• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 coming before 2017, with improved crash physics says Yamauchi

lfagt6npu3t.gif

Hanmik

Care to share with us the source of GT6 sales? Or you are just guessing?

I think he means the old news from around launch of the game..

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/gran_...gt5_managed_in_same_time_frame_in_the_us.html

Gran Turismo 6 looks set to be a high profile casualty of the jump to the new generation consoles, selling an estimated 300,000 copies in the US since its release, according to analysis firm Cowen & Co.

The 300,000 figure compares poorly with the 1,169,074 copies which Gran Turismo 5 managed in the same period back at its launch.

Sony hasn't offered any official sales figures for Gran Turismo 6.

Gestault

GT6 managed a lot of the improvements I would have wanted originally in 5, and they had a fantastic track list. Especially with the sim genre getting a bit of a bump this gen on consoles, I'm content to wait. Polyphony can put out amazing work, and even in places they falter, it's still interesting. I'm hoping they come into this gen having learned a lot from the last.

How about still having ps2 cars in a ps4 game? It goes both ways. Forza need night/weather. GT needs to drop assets from two generations ago.

gt has a course maker, has snow tracks, sand/dirt tracks, nascar, go karts, b-spec, i could go on and on.

the standard cars were not great visually. that's as big as an effect it can get. and they improved upon them through patches, so there's that. they don't look as good as the premiums, but they still look good. that's about it, really.

i mean, sure the standards can be an eyesore to a few. would i even equate it to the lack of night or weather in a racing game? no sane person would.

people and games media criticized that so much that honestly, that's just because they don't know how to criticize a racing game so they're just going to the visuals.

these are the same people that would criticize how the bullet drops in battlefield, how enemies make too much damage in an rpg, etc. that's how ignorant most games media are of racing games. i actually don't llike it how games media are basically cut from the same cloth. they tend to prefer certain genres and are very thorough in criticizing them, and how outspoken they are about not caring about the intricacies of other genres like fighting, racing, sports, etc. and how we're just supposed to go, "okay then."

i remember when forza used to widen the tracks and extended the corners so players can feel like a rockstar. or how it had power-assisted steering even when all assists were off? yeah.

ShamePain

Banned
And yet again, look at what happened with GT6. People keep using the excuse "oh, well you know PS4 was coming out so that took away attention", and yet I can think of similar situations where that didn't stop other games.

DKC2 didn't drop like a stone off the charts in 1995 just because PS1 and Saturn were the new toys on the block (or 3 failing to sell in '96 just because the N64 was coming out). RE4 on PS2 didn't drop just because the 360 was out. I don't remember FFIX selling badly just because PS2 was releasing and Dreamcast was around.

A series cannot sustain its popularity off the namesake of past installments forever, and anyone saying PD can just "phone in" GT7 and destroy Forza in sales are missing the point. There's a strong chance its sales would significantly decrease in that case, not to mention the media isn't going to care for sales when in terms of actual quality, one is clearly better than the other (mind you, I'm just speaking hypothetically here).

I think if anything the drop in sales showed how many of those 10+ mil GT5 sales were random folks and average joes who got pulled in by the hype, and GT6 sales showed the die hard GT fans that stick with the franchise no matter what.

Hanmik

This tell us nothing.

I can post now the Japan sales that reached 500k at end of 2014 compared with 780k for GT5 lifetime.

I know but that is all I can find on GT6 sales.. btw. I was not the one making the claim. That was Before U and Opus Angelorum.

ShamePain

Banned
gt has a course maker, has snow tracks, sand/dirt tracks, nascar, go karts, b-spec, i could go on and on.

the standard cars were not great visually. that's as big as an effect it can get. and they improved upon them through patches, so there's that. they don't look as good as the premiums, but they still look good. that's about it, really.

i mean, sure the standards can be an eyesore to a few. would i even equate it to the lack of night or weather in a racing game? no sane person would.

people and games media criticized that so much that honestly, that's just because they don't know how to criticize a racing game so they're just going to the visuals.

You know full well that standards weren't the only serious problem that GT5 had. Clunky menus, long loading times, strange menu organization, level grinding, fps drops, bad sound and plenty of others.
You can put lack of night/weather against T10 but they knew they couldn't pull it off without compromising framerate, they decided to stick with locked 60, PD allowed fps drops, it's two different philosophies. As for other things like wide tracks and assists T10 have been listening to the community, the tracks are now laserscanned, the assists can be turned off, etc. PD is starting to listen too apparently and hopefully we'll see the fruits of that in GT7.

ethomaz

Banned
I know but that is all I can find on GT6 sales.. btw. I was not the one making the claim. That was Before U and Opus Angelorum.
To be fair I believe GT6 sold less than GT5 but there is no evidence for any kind of comparison except what you showed (launch sales for US) ;)

You know full well that standards weren't the only serious problem that GT5 had. Clunky menus, long loading times, strange menu organization, level grinding, fps drops, bad sound and plenty of others.
You can put lack of night/weather against T10 but they knew they couldn't pull it off without compromising framerate, they decided to stick with locked 60, PD allowed fps drops, it's two different philosophies. As for other things like wide tracks and assists T10 have been listening to the community, the tracks are now laserscanned, the assists can be turned off, etc. PD is starting to listen too apparently and hopefully we'll see the fruits of that in GT7.

