• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 sold 5 million copies

ZeroX03

Banned
5 million is impressive, game had an awful release. I get why they wanted to stick to PS3, nobody quite knew that the PS4 would take the world by storm - and DriveClub was supposed to be a thing - but in hindsight it was the bad choice.

Audioboxer

5 million is impressive, game had an awful release. I get why they wanted to stick to PS3, nobody quite knew that the PS4 would take the world by storm - and DriveClub was supposed to be a thing - but in hindsight it was the bad choice.

DC was excellent.... after it was patched.

That is on the studio, but many are salty at the irony of GT being the master of broken launches that require 23 patches totalling 20GB.

Sure PD have bought more time/empathy/faith with Sony given their legacy, but it's probably more disappointing a studio of this prestige and legacy still puts out titles that require a colossal amount of patches to resemble something that should be on the disc day 1.

I think that poster's preferred scheme with face button acceleration/brake is the Classic Style in that image. Do you have an image of that?

It shows a classic style right there in the image. What is the control scheme there?

I looked through several GTS menu videos and for whatever reason they never go into the control menu. So i'm not sure what the classic setup looks like. But GT tends to give you the ability to fully customize your controls, so even if it's not one of the default schemes you should still be able to use it.

It's impressive how the physics work in GT, and all the attention to detail, but they should be able with the amount of money, resources and muscle Sony put into the studio (sacrificing other studios for PD) to obtain all of that AND care for multiple types of gamers. If their arrogance to not expanding the studio and/or outsourcing is getting in the way, that is on them, not us. They certainly have the resources to behave like many other well off studios and garner more support or help for putting out massive titles in this era.

I don't see how Sony sacrificing other studios for PD .
Those studios made games that did not sell for years .
Sony don't really put more money into GT compare to there other big IPs .
Maybe Kaz don't want a huge studio so things will not change until GT really bombs .

ZeroX03

Banned
DC was excellent.... after it was patched.

I was actually meaning DriveClub was supposed to launch with the PS4, so there wasn't a racing void. But then it didn't, and only NFS Rivals was around. Launching GT around the same time as DC would've been bad. Now we know DC wouldn't make it and GT6 in the empty opening six months would have killed.

I also think DriveClub is the worst racing game I've ever played, post-patch, but that's meaningless to sales.

Audioboxer

I don't see how Sony sacrificing other studios for PD .
Those studios made games that did not sell for years .
Sony don't really put more money into GT compare to there other big IPs .
Maybe Kaz don't want a huge studio so things will not change until GT really bombs .

I doubt Wipeout or Motorstorm cost a lot to make. Although sales were lukewarm I'd still have expected them to make money.

Shuhei is on record about saying Sony are okay as it is with some studios making games that don't light the world on fire (or even make small loses) to have a diverse portfolio as other stuff (God of War/Uncharted) makes up for it.

They've pretty much castrated their diversity in racing to only GT. That is more my point about sacrificing.

I was actually meaning DriveClub was supposed to launch with the PS4, so there wasn't a racing void. But then it didn't, and only NFS Rivals was around. Launching GT around the same time as DC would've been bad. Now we know DC wouldn't make it and GT6 in the empty opening six months would have killed.

I also think DriveClub is the worst racing game I've ever played, post-patch, but that's meaningless to sales.

Well I'd agree it's not a driving simulator, but arcadey, and more so it's annoying for some because Sony have gotten rid of the full on fantasy arcade racer (Wipeout), the heavily arcade (Motorstorm) and now the 50/50 (Driveclub). As I said above leaving us only with GT and at the mercy of Kaz if we are still a SP gamer first.

Shin-chan

I doubt Wipeout or Motorstorm cost a lot to make. Although sales were lukewarm I'd still have expected them to make money.

Shuhei is on record about saying Sony are okay as it is with some studios making games that don't light the world on fire (or even make small loses) to have a diverse portfolio as other stuff (God of War/Uncharted) makes up for it.

They've pretty much castrated their diversity in racing to only GT. That is more my point about sacrificing.

