will be no need to try to accomodate the PS3 at all by the time. Why get a prettier GT6 when you can get a brand new experience with GT7 or GT7P?

Ducktail

I want to be excited about this, but I couldn't even put more than 10 hours on the previous one.

I agree with all the people saying this should a Ps4 title. Perhaps the better graphics could give the bang it needs nowadays.

The_Monk

I agree with some fellow GAffers that this could be a great PS4 title but on the other hand my PS3 just keeps on giving and giving. Sure the PS4 will be here, Day One or later on but right now Sony is supporting the PS3 instead of just abandon it once the PS4 releases.

And that, is why I'm okay with this.

Bgamer90

Banned
While I could somewhat understand if GT6 was released on the PS3 (due to large userbase), GT is one of the very few system seller games that the Playstation brand currently has. MANY would get a PS4 to play a new GT game. It would also be really strange to see GT6 get released on the PS3 AFTER the PS4 comes out.

Overall, after the disappointing GT5, GT6 on the PS3 would be another downgrade in the "top of the line" standard the series once had IMO. Previously, you knew that you were getting the best sim racer on a console when you bought GT. Now though? Kinda hard to say it when the game is being released on a console that will be outdated (due to its successor) after the disappointing GT5.

GT6 on the PS4 would have washed some of the bad taste that people had of GT5.

JordanN

Banned
Gran Turismo for the last gen owners. Drive Club for next gen owners.

I'm not even mad.

It's like Sony wants PS4 to fail.
I seriously doubt it. People starved for next gen will still buy it. And that's pretty much who PS4 will appeal to in the beginning.

I guess they want the cash from the massive userbase and software sales and feel confident that their launch lineup will support the system for the first year or two.

GT5 sold about 9 million units on the PS3 and the potential consumer pool is at 77~ million now. That's somewhere in the $600-900 million range in revenue if they do those numbers again. Imagine if it coincides with price drops as well.

Mobius 1

Its probably much more financially viable to just release this to PS3 because they already have the supporting Engine and Assets. They'll just improve them, add content, more premium cars, different courses, greatly improve the weather system and hownit affects the car and there ya go, 5m+ easily.

Exactly. It's going to be amazing.

KAL2006

Banned
Absurd that its on PS3
Even more absurd that Drive Club and this will be around the same time
Extremely absurd this is happening while PS4 isnt backwards compatible

omonimo

Banned
I don't understand why a ps3 version of GT 6 means no a ps4 version. Port to ps4 is extremely simple, even from ps3. This is why use 2 API, if I'm not wrong.

farisr

Should be at least a cross-gen release. They make the cars at a much higher-quality that the ps3 can't handle anyways.

But yeah, since it's running off the gt5 engine, very likely it'll only be on ps3 since they'd have to recode that engine a lot to make it work with the ps4 which would be a lot of work.

farisr

This will probably be shown as the flagship "we aren't abandoning our ps3 userbase who can't buy a ps4 yet" game.

truth be told, regardless of which system GT6 releases on... i'm going to play it endlessly.
My dream: GT7, (PS4 + Occulus Rift support)

omonimo

Banned
Should be at least a cross-gen release. They make the cars at a much higher-quality that the ps3 can't handle anyways.

But yeah, since it's running off the gt5 engine, very likely it'll only be on ps3 since they'd have to recode that engine a lot to make it work with the ps4 which would be a lot of work.

I think you misunderstood backward with to run the same ps3 engine on ps4. I don't think it's that tough.

Mobius 1

Like I said before, a PS3 could consist mostly of polish and content over the GT5 base, which could have been handled by a second team while the top tier Polyphony guys are working on the PS4 title.

eso76

gt6 being on ps3 means we won't see a proper next gen GT for a few more years.
Well, your turn, Turn 10.

Actually, though, making it a cross gen title would be easy, by using photo travel assets and the best possible IQ, some ambient occlusion and higher res shadow maps, Polyphony would still put most 'real' next gen racers to shame.

Xanadu

Banned
gt6 being on ps3 means we won't see a proper next gen GT for a few more years.
Well, your turn, Turn 10.

Actually, though, making it a cross gen title would be easy, by using photo travel assets and the best possible IQ, some ambient occlusion and higher res shadow maps, Polyphony would still put most 'real' next gen racers to shame.

i still have a feeling forza 5 wont be that good graphically, look at forza 2 for example

Well... I hope it's good.

I only hope for a PS4 version further down the road (pun intended) or for GT7 to come out in 2 years max.

I still remember that Italian car garage that put up pics of the GT team working on "PS4 Gran Turismo" though ;)

Xanadu

Banned
Yes.

This may sound like an understatement but unlike PS2 to PS3 jump, the PS3 models are very high in detail. They will look amazing on PS4.

Also know that GT5 still uses assets from GT4 as they were pretty detailed as well.

they werent, gt4 models and tracks look like crap in gt5

If this is PS3 only we'll only be seeing a full GT on PS4 3-4 years into the console's life, just like with the PS3. This is their best system seller, I just don't get it.
Unless they're confident that they can develop a new GT on PS4 with a 2 year dev cycle...

This year's first/second party line-up was already looking like the best in the PS3's history (GoWA, TLOU, Beyond, Pupeteer, Rain), if GT6 is also included the PS3 will have by far its strongest software line-up right in the year its successor is released.

They looked crapped (and the fact that they lacked interior) but they were pretty detailed. Low quality compared to PS3 assets? Sure. Detailed? You betcha!

Vehicles designed for PS3 however look amazing, and will look amazing in PS4.
I do hope they are using this time to rework the PS2 assets though.

A few of them looked pretty good actually.

N%25C3%25BCrburgring%2BGP_F_15.jpg

If this is PS3 only we'll only be seeing a full GT on PS4 3-4 years into the console's life, just like with the PS3.

Two years at most. We know that their cars are being built at a higher quality than the PS3 is capable of, and some assume that they're doing the same with the tracks. Building and engine/assets that can scale between the two console generations is what most developers are doing now.

Xanadu

Banned
They looked crapped (and the fact that they lacked interior) but they were pretty detailed. Low quality compared to PS3 assets? Sure. Detailed? You betcha!

Vehicles designed for PS3 however look amazing, and will look amazing in PS4.

they werent detailed though

i know some look worse than others but still they are not good enough, even forza 2's low poly cars were 10x the detail

A few of them looked pretty good actually.

the only ones that looked ok were the gt psp models but you still didnt want to get close as they fell apart pretty quickly

Top Bottom