• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

Dead Man

I think you should learn the difference between 'constructive criticism' and 'shitting up threads'

Hint, constructive criticism ended about 30 pages ago.

Constructive criticism implies the people responsible are listening and interested. Constructive criticism never had a chance.

IISANDERII

This is my problem. They know these problems exist and they are legitimate problems. Even worse, most of them are in direct conflict with Kaz's own prescribed vision/values. Attention to detail, but incorrect car specifications. Near perfect car models, but poor audio samples. Amazing track suspension relationship, but horrible collisions. And on and on.

I only got to meet Kaz for a fleeting moment at the Jalopnik film festival. My impression was one of a person with incredible intellect. I would say almost a savant persona. I assume, based on this statement and what we know in the public realm, that Kaz is the commander at PD. GT is developed under his vision, and his vision alone. Sure they may make a change here and a change there, but the structure of the end product is his own vision, for better or for worse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd6LYCOoqEA

amar212

I don't know, but I always loved all GAF driving communities.

Infamous hatepit of GTvsForza thread was a revelation where I learned we actually share same love and reasonings, even the most rabbid neglectors were more sane than on nost other forums.

I find lots of constructive crticism here and I don't have any true issues with anything.

Also, my personal opinion on GT series have much more criticism than probably perceivable but I do not display it every time I post. My post history can reveal the amount of complaints I have, however I do not have an urge to repeat it over and over again.

I am probably strange, who knows.

Juicy Bob

I think that one of the issues with GT6 is that there is the least amount of difference to its prequel than any other game in the series. If you look at previous games, there's a much more significant difference between GT2 to GT1, GT4 to GT3 and GT5 to GT4, etc.

This Sixth game contains a lot of the same stuff that was in GT5, without any massive differences that make it stand out on its own merits. Therefore, the majority of the things that people really like about GT6 is the same as what they really liked about GT5, and we've already had a lot of gawping and praise about the best features of GT5 years ago. So of course, it's only natural that there's going to be less focus on what's really good about GT6 and more focus on what isn't as good as it could be.

ruttyboy

The following post is brought to you by the spirit of constructive criticism.

For me, they fixed most of the small niggly things that annoyed with GT5, my only real complaints with GT6 are:

• The terrible AI
  • No shuffle racing
  • PD's abysmal communication
That last point especially is particularly grating. They effectively sold the game on the promise of future content, then the only times they mention the content they are mysterious on everything but the date it will arrive, and then it doesn't arrive with no explanation why or update on a future date.

If they're going to be reticent I'd rather they just say nothing and then spring it on us when it is actually ready. I still have *some* hope that we'll see something in Feb (I'm a hopeless dreamer), but they have three days left! Perhaps they forgot it was a short month...

IISANDERII

I meant how the track surface (little undulations, bumps, etc) are translated into car movement. That is more of an issue with the aero physics.
You mean these kinda bumps?
I find myself rolling or 2 wheeling more often at lower speeds. Nothing to do with aerodynamics, the gravity is very low in the game, even after the roll the car just floats upright in a hilarious way. There are many more examples.

muteki

I think that one of the issues with GT6 is that there is the least amount of difference to its prequel than any other game in the series. If you look at previous games, there's a much more significant difference between GT2 to GT1, GT4 to GT3 and GT5 to GT4, etc.

This is quite apparent to me as well. If you just look at the delta in content from GT5 to GT6, it is quite low. The jumps from 1->2 and from 3->4 just seem more massive and significant in comparison.

I think in general it is easier to criticize a racing game like GT6 because a lot of the people playing it are familiar with racing, drive cars on a day to day basis, and know very well what the game is missing because they can experience the real thing any day. Compared to something like an action/adventure where there is little/no real world context it is difficult to come up with as many ways to critique because we can't say "I've fought that monster/made that jump/used this weapon in real life and it totally doesn't work like that!"

paskowitz

You mean these kinda bumps?
I find myself rolling or 2 wheeling more often at lower speeds. Nothing to do with aerodynamics, the gravity is very low in the game, even after the roll the car just floats upright in a hilarious way. There are many more examples.

That specific example is not out of the realm of possibility. I mean, I have heard of cars flipping because they hit a cone wile cornering at an auto X event. That being said, yes, the gravity is bad.

The following post is brought to you by the spirit of constructive criticism.

For me, they fixed most of the small niggly things that annoyed with GT5, my only real complaints with GT6 are:

• The terrible AI
  • No shuffle racing
  • PD's abysmal communication
That last point especially is particularly grating. They effectively sold the game on the promise of future content, then the only times they mention the content they are mysterious on everything but the date it will arrive, and then it doesn't arrive with no explanation why or update on a future date.

