• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 for PS3 listed at another retailer

Takao

Banned
They changed the box art btw:

nUUA7cb.jpg

So, what's that..around 3 years in November?

Surely that's enough time for a major upgrade.

Can't wait to see what's in store...

A little longer than that. Kaz first mentioned that they had features that weren't going to make it into GT5 at TGS 2010. This thing has been in the cooker for quite a while.

How is that possible? The game was delayed from early November to last of November.

Because some of the features were likely too big for them to fit into a two month+ dev span. And they never really added any significant features into GT5. Spec 2 was basically just them revamping some things while adding new cars and tracks.

Ashler

Why wouldn't they release it on the PS3 with a 75million install base? This doesn't mean that it will not be out for the Ps4 as well.

It's an instant hit for them on the PS3. I'm surprised at the reactions, honestly. The PS4 is going to be a hot seller upon its release (especially if the price is right) because people are hungry for new hardware. The hardcore will propel sales of the PS4 with or without GT6. GT6 will be used to push PS4 hardware in year two or three of the PS4's life cycle instead. The user base simply isn't there for them to release this as a PS4 game.

Because some of the features were likely too big for them to fit into a two month+ dev span. And they never really added any significant features into GT5. Spec 2 was basically just them revamping some things while adding new cars and tracks.

Right, but the PS3 does still have its limitation, and PD were building their assets for the future. I mean really they are just limiting themselves and their vision. I wonder what more they can add when GT releases on the PS4.

Right, but the PS3 does still have its limitation, and PD were building their assets for the future. I mean really they are just limiting themselves and their vision. I wonder what more they can add when GT releases on the PS4.

There were certainly thing that they couldn't include in GT5 due to hardware limitations. The Youtube upload didn't make the cut due to ram limitations, and the headtracking doesn't work in all modes for the same reason. But there are other things in which ram shouldn't get in the way. They could redo the GT mode without ram getting in the way. I think the same could apply to livery editors and more customization. PD clearly has inhouse tools that allow them to do more exotic modifications to existing cars. Different racing types with very specific rules (this was something that was planned for GT5, at least with NASCAR). More racing types (DTM, FIA GT) and fleshing out the kart mode and Course Maker. And then you just have general modes that they could add that shouldn't get in the way.

Also, I really do hope that they bring back the pre-race menus from Prologue. I know that it would require a lot of work since they need to have an area built for every track in the game. But I really liked that feature.

amar212

What we still haven't experienced and was clearly planned:

2006 plan for GT series on next-gen

2006 E3 GTHD demo (bikes and cars on track together - notice how game was labelled as "20% finished" on the standardised info-scale for TGS presentations below the screen)

pKzbM.jpg

2008 plan for next-gen GT - TGS 2008

G7akmOh.jpg

- drift contest
- team builder
- club builder
- coloring/livery editor
- number plate editor
- race builder tool

All above are "Online Features" BTW

Full presentation video >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF0qe618RcI
(backthen there was still a "Premium/Classic" concept explored, scrapped later in favour of full GT5 development - but DLC planning was already underway)

2009 Sony Keynote

- World Map

- Online Replay Album
- Youtube export (probably will not happen due to crazy size of HD video, but you never know, maybe they will test incoming PS4 *share* functionality)

Interview with Jostiq, TGS 2009, September 2009:

What are your plans for Gran Turismo 5?

GT5 is a title that was pretty much remade from scratch, but because we did that, the next version is actually going to be faster -- the time period it's going to be released. But I think when GT5 comes out, we're still going to have things that are left undone, and whether we complete that in GT6, or the next version for PSP, I'm not sure yet. I've been working very hard for the last 15 years, and I think that hard work is just going to continue.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/28/tgs-2009-interview-gran-turismo-5s-kazunori-yamauchi/

And now only imagine with what they've come with in past 4 years.

McLovin

Ps3 has a great install base. Don't see any logical reason for it not to come to ps3. Hopefully it's a multiplatform release.

saladine1

I would love to see the return of REAL automatic transmission for GT6.
I don't know if people remember, but in the Japanese version of GT4 Prologue, one of the Mercedes SL's actually had a real auto as opposed to a manual auto. The shifts behaved exactly like it would irl.
For some reason though, this feature was dropped for the full release...

I really want this world map mode to be done. I don't remember what Kaz said about it back then, but it sounded really great. :lol

amar212

E3 will be legendary. Kaz needs to come on-stage and give us TT x GT 6.

It has to be noted how director of Tourist Trophy project - Takamasa Shichisawa - is working with Evolution Studios for last 2 years, on DriveClub project most probably.

Although, Kazunori confirmed he would love to make another TT in his 2013 interview:

“I would really love to make another one of those. We don’t have any actual concrete plans at the moment, though I’m constantly awaiting the day when I can meet Tourist Trophy again. Really, I want you to know that I’m very glad people want another Tourist Trophy game.”

http://www.play-mag.co.uk/latest-playstation-news/new-tourist-trophy-game-a-possibility/

I would love to see the return of REAL automatic transmission for GT6.
I don't know if people remember, but in the Japanese version of GT4 Prologue, one of the Mercedes SL's actually had a real auto as opposed to a manual auto. The shifts behaved exactly like it would irl. For some reason though, this feature was dropped for the full release...

I do not recall that at all, I will check it once I get home, thank you for the heads up.

GT4:prologue also had one great feature that never made to later games: aerodynamic stall. You can notice it best on one of the tests where JGTC Supra is driven on Fuji track. Great effect that appeared only in GT4:prologue.

I really hope he keeps bikes out of Gran Turismo. I know this sounds selfish, but I didn't get a G27 and a wheelstand only to have the career mode cluttered with bike sessions.

Solal

I really hope he keeps bikes out of Gran Turismo. I know this sounds selfish, but I didn't get a G27 and a wheelstand only to have the career mode cluttered with bike sessions.

Same here.
I think GT should be for cars fans and Tourist Trophy for Motorcycles fans. I love cars as much as i don't care about motocycles.

AllenShrz

I wouldn't mind... ONLY if they have fix the audio!

Really, those synthesized car engines are the worst.

I cant even comprehend that supposed to be super accurate, yet they sound terrible. And my sound system does shake brick walls.

Learn from Shift and Dirt, they know audio.

JamboGT

I wouldn't mind... ONLY if they have fix the audio!

Really, those synthesized car engines are the worst.

I cant even comprehend that supposed to be super accurate, yet they sound terrible. And my sound system does shake brick walls.

Learn from Shift and Dirt, they know audio.

Whilst I agree that GT has a lot of work to do on engine audio I would hate if they went to the crappy exaggerated audio that Shift uses.

Dan Greenawalt is gonna have a field day this E3 if this is true...

It would surprise me if T10's PR team would make him go full douche mode again. I think there was quite a backlash after E3 2009/Forza 3 and their tone definitely changed with the Forza 4 reveal. I don't expect more than something like "the only next gen driving simulator".

Xater

Drive club better be phenomenal.

Yeah if this only comes out on PS3 it better be.

The GT series has amazing legs and could have been a phenomenal launch title. Get people early interested in the console and still get sales from people jumping in later. I really don#t get why they would do this, but then I am probably a fringe case who will not buy any curent gen titles this fall.

AllenShrz

Whilst I agree that GT has a lot of work to do on engine audio I would hate if they went to the crappy exaggerated audio that Shift uses.

The engine audio on those game are very good if you take out the "arcade" sounds.

Well, Dirt 2 and Shift 2 that is.

Also, you can hear very well the chassis of the car, if little stones are hitting it from below or the stress applied on the the chassis.

Well, we don't really know for sure if Forza 5 is even a launch title yet.

When Horizon came out, Turn 10 said that there would be a Forza game released every year "To become a yearly franchise"

So unless Forza 5 is a 360 game, then it will be a launch game for next xbox.

The engine audio on those game are very good if you take out the "arcade" sounds.

