• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 coming before 2017, with improved crash physics says Yamauchi

herod

I refuse to believe that GT6 was full speed ahead development and that GT7 didn't start before it shipped.

dresi

Not much announced yet. But possibly:
Media Molecules new Project.
Guerilla Games new game(rumored to be open world dino game named Horizon)
Sony BENDs new game.(rumored to be open world horror game)
Guerilla Camebridges new game(probably Killzone)
God Of War 4
Gravity Rush 2
Quite some VR games
And of course The Last Guardian.

And if you want to count games like WiLD there will be a bunch of those, too.

A new game from Quantic Dream is also a possibility. It's going to be crazy year but I still think that GoW 4 will be spring 2017 title.

Probably a trailer at e3 then?

I think so as they dont have anything big for holidays so announcement can help them like there are big games coming next year so people can buy PS4 during holidays in preparation using good deals and play other games meanwhile. We can expect big reveal with gameplay at PSX, so just a teaser trailer at E3 to make everyone get excited.

You are over stating forzas. It's minds hare has not grown at all. I GT game will outsell 3 forzas. When gt launches it will be a big deal. Forzas is also not on Playstation so it's effect is minimal. They also release them too frequently dulling excitement for a new one.
Weren't people saying this about GT6? And what happened there?

If anything I think you are overstating GT these days. There was a time it USED to be THE premier simulator, but that's only because it took so long for a viable competitor to come forth. Now it has the Forza series. GT doesn't exist in a bubble anymore, as there are lots of quality sim franchises competing for attention and sales now, such as Project CARS, while Forza is its strongest competitor.

And I don't think it being on a different console means much, because that's not what "mindshare" is about. It's just like with Mario and Sonic back in the day; even though Sonic was on Genesis that didn't stop him from (briefly) overpowering Mario in mindshare during a good chunk of the 16-bit era. It's the same thing here; separate consoles doesn't mean a thing; the media isn't going to care to say "okay, well on PS systems GT is the best/most prominent", no they're just gonna compare them wholesale in a platform-agnostic way.

...which could push both the narrative and some sales in another way, especially in America....

lol another one of these 'they should be doing this or else' concerns.

proving something to a racer that is just getting night/weather after 10 years of being in the genre. come on.
Look, this is how mindshare works: the more time you are consistently and constantly in the news, the more people will hear about you. The more people hear about you, the more they think about you. The more they think about you, the more share they have on your mind. That's mindshare.

Now, between GT and Forza, which series has gotten more news pieces since the start of this gen? Which one's actually had a current-gen installment so far (let alone 2, going on 3)? Never underestimate the power of mindshare.

Stacey

Banned
Wut

Forza is doing pretty fucking anazing regardless of what GT is doing lol

Not sure what you're getting at

Microsoft need to bring out the big guns, they bring out the big guns only to be overshadowed by a bigger franchise in the same genre, thats all i was getting at.

shandy706

Microsoft/Turn 10 just can't catch a break, if Sony announce GT7 with a trailer @ E3...........wow!

What does a trailer at E3 change for anyone else?

Other than letting us know what the game may look/be like possibly next year.

I'd take it as nothing but a preview/tech demo.

Microsoft need to bring out the big guns, they bring out the big guns only to be overshadowed by a bigger franchise in the same genre, thats all i was getting at.

Ah, I guess it could be viewed that way. I've not considered GT the better franchise (bigger sales wise definitely) in years.

I'm sure GT is going to be breathtaking on the PS4 though. They do push the hardware they're working with each time.

benzy

Nope.
Sony's Europe conference will be in Paris (Fall 2015).

It still easily outsold it?

And you know why it sold less than the previous GT's.
PS4 was coming, PS3 was dying, therefore less hype, etc.

PS4 had actually already came, a week before GT6's release... lol

Weren't people saying this about GT6? And what happened there?

