• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7’s microtransactions are live, and GT Sports’ $5 cars now cost $40

• 100,000 credits – $2.49 / £1.99
  • 250,000 credits – $4.99 / £3.99
  • 750,000 credits – $9.99 / £7.99
  • 2,000,000 credits – $19.99 / £15.99
  • Aston Martin Vulcan ’16 ($4.99 in GT Sport) – 3,300,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)
  • McLaren P1 GTR ’16 ($4.99 in GT Sport) – 3,600,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)
  • Audi R18 TDI ’11 ($2.99 in GT Sport) – 3,000,000 credits in GT 7 ($40)
d8Sff2r.gif

Last edited:

jzosa

Serious question: Would people be okay if there was no option to purchase these cars with real money? I mean, it’s not like it’s stuck behind a paywall and can’t be accessed in any way other than purchase using real-world money.

It’s an option available to those who don’t want to grind.

I guess we need something to complain about?

Filben

Easy answer: greedy publishers who only see profit and try to mask their methods ("bUt yOu CaN eArN EvErYtHiNg iNgAmE") and many people believe and defend this and repeat that sentence.

Practically though it depends on how long it takes you to acquire that amount of in-game credits. If it's reasonable (which is very hard to quantify for everyone, but less time is obviously better for people working and having a social life). But when GaaS is a thing now and devs and publishers want you to play THIS SPECIFIC game only, and often require a ridiculous amount of time to grind, it becomes clear that they deliberately design in-game progression so you're inclined to spend money. Everyone should see this attempt of manipulation which shouldn't be in any game (the only kind of games I'd discuss this is on F2P games).

With all this talk these days about accessibility in games now and what not I'm surprised no one (or major outlet) seem to care about people who are easily manipulated in spending their money; then it's just on them, like "lol dude dont spend ur moneyz if u dont like".

kingfey

Banned
They increase the car price via MTX... how that can be bad?
The main way to get cars is via ingame earned credits.
That is the main focus with the increase via MTX.

There is no exclusive car via MTX.
Increasing it prices just support users to play and earn credits than rely on MTX.
That is 101 mtx scheme.
Do you think making content exclusive to mtx will sell alot?

By making things hard to get, and not paying money will make people spend alot of money on credits, which they can make alot of money.

This is EA textbook of mtx.

Moonjt9

Serious question: Would people be okay if there was no option to purchase these cars with real money? I mean, it’s not like it’s stuck behind a paywall and can’t be accessed in any way other than purchase using real-world money.

Yeah I’d be ok with having no way to purchase something with real money. The game would be balanced around that design.

I’m excited for GT7 but I’m not a fan of this micro transaction crap. I never buy them anyway but still, terrible.

Gamerguy84

I never buy MTX and natural progression is the way to go. Not to mention its what makes you better at the game.

I wish they weren't there at all but sadly some will buy everything they can for the competitive advantage.

scydrex

That is 101 mtx scheme.
Do you think making content exclusive to mtx will sell alot?

By making things hard to get, and not paying money will make people spend alot of money on credits, which they can make alot of money.

This is EA textbook of mtx.

The only way to know this is for people to play the game. If the grinding is worse than the other GT then yeah it sucks. Someday will get GT7 and play it. Not now with Elden Ring and after that Horizon 2.

ckaneo

I mean they could put in cheat codes for cars. I dont why the option for people who dont want to grind always devolves into microtransactions

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I havent read the thread in detail yet.

I'm more interested as to which gaffers are defending $40 cars as if they work at Sony and came up with the idea.
That was fast. Here's defender #1. Only took to Post #19 literally 10 minutes after the thread was created.

Well we know they will put MTX in the game... GTS had it.
But I'm really happy is that they increase the price.

So they are telling you to rely more on your earned ingame credits than buying credits with money.
GTS was too cheap that made people took the easy way.

Last edited:

Banned
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ns-are-live-and-gt-sports-5-cars-now-cost-40/

Just saw this on reddit. That's crazy! From $5 in the last game to $40? What's the explanation here? The article provides none.

anyone still arguing that the online only requirement has anything to do with "cheaters" and isn't 100% due to them being scared that someone might use exploits to farm credits are out of their minds.

it's very clear the microtransactions are the reason for the online only restrictions

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
When I go on vacation and walk past boutique clothing stores that sell T Shirts for $200 dollars I don't generally flip my shit.