Well I'd agree it's not a driving simulator, but arcadey, and more so it's annoying for some because Sony have gotten rid of the full on fantasy arcade racer (Wipeout), the heavily arcade (Motorstorm) and now the 50/50 (Driveclub). As I said above leaving us only with GT and at the mercy of Kaz if we are still a SP gamer first.
To be fair, how many publishers have more than one tent pole franchise per genre? Not many, and especially not in the racing genre which is drying up (it tends to be very broad genres that can appeal to several different markets at once - eg cod and destiny, fallout and elder scrolls)

They aren't being sacrificed for GT. The reality is that the racing genre is in a major rut right now. The only ones really selling are those from popular established brands. We saw the beginnings of that last generation with the closures of Black Rock and Bizarre, two very high quality racing game studios. We also see that in just how few racing games are being made now. It's just a really rough point in the genre at the moment.

Audioboxer

To be fair, how many publishers have more than one tent pole franchise per genre? Not many, and especially not in the racing genre which is drying up (it tends to be very broad genres that can appeal to several different markets at once - eg cod and destiny, fallout and elder scrolls)

They aren't being sacrificed for GT. The reality is that the racing genre is in a major rut right now. The only ones really selling are those from popular established brands. We saw the beginnings of that last generation with the closures of Black Rock and Bizarre, two very high quality racing game studios. We also see that in just how few racing games are being made now. It's just a really rough point in the genre at the moment.

The sad thing is I cannot argue against these points, just remain salty.

Blueingreen

Driveclub was supposed to be a launch title if I'm wrong, I just don't think Sony..

A) Expected Driveclub to be delayed...twice
B) Expected PS3 sales to tank immediately after the PS4 launch
C) Expected PS4 to sell as well as it did during launch.

Those are the only reasons why I can think of for GT6's abysmal release.

NahaNago

It didn't help that 6 also came out shortly after the PS4 launch. Personally, they should have gone straight to working on PS4 GT after they were finished with 5.

they should have just put the game on both platforms, shown the graphical differences between the ps3 and ps4 in order to make money off both.

Is this guy a plant, or something?

Let's not forget that Forza 3 physics scandal either.

EDIT: Sorry...also good sales for a game sent to die. 5 million is good for any franchise bar Grand Theft Auto, especially under the circumstance.

Not a plant at all. I used to love GT, technically still do in a way as I still play GT4 on an emulator, but the last two games have been terrible. GT5 wasn't as bad at the time because I was looking forward to it and just needed a GT fix, but that's about it.

Lol you sound like a GTP member, can barely finish a sentence that does not include a lie.

Nice accusations there but there isn't a single lie in my post.

You're honest about your ignorance at the very least.

Please do tell where this supposed ignorance is.

Then physics? Because Polyphony invited one of the people form Inside Sim Racing back to their studio at E3 and he said the version they had setup there had physics comparable to Assetto Corso.

John said that the physics "reminded" him of Assetto Corsa and I think what he really meant was what he could feel of the physics from the way the force feedback was translated.

The way the rear stepped out, sending the car spinning 20-30° and still let the pro players catch the car without losing even 2 tenth of a second let the physics look pretty bad in the public E3 build (and all previous builds), so hearing John say that about the back then newest build really is a very good thing. AC probably has the most natural feeling physics once you stepped over the limit and lost control for a few milliseconds.
For me, having the suspension and tires feel natural through FFB under all conditions is indeed the most important physics aspect, but for the game PD is making, the damage and ramming physics will be extremely important too, so in MP other players won't use the side of your car as their brakes to gain an unfair advantage - especially if what PD said stays true and it will always be both players involved in an accident that will be punished by the "officials" (which I still can't believe, Kaz must have misunderstood that question).

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that John from Inside Sim Racing was only talking about what he could feel of the physics in that demo. That's not saying anything about drag vs. downforce, body rigidity and inertia, tire heat and pressure build-up /-deformation, tire wear, modeling of gearbox + driveline parts and electronic aid systems... and another million things affecting car physics in a racing scenario where PD needs to play catch-up if they want to be taken seriously with their - I have do admit, pretty cool - FIA partnership acquisition.

Nice accusations there but there isn't a single lie in my post.