If anything I think you are overstating GT these days. There was a time it USED to be THE premier simulator, but that's only because it took so long for a viable competitor to come forth. Now it has the Forza series. GT doesn't exist in a bubble anymore, as there are lots of quality sim franchises competing for attention and sales now, such as Project CARS, while Forza is its strongest competitor.

And I don't think it being on a different console means much, because that's not what "mindshare" is about. It's just like with Mario and Sonic back in the day; even though Sonic was on Genesis that didn't stop him from (briefly) overpowering Mario in mindshare during a good chunk of the 16-bit era. It's the same thing here; separate consoles doesn't mean a thing; the media isn't going to care to say "okay, well on PS systems GT is the best/most prominent", no they're just gonna compare them wholesale in a platform-agnostic way.

...which could push both the narrative and some sales in another way, especially in America....

GT6 has no bearing on Gt7. ..GT6 came at a bad time. Gt7 on ps4 will be huge. Bookmark this post if you want. Gt will outsell Forza 5 6 and project cars combine

Also every second gt sells lower on the same console.

ShamePain

Banned
You have proof it was 8 years? Why it ended up the way it did is really irrelevant.

GT6 is essentially a slightly reworked GT5, a bit more cars and tracks, same old issues. It was released undercooked and even to this very day lacks some features that were advertised with the game. Cough cough course maker...

Yiazmat

improved crash physics
never forget

pfwgzf.gif

otapnam

i dont know, sometimes im pretty jealous that Forza has alot of updates and even paid out for the porsche license. Im a playstation guy though and dont have time for 2 consoles, but some of the content Forza gets is pretty damn attractive already

GT6 is essentially a slightly reworked GT5, a bit more cars and tracks, same old issues. It was released undercooked and even to this very day lacks some features that were advertised with the game. Cough cough course maker...
You never answered the question.

Forza 5 was just a reworked Forza 4 port....see two can make baseless claims. They totally redid the physics engine for 6.

Stacey

Banned
i dont know, sometimes im pretty jealous that Forza has alot of updates and even paid out for the porsche license. Im a playstation guy though and dont have time for 2 consoles, but some of the content Forza gets is pretty damn attractive already

No doubt, Forza is one hell of an experience however the GT brand is absolutely huge in comparison.

DavidDesu

I don't think anyone should be expecting it this year. I'd happily say about midway through 2016 is realistic.

The thing is Polyphony are great technically but the PS3 was clearly a pain in the ass for them. I think with PS4 they're going to hit their stride again, at least technically. I predict it will comfortably blow people away and make Project Cars AND Forza's next game look pretty poor in comparison. They already have the monopoly on sometimes the most photo realistic graphics, and that was done on PS3. They seem to have a great eye for lighting realistically that's above most others. I think they'll make the PS4 sing. I only hope their weather can somehow come close to Driveclub's (but with the task of hitting 60fps of course it might not reach that level).

Fundamentally the game structure needs a revolution, and I'd love for them to let you unlock all cars from scratch, I'm just not interested in playing their crappy career mode and grinding endlessly just so the game will let me play in one of the nicer cars I want access to.

FIFA doesn't prevent you playing in the better teams for instance, so why does GT keep doing it, game after game after game?!

GT6 has no bearing on Gt7. ..GT6 came at a bad time. Gt7 on ps4 will be huge. Bookmark this post if you want. Gt will outsell Forza 5 6 and project cars combine

Also every second gt sells lower on the same console.

Consider yourself bookmarked, but you're still misunderstanding what facet of "mindshare" I've been talking about.

ShamePain

Banned
No doubt, Forza is one hell of an experience however the GT brand is absolutely huge in comparison.

It used to be, and it's still pretty big, but I think a lot of casual gamers got burned by GT5, it was hyped to hell and back and launched with so many problems. It will take a lot of effort on PD's part to convince them to come back, they used to be the only dog in the house during ps2's reign, but today you have so many choices on the market, they'll have to whip out something really special to win fans back. If you've been to GTPlanet you'd know that a lot of goodwill was lost with GT5/6, hopefully the ease and power of PS4 will allow them to make the leap forward they need. Drop the old sounds, drop all ps2 BS, make a truly nextgen GT.

