• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 Review Thread

viveks86

"I think I mentioned this in the past, but we’re really working to change the fundamental way that the engine sound works,” Kazunori Yamauchi said during a press session at Polyphony Digital’s Tokyo office. “Right now I have a feeling that it might not make it for day one for GT6."

Ah i see. Good to know! So they are going to have an "accurate audio DLC"? Interesting!

It's reviewing pretty much like how every other GT game is reviewed. Which is great if you already love the series like millions around the world do.

Yikes at the footage in the ign review. I'm no next gen elitist but they sure make this game look ugly. I'm sure 60 makes a difference but ugh.

LiK

WOW @ that venturebeat review. I really wonder what circumstances led to him getting assigned that review, and that review being posted without more editing.

One of the worst reviews I ever read. Don't care about the score but it screams lazy and uninterested in the title itself. very disappointed cuz Venturebeat's reviews are usually fair.

boingball

Surprised withe the Polygon review.
Venturebeat is a joke, I hate racing simulations, let me review this garbage. (Though still a surprising good score, I doubt I would give any FPS more than a 5.0).
Ign is strange, Forza 5 8.8 and GT6 8.0? Don't understand what is better in Forza 5 than in GT6 (Forza 5 is a rushed launch game with only a fraction of the content of 4 while GT6 expands on GT5). Better graphics? Then no Wii game is above 7? (Since no Wii game has HD graphics of PS3 and 360...).

UNCMark

Banned
Yikes at the footage in the ign review. I'm no next gen elitist but they sure make this game look ugly. I'm sure 60 makes a difference but ugh.

I look forward to the slice of GT they must be making for PS4 as a tease of things to come. They have to do that, right?

You call that a review?!

Guy should be ashamed.

"Hey I'm not a shooter fan, and I keep dying in BF4, I can't be bothered to look up help to make me a better player of shooters, 65/100."

Aging franchise, and only the best selling racing game on the market.
Only really on the OP because its a "professional" review. The review by itself is embarrasing and shows that she was not suited to review the game.

Steroyd

Gaming press these days seems ridiculously all over the map...probably time enough to retire metacritic...I mean how can one review give a 9 and another a 5? Seems reviewers don't have much more clue than user reviews...

Opinions etc etc.

But yeah given that things like metacritic holds some sway over publisher's decisions, it can't be a healthy back and forth relationship, especially when alot of games this gen have been shoe-horning features in games just to be popular. *cough* RE5 *cough*

dugdug

Banned
I seriously cannot believe that VentureBeat review. Its so, utterly embarrassing, for both the writer and VB.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
That venturebeat article was hot garbage.

Seriously "news" outlets get someone who knows that the fuck they are reviewing to do the articles. Otherwise you come off looking like a bunch of dumbshits, both the writer and the site itself.

As harsh as that is, seriously there isnt anything "nicer" I can consider writing after having read through that bang up job of a review.

Prime example of what the fuck is wrong with gaming journalism these days.

*Edit

I mean look at the good tech sites, there is a strong reason for why the guys who write about things actually know what they are talking about. The readers are not idiots and will pick up on the bullshit fast. Gaming isnt any different, regardless of what those in charge / writers of the site may think.

kitch9

Banned
Why did Venturebeat give the game to a complete fucktard to review?

"I've no idea about cars, and I don't even like them, yet I am reviewing a car racing game that I have no idea what it is talking about..... "

65%

Uh?

benzy

Venturebeat is a joke, I hate racing simulations, let me review this garbage. (Though still a surprising good score, I doubt I would give any FPS more than a 5.0).
Ign is strange, Forza 5 8.8 and GT6 8.0? Don't understand what is better in Forza 5 than in GT6 (Forza 5 is a rushed launch game with only a fraction of the content of 4 while GT6 expands on GT5). Better graphics? Then no Wii game is above 7? (Since no Wii game has HD graphics of PS3 and 360...).