Saying they've made no effort to improve the physics as they've gone on because they only care about visuals isn't an opinion, it's a flatout lie. You may not like their physics engine, but they're continually praised and improve quite a bit game after game.

driver116

This is the new control scheme

uoa4gdjnvkc2.jpg

No free chase cam confirmed.

Saying they've made no effort to improve the physics as they've gone on because they only care about visuals isn't an opinion, it's a flatout lie. You may not like their physics engine, but they're continually praised and improve quite a bit game after game.

That IS an opinion. I feel absolutely no difference between GT5 and 6 despite all the hype (that even I bought into) about their amazing new tyre and suspension model. When I'm playing the game I still can't even feel suspension bounce on a floppier car, I can't feel any torque steer in an FWD car (although I'm unsure as to whether any game does that), oversteer corrections still become way too grippy and spin you out the opposite way, and the way cars react in collisions is just laughable. As far as I'm aware, the tyres still don't even deform but I could be wrong on that. The game just doesn't feel responsive at all.

This is the new control scheme

uoa4gdjnvkc2.jpg
Ok, my 2 cents:
- upshift on the lower button and downshift on the higher button is counter-intuitive. I know that's how it is with a sequential shifter, but there it directly feels natural to "pull" a lever to go "faster"/gear-up, that's not the case on a controller.
- No clutch button isn't great if they include offroad/rallying, you need to rev up the engine with the clutch engaged to overpower the rear and unsettle the car to do a hairpin turn, especially in old rally cars that don't have /can't have /shouldn't have a handbrake.

- most of all though: this will be online focused and there is no "glance left/right" on the standard controls, but every player will have an important safety rating?!??

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be honest here and say that I bought Gran Turismo 6 on day 1 and never played it. I have completely forgotten I own the game. I know for some, this is not unusual. However, this is Gran Turismo we are talking about here.

Might boot it up this weekend to see how it measures against 5.

Also, I agree with some people. This should've been on PS4 as well with some minor graphical improvements. It would've sold more copies.

c0de

I'll be honest here and say that I bought Gran Turismo 6 on day 1 and never played it. I have completely forgotten I own the game. I know for some, this is not unusual. However, this is Gran Turismo we are talking about here.

Might boot it up this weekend to see how it measures against 5.

Disconnect from internet before or be prepared for update bonanza.

pager99

i think sony made a huge mistake not making gt6 cross gen considering the lacklustre ps4 launch ,they were banking on driveclub for launch and that never materialized it made them look foolish in regards gt6

Leyasu

Banned
They released on ps3 because of the install base, yet sold half of its predecessor. They must have been disappointed with the results.

Based on the next-to-nothing I heard about this game, and the fact that it shipped SUPER late in the game, and wasn't cross-gen... 5 million actually sounds really impressive, ha.

If they actually market this new one, it should certainly give the franchise enough to push past 80m, and this installment likely will pass GT6.

5 million huh? Wow... Crazy.

But why the need to seemingly completely nuke any sort of SP campaign or focus? I'm sorry but even in these modern times SP still falls under the "quality" category for me, not "quantity".

Kaz obviously wants to push esports, fine, but considering he's proposing that at the loss of content for many legacy GT fans he is taking one heck of a risk. " Wait for GT7" doesn't cut it when in many of our eyes this should be GT7, with esports added on if that is Kaz's new vision hard on. Would be good if he finished his old visions fully before embarking on new ones.
i don't think you will be waiting for GT7 man, Kaz basically said they will keep updating GTS, so expect more cars/tracks/features for the rest of the gen. And I also expect more events that likely cater to a more casual audience. Just wait untill the game comes out though. The career mode is still there, the game teaches you how to drive, you earn liscenses, do trials and challenges, it's just the earning medals part seems to take place against racing against actual people. You may like it who knows. I just don't think everyone should be writing off the SP experience as nonexistent when they haven't tried it yet.

It really should have, if memory serves 2014 was a black hole for releases on PS4 for the most part. If Sony had an ounce of common sense Puppeteer would have been a Q1 release followed by GT6 as a Q3 release in 2014, But what does it matter now ? it's just another example of Sony poorly managing their IP's without the Naughty Dog logo on the box.
Puppeteer just wasn't that good though? I don't think it would have sold a ton more copies even at launch. But yeah, missed opportunity in general as it would have certainly sold more than what it did. I just don't think it was a great game that was just overlooked.