Out of the extensive list of issues causing GT stagnation and plaguing the series for over a decade, "improved crash physics" doesn't even make the top 10. Play arcade racers if you want cool crashes. There are so many more important things they need to focus on to make GT7 a step in the right direction.

I will eat a KFC bucket of crow if GT7 proper (not some prologue shit) releases before 2017. I don't believe a single word from PD these days. They are perpetual liars and under-delivers.

GHG

Led_Zeppelin said:
Damn that is too long. They should have just not done GT6 at all. This is going to be another GT5 with delays and the like.

I think it should have just been a PS4 game really... Or even cross gen.

benzy

It used to be, and it's still pretty big, but I think a lot of casual gamers got burned by GT5, it was hyped to hell and back and launched with so many problems. It will take a lot of effort on PD's part to convince them to come back, they used to be the only dog in the house during ps2's reign, but today you have so many choices on the market, they'll have to whip out something really special to win fans back. If you've been to GTPlanet you'd know that a lot of goodwill was lost with GT5/6, hopefully the ease and power of PS4 will allow them to make the leap forward they need. Drop the old sounds, drop all ps2 BS, make a truly nextgen GT.

Time to get hyped Shamepain.

Kaz said:
I still can't go into details, but it was hard to develop on PS3: you don't have enough memory to do whatever you want. Our goal has always been to preserve the feeling of Gran Turismo, but with the last chapter we faced limitations. With the PlayStation 4 we have much more memory: we can exploit it easily, inserting elements that we had to force or hold on PS3. There will be more graphics, more physical, more AI, more online.

Kaz said:
Everything will be running naturally. PS3 was much, much more difficult. The high quality of data that we have being rendered on the PS4 I think is going to make an incredible difference.

I don't mind the standard cars but I really do hope they significantly upgrade the ps2 tracks though.

I expect it to look amazing. Folks here who never play it, probably never play racing games very deeply, will post endless photoreal gifs and use the word "dat..." to describe stuff.

But I'm also expecting the core game won't be very good to play, it will lack features that have become common and expected in western developed racing games. It will overpromise and underdeliver. But those that don't play it will still use the endless pretty gifs for consolewarz bs.

You may call me a misery, but today I got my PS3 out of the cupboard and am doing the horrendous update process for GT6. It's enough to want make one want PD burnt to the ground. Hours later, it's still installing various patches.

Then explain? You mean among hard core forum goers? That hardly reflects reality.

I mean in terms of the press and the narrative they can pursue, which can affect purchasing decisions. Again, look back at the Mario vs. Sonic stuff of the 16-bit era. GT is Mario, Forza is Sonic, PS4 is SNES and XBO is Genesis (all relatively speaking). The Sonic effect back then was real; the first game gave NA media ammunition to push a valid Sonic vs. Mario narrative and for a while Sonic was more popular than Mario, as the quality of the games plus the media pushing a certain narrative helped them sell gangbusters (which also helped the Genesis lead the NA market for most of the gen).

I'm not saying either GT or Forza have the same kind of pull, but the situations are at least somewhat comparable.

Look, this is how mindshare works: the more time you are consistently and constantly in the news, the more people will hear about you. The more people hear about you, the more they think about you. The more they think about you, the more share they have on your mind. That's mindshare.

Now, between GT and Forza, which series has gotten more news pieces since the start of this gen? Which one's actually had a current-gen installment so far (let alone 2, going on 3)? Never underestimate the power of mindshare.

and forza released what, 4 games last gen yet gt5 alone sold like 10+ million on the ps3. forza isn't a system seller, gt is. forza can be an annual franchise yet i doubt people who are so into racing would flock and migrate to forza for that alone. at the end of the day, their "livery editor" isn't going to cut it. it was a novel idea, sure.

i think the cultural divide is the majority of western players always demanding 1) crash/collision/damage and 2) "realistic" ai a la drivatar.

while gt is not concerned about making a racing game like that. their focus is mostly on the driving, tracks, and cars.

i think people just want to crash the cars and go "woah look at all that destruction", or want the ai to screw up or drive like the games media do on events.

gt has mechanical damage, but yamauchi never wanted the car to totally stop but as always, there comes a point in the race where receiving too much mechanical damage would just not make you place anywhere but last.