If they're going to be reticent I'd rather they just say nothing and then spring it on us when it is actually ready. I still have *some* hope that we'll see something in Feb (I'm a hopeless dreamer), but they have three days left! Perhaps they forgot it was a short month...

In the same spirit i would go on a different subject:

* The new tire model is horrible. It doesn´t simulate wear good enough, it has no flex/pressure/overheating and uses insanely wrong grip levels. Considering it´s the new model after the partnership with Yokohama, i expected much, much more. It was wrong in GT Academy, didn´t they noticed that? They just kept the same and it´s just wrong.

*Sounds, all of them, from the hideous collisions samples to the engine, wind and other mechanichal sounds.

*Lack of leaderboards, matchmaking, online tournaments.

Only after those that i would start going on about missing features and stuff... but if they could fix those three... man, it would be a totally different game.

Playing other racing games really helps you see what´s an obvious shortcoming in GT. Last night i was trying the new MP12C GT3 on Assetto Corsa and running on Silverstone i went over the cobblestones in one of the corners and my car was damaged!

I mean, so simple, most people probably won´t even notice. Of course tha car was damaged, you´re not supposed to hit those high curbs... and if it´s a simulator... it´s one of those details that if you "get it" as a developer is a no brainer.

That type of stuff pisses of the userbase, you hear hundreds of interviews about pushing realism, you have documentaries detailing that only to miss those little details like this one, ending up with unrealistic Need for Spped like laps in GT Academy because, well, they just "don´t get it".

Considering the resources they have the other good stuff they do, you can´t help but to be frustrated by the shortcomings.

MGR

3 years between GT5 and GT6. PD delivered:
-----
Added:
- Improved UI
- Some new cars and a handful of tracks
- Slightly improved physics
- Qualifying mode and 'real' slipstream for online
- Wheel diameter change, NO2, Stars, Moon (WTF?)
-----
Deleted:
- Shuffle mode (absolutely infuriating)
- Track editor
- All community features
- Acceleration test mode
- GT5 photo locations
- B-Spec (then again, who cares)
- 3D Mode
- GTTV
Same dumb shit from GT5:
- Can make stage 3 engine mods while online, but can't change the oil.
- Can change car in online lobby, but can't change car in offline mode (eg free run) without quitting the track entirely and returning to garage.
- Static wheel width. But at least now with the diameter change you can make them look like wagon wheels.
New dumb shit in GT6:
- Microtransactions for in game currency.
- Game breaking pit stop bug (screws up physics and tyre wear)
3 months in and it's still there!
-----
The whole single player reeks from the stench of casualfication too. SRF everywhere, licence tests so easy an oven mitten wearing blind sloth can Gold, competition AI obliterated in every single race event. Single player is mind-numbingly boring.

Poor sales deserved.

sonofbryce

Neo Member
The game's not perfect but it's Gran Turismo. I'm having fun with it!

If you wanna play online and compare times, add me on PSN: sonofbryce.

3 months and only 1 race online with gaf I'm so disappointed :(

You´re way ahead, in this frame time i completed a grand total of one online race. I just don´t have any patience to go through dozens of stupid lobbies, so there´s that.

In other news, there´s going to be GT Academy in 30 countries this year, including Brazil.

Well, well well, talk about an interesting turn of events. I´m too old for this shit but i won´t resist at least trying to qualify for the final.

They should run the academy on the PS4, could be a good way to showcase the hardware. Running last years academy on weak ass PS3 was stupid, since the game wasn´t running at 60 fps and the competition is all about precision.

Senna content is slated for May, so we may get it in August.

GT5 server maintenance is more important to Polyphony than fixes and content for GT6.

At least this got released today

untitled-10uku7.jpg

banderas.gif

offshore

Getting pretty bad over at GTP... calling for server boycotts next week :lol

Even in the darkest days after GT5 I don't remember calls for a boycott.

What on earth are PD doing. And how and why have Sony so badly mismanaged them.

ruttyboy

Getting pretty bad over at GTP... calling for server boycotts next week :lol

Even in the darkest days after GT5 I don't remember calls for a boycott.

What on earth are PD doing. And how and why have Sony so badly mismanaged them.

Really? Do you have a link? I need a laugh.

The lack of content or patches isn't even that bad, but the absolute silence that comes from PD is baffling. Status updates would really help to calm everyone's nerves down. It really comes over as a "we owe them nothing" attitude.

lawndart

Neo Member
Be positive, have faith.

After 3 month with nothing more than some marketing assets... Faith weens... Thats a quarter of a year with %50 of the features promoted before launch still not in the game...

They say time cures all... Time also erodes all...

Dead Man

After 3 month with nothing more than some marketing assets... Faith weens... Thats a quarter of a year with %50 of the features promoted before launch still not in the game...

They say time cures all... Time also erodes all...

If you read my earlier posts you will see the spirit with which that was posted ;)

WarpathDC

3 years between GT5 and GT6. PD delivered:
-----
Added:
- Improved UI
- Some new cars and a handful of tracks
- Slightly improved physics
- Qualifying mode and 'real' slipstream for online
- Wheel diameter change, NO2, Stars, Moon (WTF?)
-----
Deleted:
- Shuffle mode (absolutely infuriating)
- Track editor
- All community features
- Acceleration test mode
- GT5 photo locations
- B-Spec (then again, who cares)
- 3D Mode
- GTTV
Same dumb shit from GT5:
- Can make stage 3 engine mods while online, but can't change the oil.
- Can change car in online lobby, but can't change car in offline mode (eg free run) without quitting the track entirely and returning to garage.
- Static wheel width. But at least now with the diameter change you can make them look like wagon wheels.
New dumb shit in GT6:
- Microtransactions for in game currency.
- Game breaking pit stop bug (screws up physics and tyre wear)
3 months in and it's still there!
-----
The whole single player reeks from the stench of casualfication too. SRF everywhere, licence tests so easy an oven mitten wearing blind sloth can Gold, competition AI obliterated in every single race event. Single player is mind-numbingly boring.

Poor sales deserved.

This 1000%. This should have been a ps4 title built from the ground up since it wasn't a substantial improvement over gt5. I logged way too many hours into 5 and I can't even pick up 6 at this point.

Kukuk

Banned
I just got why the Lamborghini Diablo is called 'Diablo': because it's hell to drive. Understeer on the way into turns, spinning top on the way out. And god help you if you hit the grass or curb things.

I am starting to get the hang of it, though.

EDIT: And just after bitching about it I beat the event.

TTG

I just got why the Lamborghini Diablo is called 'Diablo': because it's hell to drive. Understeer on the way into turns, spinning top on the way out. And god help you if you hit the grass or curb things.

I am starting to get the hang of it, though.

Are we talking about the seasonal? It's easy to unsettle the car so smooth driving is a must, but I didn't notice understeer. I think for a 600+hp car on sports hard tires, it's fun without being frustrating.

Kukuk

Banned
Are we talking about the seasonal? It's easy to unsettle the car so smooth driving is a must, but I didn't notice understeer. I think for a 600+hp car on sports hard tires, it's fun without being frustrating.

Yeah, the seasonal. I dunno, I just had the hardest time getting it to turn, and even getting the car where I wanted it to go on the straightaway seemed like a hassle.

Not sure if it's because I play with SRF on, or what, but I never really have too much trouble with controlling other cars of it's caliber.

TTG

Yeah, the seasonal. I dunno, I just had the hardest time getting it to turn, and even getting the car where I wanted it to go on the straightaway seemed like a hassle.

Not sure if it's because I play with SRF on, or what, but I never really have too much trouble with controlling other cars of it's caliber.

It probably is the SRF, but in a runabout way. It's akin to setting a really aggressive auto aim in a skill based shooter, then a scenario comes along when the auto aim can't cope well enough and neither are you because you've been relying on it.

Turn it off, go back to the Rocket at Suzuka or G37 at Willow Springs seasonals and get acclimated. The lambo is on the high end of the scale as far as difficult to drive, but it's not as bad as a stock Deltawing or that R8(pre patches anyway).

So, we're now officially in March in every part of the world right? Any news?

the new track and 5 cars will be released during the geneva motor show.
bullshit! the game is dead until spec II and god knows how long that will take, the last official news was gt5 server maintenance - lol

Juicy Bob

Polyphony Digital are the games development equivalent of Formula 1 - massively popular for good reasons, but absolutely terrible at listening to the fans.

Prototype

anyone else feel like they paid $60 for new menus?

Series is stuck in the 90s and will never leave imo. Here's hoping that GT7 will be good but I am really disappointed in GT6. I'm not surprised the game hasn't been selling well. I returned the game. I hope that poor sales will send the message to PD and they will really make GT7 something special and bring the game and feature set up to date.

TTG

anyone else feel like they paid $60 for new menus?

Not at all. If you asked me to trade the game back in for 60 dollars I wouldn't do it. The roster of tracks is great. The library of cars, while still missing big chunks of some of the best modern cars, is appreciably better than GT5. I like the new suspension modelling as well, it requires a lot more finesse. Incremental improvements? Sure, but there's enough there.