We really have to see if they made earning in game currency significantly harder.

Chukhopops

In an ideal world MTX would be enabled/disabled at a system level and be linked to parental controls so you could lock out kids, vulnerable people or even yourself if you have self-control or impulse buying issues.

But it will never happen because everyone just makes too much money out of it.

kingfey

Banned
The only way to know this is for people to play the game. If the grinding is worse than the other GT then yeah it sucks. Someday will get GT7 and play it. Not now with Elden Ring and after that Horizon 2.
If the grind is little too much, it will seriously harm the game, as that would encourage MTX spending.

Mentat02

Banned

Calverz

Ohhhh they changed how MTX economy works.

GTS - You can buy cars for a price.
GT7 - You can buy credits for a price.

A car that costed less via direct price (and got even get flash sales) in GTS is now brought at ingame credit in GT7... buy credits is more expensive than buy the car directly.

That is indeed a good move for the overall economy... so players will rely more in ingame earn than MTX.
Geez this guy

kingfey

Banned
7ea81-16461378627155-1920.jpg

Top up your credits!
How much was that?

Nothing in gran turismo is behind the paywall. Everything is free. If there wasn't microtransaction everyone will be force to pay for season passes and dlc.
Go try iracing or assetto corsa.

Then come back with you fake outrage
You dont need to have your contents behind paywall, as that will decrease your revenue from mtx as a company.

Making it open to buy, makes it dangerous. As that would encourage unlimited money spending, since all you spend money is on credits.

Look at EA fifa business model.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You will defend anything Sony to the death. It’s got to the point where I can’t take anything you say seriously (although to be fair I was pretty much always there).

Scandalous prices, preying on both the weak-willed and the innocent. It’s not sensible or rich people that support MTX as shocking as that.
Thats the warrior attitude though.

Its easy to bash a competing product when there's bad news or shady money grubbing mtx.

But when it's their own platform, the excuse is something like..."well, it's a business decision. Cant fault the company from trying to make money"

From IGN review:
Either way, GT7's microtransactions have me feeling a bit cynical overall, especially considering how hard GT7 leans into making some of its coolest cars artificially scarce. Some rare cars will only pop up occasionally to buy before they're "sold out", and others require peculiar, time-limited, in-game invitations to actually purchase. It's easy to see how the fear of missing out may coax some players who are light on credits to shell out real cash to grab certain cars before they disappear again.
FOMO mtx in full effect.

sainraja

Hang on.
Did I miss something?

Are you required to pay that amount for those cars or can you not unlock them using the regular in game currency?!

I remember in GT2 there were cars you had to grind hours and hours for to have the credits to buy them.

But because they’ve now added in a shortcut that is 100% optional , non forced , people are losing their minds.

It’s not like you have GT Credits then Car credits that require insane amounts of grind for. These are the one and same credits from the game that you earn race on race like you have for decades of GT games but now if you are dumb enough you can buy them direct from the store.

Beggars belief.
If you are right about earning cars in GT always being a grind (with GT7 being no different), then it shouldn't surprise anyone here why a certain group here are making a fuss and what their motivations for doing so is (they've likely been annoyed with similar things with their fav company and now its payback time).

If some of those cars are only earn-able by paying $40 then it's not a good look. It's definitely not a "micro-transaction" at that point lol.
Also, kinda scary what they could do later in the future (could you have cars in the future that are not available in-game?)

Last edited:
The question is:

If it was $5 would you have made the purchase? If not, then why complain when it's $40?

But say, if they're deliberately making it harder to earn credits in-game and basically pushing you towards MTX to get that car, that sucks.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Sounds lame, fun to see people on here someone how as apologist for overpriced add ons when we know none of these should be more than a $1 or 2, or $30-40 in a large pack for all of the add on cars.
This is not a free to play game or a cheap game to begin with.