Pretty much all that are technical issues that can be traced to the ps3. Don't see these being issues on ps4.

MisterR

This is fucking crazy. Such a bad management. Whoever thought making GT6 for PS3 was a good idea is an idiot.

Should have waited and released that game on PS4 this year or last year. Seriously wtf.

Three years development isn't really crazy at all. Just because MS is a Forza factory doens't mean they need to pump out a GT every year.

Elandyll

Banned
"Before 2017" can really mean anything, from fall 2015 to December 2016.

But I kinda of expect at least a teaser at E3 this year (and would in fact not be surprised if it's a December 2015 title actually) :)

No they aren't. The choice where to allocate resources is one that exists on every platform.
Disagree. Ps3 was a unique platform that was notoriously hard to develop on. Kaz openly complained about it during Gt5s development. The slowness of menus and updates are the result of how the ps3 was.

Disagree. Ps3 was a unique platform that was notoriously hard to develop on. Kaz openly complained about it during Gt5s development. The slowness of menus and updates are the result of how the ps3 was.

He still could have made a game that ran at 60fps locked - but chose to put the resources elsewhere.

And yet again, look at what happened with GT6. People keep using the excuse "oh, well you know PS4 was coming out so that took away attention", and yet I can think of similar situations where that didn't stop other games.

DKC2 didn't drop like a stone off the charts in 1995 just because PS1 and Saturn were the new toys on the block (or 3 failing to sell in '96 just because the N64 was coming out). RE4 on PS2 didn't drop just because the 360 was out. I don't remember FFIX selling badly just because PS2 was releasing and Dreamcast was around.

A series cannot sustain its popularity off the namesake of past installments forever, and anyone saying PD can just "phone in" GT7 and destroy Forza in sales are missing the point. There's a strong chance its sales would significantly decrease in that case, not to mention the media isn't going to care for sales when in terms of actual quality, one is clearly better than the other (mind you, I'm just speaking hypothetically here).

1) games media are the last thing i wanna hear from regarding quality in racing games.

2) you're speaking as if all gt does is rely on its name for sales. just because it has an established name does not mean gt phones its games in. one gt games has more content than 4 forza games combined. and it actually has working gauges and the correct shifting animations.

3) those other cases do not invalidate the case for gt6. it wasn't marketed well, the focus of sony was on the ps4. i mean, you are comparing cases that aren't even similar except for the release timing. sony is releasing a last-gen game after a new one has launched. all of those other games were releasing on an older system that doesn't have a new system, and those that do (ff9 and dkc) only one is 1st party-marketed. the only case that gt6 is similar to in your case was dkc3. even then, dkc3 sold half of dkc2 so clearly dkc3 suffered because of n64. and ff9 also didn't sell as well as ff8.

Before blaming GT 5/6 name me a few RACING SIMULATORS (not arcade games) of the 7th generation with laserscanned 20+ tracks, aerodynamics simulation, day/night cycle, dynamic weather, endurance races and full USB-wheels support with Netkar/Corsa-like dynamic FFB (Hello, Forza-locked emulated FFB Fanatec!). And don't forget rally tracks, snow tracks and even carting.

Honestly, i don't see any competitors if we talk about mainstream car simulator games. Forzas was nice in they own right, but they had very limited wheel support and strong curcuit-race structure without any interesting options like weather. Forzas after about 4-5 hours was simply boring.

Sure GT 5/6 has A LOT of flaws (bad menus, odd sounds, some standart cars). But it's easily the most interesting and versatile simulator series of the last gen. And most fun with the wheel. Well, for me at least.

pager99

This is fucking crazy. Such a bad management. Whoever thought making GT6 for PS3 was a good idea is an idiot.

Should have waited and released that game on PS4 this year or last year. Seriously wtf.
yep i agree with you someone needs to be fired,at least give us end of 2015 ffs

Game4life

Banned
I would rather hear improved sounds instead of frivolous stuff like improved crash physics. Excited to see GT7 though.

Also not sure why people are complaining about the dev cycle. A 3 year dev cycle is perfectly acceptable. The difference in content between Forza and GT is extremely apparent so Forza can afford to be made in shorter cycles.

I think you are wrong.. You're underestimating Forza.

Forza is not as big as GT period. Nothing changes that fact. Will it be as big or bigger in the future? Maybe but as of now it is not. Why are people even having this popularity debate when the outcome is clear I dont know.

Who's to blame that PD overestimated the hardware and refused to scale back and other devs managed to realize their vision with what was given and achieve a smooth experience?
I never said they were blameless but PD were always ambitious and trying to stifle that could be a bad thing. Just wait and see what they do on ps4 before we bring pitchforks. I don't think we see the same issues on ps4. The ps3 was not a normal platform for development.

Before blaming GT 5/6 name me a few RACING SIMULATORS (not arcade games) of the 7th generation with laserscanned 20+ tracks, aerodynamics simulation, day/night cycle, dynamic weather, endurance races and full USB-wheels support with Netkar/Corsa-like dynamic FFB (Hello, Forza-locked emulated FFB Fanatec!). And don't forget rally tracks, snow tracks and even carting.

Honestly, i don't see any competitors if we talk about mainstream car simulator games. Forzas was nice in they own right, but they had very limited wheel support and strong curcuit-race structure without any interesting options like weather. Forzas after about 4-5 hours was simply boring.

Sure GT 5/6 has A LOT of flaws (bad menus, odd sounds, some standart cars). But it's easily the most interesting and versatile simulator series of the last gen. And most fun with the wheel. Well, for me at least.

Agree GT5 does vastly more then any other game despite its flaws. It's like people ignore everything it does.

DavidDesu

All I want is Driveclub style loading times (i.e. virtually invisible) and access to all the cars immediately, even if it's only in events outside of career mode. That wrapped up in GT's esoteric mix of car history, photography and motorsport and I'll be pretty happy. I EXPECT it to blow everything away graphically, they always did in past efforts and the PS4 can produce amazing visuals. Project Car while nice is really just a PC game ported. GT achieved amazing results in the past with the relatively puny PS1 and 2 they had to work with in the past and I expect PD will take full advantage of PS4 to push the visual boundary.

While improved crash physics isn't the most important thing to me, at least they have already stated to be reworking the sound engine since 2013. As for the game being out by 2016, they had stated 2015/2016 as far back as 2013 if memory serves me well.

Now Gran Turismo 6 being released on PS3 made a lot of sense before launch, due to having an 80 million userbase, Driveclub being a launch title/launch window title for the PS4 and Polyphony Digital wanting to extract all they could from the PS3 assets before moving on. Of course, sales haven't reflected that it was a good decision, If anything, I didn't expect the game to light up the charts anywhere close to what Gran Turismo 5 did because the PS4 had already been out, the PS4 having all the attention in the world and Gran Turismo 5's hype was simply bigger.

It should have been a cross-generational title, but Sony expected Driveclub to bridge the gap at launch/launch window on PS4. At the same time, the game should've defnitely launched sooner to avoid being completely overshadowed by the PS4, but then it would've released even more unfinished. Had they delayed it to 2014 as a cross-generational title, it would've cockblocked the now delayed Driveclub and they needed to save face by not delaying their game, especially after the delayed fiasco of Gran Turismo 5. They should've remastered it for this year, but if Gran Turismo 7's out next year, why not just release a full next-gen title instead?

If anything, there are far too many logistics concerning Gran Turismo 6 and a potential better launch or better sales. These can be all chalked off as excuses and people can just say no one cares about Gran Turismo anymore, but its usually interesting to check why it underperformed and under what circumstances, rather than just spouting off "it's over".

Best wishes.

Servbot24

Banned
Personally I didn't buy GT6 because I already have GT5, and they didn't do a good job of telling me why I should bother moving. I still don't know tbh, aside from some general graphics and physics tweaks.

That won't be a problem with GT7 since it's on new hardware.

Is every car going to have the crash physics (or visual damage) applied?

Also, I'm still here...begging for my Vita GT. I keep hoping...knowing I shouldn't :(.

If I have to take a guess, I think all the cars are going to have crash physics meaning reduced performance but only the Premium ones will have visual damage.
As for VitaGT...come on, you can't be serious!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Personally I didn't buy GT6 because I already have GT5, and they didn't do a good job of telling me why I should bother moving. I still don't know tbh, aside from some general graphics and physics tweaks.

That won't be a problem with GT7 since it's on new hardware.
Loading was so much better. And gt6 has so many fun events. Very good game IMO.

Gt6 is so misunderstood. The kvetching about why it wasn't a ps4 launch title is weird. There weren't any more ps4s to sell for a while! I would have liked a remaster in like April tho. Oh well. I'm in no rush.

Top Bottom