I know everyone loves the doom and gloom, but if the game was properly supported, it would be right in line with the previous entries. By support I mean rebuilding the best part of the campaign from GT5, the special events. Rolling out with Goodwood(equivalent of a tutorial) and an eccentric moon rover thing(which I assume was to show off new physics model) was a mistake. Red Bull stuff is a step in the right direction and if/when the Senna DLC comes out, that will be as well. They just need to keep it going, using that section to introduce cars and tracks where they see fit.

It would be a shame if GT6 is abandoned until the PS4 version comes around. What's disconcerting is how hypersensitive Polyphony is to all this noise and if they deem that the sales numbers aren't there they could really pull the plug. We may be seeing traces of it already, they aren't even updating seasonal events on schedule.

Kukuk

Banned
Pshew, getting better at driving the Veyron. Came up only half a second short for gold on the license test. Still hate the car, but I'm managing to cope with it.

Aaaand, now it's getting to the point where the more I try it, the worse I do. Every time. Though, every time I come back to it I do a little better, so maybe next time I pick it up I'll beat it.

Prototype

Not at all. If you asked me to trade the game back in for 60 dollars I wouldn't do it. The roster of tracks is great. The library of cars, while still missing big chunks of some of the best modern cars, is appreciably better than GT5. I like the new suspension modelling as well, it requires a lot more finesse. Incremental improvements? Sure, but there's enough there.

I know everyone loves the doom and gloom, but if the game was properly supported, it would be right in line with the previous entries. By support I mean rebuilding the best part of the campaign from GT5, the special events. Rolling out with Goodwood(equivalent of a tutorial) and an eccentric moon rover thing(which I assume was to show off new physics model) was a mistake. Red Bull stuff is a step in the right direction and if/when the Senna DLC comes out, that will be as well. They just need to keep it going, using that section to introduce cars and tracks where they see fit.

It would be a shame if GT6 is abandoned until the PS4 version comes around. What's disconcerting is how hypersensitive Polyphony is to all this noise and if they deem that the sales numbers aren't there they could really pull the plug. We may be seeing traces of it already, they aren't even updating seasonal events on schedule.

I will admit the selection of tracks was amazing. I really liked both Matterhorn and Mount Panorama. I also liked that there were a number of different versions of the McLaren F1, considering I never got the BMW McLaren from the used car shop in GT5 and always wanted a chance to drive it. GT6 let me do that, and that was fun.

The Goodwood events were pretty fun too. Loved the "short and sweet" aspect of that course and those challenges.

I don't hate the series. In fact it's the opposite. I love the series. Maybe too much. I just feel like there is so much more it could be. Anyway, I don't want to post complaint after complaint. There were some good things about GT6, I did put in about 60 hours after all. At the end of the day it just didn't feel that different from GT5 to me and I'd been playing that for the last couple years.

GTP Jordan says update this week. McLaren making announcement this week - dat Sony McLaren-Mercedes MP4-29, that's why Ferrari and Red Bull F1 cars were no shows.

McLaren / Gran Turismo / Senna tie up banderas.gif

TTG

Golded the Veyron License test. Beat it almost a full second under. Feeling pretty fucking proud of myself.

That's at Ascari right? That track is a lot like Suzuka, small improvements through corners ripple out into big advantages time wise. It's one of the better tracks in the game, new or not. I had an aversion to it early because it was almost never used in A-spec and there aren't many geographical markers or distinct corners to easily orient yourself. But now that I know my way around, it's really cool.

Kukuk

Banned
That's at Ascari right? That track is a lot like Suzuka, small improvements through corners ripple out into big advantages time wise. It's one of the better tracks in the game, new or not. I had an aversion to it early because it was almost never used in A-spec and there aren't many geographical markers or distinct corners to easily orient yourself. But now that I know my way around, it's really cool.

I think the two big things that really helped me was getting the hairpin turns JUST right, and realizing that despite the car being extremely heavy, it couldn't break quicker if it hit a tree. On pretty much every turn, you could be flooring it right before, and still break in time to reach the turn going at a reasonable speed.

amar212

The "Acura" NSX seasonal event learned me Ascari to closed eyes drive point.

I didn't realise I can use any NSX and I thought I can only use Acura. Mistake that became blessing. First few sessions I managed to come close to silver with full stock car and once I grabbed silver I wanted to see can I catch gold without tuning anything.

Few days later and dozens of ghosts saved I broke the gold time and I was so damn proud. And I learned the track to perfection.

GT6 would be so much better if game would give such Track Challenges with dedicated car that can't be tuned for every track in the game as a separate Carrer mode (as were Time Trials in GT3 for example).

With 50+ tracks in the game and friend leaderboards already exisiting it could be the mode to bypass all shortcomings of actual leaderbors existence as well as provide a damn replay value for hardcore.

Top Bottom