Roufianos

Honestly, Sony have gone from being the people's champion to bordering on full blown scummy. Fuck Uncle Jim.

Never mind the fact that this game is £20 more than Elden Ring.

kingfey

Banned
If you are right about earning cars in GT always being a grind (with GT7 being no different), then it shouldn't surprise anyone here why a certain group here are making a fuss (they've likely been annoyed with similar things with their fav company and now its payback time) and what their motivations for doing so is.

If some of those cars are only earn-able by paying $40 then it's not a good look. It's definitely not a "micro-transaction" at that point lol.
Also, kinda scary what they could do later in the future (could you have cars in the future that are not available in-game?)
It is. If you can buy credits with money, it's a mtx.
At this age, people are familiar with this behavior. People who have money will spend it on the game to skip the grind.

EA fifa is grindable. I don't need to spend money on the game, yet people call it a mtx game. Samething applies to this game.

sainraja

It is. If you can buy credits with money, it's a mtx.
At this age, people are familiar with this behavior. People who have money will spend it on the game to skip the grind.

EA fifa is grindable. I don't need to spend money on the game, yet people call it a mtx game. Samething applies to this game.
I am just wondering if the grind in GT7 is the same as before or worse than before. How was the grind in GT2/3? If GT7 is the same, then I don't see a big deal if people that want to take short-cuts have to pay more. Doesn't change what it is.

If the grind is worse than previous games, well, then the motivation behind that is clear....it is designed to get people to pay or at-least nudge them in that direction. I guess we'll find out how well balanced it is. I personally don't care for GT though so there is that.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I am just wondering if the grind in GT7 is the same as before or worse than before. How was the grind in GT2/3? If GT7 is the same, then I don't see a big deal if people that want to take short-cuts have to pay more. Doesn't change what it is.

If the grind is worse than previous games, well, then the motivation behind that is clear....it is designed to get people to pay or at-least nudge them in that direction. I guess we'll find out how well balanced it is. I personally don't care for GT though so there is that.
That is the only thing that makes this outrage small.
If the grind is too much, this forum will explode.

Admittedly I read only the first and last page but I don't think I saw anyone assuming it could just be a mistake. These car prices are roughly 10x what they were on gt sport. A simple added zero would cause this problem. Not apologizing for Sony but the game just released it could've been a mistake. Give it a day.

AllyITA

Nothing in gran turismo is behind the paywall. Everything is free. If there wasn't microtransaction everyone will be force to pay for season passes and dlc.
Go try iracing or assetto corsa.

Then come back with you fake outrage
assetto corsa has expansion packs and most of the time you can get the game and every DLC for less than 50€/$ (buying everything at launch it could probably have cost you around 150, maybe 200€/$)
iracing is expensive (subscription + you pay for tracks and cars) but you don't pay 40$ for a car (you pay 10$). but it is a system that almost encourages people to specialize on certain categories, so you are not constantly buying new cars (tracks yeah, if you want to race everything you have to buy a good number of them). But again it is seen as a simracers hobby, not as a videogame. (it seems stupid, but there is a difference).

EDIT: just to add the difference between gaming and "simracing hobby"; simracers could easili spend 2000$ dollars just on a simrig (without considering PC and monitor(s)), so spending the 10 dollars here and there for subscription or a new car/track doesn't even register.
VERY DIFFERENT from the guy who just got the new GT game for their playstation.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
assetto corsa has expansion packs and most of the time you can get the game and every DLC for less than 50€/$ (buying everything at launch it could probably have cost you around 150, maybe 200€/$)
iracing is expensive (subscription + you pay for tracks and cars) but you don't pay 40$ for a car (you pay 10$). but it is a system that almost encourages people to specialize on certain categories, so you are not constantly buying new cars (tracks yeah, if you want to race everything you have to buy a good number of them). But again it is seen as a simracers hobby, not as a videogame. (it seems stupid, but there is a difference).
Gran turismo everything is free.
I paid £20 for gts. And by the end I had over 300 cars all the tracks and 19000 000 in credits. And you can turn off microtransactions in the game.
I bought assetto corsa for on a deal on psn and completely forget everything is behind the paywall and I won't even dare to get iracing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom