• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 |OT| Hitting the Apex

omegasc

2 VR sessions today, big interval between them. One was quick try. Went to Spa to check the elevation changes and OMG big mistake for the first try lol. Did a lap and my brain wanted to kill me but got used quicker than anticipated. Then I went full send in Eau Rouge/Radillion LOL. My brain thought my body was 2m to the right or something - what a weird sensation!
I stopped to continue working, and just now I finished session 2. Tried 'normal' games, did some other fitting tests. The Arctis Wireless Pro headset does not fit when using the VR, but the Pulse 3D does (as it should). On this second try I used Interlagos with an MX-5 (Roadster). First laps were weird sensations again, but I noticed I was getting used to it and continued. I believe I got about 40 min, with 2:06 as best lap. Not a great time but I only sometimes felt weird during the Senna S. A lot better than I thought I would on day 1!
VR is really a changer for racing games, wow! Felt like a new game, no kidding. You believe you get a lot from 3D on a flat screen, and after you try this, you realize how different it is.
Can't recommend enough, and can't stress enough how much of a different experience it is. You just know where your front tires are. Get VR2 when you can, guys.

Last edited:

omegasc

Did a VR Sardegna yesterday! First two laps I still got some of those weird feelings, but got used to it quicker than I thought. Best tip I can give to newcomers: at first, don't turn your head to look at the apex. Keep your head straight and don't move it. Follow with your eyes only. You'll get less dizzyness on corners and other movements while your brain adapts. By the end of the session, I was 80% adapted, with only a few occurrences, when overtaking on corners - unusual left-right movements.
Used a Mazda 787B, RH tyres (1 stop, no tyre change). VR makes you realize also how close to the ground and small that car is. Finished in about 25.5min, with a half-spin even. Best lap not that far from my best, even though I was not trying to, at 1:34.6. I think I usually go to low 1:33.
On the cons side... the HUD needs to be improved. I get it, realism and all, but how am I supposed to be strategic if I don't know the gap to the others? It's not like I have an enginner at the boxes to do that for me.
Also, it's VERY hard to notice other cars are close behind or beside you... there's only the car's rear view mirrors and engine sounds, but I would be glad to have the radar in a better position or the virtual rearview mirror as an option. I can foresee me doing silly mistakes online due to lack of awareness.
Sorry if I turned the last 2 posts into a blog. I promise it's the last one.

Last edited:

GladiusFrog

Did a VR Sardegna yesterday! First two laps I still got some of those weird feelings, but got used to it quicker than I thought. Best tip I can give to newcomers: at first, don't turn your head to look at the apex. Keep your head straight and don't move it. Follow with your eyes only. You'll get less dizzyness on corners and other movements while your brain adapts. By the end of the session, I was 80% adapted, with only a few occurrences, when overtaking on corners - unusual left-right movements.
Used a Mazda 787B, RH tyres (1 stop, no tyre change). VR makes you realize also how close to the ground and small that car is. Finished in about 25.5min, with a half-spin even. Best lap not that far from my best, even though I was not trying to, at 1:34.6. I think I usually go to low 1:33.
On the cons side... the HUD needs to be improved. I get it, realism and all, but how am I supposed to be strategic if I don't know the gap to the others? It's not like I have an enginner at the boxes to do that for me.
Also, it's VERY hard to notice other cars are close behind or beside you... there's only the car's rear view mirrors and engine sounds, but I would be glad to have the radar in a better position or the virtual rearview mirror as an option. I can foresee me doing silly mistakes online due to lack of awareness.
I would really like to see polyphony try their hand at a AI Radio communication system with the pit.

The feature was implemented in Project Cars 2 well, and makes a perfect match for people wearing VR or using no Hud.

Markio128

The best cars to use in VR are the open cockpit/convertibles, just for the sheer experience of it. Like the Mazda Roadster for example, as a good VR beginner car.

Unknown?

Pretty exciting isn't it. More content in the sense of tracks and cars seems to be a given but what else could there be? Feels like there is more to it than just that. And looking back what they have already added it's hard to think of significant additions.

I only need a date! Not this thursday sadly.
I'm hoping it will be a Spec II-like update ala GT5 OR even better, a track editor like in GT6.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!

F9luPXGbIAAXU9k

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
zoro-miles-morales.gif

LFA, 190E and GT3 in the same update holy shit. Add 1 track and this could be the best update they released.

Markio128

I really hope that they add more custom options. I just had a 20 car single make race on the Nurburgring with the Italia 458 and it was sublime. I’d have loved to have set up a championship. It took me back to playing Ferrari Challenge, which was one of my favourite racing games.

Markio128

How would you guys feel if PD added some new trophies to the game? I haven’t got the Platinum yet, but I’m sure I could if I put in the appropriate efforts.

I haven’t spent an extra bean on GT7 yet, but I’d be happy to pay something towards a decent new single player DLC.

Turk1993

How would you guys feel if PD added some new trophies to the game? I haven’t got the Platinum yet, but I’m sure I could if I put in the appropriate efforts.

I haven’t spent an extra bean on GT7 yet, but I’d be happy to pay something towards a decent new single player DLC.
I want more menu and race challenges tbh. Things like trophies are just not that important or top priority. Also maybe they could add more cockpit options like no steering wheel dashcam or more adjustable cockpit view. And i want that VR showroom in the normal mode also. Just want to enjoy the details of the car and interior without going in the VR mode.

omegasc

I don't care about trophies so I wouldn't mind. If it's an incentive for people to be back to the game, I'm all for it.

Markio128

I want more menu and race challenges tbh. Things like trophies are just not that important or top priority. Also maybe they could add more cockpit options like no steering wheel dashcam or more adjustable cockpit view. And i want that VR showroom in the normal mode also. Just want to enjoy the details of the car and interior without going in the VR mode.
I hope they do away with the menus, and add a new decent sized single player championship. I think the cafe menu system has served it’s purpose now, in getting gamers used to different tracks and vehicles, but I can’t see the benefit in adding more events to it.

My ideal update would be for an all new single player Sophy based championship, covering all of the different car classes and tracks.

Another thing I’d like, and it’s VR specific, is to get an improved replay mode. I’d looooove it if they allowed us to watch a race from an helicopter, or hot air balloon vantage point, instead of just being stood at the side of the track.

Turk1993

I hope they do away with the menus, and add a new decent sized single player championship. I think the cafe menu system has served it’s purpose now, in getting gamers used to different tracks and vehicles, but I can’t see the benefit in adding more events to it.
Yeah i also want more 1h races like the SPA race or the 30min Lemans race. Those are the best races in the game imo and uses dynamic tod and weather perfectly.

My ideal update would be for an all new single player Sophy based championship, covering all of the different car classes and tracks.
I think Sophy for all the ai cars is too heavy for the cpu to handle. Thats the reason we got a small taste of it with only 4 cars. I hope they can implement it in every race but its not gonna be easy.

Another thing I’d like, and it’s VR specific, is to get an improved replay mode. I’d looooove it if they allowed us to watch a race from an helicopter, or hot air balloon vantage point, instead of just being stood at the side of the track.
This would be interesting and far better than the basic track side jump cams we have now.

Markio128

Yeah i also want more 1h races like the SPA race or the 30min Lemans race. Those are the best races in the game imo and uses dynamic tod and weather perfectly.

I think Sophy for all the ai cars is too heavy for the cpu to handle. Thats the reason we got a small taste of it with only 4 cars. I hope they can implement it in every race but its not gonna be easy.

This would be interesting and far better than the basic track side jump cams we have now.
Yep, the longer races are superb. I often set up same make 10-20 lap custom races, with variable weather and sped up time, but more options in the custom menu would be really welcome.

I guess the only way to get Sophy into the game is to add a few into the normal pack. I wouldn’t mind that as a compromise. Or just stick to the 4/5 car races - I thought they were really fun and challenging when they were available for that period.

I do like the time trials they add within sport mode - I earned a cool 3 million credits just this week, but I miss the time Trials from GT5, where you could pick any car on any track and leave your time on a global leaderboard. I remember being in the top 5 for a good while on the Eiger Nordwand track. That’s a track I’d love to see return, along with Pikes Peak.

Con-Z-epT

I've asked it before but what are the best races for credits?

Le Mans WTC 700 (31 minutes on avarage) 825,000 CR
Sardegna Road Track WTC 800 (25 minutes with good pace in a Gr.2 car) 727,500 CR
Spa Francorchamps WTC 800 (1 hour endurance) 1,500,000 CR
Tokyo Expressway WTC 600 (around 25 minutes) 825,000 CR

The credit values are for finishing the race with a clean race bonus.

Has anything changed?

Still the same.

Unknown?

Le Mans WTC 700 (31 minutes on avarage) 825,000 CR
Sardegna Road Track WTC 800 (25 minutes with good pace in a Gr.2 car) 727,500 CR
Spa Francorchamps WTC 800 (1 hour endurance) 1,500,000 CR
Tokyo Expressway WTC 600 (around 25 minutes) 825,000 CR

The credit values are for finishing the race with a clean race bonus.

Still the same.
See that's what I remember reading, at least about Le Mans, but when I went to that track it told me there were no race events. Do you have to finish a certain point to get those?

Con-Z-epT

See that's what I remember reading, at least about Le Mans, but when I went to that track it told me there were no race events. Do you have to finish a certain point to get those?

Have you finished all the Menus in the Cafe?

Con-Z-epT

Someone over at GTPlanet mentioned, in regards to Nenkai's: "direct response to FM8", that it could mean every race track gets updated with weather since every track in FM8 has weather.

Not to read to much into this but i found this thought pretty interesting.

Unknown?

Someone over at GTPlanet mentioned, in regards to Nenkai's: "direct response to FM8", that it could mean every race track gets updated with weather since every track in FM8 has weather.

Not to read to much into this but i found this thought pretty interesting.
That'd be pretty sweet! Man, been wanting Willow Springs in rain. Yeah, it gets like an inch of rain there a year but it still does rain! Would also like snow!

Con-Z-epT

1. New cinematic intro.

The opening cinematic that plays when starting up the game will be updated.

2. Seven new cars, from muscle cars to the latest EV sports car, will be added.

Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi '68
Dodge Challenger SRT Demon '18
Lexus LFA '10
Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5-16 Evolution II '91
NISMO 400R '95
Porsche 911 GT3 RS (992) '22
Tesla Model 3 Performance '23

3. The 'Lake Louise' track, a new original snow track based in Canada, will be added.

Lake Louise Long Track
Lake Louise Short Track
Lake Louise Tri-Oval

4. Three 'Extra Menus' will be added to the Café.

Three Extra Menus will be added to the 'Extra Menus' section of the Café, challenging you to collect new sets of cars.
[Extra Menu No. 31] 'Collection: Road-Going Racers' (Collector Level 30 and above)
[Extra Menu No. 32] 'Collection: Lexus' (Collector Level 34 and above)
[Extra Menu No. 33] 'Collection: Red Bull X Series' (Collector Level 49 and above)

5. A plethora of new challenges, including 'Weekly Challenges', will be added, evolving the way to experience 'World Circuits.'

The 'World Circuits' pavilion, where you can take on many different races around Europe, the Americas, and Asia will greatly evolve. In Spec II, there will be five 'Standard' level and two 'Expert' level races added, plus the 'Arcade Race' will evolve into the 'Quick Race' and made easier to use. Also, in addition to the standard AI drivers, on the PS5 version it will be possible to race against 'Gran Turismo Sophy,' the prototype racing AI agent for which development is still ongoing. There will be a new 'Event Directory' menu that will allow you to easily search for and join races from a list, and there will be a new 'Weekly Challenges' feature that awards you prizes for clearing all of the races contained within. The Weekly Challenges menu will appear after watching the ending movie, and the events will change to a new set every week.

6. New 'Master Licence' events will be added.

A Master Licence level will be added to the 'Licence Centre' pavilion, where you can learn the basic of sports driving. Starting from the application of basic controls, 50 new more difficult tests that can be challenged after clearing the 'Normal Licence' tests will be added.

7. The 'Meeting Place' evolves into the 'Paddocks.'

The 'Meeting Place,' where you can quickly enjoy online racing, will evolve into the 'Paddocks,' which simulates a parking lot for player’s cars. In the Paddocks, you can text chat with other players and use emoticons to communicate, as well as zoom in on specific cars that players have brought to see them up close. And you will be able to access this area from the World Circuits as well as from the 'Multiplayer' pavilion.

8. Up to four players will be able to race in split screen (PS5 only.)

The '2P Split Screen' multiplayer mode will be updated to accommodate up to four players. You can split a single screen into four sections to have up to four players race together on the same monitor or TV (Only on PS5). The updated local multiplayer allows you to change cars in the pre-race menu, making it more user friendly than ever. Each player must have an individual controller in order to play in Split Screen races.

9. Slower 'Shutter Speeds' will be added, making Race Photos even more versatile.

Slower shutter speeds will be available on the 'Race Photo' mode used to photograph pictures from replays after a race. Shutter speeds of 1/1 – 1/30 seconds will be available. With this you can now photograph dark objects to be brighter, photograph traces of light, and take pictures that capture dynamic movements. The slower shutter speed settings will allow a greater breadth of expression in your photographs.

10. A new Scapes Spot - 'Polyphony Digital Tokyo Office' - and 'Player's Favourites,' a new Scapes collection, will be added.

A special 'Player's Favourites' section will be added to Scapes, introducing spots that are popular amongst players, and the 'Polyphony Digital Tokyo Office' will be added as a new spot commemorating the 3000th photo spot added to the mode.

11. A new dashboard, where you can get an overview of your game progression, will be added.

A new dashboard, where you can get an overview of your progress in the game, from the number of cars in your garage to your progression in the World Circuits, Collector Level, etc. will be added.

Markio128

I don’t fully understand the changes in the world circuit pavilion tbh. Are PD saying there will be entirely new races, separate from what’s already there, or just replacing/changing the names?

Top Bottom