I expect it to look amazing. Folks here who never play it, probably never play racing games very deeply, will post endless photoreal gifs and use the word "dat..." to describe stuff.

But I'm also expecting the core game won't be very good to play, it will lack features that have become common and expected in western developed racing games. It will overpromise and underdeliver. But those that don't play it will still use the endless pretty gifs for consolewarz bs.

You may call me a misery, but today I got my PS3 out of the cupboard and am doing the horrendous update process for GT6. It's enough to want make one want PD burnt to the ground. Hours later, it's still installing various patches.
This is silly. Gt5s issues can be traced to difficulty with ps3. Because GT5 and 6 had issues does not mean 7 will have the same issues. I think pd is out to make a statement with Gt7 on ps4. Judging a game before we have even seen a trailer.

They achieved this on PS3 with insane visual detail (except some tracks). I don't think it would be too hard for them to do it on PS4.

It wasn't really full 1920x1080 and wasn't locked 60fps, but I'm guessing on PS4 they won't have to worry about it or cut features like dynamic weather and day/night cycle to achieve it.

ethomaz

Banned
I hope to have a Prologue version for 2015 ;)

ya GT6 set the world on fire with incredible sales.

Oh wait, thats right, but it only did 1/4th of GT5 sales. Even with more 4times the userbase.
Care to share with us the source of GT6 sales? Or you are just guessing?

This is silly. Gt5s issues can be traced to difficulty with ps3. Because GT5 and 6 had issues does not mean 7 will have the same issues. I think pd is out to make a statement with Gt7 on ps4. Judging a game before we have even seen a trailer.

I never suggested GT7 would have these patching issues.

I think PD painted itself into a corner where screenshots became how the game was judged. And so VITAL things like framerate become less important, as long as your screenshots were prettier than any other game then this was the driving game to go for.

And the series really suffered due to this. I used to be massively into GT, so much so it became my job to write about it for some big sites back in the late nineties/early naughties. But even by GT4 the game was on the slide and going off in a direction that was ultimately going to result in the mess we saw with GT5.

I dearly want PD to knock it out of the park with GT7, but I feel Yamauchi-san is a bit like George Lucas. He created something amazing, but doesn't know what to do with it anymore.

This is fucking crazy. Such a bad management. Whoever thought making GT6 for PS3 was a good idea is an idiot.

Should have waited and released that game on PS4 this year or last year. Seriously wtf.

people complaining because sony supports its consoles from beginning to end, lol.

now, that they could have made a PS3/PS4 release is another different matter altogether though

and forza released what, 4 games last gen yet gt5 alone sold like 10+ million on the ps3. forza isn't a system seller, gt is.

And yet again, look at what happened with GT6. People keep using the excuse "oh, well you know PS4 was coming out so that took away attention", and yet I can think of similar situations where that didn't stop other games.

DKC2 didn't drop like a stone off the charts in 1995 just because PS1 and Saturn were the new toys on the block (or 3 failing to sell in '96 just because the N64 was coming out). RE4 on PS2 didn't drop just because the 360 was out. I don't remember FFIX selling badly just because PS2 was releasing and Dreamcast was around.

A series cannot sustain its popularity off the namesake of past installments forever, and anyone saying PD can just "phone in" GT7 and destroy Forza in sales are missing the point. There's a strong chance its sales would significantly decrease in that case, not to mention the media isn't going to care for sales when in terms of actual quality, one is clearly better than the other (mind you, I'm just speaking hypothetically here).

Top Bottom