• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

ruttyboy

Another hotfix today, with the comprehensive patch notes of:

"The vehicle dynamics for some four wheel drive cars has been adjusted."

Great, that clears everything up. Why even bother doing patch notes when they give zero useful information?

Dead Man

Not at all. The AI's always been crap in the GT games. I'd argue that the AI in GT6 is better than its ever been (still far from perfect or even very challenging). So I don't think the AI has anything to do with it. The thing that kept folks playing GT5 (or GT4!) were the various challenges (licenses, special events, time trials, missions, etc), not the AI. With no challenge to getting golds, there's no reason to keep playing GT6.

That is presuming everyone likes the same things about a game. I have never cared for getting golds on tests, I like actually racing. And yes, the AI has always been shit, which is why the racing was always a bit shit. You had to hamstring yourself and drive around the AI to make anything like a race. It sounds like even that is not really possible now. So for those who want to race, what is left? As you correctly so, there is no reason to keep playing.

Repo Man

I wish they brought back the vs. AI seasonals but balance them out in a way that at max pp the race is fairly easy because then theres added replayability in seeing how far you can lower your pp and still beat the AI. Used to love those in GT5 when they were first introduced.

IISANDERII

That is presuming everyone likes the same things about a game. I have never cared for getting golds on tests, I like actually racing. And yes, the AI has always been shit, which is why the racing was always a bit shit. You had to hamstring yourself and drive around the AI to make anything like a race. It sounds like even that is not really possible now. So for those who want to race, what is left? As you correctly so, there is no reason to keep playing.
Not sure if seriousness

Ding-Ding

Anyone else notice they have started listing the smaller patches in the notifications menu (titled hotfixes).

So at least we will know what the smaller patches are doing now

conman

If you're looking for ways to hamstring yourself to make the singleplayer races against AI more challenging, I can think of more than a few ways: use seriously underpowered cars (200pp or more difference), no assists, comfort hard tyres, no after-market parts or tuning, play only S class, etc., etc. If you're willing to hamstring yourself, there are things you can do.

For the rest of us, this series has always been about pushing you and your cars as far as you can. And the challenges (licenses, etc) have always until now been challenging enough to make that worthwhile. But with GT6, that challenge is gone. Racing against the AI was more just to put some minor obstacles in your way while you unlocked more content, but the AI was never part of the challenge of the game. For many long-time fans, the game has basically come down to just the Seasonal Events--and they have their own set of issues.

Dead Man

If you're looking for ways to hamstring yourself to make the singleplayer races against AI more challenging, I can think of more than a few ways: use seriously underpowered cars (200pp or more difference), no assists, comfort hard tyres, no after-market parts or tuning, play only S class, etc., etc. If you're willing to hamstring yourself, there are things you can do.

For the rest of us, this series has always been about pushing you and your cars as far as you can. And the challenges (licenses, etc) have always until now been challenging enough to make that worthwhile. But with GT6, that challenge is gone. Racing against the AI was more just to put some minor obstacles in your way while you unlocked more content, but the AI was never part of the challenge of the game. For many long-time fans, the game has basically come down to just the Seasonal Events--and they have their own set of issues.

LOL, you've done it again :)

-Amon-

I was eager to read some positive things about this game coming off of Forza 5 which I need a urgent break from. Night/day cycles, 40 something tracks, more cars...

Game has to be good for a casual racing gamer, right?

Game is good for everybody that considers Forza good i'd say.

ruttyboy

I am talking about the updates that don't have a new version number (the smaller ones after 1.04 release).

EDIT. Just seen your newer post on this page.

Sorry, I was in a bad mood earlier. Still think it's totally pointless doing no info patch notes though.

My only real disappointment is that the longer races - with pit stops - don't come until the S series, and when they do arrive, they are just a few singular events listed. None of the multiple ones as in the earlier classes.

I wish there were more stuff done with the lower classes and lengthy races though. I always prefer racing mid range cars in racing games.

I am correct in thinking they said B class would be making a comeback? I can't begin to imagine how many hours I spent watching my little Robert racing around those tracks, telling him when to push.....watching him fail every single time to negotiate the barrier at Monaco where you enter the chicane after exiting the tunnel :)

Seanspeed

Banned
I was eager to read some positive things about this game coming off of Forza 5 which I need a urgent break from. Night/day cycles, 40 something tracks, more cars...

Game has to be good for a casual racing gamer, right?
Depends on what you're looking for. If you just need better content variety, then yea, its a good buy.

I just bought it the other day and am having a decent time with it. I was upset to see there's no course maker and everything feels totally easy to drive after playing Assetto Corsa for a while, but the amount of content is really great. I'm especially glad that there's a lot better Euro and American car selection in GT6. I thought GT5 lacked in that regard quite badly.

Juicy Bob

Thinking of finally dipping into this game now that I've found it fo' cheap at retail.

One thing I did want to ask, how is the PP system this time? It's just that on GT5, I have a Super GT300 Lexus and a souped-up Caterham Seven that have identical PP, but the Caterham is far, far slower - as you'd expect.

I'm thinking of trying to set up some sort of online touring car series and it would help if cars with similar PP actually are quite similar in performance...

Seanspeed

Banned
Thinking of finally dipping into this game now that I've found it fo' cheap at retail.

One thing I did want to ask, how is the PP system this time? It's just that on GT5, I have a Super GT300 Lexus and a souped-up Caterham Seven that have identical PP, but the Caterham is far, far slower - as you'd expect.

I'm thinking of trying to set up some sort of online touring car series and it would help if cars with similar PP actually are quite similar in performance...
I'm sure somebody with more experience will be able to give you a more thorough answer, but I've noticed just browsing through the dealerships that the PP system is definitely a bit of a joke still. I see race cars with less PP than road cars all over the place, for instance.

I don't know what kind of system they use for calculating this, but its awful and needs to be completely re-thought.

Juicy Bob

I'm sure somebody with more experience will be able to give you a more thorough answer, but I've noticed just browsing through the dealerships that the PP system is definitely a bit of a joke still. I see race cars with less PP than road cars all over the place, for instance.

I don't know what kind of system they use for calculating this, but its awful and needs to be completely re-thought.
Yeah, that seems to be pretty much the same as in GT5. It's almost like it's tied directly to power-to-weight ratio and ignores things like aero and mechanical grip.

IISANDERII

No, I wouldn't expect. The Caterham can dominate races if in the right environment.
The PP system isn't a rubberband, it's a summation.

-Amon-

Its just not a very good one.

Every summarization can't give you an exact idea of a car performance.

It also depends on the track if you think about it. On a fast track an hevy car with lots of power can be faster than a lighter one with less power, being both categorized with the same performance points, and on a twisty, slower track the result is reversered.

It's there just to give an idea of the car potential, don't dig too much in it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Every summarization can't give you an exact idea of a car performance.

It also depends on the track if you think about it. On a fast track an hevy car with lots of power can be faster than a lighter one with less power, being both categorized with the same performance points, and on a twisty, slower track the result is reversered.

It's there just to give an idea of the car potential, don't dig too much in it.
I realize it cant be perfect, but its particularly bad in this game. There are *other* games which do a much better job.

I mean, when you see road cars(not hyper cars, just regular high performance cars) above race cars, you know there's something very wrong.

You can ignore it, but it seems to be a pretty important part of the 'class' system in this game. For single player, at least, I haven't really done multiplayer yet(only had the game a few days). But I imagine its even more important in multiplayer as you need some sort of general umbrella standard to determine what class of cars people will be racing with.

I think for anybody interested in good, close competition, a somewhat accurate performance indicator is an invaluable thing to have.

-Amon-

I'm half trough this and i'm finding it really interesting. I'll skip on the parts everybody is expecting to find here, but i was really not expecting origami being compared to 3d car modeling ( and for good reasons, as explained in the doc ), or a surf boad maker.

Good insight on Kaz himself and some of the difficult processes involved in making racing sims and videogames.

IISANDERII

I realize it cant be perfect, but its particularly bad in this game. There are *other* games which do a much better job.

I mean, when you see road cars(not hyper cars, just regular high performance cars) above race cars, you know there's something very wrong.

You can ignore it, but it seems to be a pretty important part of the 'class' system in this game. For single player, at least, I haven't really done multiplayer yet(only had the game a few days). But I imagine its even more important in multiplayer as you need some sort of general umbrella standard to determine what class of cars people will be racing with.

I think for anybody interested in good, close competition, a somewhat accurate performance indicator is an invaluable thing to have.
I think the PP system works as it should when it comes to road cars vs race cars, generally.
If the PP is lower, it will favour the road cars usually because at lower speeds, the extra grip of the race cars is redundant so it loses out on its PP for straight line speed.
Above 600PP and the road cars will generally be unable to handle the extra power and higher speed conditions that race cars can.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think the PP system works as it should when it comes to road cars vs race cars, generally.
If the PP is lower, it will favour the road cars usually because at lower speeds, the extra grip of the race cars is redundant so it loses out on its PP for straight line speed.
Above 600PP and the road cars will generally be unable to handle the extra power and higher speed conditions that race cars can.
Well for one, you're admitting that the system is broken if it varies with different PP ranges and different cars.

Two, this notion that extra grip at low speeds being redundant is quite ridiculous. Anytime there's parts of a track that involve slowing and accelerating, extra grip is useful. Very useful. Its why race cars are what they are.

In no universe should a normal high performance car be able to compete with a purpose-built race car on a track of pretty much any type.

-Amon-

Well for one, you're admitting that the system is broken if it varies with different PP ranges and different cars.

Oh please. The idea in itself that a simple number can identify the performance capability of a car is a nonsense.

Does it mean the ability of setting a single laptime ? Or the time it takes to complete a typical race distance ? Or the time it takes to complete an endurance race ?

If it is a rally car ? Tarmac or snow or gravel ?

It has no sense in itself when applied to a broad range of cars as the ones present in GT, apart of that of giving a really general idea of what the car is capable of.

Stop please.

IISANDERII

Two, this notion that extra grip at low speeds being redundant is quite ridiculous. Anytime there's parts of a track that involve slowing and accelerating, extra grip is useful. Very useful. Its why race cars are what they are.

In no universe should a normal high performance car be able to compete with a purpose-built race car on a track of pretty much any type.
No, I'm saying if there's a race at 550PP, road cars will have the advantage over race cars. At 650PP, race cars will. This is because at those different performance levels, the importance of certain attributes diminish while others expand.

Extra grip is redundant because it's at a cost of other things going towards your PP rating. To give an example, you don't need big fat rear race tires if you're only sending 100bhp through them.

gokieks

It is an imperfect solution to a problem that really has none - you simply can't condense everything that makes up a car's "performance" into a single metric to compare between all cars. What it gives is just give a ballpark figure - two cars of similar types (e.g. FR cars in a weight class) with similar PP figures will probably not be *too* far off of each other. But the more dissimilar the cars are, the more likely that there will be huge variations in results depending on other factors (a pretty extreme example of this would be a Caterham R500 and a Lamborghini Murcielago).

Seanspeed

Banned
Oh please. The idea in itself that a simple number can identify the performance capability of a car is a nonsense.

Does it mean the ability of setting a single laptime ? Or the time it takes to complete a typical race distance ? Or the time it takes to complete an endurance race ?

If it is a rally car ? Tarmac or snow or gravel ?

It has no sense in itself when applied to a broad range of cars as the ones present in GT, apart of that of giving a really general idea of what the car is capable of.

Stop please.
Telling me to stop? lol Its a pretty obvious flaw that doesn't need such hard defending.