Demon's Souls was overlooked. And then everyone kept talking about it. And then it rode the wave of good word of mouth and wasn't overlooked anymore. Great games find a way to shine. Puppeteer is just ok

Sakujou

Banned
i think there was a time when play-asia was giving away this game for free if you'd order something worth 20USD.

im impressed that this game sold even 5 million.

they stealth released this game during a time, it could not have been worse:
-transition to next-gen
-tons of other games
-no marketing
-no one actually even had this game on their radars
-some of the promised features werent included aka gran turismo 5 beta part 2

right now forza 6+drive club is all what i need. iam not sure if GT can deliver anymore. gt5 was a mixed bag for me. worst menu in the last gen, tons of worthless patches and updates. i bought the XL version which felt like the real final release of GT5.

hope PP will get their shit together for the next game.

They made the game way too late, and it came out at a spot when GT5 still had a lot of patch content to still play, and the PS4 was also just coming out.

I thought maybe there would be an enhanced PS4 port, but it never came.

It's pretty interesting that 5 million copies of a late-gen game, with 0 marketing, is a disappointment, when it's GT.
I'm sure GT Sport will push more than 5 million.

nasanu

Banned
That is on the studio, but many are salty at the irony of GT being the master of broken launches that require 23 patches totalling 20GB.

And this is what devs get when they support a title after launch. If PD have learned their lesson they will release GTS with a stack of paid day 1 DLC and walk away.

5 million isn't amazing for GT, but it's really good for a racing game that came 1,2 weeks after beginning the new generation.
But unfortunately I think GT will lose its popularity in the next years and I don't expect amazing numbers for GTS.

5 million isn't amazing for GT, but it's really good for a racing game that came 1,2 weeks after beginning the new generation.
But unfortunately I think GT will lose its popularity in the next years and I don't expect amazing numbers for GTS.
I expect pretty good numbers. Sony's franchises have been growing and performing well (Infamous, R&C, UC, etc...).

Audioboxer

And this is what devs get when they support a title after launch. If PD have learned their lesson they will release GTS with a stack of paid day 1 DLC and walk away.

?

Yeah, it's not everything or nothing, but you can't deny for GT5 at least (which I owned) a lot of the patching at the start was to fix shit, not support the game. A lot of stuff that really shouldn't be shipping as broke as it did.

And newsflash, PD already introduced MTs to GT5/GT6.

DC was praised for it's meaty season pass content (and additional free), not the fact it needed GBs of patching to fucking work. There is a difference between after launch support and finishing the game after launch because it was released unfinished.

Curufinwe

Now imagine how many copies they would've sold if they released it on the right console.

There's zero guarantee trying to get a PS4 version out for launch or soon after would have been more profitable than selling 5 million+ copies of GT6 on the PS3 while they work on the first PS4 version.

Blueingreen

Puppeteer just wasn't that good though? I don't think it would have sold a ton more copies even at launch. But yeah, missed opportunity in general as it would have certainly sold more than what it did. I just don't think it was a great game that was just overlooked.

But Knack and Killzone Shadowfall are undisputed masterpieces of modern gaming ? especially Shadowfall man what a stinker, and those two games sold extremely well despite reviewing quite poor, Puppeteer would have performed exceptionally better.

Demon's Souls was overlooked. And then everyone kept talking about it. And then it rode the wave of good word of mouth and wasn't overlooked anymore. Great games find a way to shine. Puppeteer is just ok

Demon's Souls was purposely sent to die, Sony only green lit the project because they needed a WRPG to rival TES: Oblivion which at the time was a console exclusive on the 360, by the time the project began to take form not only was Sony deeply unimpressed with what they saw but Oblivion was already on the PS3, also western gaming tastes were leaning towards brownish grey yolo swag, oohrah shooters.
Miraculously the game reviewed astoundingly well and sold far beyond their expectations, Sony practically treated the game the same way Nintendo treated Devils Third.

Top Bottom