Well, Dirt 2 and Shift 2 that is.

Also, you can hear very well the chassis of the car, if little stones are hitting it from below or the stress applied on the the chassis.

I don't think anyone disagrees with the idea that GT's engine sounds need to improve. Even Kaz has suggested that it's an area that they might need to make "sexier". But I don't know if NFS is what people want. I think the general feeling is that they kind of overblow the engine sounds to a Hollywood level. I think that the devs have even admitted that.

But it definitely needs to improve. I want the SLS AMG to actually sound like it's supposed to. The sound that it makes it absolutely beautiful.

hodgy100

a bug? so they fixed the jaggies? and yes they did, the veyron looks good from afar but when you get close the lack of detail is pretty bad, still not good enough to be in GT5

those jaggies are from low resolution (1/4 res) alpha blended textures, it has nothing to do with the model.

Is there any other "serous" racing game out there that has worst audio than GT?

Forza 4.

The engine sounds the same no matter where the camera is. It's like your head is strapped to it.

At least in GT5, the audio is dynamic to where you are. Using hood view even gives you an intense wind noise at high speeds. Which I love.

saladine1

I don't think anyone disagrees with the idea that GT's engine sounds need to improve. Even Kaz has suggested that it's an area that they might need to make "sexier". But I don't know if NFS is what people want. I think the general feeling is that they kind of overblow the engine sounds to a Hollywood level. I think that the devs have even admitted that.

But it definitely needs to improve. I want the SLS AMG to actually sound like it's supposed to. The sound that it makes it absolutely beautiful.

Whilst the engine notes are faithful in NFS, they've obviously given it an aggressive undertone. This is perfect solution for a game like NFS where it's all about the action and drama. Hollywood effects apply here imo.
Games like GT and Forza don't need this 'over the topness'.
I truly believe the best implementation of sound progression(not actual notes) was Forza 2.
Forza 2 had relatively stock notes for stock vehicles. They sounded pretty tame. As you continued to apply upgrades however, such as race exhausts,big cams and turbos, the audio would evolve accordingly adding 'racey' effects which is the most realistic way of doing things.
However, in Forza 3, Turn 10 chose to run a middle path where the stock vehicles didn't sound stock anymore but had slight aggressiveness built in from the get go. Changes to audio didn't occur as you upgraded. This pissed me off to no end.

Forza 4 implemented a different strategy. Stock vehicles were again given a slight bump and aggressiveness from the get-go but also included a technique called DSP. This DSP via algorithms in the game engine gave a 'race distortion' as exhausts, intakes..etc were upgraded. The distortion effects were also used when cars struggled over crests and hills which sounded very nice.

Again, imo, the best route to take would be Forza 2's. However, with the amount of cars in both games reaching insane numbers, the likelihood of this happening is slim...a shame really.

I mean the driving itself, I don't really notice the visuals since I use cockpit cam.

What I meant is the camera dips, tilts and shakes in a much tighter and natural fashion than Forza does it. You can get a good understanding of what the car is doing from that alone.

I'm not saying your wrong, my first hours in Forza 4's demo were disappointing, I said at the time it felt like the tyres were flat but sticking with it imo the driving model is fine.

rvy

Banned
What I meant is the camera dips, tilts and shakes in a much tighter and natural fashion than Forza does it. You can get a good understanding of what the car is doing from that alone.

I'm not saying your wrong, my first hours in Forza 4's demo were disappointing, I said at the time it felt like the tyres were flat but sticking with it imo the driving model is fine.

Oh, I thought that you were talking about shaders and shit. Yes, I agree with all of that then.

ruttyboy

I don't really know about in race engine notes, sometimes it sounds OK, sometimes it sounds too 'electronic'. However, something I have noticed is, the sound of the cars starting up when you select them in the garage is spot on from what I can tell. The old cars have that distinctive 'about to break down' ticking quality that modern engines have lost and similarly modern engines have appropriate starter noise and such.

I presume they recorded a sound file of every car they've ever modelled starting up and have used that.

Top Bottom