Again, nobody is asking for a perfect solution. And yes, in a game like GT, we're talking about laptimes around a typical road circuit. That is quite obvious where the main point of interest would be in terms of performance ability for a car in a game like this. You can find your loopholes for the argument wherever you like, but you know what I'm saying here.

The whole system serves a very direct purpose that has implications in terms of the competition you face, so its an important matter for anyone who is worried about that sort of thing, which a multiplayer-focused racer like myself would be. I'm guessing that's not your thing. Or there's some other system to 'class' races online that I'm not aware of.

No, I'm saying if there's a race at 550PP, road cars will have the advantage over race cars. At 650PP, race cars will. This is because at those different performance levels, the importance of certain attributes diminish while others expand.

Extra grip is redundant because it's at a cost of other things going towards your PP rating. To give an example, you don't need big fat rear race tires if you're only sending 100bhp through them.
I get what you're saying, actually. The system is broken. It's accuracy between race cars and road cars(which was only an example of the system's failure, not its sole failing) is dependent on the PP range, meaning it breaks down at certain points and with certain machinery. That's literally 'broken'.

And no, extra grip is never redundant. Even a 100hp racer can make do with extra grip around a race track. But I'm not even talking about 100hp race cars. I'm talking about 300-400hp race cars that would *never* be beaten around a race track by a normal high-performance race car.

I cant seriously be having this argument.

Seanspeed

Banned
It is an imperfect solution to a problem that really has none - you simply can't condense everything that makes up a car's "performance" into a single metric to compare between all cars. What it gives is just give a ballpark figure - two cars of similar types (e.g. FR cars in a weight class) with similar PP figures will probably not be *too* far off of each other. But the more dissimilar the cars are, the more likely that there will be huge variations in results depending on other factors (a pretty extreme example of this would be a Caterham R500 and a Lamborghini Murcielago).
Its an imperfect solution that can be improved, is my point. There are *other* games out there who calculate this aspect much more accurately. Perhaps if you guys played these *other* games at some point, you'd realize that GT has a pretty shit system for this. I was simply answering a question for a person who asked(somebody who obviously cares about this aspect like I do), so I'm unsure why there's such a hard defense for an obviously flawed system.

IISANDERII

Telling me to stop? lol Its a pretty obvious flaw that doesn't need such hard defending.

Again, nobody is asking for a perfect solution. And yes, in a game like GT, we're talking about laptimes around a typical road circuit. That is quite obvious where the main point of interest would be in terms of performance ability for a car in a game like this. You can find your loopholes for the argument wherever you like, but you know what I'm saying here.

The whole system serves a very direct purpose that has implications in terms of the competition you face, so its an important matter for anyone who is worried about that sort of thing, which a multiplayer-focused racer like myself would be. I'm guessing that's not your thing. Or there's some other system to 'class' races online that I'm not aware of.

I get what you're saying, actually. The system is broken. It's accuracy between race cars and road cars(which was only an example of the system's failure, not its sole failing) is dependent on the PP range, meaning it breaks down at certain points and with certain machinery. That's literally 'broken'.

And no, extra grip is never redundant. Even a 100hp racer can make do with extra grip around a race track. But I'm not even talking about 100hp race cars. I'm talking about 300-400hp race cars that would *never* be beaten around a race track by a normal high-performance race car.

I cant seriously be having this argument.
No, we're not talking about lap times at all. It's a measure of performance, like HP but an aggregate of other things as well. Competition? PP is not boost, it's not rubberbanding.

And in GT6, the road cars can be fitted with all racing parts anyway, right down to the chassis.

No the PP system isn't perfect, but it works pretty well in my experience. Just don't devote all your PP towards grip, have barely anything left for HP and then complain it's broken because you cannot win a race. You have to find a balance.

Seanspeed

Banned
No, we're not talking about lap times at all. It's a measure of performance, like HP but an aggregate of other things as well. Competition? PP is not boost, it's not rubberbanding.