IGN's review makes it sound like they basically took 2 points off just because of lack of comprehensive damage modeling and bad engine sounds... lol

Haha, that VB review was kind of left field. Like getting a Britney fan to review a heavy metal album. Some decent review scores, but still sounds like Kaz needs a kick up the backside.

UNCMark

Banned
The Gamesbeat reviewer was given the task of reviewing the game to see if it would convert her to a sim racing game fan. OK...no. That's not how you review a game. That's an experiment for a secondary review that doesn't get measured by metacritic that comes out later. That should not be a site's primary review.

Zhao_Yun

That venturebeat review is a joke, especially the conclusion.
It's like criticizing a Fifa game for not telling you that you have to shoot the ball into the goal. ..

IGN's review makes it sound like they basically took 2 points off just because of lack of comprehensive damage modeling and bad engine sounds... lol
I'd prefer reviewers took more points off if it got Kaz off his ass to fix these issues that have been around for ten years

Steroyd

That venturebeat review is a joke, especially the conclusion.
It's like criticizing a Fifa game for not telling you that you have to shoot the ball into the goal. ..

I think it's more akin to wondering what that number next to the passing stat means and then wonder why the character can't pass.

Seanspeed

Banned
That would be their right to do so.

Also, with the VentureBeat(who?) review, if it was just an experimental review, then treat it as that. I don't know why you guys have to take it so seriously.

The Jason

Reviews are what I expected. I dont really mind that GT has not changed much. But they do need to improve the engine sounds soon.

Cant wait for my copy tomorrow

notBald

Most reviewers take the system the game is on into account, thus scores between systems aren't directly comparable. Forza 5 is the only racer of it's kind on the X1, GT6 has the measure up to GT5.

Marinlik

Neo Member

Forza has less content because they decided to remake the content from scratch. I have to say that it might be a better choice than do what Polyphony did and have ps2 cars in the game. Sometime you should really start over with your content and not have age old stuff in there. I hope that Polyphony does the same for the next GT game.

I think sound is very imporant in racing games, and sadly the GT series(A series I really like) has had bad sounds for a long time and it isn't fixed yet.

Haha, that VB review was kind of left field. Like getting a Britney fan to review a heavy metal album. Some decent review scores, but still sounds like Kaz needs a kick up the backside.

If Kaz cares about metacritic the only thing to do is casualize the games and go the Shift/Grid/Forza way with millions of arrows and indicators and numbers and bars to fill with clear objectives that can be FINISHED in 10-15 hours.

So please, Kaz, don't give a fuck about metacritic.

Dire

Venture Beat - 65/100
http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/06/gr...ismo-6-review/
Gran Turismo 6 is not a game for the uninitiated. It’s made for racing fans by racing fans. It’s for people who know that front/rear weight distribution isn’t a euphemism for holiday weight gain and that the Gap doesn’t refer to a mall clothing store. As a nonracing fan, there’s a lot about it I still don’t understand. What are performance points and why are they important? I have no idea what torque is. I have no idea what an exhaust manifold is or why it improves my car’s racing ability. Admittedly, some of this information is available in the game, but it’s densely packed into the user-interface and might prove intimidating to newcomers. I didn’t care enough to look for it. More importantly, Polyphonic did nothing to make me care. Outside of a few beginner driving lessons, it feels as if you’re supposed to know all of this stuff already, and that could alienate some of the new blood this aging franchise needs to stay relevant in the next console generation.

Really? That's just taking games media to painfully new lows.

Venture Beat reviews Schindler's List: Well this movie was just plain bad. Ok so first off you have to wait for like 30 minutes before the action really starts and then it's pretty bad, they barely even fight back. And there are no huge explosions either. Ok, well he blows one place up but whatever. The explosion was pretty dumb. I've seen better CG from my grams playing with 3D studio. Also the camera was messed up or something. There was no color except red in a few places and I'm not even talking blood. Crazy, right? I can't believe it got released. Buggy, boring, lame action. It's like nobody even watched it first. 3/10.

Top Bottom