And in GT6, the road cars can be fitted with all racing parts anyway, right down to the chassis.

No the PP system isn't perfect, but it works pretty well in my experience. Just don't devote all your PP towards grip, have barely anything left for HP and then complain it's broken because you cannot win a race. You have to find a balance.
In a game like GT, we *should* be talking about laptimes. If we're not, then something is wrong.

I have no idea what you're talking about with boost and rubberbanding and whatnot. Nobody has mentioned any of these things, nor are they relevant.

The PP system is fundamentally broken. It either works in all cases or it doesn't work. Having it work in a few, rare instances(which I'm unconvinced it does) does not excuse all the times it doesn't work. I'm not quite sure you understand the implications of this when it comes to forming somewhat equalized competition with more than one model of car.

And of course you need to balance your upgrades with a car depending on what you're trying to achieve. That's not what we're talking about.

IISANDERII

In a game like GT, we *should* be talking about laptimes. If we're not, then something is wrong.

Well, to me PP isn't about lap times and I get on fine with GT5 and GT6. I can race in any lobby and have largely no complaints about competitive fairness. And I'm not some awesome Schumacher type either.

Dead Man

In the online portion of the game you don't race against AI.

And? You are suggesting open lobbies make for realistic racing? Or should I have to rely on having a bunchg of mates all on at the same time before I can have a decent race in a driving game?

It doesn't magically make for good races. It doesn't excuse the shithouse AI.

Seriously, explain why the fuck you would think I was just trolling or not serious with hte post you replied to.

IISANDERII

And? You are suggesting open lobbies make for realistic racing? Or should I have to rely on having a bunchg of mates all on at the same time before I can have a decent race in a driving game?

It doesn't magically make for good races. It doesn't excuse the shithouse AI.

Seriously, explain why the fuck you would think I was just trolling or not serious with hte post you replied to.
Because your post was a blanket statement about the racing, it didn't apply. Now it makes sense with your qualifiers.

Dead Man

Because GT6 is a game with an online racing component.

It is also a game with a graphical component. Did you think I was talking about graphics?

Lets go back to the post you replied to originally:

What part of that is not clearly talking about offline racing against the AI? Spelling error aside, it should be pretty clear I was talking about SP.

Additionally, if that was your query, why not just ask that instead of a serious of utterly informationless posts?

IISANDERII

It is also a game with a graphical component. Did you think I was talking about graphics?

Lets go back to the post you replied to originally:

What part of that is not clearly talking about offline racing against the AI? Spelling error aside, it should be pretty clear I was talking about SP.

Additionally, if that was your query, why not just ask that instead of a serious of utterly informationless posts?
I asked you "what about online" and it took you all these posts to finally say you dislike it. And that's cool, I don't like it sometimes either but I'm not going to pretend it doesn't exist. You're talking about the racing and you mention the AI as a point of criticism only, as if there's no other alternative to racing.

Dead Man

I asked you "what about online" and it took you all these posts to finally say you dislike it. And that's cool, I don't like it sometimes either but I'm not going to pretend it doesn't exist. You're talking about the racing and you mention the AI as a point of criticism only, as if there's no other alternative to racing.

I don't dislike online. I never said I don't like the online. You are reading shit that isn't there. I'm not sure what your defect is, but I'll be dropping out of this. It is going nowhere.

IISANDERII

I don't dislike online. I never said I don't like the online. You are reading shit that isn't there. I'm not sure what your defect is, but I'll be dropping out of this. It is going nowhere.
I'm just happy we agree that there's plenty of great racing left in GT6.

The sad thing is not that the PP system is broken, this everyone knows it, the bad part is that they've tested for years on Prologue and 5 and didn't changed one bit for GT6. They saw Time trials being dominated by a single car almost every time and just thought things were fine.

PP points should make online racing easier, but they offer little help considering the discrepancies and the "cheat cars" within their system.

Top Bottom